Who are the 5th & 6th D?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Who are the 5th & 6th D?

From all reports McQuaid will not be ready for a while, who are #'s 5 & 6 on D? Hamilton will probably be given a shot so who else? Aaron Johnson, Garnet Exelby? Warsofsky or Bartkowski? Maybe Krug? How about Mike Mottau? In the limited ice that he got while here I thought he actually did his job pretty well. Please, nobody suggest Shane Hnidy!!!

I imagine there will be 7 D with maybe some rotation of who sits and watches from upstairs. I'm guessing Hamilton and Johnson to start with both getting some nights off. Mottau would be good insurance in case of injury or if Hamilton (or whomever else) are not up to par yet.

Chara and Seidenberg better be ready to log some serious minutes!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Who are the 5th & 6th D?

Camp and the first 5 games is huge for Hamilton, Bruins brass can still send him back to the OHL this season. I don't see Exelby, Warsofsky or Bartkowski being ready to fill in until McQuaid gets back they are just not ready. I could see Krug getting a chance becuase he improved his +/- since it was abysmal in October. Also becuase the way Chiarelli went after Krug last year, he probably still wants to give him a shot.

If Julien tells Chiarelli he wants a vet, I like Colin White (if he doesn't announce his retirement) to help out until McQuaid gets healthy. Blocked 94 shots last year not playing a full schedule, probably wouldn't mind going to Providence on a two-way, cap friendly and is tuff when he needs to stick up for a teammate.

Haven't seen enough of Johnson to know if he is going to give the Bruin fans nightmares.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Camp and the first 5 games is huge for Hamilton, Bruins brass can still send him back to the OHL this season. I don't see Exelby, Warsofsky or Bartkowski being ready to fill in until McQuaid gets back they are just not ready. I could see Krug getting a chance becuase he improved his +/- since it was abysmal in October. Also becuase the way Chiarelli went after Krug last year, he probably still wants to give him a shot.

If Julien tells Chiarelli he wants a vet, I like Colin White (if he doesn't announce his retirement) to help out until McQuaid gets healthy. Blocked 94 shots last year not playing a full schedule, probably wouldn't mind going to Providence on a two-way, cap friendly and is tuff when he needs to stick up for a teammate.

Haven't seen enough of Johnson to know if he is going to give the Bruin fans nightmares.

Very interesting , Bruins could take that.  Another ex-player of the NJ Julien days.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

White has slowed a lot but is a perfect fit.  I'm more concerned about our top 4. Chara and ds are top notch.  Boychuk is a pass but will be partnered with ds.  My concern is and has been if chara ever goes down this team will follow.  They should play Hamilton with him and be trying to pick up a serviceable defenseman who can play a variety of roles.  We need someone to play with chara.  A solid top 4.  Our backend isn't wowing me at all. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

What about Brett Clark?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

No worries here.  That shutdown D Bartkowski is ready to go.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

My impression was that Trotman had surpassed Bartkowski and Warsofsky on the depth chart.  Can anyone who knows more about Providence confirm or deny that?  Could he be in the mix?

Always liked Colin White but I think his skating is pretty poor at this point.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

My impression was that Trotman had surpassed Bartkowski and Warsofsky on the depth chart.  Can anyone who knows more about Providence confirm or deny that?  Could he be in the mix?

Always liked Colin White but I think his skating is pretty poor at this point.

Agreed.

Hopefully Exellby is never needed, I'd assume it would be McQuaid and Hamilton. If McQuaid is injured than probably Aaron Johnson.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Trotman is the only defensman currently in Providence or SC that has NHL talent. Has the size n skating strength to develope. Cross is a work in progress, I've seen nothing from any other defenseman on the PBruins.

@MarkDivver
    "Jared Knight & Zach Trotman both out indefinitely after injuries last night. T. Randell called up from SC and D Wes O'Neill from ECHL Toledo"

Bodies are piling up down there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Trotman is the only defensman currently in Providence or SC that has NHL talent. Has the size n skating strength to develope. Cross is a work in progress, I've seen nothing from any other defenseman on the PBruins.

@MarkDivver
    "Jared Knight & Zach Trotman both out indefinitely after injuries last night. T. Randell called up from SC and D Wes O'Neill from ECHL Toledo"

Bodies are piling up down there.

are we talking about the Randall that played in the OHL last season ?

forgot about this guy,  he can fight.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

But we don't have 1 more top 4.  We need someone that can log some big minutes and take some heat off chara. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Only way a top 4 is coming is through a trade, or if someone in the system lights it up. The top UFA D are Clark, Campoli, Eaton, Foster, Hsukins, White and Jones - smoe servicable fill ins there, but no one that can spell off minutes for Chara.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

But we don't have 1 more top 4.  We need someone that can log some big minutes and take some heat off chara.

Since there has been no major injuries and other than being one year older- What has led you to believe that the top 4 Dmen are in trouble and can't handle their minutes any longer ?

