What's Worse?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Re: What's Worse?

"Hey, if your going to quote me make sure I was the one who actually said it." 'Kelvana33'

"I'll continue to stick up for fighting in the NHL, but you've got to manage the league's reputation too, and get rid of this total goon nonsense." - 'Fletcher1'

"Perfectly said." - 'Kelvana33'

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to gord11's comment:

"Hey, if your going to quote me make sure I was the one who actually said it." 'Kelvana33'

"I'll continue to stick up for fighting in the NHL, but you've got to manage the league's reputation too, and get rid of this total goon nonsense." - 'Fletcher1'

"Perfectly said." - 'Kelvana33'

There, you got it. And yes I agree with him. I like fighting, but a guy pounding away on another who doesnt want to fight is kind of stupid and bad for the NHL don't you think?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

"http://www.deathcamps.info/" - 'Not-A-Shot'

Wow! Way ta bring da flamethrowa, dude. You win.

And MY 'crazy talk' has changed the conversation?!?

Ok..."Emery's was worse"..."Scott's was worse"...blah blah blah

Fighting affects nothing - in hockey - except the entertainment value of those it entertains.

It is not making the game better it is not making players safer it is not making any of us..richer

Quotes from Brian Burke in a column written 2 days ago. One of you guys knows the game. Is it him or you?

Reduced to its simplest truth, fighting is one of the mechanisms that regulates the level of violence in our game. Players who break the rules are held accountable by other players. The instigator rule has reduced accountability. Eliminating fighting would render it extinct.

Hockey is a game played on the edge. Large men with tempers explode around an enclosed surface carrying carbon-fiber instruments. They are legally permitted — in fact, encouraged — to collide with each other at high speeds. We all want this physicality, adrenaline and contact. We all treasure it.

It’s hard to quantify where our game would be without fighting. It’s easy to be repelled by a scary injury such as George Parros’. But I thought the hits on Danny Boyle and Niklas Kronwall were much more dangerous, as was the hit on Max Talbot (which I believe was legal). These are examples of times when fighting did not act as a deterrent. In fact, we can all recite a list of players who clearly operate outside of a system of honor. But today, these are the exceptions. Horrific injuries, stars being mugged, rats who run around hitting people from behind — these stand out to us because they don’t happen with regularity. It’s fighting that keeps these incidents to a minimum.

Ninety-eight percent of NHL players voted to keep fighting in the game, yet somehow members of the news media take it upon themselves to try to convince the players that the scribes know what is best for them. They don’t write about the times a heavyweight skates by his opponent’s bench to say, “Settle down, or I’ll settle you down,” and it works. They don’t notice a tough guy warning an opponent at a faceoff. They’ve never heard a star player march into their office, slam the door and demand the team get tougher because he’s getting killed out there by opponents playing without fear. They’ve never seen a chippy game on the edge settle down after a good fight.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

Trust me folks  ..........

The hockey gods have a way of evening the score.

Emery will get his (one way or another) ~ no doubt about it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Dezaruchi, Brian Burke is a p*mp. A snake-oil salesman, a quack, a dinosaur. Seriously, 4 underlined paragraphs?!

"...They don’t write about the times a heavyweight skates by his opponent’s bench to say, “Settle down, or I’ll settle you down,” and it works. They don’t notice a tough guy warning an opponent at a faceoff. They’ve never heard a star player march into their office, slam the door and demand the team get tougher because he’s getting killed out there by opponents playing without fear. They’ve never seen a chippy game on the edge settle down after a good fight."

Please.

When I read this s**t, ths self-puffery from one of the worst, I know that fighting must be on it's way out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

And by 'flimsy threats', I mean, 'getting beaten up' is only a symbol anymore - a show of  'the code' except more like you'd see displayed in a parade or a play. Makes a would-be assassin think as he's cruising toward some unsuspecting victim, 'if that's the worst thing that can happen, if getting 'beaten up' is the worst thing that can happen, what do I care if I end another guy's career? Better his than mine,"

Call fighting what you will, but it is no deterrent to anything, it affects no part of the game, it keeps nothing to a minimum, anymore

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Dezaruchi, Brian Burke is a p*mp. A snake-oil salesman, a quack, a dinosaur. Seriously, 4 underlined paragraphs?!

