What's Wrong With Bergeron?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

What's Wrong With Bergeron?

Figured since there are threads railing on Eriksson and now a "Marchand for Dubinsky" thread, thought I would ask the question, what's wrong with Bergeron? 

Through 25 games, he is 6-5-11, on pace for 36 points (0 points in his last 6gp).  He has fewer points than Krug, Smith, the much-maligned Eriksson and Soderberg.  He had 32 in 42gp LY in the short-season.

Is it the play of his linemates?

Loss of Seguin?

Lingering impact of the brutal playoff season?

No panic here, thinking his numbers round out in the end to somewhere between 50-60 points, but he is off to slow start.  Thought it fair to discuss all players on a line that has has not produced as expected.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Re: What's Wrong With Bergeron?

He just signed a long and big contract too!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

I think bergreron and marchand feeling nostalgic. They miss listening to seguin's romantic adventures. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Madhouse27. Show Madhouse27's posts

Bergeron seems to be getting it done out there. He's actually looked faster to me this year, but it might just be a perception thing skating beside Eriksson instead of the speedy Seguin. No nock on Loui, he just has a more deliberate style, whereas Seguin was at times, absolutely flying. I think Bergy's totals probably just reflect a new line that has been disrupted by injuries, demotion and is still yet to completely come together. How are his face off totals looking? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

It's a good question. He hasn't been his normal self in terms of controlling the play and producing points, BUT... after last year's deep Playoffs run and the injuries that came with it, I think he's deserving of a lot of slack. At least until the Playoffs to see where he is at physically and emotionally. That coupled with the loss of a regular winger, lack of production from the 'lil ball o hate', and most likely a very short off season training schedule, all adds up to a slow start for Patrice. 

Also, that was a really tough ending to the Playoffs last year. Sometimes things like that can take a long time to bounce back from. 

I hope he'll be fine, and fully expect it. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Bergeron is doing fine defensefly and it only takes one player on that line to underacheive to affect his offense, but todays game showed a totally different line finally. The only thing i ask is, is anyone noticing that bergeron is looking a little thin ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Well, good thing the 2nd line responded tonight. Without them, they lose.

When Bergeron got "beat" by Nash, I thought he maintained pretty good leverage despite his position, and I think Rask let in a softy.

I'm confident he and the rest of that line will turn it on soon. They just need to have a little hot streak of their own to get their numbers up to par. It's only a matter of time, and I think each of them finishes with over 20 goals and 50 points. With the improved play of the 3rd and 4th lines, and the defensemen chipping in more, I think that will be more than enough offense to be considered a "solid" offense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to marco0863's comment:

I think bergreron and marchand feeling nostalgic. They miss listening to seguin's romantic adventures. 

That was definetly a 4:20 LOL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[Introducing: the shupe protocol.  Lazy as a beat cop in a posh neighbourhood?  Don't want to read something that goes on longer than the time it takes to eat a Tim Bit?  Read only the bolded text below.  Bookboy...looking out for you.]

"Wrong" isn't the word I'd choose, but then I don't think anything is "wrong" with Eriksson either.  I think there has been something off with Marchand, but that's been covered.

My theory?  There are a couple of things "going on" with PB.  Look at his stats: 8-5-13, +10 and 60%+ on faceoffs. Hits, takeaways, giveaways, shooting % - all are consistent with his production over the last three years.  Eight goals to date projected over the season would be 24-25 goals - slightly up over his 22 in back to back full seasons.  So in almost every way, he's having the same broad and positive impact on the Bruins' results as he always has.  Gotta love that.

When I watch, it seems like Bergeron is attempting more shots, or, at least, when he doesn't have the puck, he's setting up to get open for one-timers much more regularly than he has in years past.  He's lower in the zone, too - maybe an effect of having Eriksson on his wing rather than Seguin?  He doesn't play as high because he isn't covering for the kid?  Anyway, last year, he actually took more shots per game (misses + SOG), but he's up about half an attempt per game over the last two full seasons.  I think part of this is that Bergeron challenged himself to score goals at the pace he did in the playoffs last year, and he's made some adjustments to try to do that. 

This is affecting his assist numbers a bit because if he's looking to shoot more often, he's making the extra pass less.  And really, that's the only number that's down.  So the other part of my theory is that yes, with Marchand and Eriksson scoring at a slower pace, Bergeron isn't picking up assists on passes to his wings.  That's started to change since the beginning of the season when it sure looked like Eriksson was on the outside of a two man clique.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Figured since there are threads railing on Eriksson and now a "Marchand for Dubinsky" thread, thought I would ask the question, what's wrong with Bergeron? 

