When Will Wheeler Step His Game Up?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

When Will Wheeler Step His Game Up?

I know some Bruins fans on this board (I don't think I need to mention who) had high expectations for Wheeler coming into this season, despite his poor play last season, which included a miserable 1-5-6 (-6) showing in 13 playoff games.  These numbers should come as no surprise.  If you look at Wheeler's stats, his production has been steadily declining ever since the 1st half of his rookie year.  And yet some fans continue to expect great things out of this kid.  Wheeler fans continue to claim that he has potential, but I just don't see it. 

We're 37 games into this season (4 games away from the halfway point) and Wheeler has failed to produce yet again.  He has managed just 9-6-15 (+2), despite playing in every single game.  To me, it's not a matter of effort, because the effort is certainly there.  I believe it's a matter of talent.  From what I've seen, it is evident that Wheeler is not capable of playing the role of a 1st/2nd line scoring winger.  He just doesn't have the offensive skills to score 25+ goals on a consistent basis.

I just wanted to know what you guys thought.  Am I completely off base?  Will Wheeler ever reach his full potential?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Re: When Will Wheeler Step His Game Up?

he's on pace for 20. i think if he reaches 25 that would be the most he would ever get. he'll never be a 30 goal man.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

In Response to Re: When Will Wheeler Step His Game Up?:
    he's on pace for 20. i think if he reaches 25 that would be the most he would ever get. he'll never be a 30 goal man.
    Posted by goodnewsbears

Can't say I disagree. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to When Will Wheeler Step His Game Up?:
    I know some Bruins fans on this board (I don't think I need to mention who) had high expectations for Wheeler coming into this season, despite his poor play last season, which included a miserable 1-5-6 (-6) showing in 13 playoff games.  These numbers should come as no surprise.  If you look at Wheeler's stats, his production has been steadily declining ever since the 1st half of his rookie year.  And yet some fans continue to expect great things out of this kid.  Wheeler fans continue to claim that he has potential, but I just don't see it.  We're 37 games into this season (4 games away from the halfway point) and Wheeler has failed to produce yet again.  He has managed just 9-6-15 (+2), despite playing in every single game.  To me, it's not a matter of effort, because the effort is certainly there.  I believe it's a matter of talent.  From what I've seen, it is evident that Wheeler is not capable of playing the role of a 1st/2nd line scoring winger.  He just doesn't have the offensive skills to score 25+ goals on a consistent basis. I just wanted to know what you guys thought.  Am I completely off base?  Will Wheeler ever reach his full potential?        
    Posted by TimThomas-god

If you've watched the road trip you'd see Wheeler has been far better of late.Will he ever be a top 2 line player?I don't know for sure but as a 3rd liner he's a fine player.far better on the forecheck than in years past.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

You are completeley off base.  Wheeler has played well as of late.  He has been stronger on the puck, playing with more of a purpose and just flat out playing better period.  Maybe everybody (mainly Stanley) have his "potential" set a little higher then it should be.

His game is really not that bad, but if he worked on his shot like Stamkos does he would probably score a little more-- maybe 25 to 30.  But he currently is on pace for 20 goals.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

I have seen quite a bit of growth in Wheeler this year..especially on the defensive side and I have seen him stepping up his skating. I agree with dezaruchi, he's a very good 3rd liner right now...I like his game.
    I expect he will continue to grow. Second line 25 - 30 goals a year down the road. Remember he's still young...
    Doc

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

I have seen quite a bit of growth in Wheeler this year..especially on the defensive side and I have seen him stepping up his skating. I agree with dezaruchi, he's a very good 3rd liner right now...I like his game. I expect he will continue to grow. Second line 25 - 30 goals a year down the road. Remember he's still young... Doc
    Posted by TomOBrien

i don't mind the guy. you say you expect him to continue to grow and that's where we disagree. to me, he doesn't seem to be growing. scored 20 as a rookie and seems to have hit the plateau. i do agree he's a good 3rd liner.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

Once again, the effort is there, I never said it wasn't.  But he really isn't producing.  He's had a grand total of 2 points during the 4 game roadtrip.  That's nothing to write home about. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Wheeler said before the year started that there were certain areas of his game he would like to improve on. Being more physical was one of them . He has done that . This year he keeps his feet moving a lot more then last year . He doesn't float as much. I was a critic of his game last year because of his lackadaisical play . Not this year . I've been happy with his play. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fordprefect. Show fordprefect's posts

I think Wheeler is turning into a Bergeron type (although not as complete).  He will add timely scoring and defensive depth to the front 6.  If he gets 20-25 I will be more than happy as long as he is strong on the puck, limits turnovers, and gets back on D (which he has).  I would give him a B-for the season so far, and expect better offensive numbers in the second half...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

he has, about 15 games ago

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

Wheelers been pretty good all year, far different than last.  One of the only improved guys.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

How can you say he has plateaued? If all you are counting is goals, then you are correct, but there is much, much more to the game of hockey than goals...he is doing quite well...not just in my mind and observations. Read the other posts. I am not alone in this assessment.
    Doc
    In Response to Re: When Will Wheeler Step His Game Up? : i don't mind the guy. you say you expect him to continue to grow and that's where we disagree. to me, he doesn't seem to be growing. scored 20 as a rookie and seems to have hit the plateau. i do agree he's a good 3rd liner.
    Posted by goodnewsbears

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

Your Fu..ing crazy the kids got youth, size, skating, and vision

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Wheeler said before the year started that there were certain areas of his game he would like to improve on. Being more physical was one of them . He has done that . This year he keeps his feet moving a lot more then last year . He doesn't float as much. I was a critic of his game last year because of his lackadaisical play . Not this year . I've been happy with his play. Posted by Chowdahkid-

His overall play is better this year for sure but he has not been physical at all. He was asked straight up last week on Versus before the game "What happened to the jam you promised ?" and Blake started stuttering.

