When referee's want to be the stars of the game.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: When referee's want to be the stars of the game.

The best thing of it all is, however one wants to look at it, unbiased officiating, good officiating, the game is moving fast excuses, we have the pleasure of sitting in our living room and have replay at our disposal, it all doesn't really matter as the B's won, so there is no bitter pill to swallow. Lets just call it a bad night or things are normal in the world of NHL officiating.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Chowdah,yes bad officiating been around forever , true but add these new rules the NHL wanted enforced and this is the officaiting we get, brutal! It almost seems like the NHL wanted to call a certain way and the refs bring it to another level. 

The majority of the games I have watched this year the officiating has been good. Maybe, get Centre Ice and you'll be able to see the same.

Comon Chowda...What have you been watching? The refereeing has been worse than ever. Especially with the "new so-called Stick fouls" That one on Seguin was as dumb as it gets. Then on the dis-allowed Seguin goal. He has the whistle in his mouth & is watching Marchand. The puck goes in & he goes banana's making sure he gets his camera time. Then he's pointing at Marchand saying he interferred with the goalie? He had possesion of the puck & was going hard to the net. That's still allowed! Reimer had 3 seconds or more to recover. Terrible call..The Leafs goal should've counted. Rask was out of his house & Sieds has to take blame for Kadri going into Rask. There's more missed, or bad calls then there are good. 

Now you have Shanahan turning into Mr. Inconsistent with his Bullkief!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitch19. Show nitch19's posts

Bottom line: the refs last night did EVERYTHING they could to try to get Toronto the equalizer on the PP in the third.  Anyone who doesn't agree wasn't watching the same game.  The penalties on Seids, Chara and Seggy were absolutely brutal.  Actually, I can live with the one on Seids - ticky tack - but can live with it.  No excuse for the other two though.

I'm not even going to get into having the second goal waved off.  I mean, where do you even start?  Toronto's goal should've counted too.......so they cancelled each other.        

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Comon Chowda...What have you been watching? The refereeing has been worse than ever. Especially with the "new so-called Stick fouls" That one on Seguin was as dumb as it gets. Then on the dis-allowed Seguin goal. He has the whistle in his mouth & is watching Marchand. The puck goes in & he goes banana's making sure he gets his camera time. Then he's pointing at Marchand saying he interferred with the goalie? He had possesion of the puck & was going hard to the net. That's still allowed! Reimer had 3 seconds or more to recover. Terrible call..The Leafs goal should've counted. Rask was out of his house & Sieds has to take blame for Kadri going into Rask. There's more missed, or bad calls then there are good. 

A phrase that is used year after year. I was actually going to post about this line earlier being the trademark phrase of complaints on officiating. I was afraid no one would use this. You pulled it off for me. Funny and thanks !

There are terrible calls every year. And yes that was a terrible call that you pointed out. Thinking that this year is " worse then ever " is a bit of an exageration heard every year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Agree that bad officiating has been around forever and think we also agree that here is no bias. 

Agree Crowls. And every teams fan's feels their team is getting shafted the worse. 

This was not my point, no bias, officiating just horrible all around the league. I mentioned other bad calls here that were not against the Bruins nor were the Bruins involved in. Some of so-called new rules and the way they are interpeting rules that already exist just being called differently . There was no pre-season for the players to get used to the way they would officiating new and existing rules differently hence why it's not the same as past seasons. 

Our beloved TSN last week were just as confused with some of the calls they spent a whole intermission speaking about it last week . 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

This was not my point, no bias, officiating just horrible all around the league. I mentioned other bad calls here that were not against the Bruins nor were the Bruins involved in. Some of so-called new rules and the way they are interpeting rules that already exist just being called differently . There was no pre-season for the players to get used to the way they would officiating new and existing rules differently hence why it's not the same as past seasons. 

Our beloved TSN last week were just as confused with some of the calls they spent a whole intermission speaking about it last week . 

And every year the same thought is given. These guys train every year to become good at what they do. If they can't get it right 100% of the time can you imagine how hard this profession is ?

Through the 60's and 70's, the method of officiating was to even out the penalties by the end of the game. Three coins in one pocket and three in the other.

Today's officiating is miles ahead of where it used to be. They call what they see. They didn't back then . Do they get it right all the time ? Name a major sport that does. And, yes there are horrible calls in every sport.

P.S. I've already seen enough of your thoughts so no need to say I miss the point. "Referee's want to be the stars of the game" and they are "vane" like me tells me how you think. 

Take the good with the bad is all I'm saying because the bad will always be there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

Chowda - I believe there ARE more questionable calls this year than other years. Part of this is due to a league clamp down on certain infractions and the introduction of others that are intended to "improve" the game:

- interference on the defender if they impede a player after dumping the puck into the zone,

- putting your hand on the puck (even for a split second) is immediatel called,

- using your hand to win a faceoff(that might be part of the previous point),

These calls will take a while to get right (as you suggest, no one's perfect) and I can live with those.

Did you see Hockey Night in Canada yesterday for the Sens-Habs game?

There was a tying goal disallowed by the Sens where Price came out to cut down the angle(was outside the blue paint) and was just behind the player who was screening. The top view looked like the 'screener' was already there and Price came up to him. A couple of frames later, Price was backing in to go into the butterfly just as the puck was going by him.

Ref called no goal and gave the Ottawa player 2 minutes for goalie interference. THAT was brutal and a badly missed call. There are too many of those IMHO.

