Wheeler

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Re: Wheeler

Wheeler is like the Millstore....no finish.

If he can improve his play in his end zone, then I think he has a bright future as a 3rd line winger that can pop in 18-22 per year and be excellent on the PK.  Good team's need players like that.  The problem is the Bruins are still weak on the wing, so Wheeler gets thrust into top-6 forward roles, that are not a great fit for him. 

If there is a team out there that sees Wheeler as a future point-producer (like NAS does), I would be more than happy to move him.  Upside is clearing some cap space and getting a pick/prospect in return. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

@Crowls

He still puts in 18-22 goals every year.  You can't blame him for being put in a top 6 role.  That would be PC's fault.

Anyway, if you get rid of Wheeler for a pick/prospect, who replaces that 18-22 goals?  No one in Providence will be able to provide that.  And realistically, it just gives guys like Paille, who actually has hands of stone, more games/minutes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Seguin, Marchand and Seidenberg have more points than Wheeler this year.

Chara, Seguin, Thornton and Caron have more goals than Wheeler this year.

I like the kid, but let's not suggest that his production (14gp 2-2-4) is irreplaceable.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Wheeler:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wheeler : My mistake on Naslund's game total, I overlooked his rookie season. Still- wasn't Naslund a couple years younger than Wheeler is now, like 22 as compared to Wheeler's 24?  Being a couple of years older, presumably ahead in his development (Wheeler also did not have to adjust to coming over from Sweden) I just don't see finishing skills with Wheeler.  What are you seeing that I am missing?
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

I see a guy who wants to be successful.  I see a guy who puts effort in.  I see a guy who has been saddled with Michael Ryder and Patrice Bergeron for too long.  Before they ship him off or kick him out, they have to give him a chance with decent linemates.  Let's see what he does with Krejci or Savard.

Most importantly, I see a guy who hasn't even played 200 NHL games that people are determining is at his peak level.  That's just crazy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

NAS- Ryder is off to a great start, 14gp 4-6-10 and Bergeron is 2-7-9, couldn't a better case be made that guys like them have been saddled with Wheeler for too long?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wheeler : I see a guy who wants to be successful.  I see a guy who puts effort in.  I see a guy who has been saddled with Michael Ryder and Patrice Bergeron for too long.  Before they ship him off or kick him out, they have to give him a chance with decent linemates.  Let's see what he does with Krejci or Savard. Most importantly, I see a guy who hasn't even played 200 NHL games that people are determining is at his peak level.  That's just crazy.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

All true.

And I have to agree, perhaps it's a little too early to judge him, but not far off, we're close.

Here's what's not going to change in the next 10, 20, 90 or 200 games; his instincts and quick thinking.  It's just not there plain and simple.  Everyone remarked how he had that deer in the headlights thing going last year.  Thinking too much, thinking too little, I know I went 16 rounds with Duinne on that subject and maybe a few rounds with you, too.   This year he is more decisive, but I don't like his decision making, and that's his instincts.

Chip it off the wall, or make the move, or find a seam, or pass, or shoot, or chase the puck or don't chase the puck, very often I don't think he makes the right choice.

Will that improve?

Yes.

But it's a huge concern of mine that it is apparent that its an issue.  Good God, I don't have that complaint about Zach Hamill - granted Zach just doesn't have the goods to follow through on any of it.

Can some of that be taught?  Yes.

Is Wheeler a quick learner?  No, actually seems a bit slow.

Is  some of this instinctive and CAN'T be taught?  Yes.

There are  guys that I play with that are slow and old, but always seem to be in the right place at the right time and I swear it doubles their worth out there.  Lookit Mark Recchi, old, slow, not that strong, not that hard a shot, yet look at how effective he is.  When was the last time he scored a goal further away than 9 and a half inches away from the goal, can he even break a window with his shot?  How much did Recchi learn??  Beats me.

Lookit a kid who has awesome instinct - Seguin, skill and instinct and a fast learner will make this kid deadly.

IMO the Bruins are better off with someone else.  Wheeler will not add to the chemistry of the team no matter what his stats.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

I'm gald to hear the majority is tired of seeing Blake screw up. Some want to give him a chance. He has had more chances to score this year in 14 games than just about every other Bruin. If he remains on this team and I'm afraid PC will never move him, the B's will be hurt offensively. He is taking a spot from the young talent in the system.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

Crowls,

Ryder is a streaky goal scorer.  Yes, right now he is making a case that he should be kept, but at some point in the near future he will stop producing for (likely) a lengthy period of time.  At that point, everyone will be saying "off with his head!" just like everyone is with Wheeler right now.  IMO, Wheeler has a much friendlier cap hit and losing him will not only hurt the team's overall goal production, but also their solid PK which he is a big part of.

Having said this, I have no problem keeping Ryder on this team either.  I think both have been working hard this season.  Wheeler, unfortunately, hasn't been scoring.  It will come.  He has shown that he is good for 18-22 goals a year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

jwb,

Wheeler is PART OF the young talent on this team.  He is, what, 22?  23?  24?  Somewhere around there.  Who replaces him from Providence and makes this team BETTER?  No one.

Recchi is taking a spot from the young talent in the system. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

306bf- i was just responding to NAS' comments about who was being saddled with whom.

