Wheeler

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

Wheeler

Punches the puck in when he could have used the shaft of his stick and then he misses the net by a mile on a clear cut 2 on 1.  He should be in the minors or he just needs a change of scenery.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

Re: Wheeler

he'll be fine.

Wheeler does not belong in the minors

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

Tonight, Wheeler is making a good case for being the guy that needs to be shipped out of town first when cap clearing time comes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

He hasn't impressed me since the first half of 08/09.  Big deal he scored 20 goals last year.  Any pro could score that many playing with either Savard, Krejci or Bergeron.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Wheeler s**ks

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeymac. Show hockeymac's posts

He's going in ten different directions but going no where.  We'll trade him then some team will properly coach him and then he'll come back and haunt us.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I feel haunted by him now... what's the difference?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I'm now convinced he doesn't have it going on upstairs.  I actually saw the gears turning in Wheeler's head on the glove goal, actually the gears were grinding.

I think he had time enough to realize he just needed to get the stick shaft on it and his glove out of the way.  It seemed at one point he was thinking to glove it back out to his stick.

I'm 100% sure a quick thinking player would have gotten a goal out of that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

Despite the bone head moves tonight, he does seem to have a little more passion/hustle/hitting in his game this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

I am not seeing the potential, PC has to unload him. At least Ryder is desperate & streaky. He is putting up points where Wheels is not.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jman4. Show jman4's posts

I feel sorry for the kid, too much pressure for him now, he is done. We all bought into the hype during the first half of the rookie year. Lets just hope we can get someone who wants to take on a project. He does have an up side but we will not see wtih the Bruins any longer  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from north1234. Show north1234's posts

totally agree with yopu guys..wheeler needs out of here...man its looking like last year all over again..horrible effert and only thomas kept this damm game close  ...only good thing is we can put to rest the notion that they play harder for tank than rask...they play only when they want ..man what a frustarating team..i can live with it if your not to good but to have quality players and look like crap..horrible

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I think we all have to realize that Wheeler is not a finisher.  He never has been and he never will be, including his three years at U of MN.

He is a good skater and a big kid, that can still be an effective player.  He just is not going to be a big-time goal-scorer or point-producer, but there is nothing wrong with a guy that can still pop in 18-22 per year.   

When our expectations are appropriate, his inability to finish in the proper context, his game looks more like PJ Axelsson/Chuck Kobasew/Daniel Paille than the game of a finisher.  CJ should make sure this guy does not take any PP minutes away from the better point-producers on the team, but continue to give him big-time PK minutes, where he has been successful.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Yes, 14 games into his third season, let's close the book on him.  No way he gets better, right Markus Naslund?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

You either got it or you don't. Wheeler doesn't have it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Wheeler:
    Yes, 14 games into his third season, let's close the book on him.  No way he gets better, right Markus Naslund?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

OK, he will get better, but not that much.  He's near peak.

If you put a gun to my head and told me I had to lose a player out of the line up, I'd lose Ryder first and then Wheeler.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

You either got it or you don't. Wheeler doesn't have it.
    Posted by bluefox70

And that's exactlly what Pittsburgh said about Markus Naslund.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

Wheely is a 20 to 28 goal as season player which isn't bad. The problem is he is not a Bruin type of player either. He should watch from the stands and learn from Campbell, Thornton and Marchand.  More hustle than talent...but they get the job done.

Otherwise, find a team that wants him and get a prospect in return.

Boston will still have to make another trade to solve the salary cap issues
    but that can wait for a little while longer.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

NAS- you make this tired argument anytime someone suggests that Wheeler will not be a great player.

Wheeler was not a goal-scorer/ point-producer in three years at U of MN. 
    127gp 42-54-96, with his most prolific season being his Sophomore season where he was 18-20-38 in 44 games.  Even Kessel showed the kind of offensive player he was in 1 year at U of MN; 18-33-51 in 39 games.