Why can't (at least) the referees/linesmen get together to discuss those type of game changing plays. I could just see someone in Toronto's NHL office watching and wishing they could intervene.

These are the types of misplays that get all fans riled up regardless of their allegiance.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Tonight I thnk Leafs goal was good, Rask was pretty far out of blue paint. 

Bruins disallowed goal was good and maybe Reimer should have gotten interference or a trip.

Penalties on Seidenberg and Seguin - HORSE SHIIT

Was at the game Thursday not too far behind Bruins bench . Julien was livid 3-4 times. Here's a guy that would rarely get upset at the offciating.

I think this pretty much sums it up.  Bad officiating on both disallowed goals and the penalties called.

Still, when the Bruins are on their game, the Leafs can't match up right now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I agree with Chowda to a degree, if you watch any game you will see poor calls.  Yet Hockey Night in Canada with the venue in Toronto was certainly ripe for imperfection by the refs.  I am a homer so I saw more called on the Bs, Chara's penalty was just plain horrible.  In total retrospect, the better team won.   Yet, the Toronto goal should have counted.  I do not know what goalie interference is anymore.  I am on record here so I won't elaborate other than to say goalies should not be interfered with in the blue paint only!  Otherwise the game becomes a farce!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:

I agree with Chowda to a degree, if you watch any game you will see poor calls.  Yet Hockey Night in Canada with the venue in Toronto was certainly ripe for imperfection by the refs.  I am a homer so I saw more called on the Bs, Chara's penalty was just plain horrible.  In total retrospect, the better team won.   Yet, the Toronto goal should have counted.  I do not know what goalie interference is anymore.  I am on record here so I won't elaborate other than to say goalies should not be interfered with in the blue paint only!  Otherwise the game becomes a farce!

Agree.

Saying that it is a penalty for preventing a goalie from coming out to cut down his angle or to get to the other side to retrieve the puck is like saying a defenseman has to allow a forward to setup unimpeded in front of the net or another forward has to move because an opponent is coming at him through the neutral zone...players have the right to occupy and fight for any space on the ice - except for the blue paint of the crease...THAT is the goalie's space.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

You guys are right. The blue paint is the only place goalie interference should apply. Once a player is parked in front, it makes no sense that he be expected to be aware of what the goalie is doing behind his back. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

When the bad calls disappear for awhile ? The talk of bad officiating is put on the backburner. 

Then as soon as another bad call pops up ................. opinions like this are given.

I believe there ARE more questionable calls this year than other years. 

The refereeing has been worse than ever. 

It happens every year. It is an overused thought that people use when they see a run of bad calls. I find it fictional, exagerated and repetitive.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

When the bad calls disappear for awhile ? The talk of bad officiating is put on the backburner. 

Then as soon as another bad call pops up ................. opinions like this are given.

I believe there ARE more questionable calls this year than other years. 

The refereeing has been worse than ever. 

It happens every year. It is an overused thought that people use when they see a run of bad calls. I find it fictional, exagerated and repetitive.

Sort of like the Shawn Thornton skating clown threads ?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

The goal waived off in yesterdays Habs-Sens game for goalie interference may have been one of the worst calls I've ever seen.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Bad officiating has been around forever.

It's also easier to call a game from the luxury of a chair then out on the ice where the speed of the game makes it hard to get it right all the time. Making split decisions and without the benefits of using replays as us armchair referees have ? Understandable . Getting it wrong sometimes is part of the game ( human error ) that all teams have to live with.

Yeah, but don't we have replay for goals that are disputed, like the one in the Leafs game?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

The goal waived off in yesterdays Habs-Sens game for goalie interference may have been one of the worst calls I've ever seen.

Absolutely Kel. It was a brutal call that led directly to a loss for the Sens. Not only do they take the goal back but also gave a penalty to boot. That's the worst part because giving a penalty implies having seen an infraction and there wasn't one to see.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to trouts' comment:

Bad officiating has been around forever.

It's also easier to call a game from the luxury of a chair then out on the ice where the speed of the game makes it hard to get it right all the time. Making split decisions and without the benefits of using replays as us armchair referees have ? Understandable . Getting it wrong sometimes is part of the game ( human error ) that all teams have to live with.

Yeah, but don't we have replay for goals that are disputed, like the one in the Leafs game?

Judgement calls regarding contact with the goalie are not reviewed. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

A phrase that is used year after year. I was actually going to post about this line earlier being the trademark phrase of complaints on officiating. I was afraid no one would use this. You pulled it off for me. Funny and thanks !

There are terrible calls every year. And yes that was a terrible call that you pointed out. Thinking that this year is " worse then ever " is a bit of an exageration heard every year.

You're right it is. And you're welcome....I never fail at inserting a foot into my mouth, at least on this one it was only one. Cheers!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

How about that distinct kicking motion yesterday by Bozak ? even the guys on replay got that wrong.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment

Just watched the replay on that last night, whoa that was a terrible call!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

BS call on Getzlaf gives Blues late PP and they tie the game.

Cole turns his back on Getzlaf , doesn't really hit hard , more like a tap and gets called for boarding. NICE !  The refs strike again.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Need to be careful, refs are fighting back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL193PbOzi0

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Good thing he took his helmet off. He must have been worried about getting the extra two for starting a fight while wearing a facemask.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Good thing he took his helmet off. He must have been worried about getting the extra two for starting a fight while wearing a facemask.

Also took a second to drop his whistle.  Safety first!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

LOL.... I want him in the NHL.  Gregson ? 

Sections
Shortcuts