Who Believes There Will Be NO NHL Come October?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Who Believes There Will Be NO NHL Come October?

I for one do not believe the NHL and the NHLPA will come to an agreement by the time October comes around.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Who Believes There Will Be NO NHL Come October?

I think the sides are too far apart right now.
    I haven't heard any back and forth, so I don't think there's progress being made.
    The players would be happy to play under the current CBA, but the NHL says they can't afford it.
    So no strike, but a lockout.
    I'm hoping it would be short, but who knows.
    Right now I'm guessing no hockey, but who knows.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think they will reach an agreement. They are not far apart in principle, only in numbers. This is much different than debating cap/no cap.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

There will be an agreement.  Too much to lose by delaying the season.  The revenue sharing between the players and owners being the real issue.  The owners argument has holes in it with the Weber offer sheet and Nash to the Rangers as a salary dump. Thus minimum cap number will be an issue too.  The framework is already established as noted above.      

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Who Believes There Will Be NO NHL Come October?:[QUOTE]I think they will reach an agreement. They are not far apart in principle, only in numbers. This is much different than debating cap/no cap. Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Oates nailed it so well that BDC had to post it twice.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/why-nhl-teams-cry-poor-despite-the-leagues-record-growth/article4429817/

I would not be surprised if the NHLPA makes a counter this week, not out of the realm of possibility. Then the owners will counter, so on n so forth. Plenty of time till October to get a compromise done.

By the way James Mirtle put together the best article I've read so far on the matter at hand ^above^.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I think there will be a season but will start late, maybe late November,early December.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

Ya i find it hard to believe anything coming from the owners when you have players recieving 15 year contract offers. The only thing that i feel would make the game better is too eliminate failing franchises only one really comes to mind, coyotes. But then you have boardline teams that are struggling like the islanders, columbus. If you have the money to offer top free agents outrageous contracts then lowering the cap and dropping those salaries is a tough sell. Atleast to me. I dont get the coyotes fans their a good team and have a group of talented players yet no one goes to the games. Who decided phoenix was a good market for hockey? bcs it obviously hasnt worked out so far. I can see why their players are leaving in the fa market imaging making the playoffs every year and you still have an empty house, i wouldnt want to play for a fan base like that either.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

Dont see a lockout happening the nhl cannot afford it. They just starting receiving network money and this would throw a wrench into that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Too much at stake with NBC going "all in" on hockey.  This is one of the kingpins of television networks.  This is not the USA network, ESPN, or the network formerly known as Versus backing the sport.  The NHLPA and owners have to recognize this and move to an agreement as quickly as possible.    I could see a November 1 start, but not much more than that.  

They also have to know that there will be inherent flaws in whatever "new" system they finally agree upon, and we will be talking about those in the next however many years.  It will be a mistake to try to use inordinate time to try to make it "perfect" with the GREAT things the sport already has in place----Overall Revenues (+) and Marketability (NBC)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

In Response to Re: Who Believes There Will Be NO NHL Come October?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who Believes There Will Be NO NHL Come October? :               Oates nailed it so well that BDC had to post it twice.                  http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/why-nhl-teams-cry-poor-despite-the-leagues-record-growth/article4429817/ I would not be surprised if the NHLPA makes a counter this week, not out of the realm of possibility. Then the owners will counter, so on n so forth. Plenty of time till October to get a compromise done. By the way James Mirtle put together the best article I've read so far on the matter at hand ^above^.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

That is a great article, thanks for posting it.  I think Fehr and the NHLPA should set a goal of getting revenue sharing increased by the same % as the cap drops.  Their first offer therefore shoud have 18% revenue sharing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I agree with Oates, there will be hockey.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I think the league will extend the current CBA before locking out the players. They finally have a big Network contract. I can't see them jeopardizing that after it took so long & hard to get.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]I agree with Oates, there will be hockey.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

Me too. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]Ya i find it hard to believe anything coming from the owners when you have players recieving 15 year contract offers. Posted by heyoo[/QUOTE]

I keep reading this, and, while I understand the pull of optics, that's all this is.

The current deal commits owners to spending at least $54M in player salaries every year.  How they get there is for their GMs to decide.  Once you hit $54M, you have $16M to allocate before you hit the ceiling.  That variance is currently 33% of what they MUST pay or 3/4 of the most you can pay under the cap.  In poker terms, it's a small raise when you've already paid twice that much into the pot, and in this case the payoff is a chance to make gate during the playoffs.  If a team makes $3M per home game, and pays 0 player salary, they only need to win one round to have a shot at covering the difference between the floor and the ceiling.  That means a commitment to winning is investing to make money rather than pay a few grinders to sit on their hands and lose in front of a half-full arena.

