Who did Colin Campbell call "a little fake artist"?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Re: Who did Colin Campbell call "a little fake artist"?

One would half hope that now that his son is on the team the Bruins would catch a break but the sad fact is that unless the NHL dismisses Campbell IMMEDIATELY they will be exposed for letting a biased, fraudulent admin. official not only give other teams a competitive advantagte, but put actual players' lives in jeapordy.

this is disgusting and yes I feel bad for Greg the player but his Daddy deserves nothing but an immediate and dishonorable discharge from the league. Makes me sick.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from glacebayminers. Show glacebayminers's posts

To much drama for the NHL right now after lastnight's Rangers Oilers game and then all these emails are coming out that shouldnt have gotten out but something has to be done by the NHL now. If Joe Thorton gets 3 games for his hit on Perron of St Louis then Matt Cooke should have Received at least that and then some. So maybe it's time for Colin Campbell to resign from his post after all these allegations towards him. Gary Bettman has to stand up for the league and not the guys who run it. It's another week of the NHL being in the sport headlines for the wrong reason's because Colin Campbell cant perform his job without and ego.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

Did anyone just see Mike Milbury on the Bruins pregame show?  He actually defended Colin Campbell and said he shouldn't receive any serious punishment for his actions.  You want to know why people think Milbury s_cks?  This is why.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

The league can not have any credibility as long as Colin Campbell remains in his current position. There's no doubt at all that he can't put his personal biases aside and perform the job capably.

He has to go. There's absolutely no doubt about it. If the NHL keeps him, then they will rank just above the WWE as far as their ability to be taken seriously as a "real sport".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Let's not all lose our heads.

Think of it this way: He's on "our" side now.

His replacement - who knows? Probably not. Why chance it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Who did Colin Campbell call "a little fake artist"?:[QUOTE]The league can not have any credibility as long as Colin Campbell remains in his current position. There's no doubt at all that he can't put his personal biases aside and perform the job capably. Posted by Kennedy97[/QUOTE]

That's the bottom line plain and simple and then Newfie crawls out of the wood work to join Campbell in his distain of Savard laughable.

"In order to have someone in charge of NHL discipline you have to have someone who knows the game." Campbell knows the game ? Colin only showed that he's power hungry and that his position has gone to his head.

"His comments as a NHL disciplinarian make sense." This comment only makes sense to someone who doesn't know hockey that is you! I can believe you actually typed that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

In Response to Re: Who did Colin Campbell call "a little fake artist"?:
    [QUOTE]Did anyone just see Mike Milbury on the Bruins pregame show?  He actually defended Colin Campbell and said he shouldn't receive any serious punishment for his actions.  You want to know why people think Milbury s_cks?  This is why.
    Posted by TimThomas-god[/QUOTE]
    Looks like Milbury might want a job with the league someday.  Or he at least wants to keep his CBC gig.  Something tells me that those who speak out against Colin (the colon) Campbell will become persona non grata with the league.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]Fire. Colin. Campbell. NOW. Of course, this story isn't a revelation. It's simply a confirmation. Campbell is petty, vindictive, stupid, bullying and incompetent. Everyone knew that. Now it's simply been displayed to the world, in black and white. If Campbell isn't fired, it's a stain on the NHL that so spin in the world can erase.  And Greg Campbell should not be blamed for any of this. The sins of the father should not be visited on the son, and I'm sure Greg is probably the most embarrassed guy in the world right now. It's got to be difficult to be the son of the worst hockey parent in North America.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

Absolutely!  21st century technology meets 20th century stupidity.  ESPN is trying to gain the NHL as a ptotential maintream sport to telecast and this idiot arrogantly proclaims that a person ten years ago is the same person today... dumas!  Fire him! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]The league can not have any credibility as long as Colin Campbell remains in his current position. There's no doubt at all that he can't put his personal biases aside and perform the job capably. He has to go. There's absolutely no doubt about it. If the NHL keeps him, then they will rank just above the WWE as far as their ability to be taken seriously as a "real sport".
    Posted by Kennedy97[/QUOTE]

Yup I agree!  Look above ^.  BTW is the handle pic Jean Beliveau? Doug Harvey?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who did Colin Campbell call "a little fake artist"? : Looks like Milbury might want a job with the league someday.  Or he at least wants to keep his CBC gig.  Something tells me that those who speak out against Colin (the colon) Campbell will become persona non grata with the league.
    Posted by Mutant211[/QUOTE]