"...They don’t write about the times a heavyweight skates by his opponent’s bench to say, “Settle down, or I’ll settle you down,” and it works. They don’t notice a tough guy warning an opponent at a faceoff. They’ve never heard a star player march into their office, slam the door and demand the team get tougher because he’s getting killed out there by opponents playing without fear. They’ve never seen a chippy game on the edge settle down after a good fight."

Please.

When I read this s**t, ths self-puffery from one of the worst, I know that fighting must be on it's way out.

Thats bc you never played the sport.  what burke wrote is exactly what 98% of the players think.  Gretzky who is one of the most well spoken and pro hockey guys around had dave semenko.  He took mcsorely with him to LA.  Stevie Y had Probert and Gallant.  have you always had this view?  You sound exactly like the media types burke, cherry et al refer to.  98% Gord.  they will take body contact out before they take fighting out.  Go research what the true greats say about fighting.  I think a large majority in here are against the staged skating clown fights.  But a true hockey tilt when two men get mad and wanna settle it is fine by me.  

Mario Lemieux likely has a longer career if he had Probert.  He used to get owned by Darius.  If they would simply remove the instigator penalty things would balance out some.  The fear of having to answer the bell keeps many players honest.  Ive heard old nhl types talk about Cooke.  they say he never would have lasted bc the players police themselves.  It would have been dealt with.  

Do you not think Domis sucker punch on Ulf was perfect justice, or Cam rag dolling him.  I sure do.  How about Kanes one punch on Cooke.  

What Burke wrote is about as acurate an article as you will find.  And i cant stand the man.  

glen murray in his first tour of duty told me about a time when they played the rangers.  Murray was just in his early years.  Well he hit messier.   Messier didnt like it.  kocur and beukeboom were leaning over the boards saying they were gonna kill him.  Glen said it was the scariest moment of his career.  Beukeboom later in his career hit glen with a hit that then tough guy matt johnson didnt like.  johnson essentially ended his career.  

I love listening to stories about how the tough guys of that era took care of things.  I dont remember gretzky ever getting pushed around.  Only one time, guess when that was.  International hockey when Suter ran him.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

"The fear of having to answer the bell keeps many players honest.  Ive heard old nhl types talk about Cooke.  they say he never would have lasted bc the players police themselves.  It would have been dealt with." - 'shuperman'

This is one section of a very well-written bit, shuperman  And I mean that, for what it's worth.

It's kinda comforting to hear what these guys woulda done, but I just don't buy it anymore. Things have changed..

You can lament the loss of what the threat of getting 'beaten up' used to do.
    But, lets face it, none of these modern guys is really going to be intimidated by such flimsy threats of retribution anymore

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

"The fear of having to answer the bell keeps many players honest.  Ive heard old nhl types talk about Cooke.  they say he never would have lasted bc the players police themselves.  It would have been dealt with." - 'shuperman'

This is one section of a very well-written bit, shuperman  And I mean that, for what it's worth.

It's kinda comforting to hear what these guys woulda done, but I just don't buy it anymore. Things have changed..

You can lament the loss of what the threat of getting 'beaten up' used to do.
    But, lets face it, none of these modern guys is really going to be intimidated by such flimsy threats of retribution anymore

Not true at all Gord! If anything, they'd be more afraid. The players are twice as strong as they used to be & punch twice as hard. You don't think someone like Lapuke wouldn't be afraid if the players were allowed more freedom to take care of the weasals like him? FWIW- whether you want to buy it or not is irrelevent. Think what you want about Burke, but he's been involved on how the inside part of the game still works a lot more than you . He's managed a team to the cup & helped make a few others contenders in the best league in the world. He knows the game & the players too. That doesn't change, just because you say "When I read this s**t, ths self-puffery from one of the worst," he's still far more knowledgable than you are. You're the one who's actually doing the "self puffey" trying to argue facts that Burke uses. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Bingo post, those pads are so thin that a punch would really hurt, heh! Ha. Philadelphia won last night.  I don't think the fight helped that score? Washington v. Philadelphia on December 15th. 

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Blindside headshots at full speed are far worse, not even close. 

Emery picked a fight with a less than willing combatant, big deal.  Happens enough that it shouldn't surprise anyone, just unique in the fact that it was a goalie fight.  High marks to Holtby for trying to make a go of it as compared to turtling. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

"he's still far more knowledgable than you are..." - 'NeelyOrrBourque

As the old saying goes, 'NeelyOrrBourque' - I don't have to out-run the bear...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

"he's still far more knowledgable than you are..." - 'NeelyOrrBourque

As the old saying goes, 'NeelyOrrBourque' - I don't have to out-run the bear...

