Wheeler officially MIA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

Wheeler officially MIA

Entertaining game last night verse Pitt. Actually the last two games have been great to watch.

But, did Wheeler play last night? I know Recchi threw a puck off him, which went into the net in the third, but that was about it.

Thornton still has more goals than Wheeler.  The only reason this guy isn't benched or sent down to providence, is because the B's don't want to admit he isn't good enough for the NHL. Once they do that, they will never get rid of him or get a decent value in return.

I am guaranteeing that when Savvy gets healthy, Wheeler is the first serious $$ ticket to leave town.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Re: Wheeler officially MIA

Try focusing on wheeler in a game, he never quits or lets up on the forchek, hes a great pk. maybe hes not scoring goals like we all want but give it time. This team when it settles down from all the injuries to a complete 4 line team, he will score, maybe later in the season but better late tan neva.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

Try cleaning your glasses bluefox-- you missed a good game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

I don't know what game you were watching, but Wheeler was solid, especially considering he was playing a different position.  He ended up plus-2, BTW, and was behind only Horton, Lucic and Bergeron in forward TOI.

I never fail to be amazed at people who go looking for something to complain about after an epic win.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

I've never been a huge fan of Wheeler but it might have something to do with the role he was put in (top 6 winger).  Before giving up on him, I would continue on with the experiment at C.  With his size, speed and increasing defensive awareness, a role as a 3rd line C might not be the worst idea. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

I don't know which game you were watching but Wheeler had a pretty good game last night. His goal last night was also created by him with a great dump in and chase.

Appreciate Wheeler for what he is, not what you expect him to be. Remember, the B's picked up this kid in free agency, they didn't draft him or overpay for him like they did with Ryder.

He skates well, is a good pk'er, and has a lot of upside. Upside means he hasn't reached his potential and is still young, give him time. I'd take Wheeler and his $2 mil cap hit over Ryder @ $4 and Sturm @ $3.5.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp1957. Show ksp1957's posts

Well, he DID score the 6th goal and was a visible presence out there. I thought the move to center was a big mistake, but, hey, he came to play last night.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Say what you will, but I believe the Wheeler "potential" has been struck IMO.  Yes, he is a bit snake bit for goals right now, but this edition of Wheeler is what he's going to be in the NHL.

This "potential" conversation has to shift to Marchand, who I never really liked (don't like this agitator stuff), but I have to admit he's shown some sick stick skills this year and he is an NHL rookie.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Don't forget that someone's gotta go when Savvy and Marco come back and my vote is still decidedly with Wheeler first (Ryder a close second.)

I'm not saying either of them are playing horribly (Rydes especially has shown more in the early going than he did most of last season), but salary must be shed and if someone's going to take either or both of those guys it's better that they are attractive to teams so the Bruins can clear the cap space.

I believe Wheeler's potential has been met...he's trying hard but whatever scoring touch he had in his rookie season when he was skinnier has been sacrificed (IMO) for his bulkier bod and he'll never be more than a 15-goal scorer at best.

and btw, if we can get rid of Paille ANY way, ANY how, just please let's do it already.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yep123. Show yep123's posts

I thought Wheeler played well last night, great goal, good on the PK, the kid does work hard, he's here to stay as it seems Chiarelli & Neely really like him.  I mean tqo years in the league & basically a 20-goal scorer, not bad, and I actually like him in the middle.

Ryder is another subject, the guy is the biggest non-factor on their roster; please-please-please send him away when Savard-Sturm come back, and it has nothing to do with his cap hit; I literally focused on him all night, doesnt not finish plays, will not take a hit to make a play, half hazard collecting of passes, if I was Seguin I would want to play PP only as this guy literally is terrible & has to be frustrating to play with, Marchand should be on that line w/ Sturm when he comes back; senD Ryder to whoever will take him or to Providence; he had a good first couple of games but is right back to the level of where he plays, AWFUL!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