If Blake Wheeler does not start taking the body and charging the net he will never ever score more than 25 goals ever.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: When Will Wheeler Step His Game Up? : His overall play is better this year for sure but he has not been physical at all. He was asked straight up last week on Versus before the game "What happened to the jam you promised ?" and Blake started stuttering. If Blake Wheeler does not start taking the body and charging the net he will never ever score more than 25 goals ever.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Maybe it's our early expectations of Wheeler that have let us down.I personally feel it would be great if he were to be a consistent 25 goal scorer that kills penalties(as long as the price for him is right ).We all wanted him to become a 40 goal scorer after he started so well as a rookie.Now he seems like a bust because we expected too much.We got a decent player when we were hoping for a star.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swearengen. Show Swearengen's posts

When I clicked on this thread, I fully expected the first post to be from two or three months ago......but TODAY????  Really???

He's been good in all phases all damn year.  How can people still be blindly bitching about this guy?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: When Will Wheeler Step His Game Up? : Maybe it's our early expectations of Wheeler that have let us down.We all wanted him to become a 40 goal scorer after he started so well as a rookie.Now he seems like a bust because we expected too much.We got a decent player when we were hoping for a star.
    Posted by dezaruchi

That's a very good point but if you come out and say "I'm gonna play with more jam with my new skates." I expect it is all.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: When Will Wheeler Step His Game Up? : That's a very good point but if you come out and say "I'm gonna play with more jam with my new skates." I expect it is all.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

I thinks he's trying harder to initiate contact this year.Unfortunately though it doesn't seem like he'll ever develop any snarl to is game.He's a big kid who doesn't want to fight so he plays a little more timidly as a result.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

Maybe it's our early expectations of Wheeler that have let us down.I personally feel it would be great if he were to be a consistent 25 goal scorer that kills penalties(as long as the price for him is right ).We all wanted him to become a 40 goal scorer after he started so well as a rookie.Now he seems like a bust because we expected too much.We got a decent player when we were hoping for a star.

I Believe I said the same thing earlier-- and I definetley agree with you.

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=0cd23fb67005650d3e3721cc681191a3&plckUserId=0cd23fb67005650d3e3721cc681191a3">
    First: 7/1/2009
    Last: 1/3/2011
    You are completeley off base.  Wheeler has played well as of late.  He has been stronger on the puck, playing with more of a purpose and just flat out playing better period.  Maybe everybody (mainly Stanley) have his "potential" set a little higher then it should be.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Maybe it's our early expectations of Wheeler that have let us down.I personally feel it would be great if he were to be a consistent 25 goal scorer that kills penalties(as long as the price for him is right ).We all wanted him to become a 40 goal scorer after he started so well as a rookie.Now he seems like a bust because we expected too much.We got a decent player when we were hoping for a star. I Believe I said the same thing earlier-- and I definetley agree with you. www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=0cd23fb67005650d3e3721cc681191a3&plckUserId=0cd23fb67005650d3e3721cc681191a3 " /> JYaso Posts: 480 First: 7/1/2009 Last: 1/3/2011 You are completeley off base.  Wheeler has played well as of late.  He has been stronger on the puck, playing with more of a purpose and just flat out playing better period.  Maybe everybody (mainly Stanley) have his "potential" set a little higher then it should be.
    Posted by JYaso

Sorry I wasn't paying enough attention.You were bang on.The trouble was he was getting more cash than your typical rookie of his age.With the cash come expectations.If he didn't come in with so much fan-fare after refusing to sign with Phoenix,everyone would probably be pleased with his progress.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: When Will Wheeler Step His Game Up? : His overall play is better this year for sure but he has not been physical at all. He was asked straight up last week on Versus before the game "What happened to the jam you promised ?" and Blake started stuttering. If Blake Wheeler does not start taking the body and charging the net he will never ever score more than 25 goals ever.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

We'll have to agree to disagree. I have watched his play more closely to see if he'd live up to what he said and I think he is finishing his checks a lot more this year where last year he wasn't. He has been more physical then last year. You don't have to put people through the boards to achieve being more physical .Wheeler will never be that kind of player. And stuttering to a question is just like badhab saying he's getting bad vibes off of someone's body language. It is making something out of nothing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Dez,
    wheeler didnt make more then a typical rookie, he actually left money on the table by not signing with phoenix.. And I don't think expectations were super high when the came in, nor that there was a ton of fan fare..

He was a suprise to make the team, and a lot was made of how well he played as a rookie..all of the dissapoint in his game stems from that.. He hasn't shown improvement offensively, (regression if anything) and hasnt become more physical..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

He just won't go to the net. And the few times he does, he scores.
    Last night he tried to shoot from the top of the face off circle with a wrist shot. Right, like that is going to do it. If he can't get to the net, then at least put the puck in the corner, and get help from some other teammates. Drive to the net, and use your size. Hockey 101.

He does skate hard, and positionally he is very good. But as a goal scorer, I think 20 is as much as we'll get from him. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

He just won't go to the net. And the few times he does, he scores. Last night he tried to shoot from the top of the face off circle with a wrist shot. Right, like that is going to do it. If he can't get to the net, then at least put the puck in the corner, and get help from some other teammates. Drive to the net, and use your size. Hockey 101. He does skate hard, and positionally he is very good. But as a goal scorer, I think 20 is as much as we'll get from him. 
    Posted by perrysound

so instead of shooting on goal, you would have liked him to shoot it in the corner. and they say cj's system is bad. i'm glad you're not coaching.

Sections
Shortcuts