When Campbell went down...Why did Coach Julien bench Thornton?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from salsa-kid. Show salsa-kid's posts

When Campbell went down...Why did Coach Julien bench Thornton?

Doesnt make sense.  We're in double overtime and you're only playing 10 forwards.

He should have played Berg / David K/ Kelly every other shift on a rotating basis.  That way, we keep the 4 lines rolling...

What do you think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: When Campbell went down...Why did Coach Julien bench Thornton?

In response to salsa-kid's comment:

Doesnt make sense.  We're in double overtime and you're only playing 10 forwards.

He should have played Berg / David K/ Kelly every other shift on a rotating basis.  That way, we keep the 4 lines rolling...

What do you think?

With only 10 forwards you dont want to waste a shift of Krejci and Bergeron playing alongside Thornton. In  overtime, rare you'd see Thornton even if Campbell was healthy. As soon as Blysma sees Thornton, here come Crosby and Malkin over the bench.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

With Cambpell out I was fine with that. At that point of the game most coaches ride their best players.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I think they won.  Ergo, right call.

[Overheard at the NHLPA press conference]

"So, is that pronounced "Fair" or "Fear"?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to salsa-kid's comment:

What do you think?

I think the B's won the game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Because he knows his players strengths and weaknesses in spite of our perspectives

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Because Thornton wouldnt add anything in double overtime in the ECF other than a missed hit, and some stick tapping on the ice?
    No issue with this move at all.  No problem with Thornton but fans make too much of this guy sometimes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

maybe the coach know that Pittsburgh is trying to draw fake penalty at the same timeThorton is the team's top five most penalty minutes guy.  Less troublemaker players on the ice in the 3rd period, less chance for Pitt to go on power play!!

I know Lucic and Chara are the top two, but both are a much talent player than Thorton.

Julien knows what he is doing!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

I agree with the sentiment that the B's won, so it was the right decision.  However, I feel that he would have gotten shifts in the third OT, and with rested legs, the gap between highly skilled players and Thornton would have been closed and likely he would've had the advantage. Guys from both sides were getting really slow out there.

Street hockey is great for kids. It’s energetic, competitive, and skillful. And best of all it keeps them off the street.