I thought Wheeler stepped up. I think he played better at center than he had at wing... which is what the Bruins DESPERATELY needed last night. And his goal was a good one. A nifty little backhand-shovel move off a feed in tight under pressure. Good, greasy goal. All in all, he played a decent game.
    Still, I don't really like the guy that much. He falls down far too much under contact for someone who's 6'5". I'm glad he's playing with more of an edge, but he's not aggressive enough (not talking physically), particularly on the fore-check.
    He's a serviceable player, so we don't have to pretend he's useless. He's not, and he showed that last night. At the same time, he's not a "core" player, and doesn't really fit the mold of a Bruin. The truth, like it is in most cases, is somewhere in the middle: He's a good enough player... that could be easily replaced by Sturm, who could be easily replaced in the off-season either from within or outside the organization.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Wheeler finally put a complete game together and looks better at center than on the wing. Last nite the Pens showed up Julien's defensive system. Even their coach said" they are giving us the sides and then we crash the middle. This attack pushes the Bruins defense into Timmy along with the Pens forwards, and when Timmy goes down to look or block, they lift it over him. Watch how more teams do this just like Washington did in the third game. Julien should have sat Ryder because he played like he was sick; he could also replace Paille who has both stone hands and a stone stick- no control of the puck. Marchand continues to play well as does Caron. They will not dump Caron as easily as he grows into his size. Bergeron was very good all game, but Stuart and Chara were fumbling all night. Recchi must have heard our concerns as he turned in a decent game. Horton was constant and Lucic played fairly well. The fourth line is scoring with Marchand and Campbell playing well and Thorny running amok at times.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

There are two clear camps regarding Wheelers play: 1- he is playing solid, 2- he is soft and disappears plenty during games.

Wheeler has a couple of goals over the last week and his supporters point to this and his hustle as a sign that he is improving.  He is moving his feet and trying to be more physical.

2- critics of his play point to very little production and soft play. 

I think that Wheeler is fooling a lot of B's fans into thinking he's more physical.  He is throwing an occassional check but he's also very careful not to go into the corners when the big hit is waiting him.  Wheeler has decent hands and people fall for his big play potential.  The truth is- this guy doesn't have the heart to be a big-time player.  Think of Phil Kessel without the speed or shot.  Wheeler's production as of late is more of a mirage.  He should be doing much more but he pulls up from potential contact and is always getting bumped of the puck.

There is a big difference between throwing a hit and being physical.  Wheeler's m.o. is to turn his back on a guy and throw his body at someone.  If you watch a lot of the games, an effective physical hit will separate a player from possession of the puck, and Wheeler is not very good at this. 

Wheeler should be shown the door and traded while he still has any value on the market.  I am totally confident that management sees this and it would be a shock if he finishes the year on this team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Im a fan of big wheels, So what if he doesnt throw a huge hit its not his MO, never really was. But I'll take a 3rd liner who is solid defensively, good at control in the offensive zone, is demonstrating an effort to improve and has shown he can score 20ish goals consistently all day. Unless something much better were available I see no reason to let this player leave.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

In Response to Re: Wheeler officially MIA:
    [QUOTE]Im a fan of big wheels, So what if he doesnt throw a huge hit its not his MO, never really was. But I'll take a 3rd liner who is solid defensively, good at control in the offensive zone, is demonstrating an effort to improve and has shown he can score 20ish goals consistently all day. Unless something much better were available I see no reason to let this player leave.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey[/QUOTE]

I agree that physical play is not his MO but i strongly disagree about his game is improving.  It looks like he peaked as a rookie, had a bad season last year, and is not producing much through the first part of this season.

He deserves credit for some decent PK play, but that is about it.  Remember- Paille is a good PK player too but the rest of his game is not good enough to crack the B's lineup when all are healthy.  Could Wheeler be next on the bubble when others return from the injury list?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I thought Wheeler had a very good game.  Sure Recchi did the hard work on the goal, but Wheeler scored because he did exactly what we always want him to do -- fought of a checker, drove hard to the net, and won the 50/50 battle.

Those are the types of goals Wheeler needs to score.  Give the guy some credit when it's due.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

Unfortunately I was in the car listening last night and couldn't watch.  I'm wondering from the Wheeler fans.  Do you feel he played well enough at Center last night to consider flipping him with Seguin when, Krejci gets back but before Savard is available.  I've heard alot of talk about the need to lessesn Seguins responsibilities in the short term.  I also was very intrigued from the start when they started talking about Wheels in the middle.  Seems to me he prefers to be a playmaker and his speed should allow him to do more on the Backcheck at the position. 

Anyways, I'll watch the last two periods tonight but I am definitely interested in what you all saw last night.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

To make my position clear, he isn't horrible, but I agree with the previous post that we are looking at a guy who will career average in the neighborhood of 15-20.  At 2.2 that fits what the other 35-40 pt guys get - roughly.  Maybe even a bargain.

It's the intangibles that bother me.  I don't like his instincts, sometimes he does the right thing and sometimes he doesn't - where a guy like Marchand - and actually every current Bruin - I *rarely* wonder why they did what they did.

