When Will Wheeler Step His Game Up?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Re: When Will Wheeler Step His Game Up?

Hockey 101.

The puck you dont shoot doesnt go in 100 out of 100 times!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: When Will Wheeler Step His Game Up?:
    [QUOTE]Dez, wheeler didnt make more then a typical rookie, he actually left money on the table by not signing with phoenix.. And I don't think expectations were super high when the came in, nor that there was a ton of fan fare.. He was a suprise to make the team, and a lot was made of how well he played as a rookie..all of the dissapoint in his game stems from that.. He hasn't shown improvement offensively, (regression if anything) and hasnt become more physical..
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]
    He was paid more like a Seguin or Hall than a Marchand or Caron.He was a free-agent due only to a loophole so he had to be won over in order to sign him.Didn't he take a pay cut this year  compared to his rookie deal?I don't think anyone was shocked he stuck as a rookie although,I admit,it was expected that he at least start in Providence.I think HE expected to make Boston or he would've signed elsewhere.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: When Will Wheeler Step His Game Up?:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: When Will Wheeler Step His Game Up? : We'll have to agree to disagree. I have watched his play more closely to see if he'd live up to what he said and I think he is finishing his checks a lot more this year where last year he wasn't. He has been more physical then last year. You don't have to put people through the boards to achieve being more physical .Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

With a 6'5" frame he needs to drive the net more and no one said anything about putting opposing players through the boards is a mark of a good forward. Speaking of boards he gets manhandled more than he comes out of the corners with the puck with Blake's size that should not be happening.

Jam means Jam not announcing you have it now then avoiding the question by giggling.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SupportLocal81. Show SupportLocal81's posts

Good thread going here kids..
    IMO, Wheeler has shown progress on many fronts.. he is playing more physical but it isn't in his makeup to run people over. He looks like he has improved his speed a bit and is playing better positional hockey too. Agree with others that perhaps the expectation was set too high for him early on and that he is unable to meet/exceed that expectation.  He has done a better job of holding onto the puck by using his size to his advantage. In time, he may grow into his frame and fill out a bit which will probably slow him down a little but help him in the physical department. I agree that 'as is', he will remain a third line 20+ goal scorer. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Good thread going here kids.. IMO, Wheeler has shown progress on many fronts.. he is playing more physical but it isn't in his makeup to run people over. He looks like he has improved his speed a bit and is playing better positional hockey too. Agree with others that perhaps the expectation was set too high for him early on and that he is unable to meet/exceed that expectation.  He has done a better job of holding onto the puck by using his size to his advantage. In time, he may grow into his frame and fill out a bit which will probably slow him down a little but help him in the physical department. I agree that 'as is', he will remain a third line 20+ goal scorer. 
    Posted by SupportLocal81[/QUOTE]
    He just seems to be putting in a better effort overall and it translates into every part of his game.He's skating just a little harder to get in on the forecheck which means maybe causing a turnover rather than watching a breakout.He's giving that extra dig when battling for loose pucks.More of the little things.He hasn't been rewarded with many goals but I really like his effort the past month or so.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

People really underestimate how much being physical is a talent, and when you're a big gangly guy like Wheeler, it's that much harder to do. You have to be able to take all that size and align it to the point of contact or else you'll be decidedly ineffective.  In hockey, you have to be able to do that quickly and often taking no more than one stride off.  There's a lot of timing, instinct, and mechanics to doing it well.  Even, for a guy like Wheeler, using his body to shield the puck changes his body position and the speed with which he gets into and out of situations.  A guy doesn't just play with more jam because he understands coach wants him to play with more jam.  Something's got to click at this stage before Wheeler uses his size to full advantage, but it may never happen.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Wheeler has improved this year. His lack of physical play is something that will be with him forever, it's more about his personality than anything he will acquire with his work habits or training. This is his stepped up game, he's better than last year, but not where he should be.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Blake Wheeler at 24 will get stronger on the puck and along the boards. You can tell his confidence is stronger as well. What remains to be seen is if his soft hands become real soft hands. That, time will tell.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homebrew76. Show Homebrew76's posts

Watching the Toronto game there were 3 or 4 rushes that turned into turnovers once Wheeler touched the puck.   Either along the boards, or via a point blank shot that missed the net.    Those turnovers have not been as prevalent as they were last year when there were a half dozen or more every game (that I watched), but they are still there.

Every player in the league will turn over the puck, but I think Wheelers turnover numbers in the offensive zone are still pretty high and every turn over in the offensive zone is a potential scoring opportunity lost.