Milbury did the same thing last spring when Campbell didn't suspend Cooke (one of the very, very few to defend Campbell). His nose was jammed so far up Campbell's behind I'm surprised he could breathe.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]Let's not all lose our heads. Think of it this way: He's on "our" side now. His replacement - who knows? Probably not. Why chance it.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

I don't want someone on "our" side, I want someone who's on the right side. Whoever is being denied justice is irrelevent. As a hockey fan, not just a Bruins fan, IMHO justice should be blind.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

So...hindsight being 20/20...here's what we should have recognized.

To paraphrase Bill Daly, none of this is news to the league.  They would have known that these emails would be public record back when they were submitted in the Warren case.  They recognized the potential 'tempest in a teapot' and redacted as much information as possible, but ultimately, they didn't act to discipline Campbell.  Bet you a dollar he wrote a scathing email about Avery in the hours leading up to the original blog post re: Savard.  So of course the league must close ranks now and say there's no issue with Campbell, because to do something now would be disingenuous.  They're damned either way, and their best bet to make it go away quickly is downplay.

My hope is that there are plenty of other writers following KPD's lead today and pointing out the obvious.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

[QUOTE]So...hindsight being 20/20...here's what we should have recognized. To paraphrase Bill Daly, none of this is news to the league.  They would have known that these emails would be public record back when they were submitted in the Warren case.  They recognized the potential 'tempest in a teapot' and redacted as much information as possible, but ultimately, they didn't act to discipline Campbell.  Bet you a dollar he wrote a scathing email about Avery in the hours leading up to the original blog post re: Savard.  So of course the league must close ranks now and say there's no issue with Campbell, because to do something now would be disingenuous.  They're damned either way, and their best bet to make it go away quickly is downplay. My hope is that there are plenty of other writers following KPD's lead today and pointing out the obvious.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Yes, the NHL honchos closed ranks on one of their own, what else is new in this old boys network..  no surprise here the NHL is trying to bury this asap.. Worse off is hearing some of the guys who cover the NHL ( and I mean prominent ones ie Mckenzie, Dreger,etc ) not having the gonads to step forward with biting critiscism  and put pressure on Bettman to act.. Guess you don't want to bite the hand that feeds you is the old saying..Pity!!

I was reading an interesting article today on cbc website by Eliotte Friedman.  I have attached link below..Pretty interesting stuff coming from former refs as you can read in the quotes attributed to them..My question is why would the NHL in all of its brilliance part ways with long standing officials in what seems to be a very acrimonious relationship.. They do have to know these guys will eventually write tell all books .. Not good..

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/elliottefriedman/2010/11/campbell-emails-puts-objectivity-into-question.html

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In order to get my Internship. I had to pass a 4hour long security/policy training course. In it was a very indepth excercise regarding Email Policy. Particularly it was extremely concise in that all Emails are Electronic records and can/will be pulled up if requested. It gave grueling examples of how you absolutely do not say anything in an email that you would not want printed on the front page of a newspaper with your name attached to it. Or to write anything in an email that may reflect on the company in a negative light.

Violations of either of these policies can be ground for termination.

So to see one of the Top NHL execs making these types of mistakes is very, very bad for the Reputation of the NHL and its Execs as a league. The only cure would be immediate termination of Campbell. If not for potential Bias and potential inability to perform his job, it should absolutely be the way that Campbell(a ruling official) Conducted his demeanor and tone in those emails.

Whats that your Just being a hockey dad Colin?? Well you GAVE THAT RIGHT UP! When you took that position. Clearly somebody who has vocalized an opinion of a player as "A fake artist diver" Is unable to make impartial decision about that player and potential the many other players he may have "opinions" about.

Fire campbell now!.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who did Colin Campbell call "a little fake artist"? : I don't want someone on "our" side, I want someone who's on the right side. Whoever is being denied justice is irrelevent. As a hockey fan, not just a Bruins fan, IMHO justice should be blind.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

Bingo...how can you have a league where one of the most powerful individuals is so obviously compromised.  Do you think the NFL / Roger Goodell would stand for this? Would David Stern? Even baseball, as flawed and screwed up as their management has been, would make sure that a guy like Colin Campbell was not employed in such a hugely important position if statements like the ones he's made came to light.