We've also seen how the growth in revenues has made the annual cost of long term deals look smaller and smaller as time goes by - so a long term deal fixes the cost of a valuable asset against a growing base of revenue, which means the burder of that cost effectively declines over the course of the deal.  Take the first of these deals as an example.  Rick DiPietro's 15 year monster deal pays $4.5M per year.  When he signed it in 2006-07, that was more than 10% of the team salary cap ($44M/year).  Six years later, it's 6.4%.  If revenues had continued to grow at the same rate under the same CBA, by the end of the deal, DiPietro would have been 4% of the Cap ($110M).  Overall, long term deals look huge, but they're a way of minimizing annual costs for your key players - especially vs. competing for them on the open market.

Look at who gives these monster deals - the Devils are always looking for a way to save a buck; the Isles are perpetually broke; Washington has deep pockets, but they're tying up one of the top players in the game and handcuffing Backstrom to him; Minny is a smaller market that has never been a big salary player; the Wirtzes are as bad as Jacobs in Chicago. These are teams that need to find an edge because they will lose UFAs to the next group - the only teams really tossing the cash around like drunks.  Rangers are responsible for Gomez, adding Nash, signing Richards as a UFA; the Wings locked up Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Franzen, and, worst of all, the Fillies locked up their own guys in Richards and Carter before dealing them, signed Briere and Bryzgalov, and now Weber, and both Pronger and Timmonen got long terms for guys their age (7 and 6 years).  7 players, 68 years.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

A lot of talk about the new TV deal.  Which side sees this as their "ace in the hole" will dictate a lot.  I'm betting the PA feels the league will not jeopordize anything there, so my vote is mid Nov.  Both sides are miles apart, and many really didn't think this deal would be that tough to put together.  After the leagues intitial offer, it'll take several for them to save any face at all, and they just can't be put together that quickly.
    This first shot is quite tough to go from, as it's so extreme.  The players will need to respond to something equally ridiculous, so we're worse off than we were months ago, and we're going into August.  I don't see the time for any more than about 4 offers per by the start of Oct.  We know the split will change, but a lot of head-knocking will be done before that's done.  We know the PA won't live with anything even close to the other demands, so, other than the split, the owners will have to totally cave on all of their other issues, just to  physically have the time to put everything to bed by Oct 1.  I just can't see anyone being that stupid going in.  The owners will have no credibility, going along with the current CBA in the meantime either.  The starting point here, is huge, dynamic change to the business of hockey.  Arguably bigger than last time, and there's so much to do, I can't see it getting done before it's time to lock guys out.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

I agree wih null. It's all about NBC. The NHL can't risk losing that. Both the players and owners know that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mb30. Show mb30's posts

[QUOTE]I agree wih null. It's all about NBC. The NHL can't risk losing that. Both the players and owners know that.
    Posted by Klaas[/QUOTE]

Don't feed the trolls!.. and especially don't agree with them! 

"This post is hidden because you are ignoring null"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mb30. Show mb30's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with Oates, there will be hockey.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

Agree.  There will be hockey come October.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Saying you can't believe the owners because of teams giving out big contracts is like saying the league doesn't need to battle concussions because it's the players who are injuring themselves. Totally silly.

The teams are not on the same team. They all want desperately to win. Some teams have extra financial resources and will try to bend the rules to win. A team like the Flyers is like Sean Avery, picking on Nashville (Savard), and Colin Campbell has to say "hands are tied, it's within the rules". In order to ensure a competitive, fair league, there needs to be safeguards for weaker teams. Teams need to be protected from being forced into offering foolish, multi-decade contracts because some rogue members of their association are willing to do it. As far as the money split, that's up to the players and owners, but just because one team offers a stupid contract and sets the bar for what it takes to sign a player, doesn't mean all the team want or should have to operate under that system.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I think they'll play on time.

Great link to that article SanDog. The line that catches me:
    "It’s an owner versus owner problem more than it is an owner versus player one"
    It seems there will always be a caste system in place and the big boys really want the lesser owners to eat at the kid's table and leave them alone. It is the fatal flaw in Bettman's "Hockey in the Sun Belt" plan.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lereve77. Show lereve77's posts

I am praying that they start on time. On a side note, wasn't it great there was no NBA last fall. I wish basketball would be locked out forever! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I do not believe the season will be delayed.  The league has too much to lose, and they will never get another contract like the NBC deal again.

Sections
Shortcuts