Wheeler is NOT a winger!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

Wheeler is NOT a winger!

Wheeler should never play wing again.  His game at center is much better, even if it is only a small sample size.  He is big enough to create opportunities, just fantastic at finishing them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

Re: Wheeler is NOT a winger!

with savy coming  back  this could be hard to do ,but in time i like this move ,wheeler potted some garbage vs LA that started the comeback sweet

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Wheeler is much better at battling in the middle than on the boards. There are a number of reasons why this is possible, not going to get into them, but it's very interesting to see....his speed helps him be more physical in the middle than on the wing....Krejci, Bergeron, Savard, Campbell are all significantly better at faceoffs though....

Interesting solution (that will likely never happen): Put Wheeler on Bergeron's line, have Bergy take the faceoffs and then have them switch when the play begins. Bergy is great along the walls, though he's also good in the middle.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Watching Wheeler live last night I saw that he has allot of value on the PK but having only that can still get you traded. Blake plays much more naturally at Center he doesn't struggle in his defensive positioning. Blake still me drove crazy not playing with that edge he promised at the beginning of the season as he simply refuses to take the body instead he just meh...poke checks.

Wheeler will not get to 30 goals he'll just lumber at 20 per if he doesn't change his mindset. LA's young strong pushed him off his skates several times in the corners. With Savard coming back Blake better watching Caron and Marchand's drive to the net.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Interesting that Wheeler prior to the Bruins always played center, and appears more capable there than on the wing. What does that mean for the Bruins? If Savard comes back first the CAP indicates that Ryder is gone and Wheeler is back on the wing probably with Savard and Seguin. When Sturm returns, the Bruins brass will have to decide who goes and who stays.According to the CAP numbers, presented in other blogs, Paille's cap would offset Sturm's return. Then, For a team who needs a center, Wheler might be the answer, particularly if they have a young capable defenseman to offer. Otherwise Wheler stays until a realistic trade develops. All of this could be dirupted if Savvy returns with less capability and the B's decide to flip-flop Savvy and wheeler.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Wheeler is NOT a winger!:
    [QUOTE]Watching Wheeler live last night I saw that he has allot of value on the PK but having only that can still get you traded. Blake plays much more naturally at Center he doesn't struggle in his defensive positioning. Blake still me drove crazy not playing with that edge he promised at the beginning of the season as he simply refuses to take the body instead he just meh...poke checks. Wheeler will not get to 30 goals he'll just lumber at 20 per if he doesn't change his mindset. LA's young strong pushed him off his skates several times in the corners. With Savard coming back Blake better watching Caron and Marchand's drive to the net.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Not saying that Wheeler is on this level, but a quality poke checker can be far more effective than someone who always plays just the body. Anyone remember Rick Middleton?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wheeler is NOT a winger! : Not saying that Wheeler is on this level, but a quality poke checker can be far more effective than someone who always plays just the body. Anyone remember Rick Middleton?
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    I certainly remember Nifty.The man could stickhandle in a phone booth.He was the sort of player whose game would translate to any era.I consider him as one of the most fun to watch Bruins of all time.Even when he didn't make the scoresheet it seemed like he did something that left you shaking your head every game.Always a class act too......I gotta go now.I think I'm gonna cry.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Wheeler needs to work on his "NOT GETTING KNOCKED OFF THE PUCK" more than anything else. He never wins puck battles or positional battles. No denying he looks better at center. I'm liking some of the things he is doing in the last 3 games. He is sound defensively but that's not what is needed out of him all the time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Wheeler needs to work on his "NOT GETTING KNOCKED OFF THE PUCK" more than anything else. He never wins puck battles or positional battles. No denying he looks better at center. I'm liking some of the things he is doing in the last 3 games. He is sound defensively but that's not what is needed out of him all the time.
    Posted by jwb413[/QUOTE]
    I tink"never"is extreme.It only seems that way.I think he's playing a much tougher game than before but still not as much as we would all like to see.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Never is harsh but he has to prove his worth. OK rarely might be better!!!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Never is harsh but he has to prove his worth. OK rarely might be better!!!!!!
    Posted by jwb413[/QUOTE]
    Let's agree we'd both like to see a more aggressive Wheeler develop.It may never happen but it'd be nice.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I share the impression that Proud Mary seems to be getting a roll on, but when I look at the results of his improved play, it's still not impressive.  He's 9th on the team in scoring, tied with Brad Marchand but getting the nod on goal total.   The only forwards he's outscoring are Caron, Campbell, and Thornton - so two fourth liners and a rookie.  It gets stinkier if you look at his game logs.  He didn't register a point until the fourth game when he had an assist.  He had assists in two straight games, then nothing for three games.  Then a goal.  Then nothing for two games.  Then a goal.  This pattern continues - one goal every three games - up to the Kings game when he scored and had an assist for the first time in 13 games!  Great playmaker that Proud Mary. That was his first multi-point game of the year.  He's also had more than 2 shots in only three games - two of them goose eggs on the score sheet.

I guess we are talking baby steps here and maybe he's found some confidence.  One goal every three games would add up to 27 over a year, and I think the Bruins would take that.  I wouldn't move heaven and earth to keep him at the pivot though.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

I'm not convinced he should remain at center but if his play tails off putting him back at wing, what else remains for him? I hate to keep going back to last year but when you look at "BIG WHEEL'S" play, that can't be part of this years team. Right now he is responsible for keeping his wingers involved and when he gets around the net he seems more comfortable. He's a good skater for a big guy. IMO he gets more than his fair share of chances to score and comes up short.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

He's also a good person to have just standing in front of the other goalie.

Sections
Shortcuts