I don't see Wheeler as progressing beyond a 2nd/3rd line player unless he goes to the Leafs where he'd be first line material by default... lol.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Dez,
    your off on that.. He signed for a max rookie deal (but if he had stayed in colorado they could have paid him more under the old CBA)..  He was paid like a  top 5 draft pick though and had incentives in his contract that brought him to a 2.25m cap hit (identical to kessels deal i believe)... He could have signed with colorado for a higher base salary, and I am not sure about the incentives under the old CBA, but he was a top 5 pick and got a top 5 deal.. For any team, those incentives arent a big deal though, only about 800k of those are actually reachable.. You can't give them out to all our rookies cause you carry the full cap hit till they can not hit those numbers.. but you shouldnt be afraid to hand them out to a guy with promis.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ed121501. Show ed121501's posts

A big kid who does not use his size to his fullest advantage. He's a good THIRD LINE player.
    Sounds alot like a forward version of Hal Gill (remember him ?): Big guy, little snarl.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

Why do people only look at stats?????? Yes, Wheeler was brought here to score goals. At the same time, we have to understand that he will never grow in this tight system of defense 1st and offense 2nd. I do like Wheeler and he still has alot to learn and will become a 25 to 30 goal scorer. I just dont think he will to it here with this system. As for stats. Wheelr has done a way better job then last year on every expect of the game. He has done other smaller things on the ice then score that people seem not to see. His skating, hitting, forechecking has done him very well this year. Put him on a team that plays more offensive and see what he does.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

I like Hockey, so giving the puck to the Goalie with a weak-a** wrist shot is better than puttting the puck in the corner, that allows your teammates time to gain the zone and have a chance to battle for the puck. If you give it to the goaliem he gives it to his defenseman who gives it to his forwards, and it's up the ice to your net. Okay. If you see it that way, I don't. 
    You'll score about 1 in 10,000 times you fire Wheeler's wrist shot at an NHL goalie. Better chance of figthing for the puck and battling to get a goal than what Wheeler is doing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Dez, your off on that.. He signed for a max rookie deal (but if he had stayed in colorado they could have paid him more under the old CBA)..  He was paid like a  top 5 draft pick though and had incentives in his contract that brought him to a 2.25m cap hit (identical to kessels deal i believe)... He could have signed with colorado for a higher base salary, and I am not sure about the incentives under the old CBA, but he was a top 5 pick and got a top 5 deal.. For any team, those incentives arent a big deal though, only about 800k of those are actually reachable.. You can't give them out to all our rookies cause you carry the full cap hit till they can not hit those numbers.. but you shouldnt be afraid to hand them out to a guy with promis.
    It won't be the last time I'm wrong.The point I'm making is there was a little more expected of him than an 18 yr.old that's freshly  drafted.Am I wrong about his recently taking a pay cut?Was it Phoenix or Colorado?Don't forget he was a top 5 pick that refused to sign.Typically when this happens they get re-drafted(at a lower position).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Perry.
    I will agree with that some, wheelers got a good wrist shot, so might have been that instance, but i certainly do agree with shooting just to shoot.. The PP prime example, and I think were in the few, but I would rather see a PP set up with good scoring chances and holding the puck then just firing away in hopes of it going in..
    I can't stand being at a game watching the team trying to set up and you just have those guys yelling "shoot"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]Perry. I will agree with that some, wheelers got a good wrist shot, so might have been that instance, but i certainly do agree with shooting just to shoot.. The PP prime example, and I think were in the few, but I would rather see a PP set up with good scoring chances and holding the puck then just firing away in hopes of it going in.. I can't stand being at a game watching the team trying to set up and you just have those guys yelling "shoot"

Roller alot of the times at least what I notice is the bruins take way too long to set up. Both savard and krejci need to shoot more I dont really have a problem if you put it on net.

I agree somewhat with perry that  a flutterer that the goalie can grab it and give right back to the D is no better than a straight up turnover. Thats why you put the puck low and hard on net and then crash the net hard!

p.s these boards are horrendous in their swear filtering. I wrote "the goalie can sn@tch it up" and I had to change  sn@tch lmao.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Savard should shoot more as long as its not the rediculous extended wind up he does all the time where he holds the stick cocked ready to fire way over his head...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

wheeler is barely a role player...tell me what he does that is noteworthy? no toughness, no scoring touch,no passing skills,average skater-on pace for maybe 20 goals -and he's having a solid year? come'on he's a big softy and WAY overpriced- you've got to move him if possible

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

ryder in my opinion is playing better than wheeler- if not, it would be him i would looking to move.  recchi needs to hang up the skates-if this team still needs his "veteran presence"-they are in trouble. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]wheeler is barely a role player...tell me what he does that is noteworthy? no toughness, no scoring touch,no passing skills,average skater-on pace for maybe 20 goals -and he's having a solid year? come'on he's a big softy and WAY overpriced- you've got to move him if possible
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]
    What do you consider a fair price for a 20 goal scorer that kills penalties?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]ryder in my opinion is playing better than wheeler- if not, it would be him i would looking to move.  recchi needs to hang up the skates-if this team still needs his "veteran presence"-they are in trouble. 
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]
    Is he playing twice as well because that's what he costs.

Sections
Shortcuts