Like all other teams if an injury occurs then the GM will address it ? No ?

How many teams have a #5 Dman that can instantly be a #3 or #4 ?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattc355. Show mattc355's posts

Since there has been no major injuries and other than being one year older- What has led you to believe that the top 4 Dmen are in trouble and can't handle their minutes any longer ?

Especially if Chara-Hamilton holds up as a pairing.  I think we will be fine.  Seidenberg-Boychuk haven't played together much, but I trust Boychuk more now than I did before.  I think that pairing would be good.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Because we are banking on a rookie as a 2 guy.  I didn't like our defence last year either.  

ference and Mcq.  Are a great 5-6.  Seidz n boychuk are a solid 3-4 but not great.  Chara needs someone to help him.  In a short season we can ride him more.  But we ideally should be getting someone that can log some all purpose minutes.  Our defence was saved many nights by TT.  We no longer have that and chara isn't getting younger.   I am concerned about our defence and goalie.  most teams don't have a chara.  Take him outta there and our backend stinks. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Hamilton may play with Chara some but he wont be paired with him. He wont be out there on the PK with him, mybe some power play but definetly not in the last minutes of a tight game. I think Seidenberg will be out there then.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Luckilly it's a 48 game season, and Chara is one of the best conditioned athletes in professional sports. I'm not too worried about it, though it would be nice to have another top 4 calibre d-man. Maybe Hamilton develops into that person, or maybe they pick someone up next year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Hamilton may play with Chara some but he wont be paired with him. He wont be out there on the PK with him, mybe some power play but definetly not in the last minutes of a tight game. I think Seidenberg will be out there then.

That's my point.  We need someone we can rely on or we put guys in extra minute positions.  Hamilton I don't see staying with the club.  Then what?  Who is our next is our next option and 7d-man.   With McQ with head issues and a rookie in our top 6 it scares me.  In a short season and no TT we could be in a bad situation if we don't add a piece back there.  

Chara makes life easy.  I just worry too much if he should go down.  we really don't have a strong top 4.  Take away chara and it scares no one.  Take away TT and well.  I just don't like it.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

That's my point.  We need someone we can rely on or we put guys in extra minute positions.  Hamilton I don't see staying with the club.  Then what?  Who is our next is our next option and 7d-man.   With McQ with head issues and a rookie in our top 6 it scares me.  In a short season and no TT we could be in a bad situation if we don't add a piece back there.  

Chara makes life easy.  I just worry too much if he should go down.  we really don't have a strong top 4.  Take away chara and it scares no one.  Take away TT and well.  I just don't like it.  

I would hesitate to break up Chara and Seidenberg. I realize they've been paired mainly in the playoffs, but in a 48 game season, Chara expected to log a ton of mins, you put the two of them together and you get the most out of both of them..As for your other points, a lot of teasm would love another top 4 d-man and are an injury away from their defense cropse looking a whole lot different. Bruins have the best d-man in the game, so it's not that bad..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Looks like Mottau will not be in the mix.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413380

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Good article Crowls....From what I saw of Hamilton in the World Junior's, I wouldn't plan on having him on the Bruins blue line when the puck drops. I hope they don't send him back to the OHL though.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Stuke50's comment:

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Good article Crowls....From what I saw of Hamilton in the World Junior's, I wouldn't plan on having him on the Bruins blue line when the puck drops. I hope they don't send him back to the OHL though.

We'll find out in a week whether Bruins management feels the same. I'm hoping he sticks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'd say it's about 70-30 that he sticks.  I would have put it at 95-5 if this was any regular year, but there isn't time to ease him in over the first half now.  He can either play semi-regularly now or they have a tough decision about whether or not they burn a contract year just to give him exposure and NHL coachiing for the next 3 months.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:[/QUOTE]

How many teams have a #5 Dman that can instantly be a #3 or #4 ?[/QUOTE]

Because we are banking on a rookie as a 2 guy.  I didn't like our defence last year either.  

ference and Mcq.  Are a great 5-6.  Seidz n boychuk are a solid 3-4 but not great.  Chara needs someone to help him.  In a short season we can ride him more.  But we ideally should be getting someone that can log some all purpose minutes.  Our defence was saved many nights by TT.  We no longer have that and chara isn't getting younger.   I am concerned about our defence and goalie.  most teams don't have a chara.  Take him outta there and our backend stinks. [/QUOTE]

I have to disagree that Seidenberg and Boychuk are not just solid, see Siedenberg minutes his last 3 playoffs series. I cannot say that I am not concerened about the blueline but I do trust in Chiarelli if he isn't satisfied with Hamiltons play he will go out and get a defensman.

Hopefully I finally get my wish and it's Joni Pitkanen, PC liking Rutherford's defensman is a history. I still say Krug, who scored again last night, gets a look before PC has to make a trade. This could also be all for not, Hamilton is everything I expected.

Sections
Shortcuts