Through 25 games, he is 6-5-11, on pace for 36 points (0 points in his last 6gp).  He has fewer points than Krug, Smith, the much-maligned Eriksson and Soderberg.  He had 32 in 42gp LY in the short-season.

No panic here, thinking his numbers round out in the end to somewhere between 50-60 points, but he is off to slow start.  Thought it fair to discuss all players on a line that has has not produced as expected.

His linemates have not helped, not there when Patrice needs them. Bergeron is getting the puck taken away from down low more than usual. His unbelievable poke-checking in the defensive zone has been stellar. He hasn't had a ton of takeaways, that i'm used too seeing, in the offensive zone.

I think the injuries might still be lingering because I don't see his usual jump on the puck during the forecheck. Last year Rick Nash would not have done that to Bergeron. Haven't seen Bergeron throw a good hit all year.

I do see signes of that line picking up. As mentioned on all the Marchand threads, that line is about to start too click.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I know many think hes a lock.  And i would want him on the team.  But logan and kunitz are gonna be very hard to keep off.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Marchand has been awful thus far and the other side has been liquid.  Unless we're talking about an All World scorer, it's tough for anyone to be productive in that situation.

Also, according to Book, " Look at his stats: 8".

(That's about all you need to read from whatever that guy writes.  If it's not bolded, go with the first three words and then the last two.  You'll get the full monty and save two hours.)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

You'll get the full monty and save two hours.

Is that why you stopped taking girls to the movies?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Is that why you stopped taking girls to the movies?

I'll never stop.  I just don't tell you prudes about it!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

And we thank you.

Go ahead and read the first three words and the last two.  Still better content than Fluto.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I hate when people blame linemates. If Sidney Crosby doesn't score you don't start talking about Chris Kunitz having a bad thumb. If you're a star you make things happen and Bergeron hasn't been doing enough of that. Personally, I blame the jersey tuck ban. He isn't the same player without his shirt stuffed in his pants.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Loss of Seguin?

Nuthin. Whatsamatta U?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to OatesCam's comment:

I hate when people blame linemates. If Sidney Crosby doesn't score you don't start talking about Chris Kunitz having a bad thumb. If you're a star you make things happen and Bergeron hasn't been doing enough of that. Personally, I blame the jersey tuck ban. He isn't the same player without his shirt stuffed in his pants.

Bergeron is doing fine. His game isn't necessarilly designed to improve the offensive numbers of those around him. His game is designed to help the Bruins team win hockey games. I honestly don't care if the Bruins end up with nobody in the top 50-100 scorers provided they take another good run at the Cup. Let Crosby, Malkin and the Pens win scoring races and individual awards. Team accomplishments are better to these eyes.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

This post makes sense

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

I know many think hes a lock.  And i would want him on the team.  But logan and kunitz are gonna be very hard to keep off.  

Babcock's quote fits in very well with a Bergeron discussion too.
    http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/02/babcock-the-most-important-thing-is-trust/

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Funny all the comments on there go to Subban and how he doesn't fit what Babcock said, whereas I automatically thought of Bergeron and how given that criteria he'd be a lock.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Bergeron isn't a star on the stat sheet.  He could stop the 1980 Russians on a 5 on 1, but at the other end of the ice, his linemates are the key to his point totals.

And the jersey tuck.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/02/babcock-the-most-important-thing-is-trust/

The way pk is playing it would be a crime to keep him off.  If the criteria is trust how did nash, heatley, moreau and joe make it last time?   Im all about trusting in a player but this team has to be built on skating.   Pk is the most mobile dman on the canadian roster.  Hes the best on the pp. I think he will be in the top 7.  

Logan and Kunitz i believe are the exact type hes referring to.  I would love a bergie, logan richards line as a shut down line.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I hate when people blame linemates. If Sidney Crosby doesn't score you don't start talking about Chris Kunitz having a bad thumb. If you're a star you make things happen and Bergeron hasn't been doing enough of that. 

I'm not thinking neccasarily "blame" but more it would be helpful for Patrice too be in sync with Eriksson by now and Marchand scoring n creating more. Again I don't think Bergeron is 100% but he can't really hold onto that forever.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

I actually think that since this article came out after the 6-1 Detroit win over the B's. He could very well be talking about Bergeron. He was a +/- of 0, 68% on the draws, 2 take aways & 0 give aways. This is coming off a lopsided loss, where he had the 3rd highest TOI total for all Bruin forwards. So....really- who can you trust! Be calm it's Bergeron!

Sections
Shortcuts