He's got to go. And the NHL is a joke if he doesn't.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

http://nhl-red-light.si.com/2010/11/16/the-morning-skate-papas-got-a-brand-new-blog-and-colin-campbells-under-fire/

thoughts?

I thought it was a pretty good defense of Campbell--even though I think he should be dismissed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]http://nhl-red-light.si.com/2010/11/16/the-morning-skate-papas-got-a-brand-new-blog-and-colin-campbells-under-fire/ thoughts? I thought it was a pretty good defense of Campbell--even though I think he should be dismissed.
    Posted by OlsonicCreations[/QUOTE]

Very well written and research piece on the Campbell email controversy.
    The blocked excerpts were the most convincing.  He is not biased against Savard.  He may just be a didactic in the interpretation of the rules.  

IMO, Campbell still needs to be fired as the NHL is dire need of revamping the officiating and oversight of all aspects of the games.  Campbell sending the emails is just arrogance as it has been known for awhile emails are used in the court of law.  The rules should also be interpreted more loosely to help the game evolve.  The game will never be on par with American Football or Baseball but it should have a growing niche in North American sports.  

A.  However, this “evidence” against Campbell’s integrity in the Savard-Cooke incident doesn’t quite match the facts. He’s inconsistent, yes. Even negligent at times. But a cheater on a vindictive bent toward a player against whom he holds a grudge? That’s wrong.

B. First, if Campbell’s rulings were colored by his being Gregory’s father, why (as www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/elliottefriedman/2010/11/campbell-emails-puts-objectivity-into-question.html" target="_blank">Elliotte Friedman of Hockey Night in Canada points out) didn’t he suspend Steve Ott of the Dallas Stars for this blatant charge against young Campbell in March, 2009

C.  In the aftermath of Cooke’s hit on Savard last March, with concerns about head shots reaching a crescendo, the omnipresent pressure on Campbell to suspend Cooke began with his boss, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman, who demanded that Campbell find a way to dispense supplementary discipline on the Penguins forward even though blindside hit to the head at the time were within the rules.

But Campbell wouldn’t do it. A senior league official who attended the GMs meeting last March, just after the Cooke hit, says Bettman and Campbell “went back and forth” on the question of a suspension during the session, but Campbell wouldn’t give in even though he detested the hit on Savard. He could not in good conscience suspend Cooke because there was no provision for it, just as he did not suspend Mike Richards earlier in the season for his blindside head shot to the Panthers’ David Booth…   …that concussed Booth and cost him the remainder of the season. Campbell could have created one — it wouldn’t have been hard to call it a deliberate attempt to injure — but he is not charged with inventing policy, just enforcing it. And that policy emanates from the NHL GMs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

On this part:
    "B. First, if Campbell’s rulings were colored by his being Gregory’s father, why (as www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/elliottefriedman/2010/11/campbell-emails-puts-objectivity-into-question.html" target="_blank">Elliotte Friedman of Hockey Night in Canada points out) didn’t he suspend Steve Ott of the Dallas Stars for this blatant charge against young Campbell in March, 2009"

I thought decisions in games involving his son were handled by someone else?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]On this part: " B.  First, if Campbell’s rulings were colored by his being Gregory’s father, why (as  www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/elliottefriedman/2010/11/campbell-emails-puts-objectivity-into-question.html " target="_blank" /> Elliotte Friedman of Hockey Night in Canada  points out) didn’t he suspend Steve Ott of the Dallas Stars for this blatant charge against young Campbell in March, 2009 " I thought decisions in games involving his son were handled by someone else?
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

Campbell was part of a team making the Ott decision as status quo for all decisions on discipline.  In fact he may have excused himself from the ruling.  That is purely conjecture though.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who did Colin Campbell call "a little fake artist"? : Campbell was part of a team making the Ott decision as status quo for all decisions on discipline.  In fact he may have excused himself from the ruling.  That is purely conjecture though.  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

That is not conjecture.  Campbell said very cleary that he was recused from any decisions about his son.  So Ott not being suspended is entirely a moot point in evaluating Campbell's fairness.  By his own statement, he had nothing to do with it.