Wheeler has 177 NHL regular season games on his resume and another 21 NHL playoff games.  That is twice as many games to form an opinion on Wheeler than the Pens had on Naslund before they moved him.  Did the Pens make a mistake?  Of course they did.  But it is also a mistake to think that a 24 year-old Wheeler, with 87 career points in 177 NHL games will develop into a prolific offensive force.  His body of work does not suggest that he will, nor does his current play.  The kid is a good player and belongs in the NHL.  He just doesn't belong in the top-6 forwards on a good team or on the PP.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

NAS- you make this tired argument anytime someone suggests that Wheeler will not be a great player. Wheeler was not a goal-scorer/ point-producer in three years at U of MN.  127gp 42-54-96, with his most prolific season being his Sophomore season where he was 18-20-38 in 44 games.  Even Kessel showed the kind of offensive player he was in 1 year at U of MN; 18-33-51 in 39 games. Wheeler has 177 NHL regular season games on his resume and another 21 NHL playoff games.  That is twice as many games to form an opinion on Wheeler than the Pens had on Naslund before they moved him.  Did the Pens make a mistake?  Of course they did.  But it is also a mistake to think that a 24 year-old Wheeler, with 87 career points in 177 NHL games will develop into a prolific offensive force.  His body of work does not suggest that he will, nor does his current play.  The kid is a good player and belongs in the NHL.  He just doesn't belong in the top-6 forwards on a good team or on the PP.   
    Posted by Crowls2424

Naslund had played 151 games for Pittsburgh.  Half of 198 is 151?

In Naslund's first 71 games, he racked up a grand total of four goals.  Four goals!  Wheeler had 21 his rookie year.

I don't expect Wheeler to become the next 40+ goal scorer.  I'm not positive that he'll ever even crack 30.  I do know that it's too early to determine his final ability.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

When wheeler is on the pk, i see great threats of a shorthanded goal or at the very least, a good attempt, Hes playing a different style of game, a bit more physical but hes better than paille so if thats what he is asked to be then so be it. But manyou guys are hard on some players when CJ cant seem to put together some lines and leave them alone. Injuries change everything but it doesnt have to, again thats bad coaching or management. When a player goes down with an injury and all you can do is shake up the lines, then theres no faith in your minor system. That falls on management. It creates frustration for players.
    Just imagine going to work every week and your boss keeps putting you on a job that just doesnt suit you, how will you ever find it within yourself to do well at one job. ?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In Response to Re: Wheeler : Naslund had played 151 games for Pittsburgh.  Half of 198 is 151? In Naslund's first 71 games, he racked up a grand total of four goals.  Four goals!  Wheeler had 21 his rookie year. I don't expect Wheeler to become the next 40+ goal scorer.  I'm not positive that he'll ever even crack 30.  I do know that it's too early to determine his final ability.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

My mistake on Naslund's game total, I overlooked his rookie season.

Still- wasn't Naslund a couple years younger than Wheeler is now, like 22 as compared to Wheeler's 24?  Being a couple of years older, presumably ahead in his development (Wheeler also did not have to adjust to coming over from Sweden) I just don't see finishing skills with Wheeler.  What are you seeing that I am missing?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Guess prep Breck School and U of Minnesota doesn't teach "How to lie to a ref 101". Wheeler doesn't deserve the 2Mil he's getting now he doesn't get paid to paw at the puck Blake is paid to put the puck in the net. Inconsistency is all I've seen the past two years but Chiarelli simply won't get rid of him plain and simple not going to happen quite sure he still has Versteeg/Bochenski on his mind.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

What is wrong with being able to score 20-25 goals a year?  This is what I don't understand.  People talk about this like it is a bad thing.  Not everyone can score 30+ goals a year.  Wheeler has had a slow start but he has shown that he is good for 20 goals and his cap hit is not outrageous for that kind of output.

People on this board got mad when Versteeg was traded for Bochenski.  Versteeg is a 20 goal scorer.  Wheeler is a 20 goal scorer.  Now everyone wants to replace Wheeler with a pick or a prospect.  Why?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

I take that back.  People were not mad when the trade happened.  People were made years later when Versteeg scored 20 goals in a season.  Either way, both are 20 goal scorers.  I don't understand why you'd want to ship him out of town.  2 mil for 20 goals and solid PKing is a much better deal than 4 mil for 25-30 goals.

Sections
Shortcuts