I am in the "trade Ryder now camp" while he has some value and agree with your assessment that Wheeler is a better long-term play than Ryder.  That being said, I would be fine moving Wheeler as well.  This team could use another top-4 d-man, and Wheeler may be the chip that makes it happen.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

306bf, I agree on Recchi but isn't Colborne in the wings? They need a big center and that's what he is.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]NAS- Ryder is off to a great start, 14gp 4-6-10 and Bergeron is 2-7-9, couldn't a better case be made that guys like them have been saddled with Wheeler for too long?
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

Neither is creative.  Neither makes things happen in the offensive zone.  Don't overlook the fact that four of Bergeron's nine points came on the powerplay. 

I would like, for once, to see what Wheeler could do with someone who makes things happen.  Maybe not this year, maybe next year.  You just never know what someone can do until they're given a fair chance to do it.

Anyone who has posted here saying that he's as good as he's going to get or that has posted about what's going on in his mind is full of crap.  You don't know.  You have no crystal ball or ability to read minds. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

[QUOTE]306bf, I agree on Recchi but isn't Colborne in the wings? They need a big center and that's what he is.
    Posted by jwb413[/QUOTE]

Right now, he may be a good fit at center... Maybe.  He hasn't played a day in the NHL though.  The thing is, Wheeler generally plays the wing when the Krejci and Savard are healthy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

NAS- you just posted that you "see a guy who wants to be successful"...how long have you been reading minds?

I agree that none of us know how Wheeler's career will turn out, but that also includes you.  You seem to believe that after nearly 200 NHL games, that is an inadequate sample to form an opinion on what type of player he will be.  At least that analysis is based on facts, your opinion seems to ignore those facts with the hope for something better.  Hope is not sound strategy and seems to make your opinion full of as much, if not more, crap as mine.

Fair chance to prove it?  Hasn't Wheeler had plenty of opportunity to play with Krejci?  Krejci- Wheeler-Ryder, remember? He also gets PP time, averaging 1:40 this year and 2:04 last year.  His production has been abysmal on the PP.

I also disagree with you about Bergeron's creativity, or lack thereof.  We must be watching different games, because Wheeler isn't half the player that Bergeron is.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

LOL @ Bergeron isn't creative.

L.O.L

I agree with you that it is too early to judge Wheeler... But calling Bergeron un-creative requires--again... categorical ignorance of the actual game of hockey.

Once again N.A.S. is a wiz when it comes to looking at players ages, cap numbers and the C.B.A., and statistics, but f-n clueless about the actual game.

Bergeron's hockey sense and skill is off the charts IMO, although he sacrifices offense for solid defense, which is more than can be said of a hell of a lot of other supposedly "better" centers in this league.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

when wheeler's in tight he cant decide if he's right or lefthanded. w.t.f.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wheeler : Naslund had played 151 games for Pittsburgh.  Half of 198 is 151? In Naslund's first 71 games, he racked up a grand total of four goals.  Four goals!  Wheeler had 21 his rookie year. I don't expect Wheeler to become the next 40+ goal scorer.  I'm not positive that he'll ever even crack 30.  I do know that it's too early to determine his final ability.

Yup agree with that analysis only one thing, does a GM have the luxury to wait for the improvement given the cap restraints and the mere fact other young players need to have a chance.  Someone is going to be packaged in the Ryder trade in the near future.  Wheeler is the on the way out.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Why do people claim Wheeler is a 20 goal scorer?  His first season he had 21 goals and 24 assists, next season he has 18 goals and 20 assists and this season he is on pace for 12 goals and 12 assists.  There is a patern there folks he is getting worse instead of better.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

[QUOTE]Why do people claim Wheeler is a 20 goal scorer?  His first season he had 21 goals and 24 assists, next season he has 18 goals and 20 assists and this season he is on pace for 12 goals and 12 assists.  There is a patern there folks he is getting worse instead of better.
    Posted by Orrthebest[/QUOTE]

I took a lashing from duinne trying to say the same thing!!!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jman4. Show jman4's posts

[QUOTE]Why do people claim Wheeler is a 20 goal scorer?  His first season he had 21 goals and 24 assists, next season he has 18 goals and 20 assists and this season he is on pace for 12 goals and 12 assists.  There is a patern there folks he is getting worse instead of better.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jman4. Show jman4's posts

If he stays to the end of this year I foresee a problem with him signing a new contract. He wants in the 2 mil plus range but will not be offered that. I do not see a positve outcome for him better to find a taker sometime this year. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from eddy75. Show eddy75's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, 14 games into his third season, let's close the book on him.  No way he gets better, right Markus Naslund?

nadlund had 1 great season and a handful of good ones in his 15 year career.

1 goal in 21 playoff games says all you need to know about Wheeler.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from eddy75. Show eddy75's posts

The same reason Leafs fans used to delude themselves into believing Gary Leeman would score 50 again.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wheeler : nadlund had 1 great season and a handful of good ones in his 15 year career. 1 goal in 21 playoff games says all you need to know about Wheeler.
    Posted by eddy75[/QUOTE]

Which one was the great one?  Was it the one when he scored 48 goals, the one where he finished seventh in goal scoring, or the one where he finished fifth in goals and fourth in assists?