You're smart alec comment still doesn't change that Burke knows more than you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I don't particularly like Brian Burke but the guy knows hockey better than me or anyone else who posts on the forum. Suggesting otherwise is just foolish.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

"You're smart alec comment still doesn't change that Burke knows more than you." - 'NeelyOrrBourque'

'NeelyOrrBourque', in an anonymous hockey forum, I don't have to out-run Brian Burke, I only have to out-run you.

Please. You're defending your stance on fighting by defending Brian Burke who happens to validate your stance on fighting. If Brian Burke, the great and entirely predictable oracle came out against fighting, you'd be saying far worse things about him than I have.

I didn't claim I knew more about hockey than Brian Burke.

Burke's comments were being held aloft as some kind of golden proof, some kind of grand eloquence in defence of fighting. I merely pointed out one of the bits of his 'sermon' that I found particularly melodramatic, particularly hoary, particularly...'Burke'.

Brian Burke's deep ego-driven need to insinuate himself into every conversation is what got him thrown out of Toronto - he had become (if only in his mind) bigger than the team. I'm not the first to charge Brian Burke with 'self-puffery'.  

I don't agree with him. I respect him enough to resent the extent of his influence - an influence that continues to give oxygen to the folly of fighting in the NHL. I resepct him enough to resent how much the likes of him are holding the game back.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

What Burke wrote is about as acurate an article as you will find.  And i cant stand the man.  

glen murray in his first tour of duty told me about a time when they played the rangers.  Murray was just in his early years.  Well he hit messier.   Messier didnt like it.  kocur and beukeboom were leaning over the boards saying they were gonna kill him.  Glen said it was the scariest moment of his career.  Beukeboom later in his career hit glen with a hit that then tough guy matt johnson didnt like.  johnson essentially ended his career.  

I love listening to stories about how the tough guys of that era took care of things.  I dont remember gretzky ever getting pushed around.  Only one time, guess when that was.  International hockey when Suter ran him.  

Story brings back memories. I remember the sucker punch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pS_D3FP4Zs

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I don't know which is worse, Scott's hit or Emery's thuggery. Emery's actions are further along the crapiness scale, like book said.

Not that Emery wasn't a deebag before his arrival in Philly, but you could only expect it to get worse there. The Flyers have a history of making scummy players scummier or even clean players somewhat suspect. Briere for example (who is now taking a crash course on le diving) became a chippy, sometimes cheapshot player while there. It's like they have a deebaginator ray that they shoot their players with upon arrival. Philly remains, as always, in my top 3 most hated teams. They should change their logo on their sweater to a bag of dirt.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

"You're smart alec comment still doesn't change that Burke knows more than you." - 'NeelyOrrBourque'

'NeelyOrrBourque', in an anonymous hockey forum, I don't have to out-run Brian Burke, I only have to out-run you.

Please. You're defending your stance on fighting by defending Brian Burke who happens to validate your stance on fighting. If Brian Burke, the great and entirely predictable oracle came out against fighting, you'd be saying far worse things about him than I have.

I didn't claim I knew more about hockey than Brian Burke.

Burke's comments were being held aloft as some kind of golden proof, some kind of grand eloquence in defence of fighting. I merely pointed out one of the bits of his 'sermon' that I found particularly melodramatic, particularly hoary, particularly...'Burke'.

Brian Burke's deep ego-driven need to insinuate himself into every conversation is what got him thrown out of Toronto - he had become (if only in his mind) bigger than the team. I'm not the first to charge Brian Burke with 'self-puffery'.  

I don't agree with him. I respect him enough to resent the extent of his influence - an influence that continues to give oxygen to the folly of fighting in the NHL. I resepct him enough to resent how much the likes of him are holding the game back.

Really? I thought he was dismissed due to the teams lack of success.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

"I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup & shi t out a smarter statement than that!" - 'NeelyOrrBourque'

Bon apetit!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

The elbow to the head is worse.....You dont know its coming and can not protect yourself. At least someone who gets grabbed can defend themselves or fall to the ground and cover up.

Sections
Shortcuts