He isn't a Wideman where he can hurt the team effort by deflating momentum, but it's that he gets opportunity to jazz things up, to show energy at the right times and he doesn't seize it.  

So he doesn't have that spark plug effect that practically every other Bruin can.  McQuaid can get people going with a good fight, Recchi does anything energy and the message goes out that if the elderly can do it...  Seguin show maturity beyond his years and everyone gets inspired by that, but Wheeler can't bring that to the table.

Everyone is playing well right now, Wheels included.  If you want to point to someone that you don't like or should get moved for salary, you WILL have to nitpick.

Times are good when these are the things we have to debate - as opposed to the Leafs board where the hot topics are:
    best method of suicide
    heart burn remedies
    stress relief
    what to do for a heart attack
    best medications for depression
    reality about the perimeter snap shot guy

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]Unfortunately I was in the car listening last night and couldn't watch.  I'm wondering from the Wheeler fans.  Do you feel he played well enough at Center last night to consider flipping him with Seguin when, Krejci gets back but before Savard is available.  I've heard alot of talk about the need to lessesn Seguins responsibilities in the short term.  I also was very intrigued from the start when they started talking about Wheels in the middle.  Seems to me he prefers to be a playmaker and his speed should allow him to do more on the Backcheck at the position.  Anyways, I'll watch the last two periods tonight but I am definitely interested in what you all saw last night.
    Posted by RickyHussle[/QUOTE]

It's certainly worth considering, as they did during training camp, and I'm sure they'll monitor his progress and see how he does in the next few games. I'd really like to see Seguin on the wing where he can use his speed and shot to better effect.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wheeler officially MIA : It's certainly worth considering, as they did during training camp, and I'm sure they'll monitor his progress and see how he does in the next few games. I'd really like to see Seguin on the wing where he can use his speed and shot to better effect.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]
    I agree. 

It seems that some people are only seeing what they want to see in regards to Wheeler.  While it would be nice to see him bang bodies and create space like Lucic does, that is not Wheeler's game.  The thing that has impressed me the most about him so far this season is his stick checking abilities.  He has been tenacious on the forecheck, and creating lots of turnovers in the offensive zone.  He is also hustling back and breaking up plays on the backcheck.  Not flashy, but very necessary to the team's success.  I also like to see him using his size to park at the top of the slot, which has directly resulted in his two goals.  It is a strategy that is beginning to pay off, which should result in greater confidence and more scoring. 

I would say that the team is currently getting it's money's worth out of Blake Wheeler.  If he continues to improve his offensive game while playing such a strong defensive game, he will be a very good value for his salary.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

In a way, I suppose it is good that players like Wheeler and Recchi are there for some fans to pick on.  It distracts them away from the fact that Seguin is making so many mistakes.  Fans are so seduced by his flashy offensive moves that they fail to recognize how many times he is out of position or turning over the puck.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wheeler officially MIA : I agree.  It seems that some people are only seeing what they want to see in regards to Wheeler.  While it would be nice to see him bang bodies and create space like Lucic does, that is not Wheeler's game.  The thing that has impressed me the most about him so far this season is his stick checking abilities.  He has been tenacious on the forecheck, and creating lots of turnovers in the offensive zone.  He is also hustling back and breaking up plays on the backcheck.  Not flashy, but very necessary to the team's success.  I also like to see him using his size to park at the top of the slot, which has directly resulted in his two goals.  It is a strategy that is beginning to pay off, which should result in greater confidence and more scoring.  I would say that the team is currently getting it's money's worth out of Blake Wheeler.  If he continues to improve his offensive game while playing such a strong defensive game, he will be a very good value for his salary.
    Posted by Mutant211[/QUOTE]

Funny, I was just watching Bruins in Two and there was a play where Wheeler, on the backcheck, knocked the puck off a Penguin's stick in the slot. Amazing play, probably saved a goal. Yet the OP says he didn't see Wheeler play all night.

Just goes to show you that some people "see" only goals.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Wheeler played much better at the center position. Doesn't have to go into the corners and come away with the puck, which by the way he rarely does. He played much better in the 3rd period last night. What ever CJ said got the whole team moving their feet.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Wheeler is still young. Every NHL player has to find his stride and I believe Wheeler is just starting to find his stride. Don't give up on this guy is what I think. He's gong to be at least a 20 goal scorer or better. He's fast. He's big and he has very good hands. Go B's Go !!!!!

Sections
Shortcuts