And in regards to C. above.  That is hogwash too.  Campbell has departed from the written rules many times, which I wrote about above in an earlier post.  He has suspended people for intent to injure and for a blow to the head.  He just wouldn't do it on the Cooke hit.  No principle, no precedent. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

McKenzie weighs in.  I have read this twice and I still don't understand McKenzie's point and why fans should still not be outraged by "Colie-Gate".  I would say enjoy the read, but I am guessing most will simply be more infuriated....like me.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=341501

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

[QUOTE]Wow... first off, that was some great investigative journalism by Tyler Dellow. The fact this all stems from court documents gives it serious veracity. Secondly, with this having come to light, in order for the league to maintain integrity Campbell has to be fired. Immediately.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Not just him, but Bettman as well. They are the NHL's version of the "Longest Yard".

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]McKenzie weighs in.  I have read this twice and I still don't understand McKenzie's point and why fans should still not be outraged by "Colie-Gate".  I would say enjoy the read, but I am guessing most will simply be more infuriated....like me. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=341501
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

Glad to see I'm not the only one. I figured McKenzie would stand up for what's right. Instead, it's more like "oh well, boys will be boys."

This game and these players deserve better than to be ruled over by a bunch of overgrown frat boys. At the very least, make disciplinary decisions the job of a panel, not one guy who may or may not have vendettas/prejudices.

And it's unbelieveably disingenous of him to suggest that since nobody in the NHL is going on record to complain, Campbell is getting unanimous support. What does he expect? That someone like Chiarelli is going to stand up and loudly protest? In this climate, what on earth would that get him?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.thebruinsblog.net/2010/11/16/campbell-mess-could-continue-to-hurt-bruins/#more-11488

But that doesn’t mean it has always been the case. Dean Warren, the ex-NHL referee whose court case this week brought to light the Colin Campbell emails from three years ago involving Campbell’s opinions on refs and players alike, was a guest on the Greg Brady Show on the Fan 590 in Toronto today. Warren continued to call into question the elder Campbell’s integrity as the NHL Senior Executive VP of Hockey Operations.

“I recall one the other day specifically. I was talking to a fella about it the other day. I called a penalty late in the game against Florida,” Warren told Brady about a game featuring Gregory Campbell. “And Stephen Walkom was the director of officiating at the time, and he called me the next day and he said Mr. Campbell doesn’t think it’s a penalty. And I said, well the guy ran him down from behind, the player got hit, went headfirst into the boards, I don’t know how you can’t call it a penalty. And I said, as a matter of fact, I kind of wondered should I have given a game misconduct as well as a penalty.

“And I do know at the time that Stephen Walkom said look if I’ve got to listen to Colin Campbell anymore, I’m going to slit my own wrists. That kind of gives you an indication of Mr. Campbell certainly ruling or making decisions on games involving Florida and his son’s team.”

Brady asked Warren how Colin Campbell’s position affected Gregory Campbell on the ice.

“I don’t know if it affected his play or not,” said Warren. “I knew the referees knew who he was and maybe to some degree gave him a wider berth, I don’t know. Certainly not in any games I officiated. And I know some of the senior guys that got a lot of integrity wouldn’t let that affect them. But, do you help out your boss’s kid a little bit? I don’t know.”

The only thing now I can hope for is the press keeps this thing rolling then the NHLPA does it's job doubtful but I can still hope. Obviously the NHL wants to brush this under the rug the only thing that could keep going away is a lawsuit.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]McKenzie weighs in.  I have read this twice and I still don't understand McKenzie's point and why fans should still not be outraged by "Colie-Gate".  I would say enjoy the read, but I am guessing most will simply be more infuriated....like me. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=341501
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

McKenzie is dead on why the NHL will go on without a reflection.  His last line states it all:

it's not about one man, it never has been. It's about The Game, those who run it, those who play it and how they govern it. They do, we (media and fans) don't. That's just the way it is.

In my mind that is why the NHL will not change for the better.  McKenzie may be right, but me thinks he has represented in writing why the NHL is a business that does not recognize it's consumers.  Dumas thinking by the NHL.  Good luck selling tickets to the mothers of children who play youth hockey and look at the NHL 20th century not as a "think tank" but a cesspool.  

Sections
Shortcuts