where were you?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: where were you?

In Response to Re: where were you?:
    Crosby vs. Niskanen...November 2010...staged? You can be sure Crosby wanted to send a message and he did. It falls within this board's definition of staged, at least from Crosby's perspective. Did it have a point? Yes. Was it effective? Yes. Do I want to see Crosby fight? No, but the guy is a leader and recognized that fighting would have an impact. Obviously you will say that Thornton is no Crosby and that's the difference in the fight's effectiveness on team psychology, but even if you make that argument, you've conceded that a fight can get a team going. It's not Thornton's fault that until the shi* hits the fan, he's basically the only guy who's willing to do it (McQuaid, too)...every game, regardless of opponent, and, yes, with some class.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan

Yes, that fight is 100% junk.  If you're so mad that you have to fight, you're so mad you can't stand next to the guy and wait for the drop of the puck.  If you can wait for the puck to drop, you're not mad enough to fight...so don't.

I don't know what message you think that fake fight sent or what purpose it served.  They were down 4-1 and ended up losing 5-2.  They lost the next game also.

Thornton is the only guy willing to do...what?  Take a few punches and throw a few punches with the other team's cement head in a zero emotion fake fight that has no relation whatsoever to the hockey game that is being played?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

and now fans are calling for a staged fight between Lucic - Boulton.
    Can't wait to read all the comments if Lucic doesn't drop them. So silly.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Staged fights or not, fighting has being in hockey since Clegg Spreghorndays. If you want to take fighting out of hockey, then you might as well go European and change the ice size while your at it. And start sharping your sticks to boot.

I once was so very very lucky to be able to make it to one Bruin game. It was a semi final playoff game in Apr/78. John Retaile scored the game winner in OT and I got to see O'Reily go against Shultz twice. It was an amazing game, including the fights. And from what I saw, every Bruin fan in the Garden enjoyed them too. I can't believe the culture of hockey in Boston has changed that much since 78.

PS : I was reading today's paper and guess what Cammalleri,Nash,MacArthur,Backes,Whitney and Coutre have in common with Lucic ?  They all have less points than Lucic. And Lucic has more points than any other Bruin. I'm thinking that Thorton dropping his gloves or not, is not as important than having some other players getting some points.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Stuke, no one said ban fighting.  They need to ban the entertainment fights that these Skating Clowns enact. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: where were you? : Yes, that fight is 100% junk.  If you're so mad that you have to fight, you're so mad you can't stand next to the guy and wait for the drop of the puck.  If you can wait for the puck to drop, you're not mad enough to fight...so don't. I don't know what message you think that fake fight sent or what purpose it served.  They were down 4-1 and ended up losing 5-2.  They lost the next game also. Thornton is the only guy willing to do...what?  Take a few punches and throw a few punches with the other team's cement head in a zero emotion fake fight that has no relation whatsoever to the hockey game that is being played?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

There's extra punishment involved if you don't wait for the puck to drop.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: where were you? : There's extra punishment involved if you don't wait for the puck to drop.
    Posted by dezaruchi

If you can wait to go, you don't go.  If you're not mad enough fight right now, wait until the next time you are mad enough to fight.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: where were you? : If you can wait to go, you don't go.  If you're not mad enough fight right now, wait until the next time you are mad enough to fight.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

A team player is able to put the team ahead of his own feelings.Not all hockey fights are  from pure anger but I guess that's what you're taking issue with.Do you remember when Kolzig fought his best man,Byron Dafoe, during a game?It wasn't because he was mad at him it was because his team needed Kolzig to do it.As long as they allow fighting in the game this debate will rage on.Personally I agree in regards to playing Caron ahead of Thornton.If nothing else it's foolish that Thornton plays every game rather  than sparingly.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: where were you? : A team player is able to put the team ahead of his own feelings.Not all hockey fights are  from pure anger but I guess that's what you're taking issue with.Do you remember when Kolzig fought his best man,Byron Dafoe, during a game?It wasn't because he was mad at him it was because his team needed Kolzig to do it.As long as they allow fighting in the game this debate will rage on.Personally I agree in regards to playing Caron ahead of Thornton.If nothing else it's foolish that Thornton plays every game rather  than sparingly.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Check your memory, Dez.  Kolzig and Dafoe didn't fight.  They were locked up and jerked around jerseys, but there was no fight there.  Those guys are best friends.

If a fight isn't for anger or retribution, what is it for?  Please don't go down the "get the team going" road, because I already have shown in a different thread that a case could be made for one goal coming as a result of all of Thornton's staged clown dancing this season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: where were you? : Check your memory, Dez.  Kolzig and Dafoe didn't fight.  They were locked up and jerked around jerseys, but there was no fight there.  Those guys are best friends. If a fight isn't for anger or retribution, what is it for?  Please don't go down the "get the team going" road, because I already have shown in a different thread that a case could be made for one goal coming as a result of all of Thornton's staged clown dancing this season.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Admittedly I forgot to check my memory.They locked up after both being involved in fighting other players.Anyway,i was only saying that sometimes there are fights that are neither out of anger nor staged.Do they help anything?Probably not but I was just playing devil's advocate.Speaking of staged fights,Ottawa certainly SEEMED to get a lift when Carkner punched out Godard last night.It may not have made a difference but Ottawa certainly looked to be skating with more confidence when Pitts tough guy left the game to be worked on by the med staff.

Sections
Shortcuts