Who ever called for Rask tonight was right

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Re: Who ever called for Rask tonight was right

Agreed. Rask needs more starts. But TT did fine tonight until the shootout!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Surprised that Rask did not play one of the  back to back games in Florida.. results not withstanding TT did a great job, but 3 games now in 4 nights ... TT looked a little spent in the shootout.. the dreaded 5 hole opened up... and a tell tale sign TT did not get mad at letting in any of the goals..Usually he would fly off the handle..

Rask would not have guarranteed a win  by starting tonite.. TT did fine , the Bruins played great, but Pavelec was outstanding.. what did he stop 50 shots?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Rask should have started the last game for rest for TT if he was going to start.

Though TT is still playing awesome, no fault on either goal other than his superman vision could not pick up the puck thru the screens.

I would say that TT would start every game the rest of season if it was up to him, and how do you sit a player that continues to win and put up the numbers, his winning % would have them at 57 points playing same amount of games as Pit.

They play 3 in 4 nights twice in back to back weeks and 7games in 11 nights in Jan.    Rask will get his starts in Jan and he need to be hot, Pit, Car and Buf all twice with Col LA Phi also in the mix.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Rask has been nothing short of mediocre in his starts. He's been bad enough that I completely understand Julien's fear to use him. He looks like a defeated goalie, and take a good look at the starts...not so much the stats, but the way he coughs up goals moments after the B's score for him. That's the telltale sign of a goalie who isn't helping his team out. Look, it's hard to get consistent with little playing time, and it's hard to see a younger, talented goalie go through recently what Rask is going through, but until he steps up to the plate to steal a game (he hasn't stolen anything this year, the one shutout? maybe 1 game). He lacks confidence. You have to want to play, and Rask has no sense of urgency in his play. Thomas has flopped a bit lately, and maybe he is tired. He played weak in the Tampa win, but he was good enough v. Atlanta and the only reason the B's didn't win was they were stonewalled by Pavelic.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowcpt. Show Shadowcpt's posts

Rask should have played and needs to play every fourth to fifth game. While his performance has yet to reach the level of last years, he is a very capable goaltender. His save % is .927 (last year, best in the league at .931) but his GAA is mediocre at 2.57. He has kept the Bruins in several of games he has played and has stolen one game; November 15 shutout v. Florida (1-0, 41 saves) by effectively benching a talented goaltender, CJ risks ruining his confidence. There is no question that Tim Thomas has been spectacular in most of his starts thus far, but he is 35 years old and if CJ wants him to hold up for the duration of the season, he will need to play Rask more. At some point, he's going to have to let him play a couple of games back to back. He had a heck of a regular season last year and is the Bruins goaltender of the future. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

One of those games where halfway through I said to myself "they're outplaying these guys and deserve to win....but it'll go OT & they'll probably lose in the SO..."

exactly what happened. B's were the better team & I'm just glad Pavlec didn't find his game earlier than he did (the first 2 he let in were softies. B's coulda lost this one 2-0 and still been the better team on the ice.)

I also wish Rask would have started--not b/c of anything TT did wrong, but they are wearing him down w/all these starts AND Rask is growing freaking cobwebs sitting around! It's hardly fair to expect him to come in and be lights out when he starts once every 7 or 8 games....he needs to sharpen his game and TT needs rest. (Agree Thomas only looked bad in the SO.)

I'm a little concerned about how a game like this will affect the rest of the road trip (i.e...guys thinking "all that effort and we just come away w/a point"), and maybe they won;t play as hard....but that's probably not the attitude in the locker room...If the B's play the same way these next 2 games they SHOULD come away w/4 more points...but I better see Rask in at least one of those next two!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Another Claude mistake in game preparation. Rask should have started. Claude is too cautious and will cause Rask to be crucufied whenever he does start. That is not good leadership. Timmy could not see the pucks because Timmy could not move as well as he has because he is overworked. Rask has been mediocre on only 2 of the goals he allowed this year, but he is so stale, that he cannot possibly play well whenever Cod puts him in. Rask needs some work and Timmy needs some rest.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

CJ can't handle the management of his goal tenders. That's one of his biggest flaws. Thomas is slowly getting burned out and last night could have been a 2-0 win if Rask would have got the start. TT has let more 5 hole goals in of late than any other and we all know the 5 hole is his weak spot. TT had a great start to this year but Rask will have a big part in the rest of the season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I have said this before, but the problem with Rask play, and rask record is rask has played like the team in front of him..

The team comes out flat, finds themselves in a 2-0 hole, and they start to push back, but are coming up short, or, the converse is they come out well and fall flat in the end..
    Thomas has kept the team tied at 0 in these instances, or has turned away 25 shots in the third period when the team has fallen flat.  Rask numbers are fine, but with the way the team has played he hasnt been good enough..

That said, the team looks to have leveled out the past 3-4 games, the effort was there last night.  I would like to see rask get some more starts in front of a team playing more consistant and see how he fairs.. There is a decent chance he is injured and the team is not sharing the status, we know this happened last season and thomas made 8? straight starts (while also hurt) because the team had no other options..

JWB, your statement is clearly as a rask fan, thomas did not cost the team that game last night.  He again saved over 95% giving up 2 goals on the PP.. Rask has not outplayed thomas at all, so the thought that he would have put up a 32 save shut out when thomas didnt is just ignorant..Thomas has stolen this team more then enough games he played good enough to win last night, but not great enough to steal the victory from ATL.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Thomas looked good to me.  Yeah, they lost, but it wasn't because the goaltender had a bad game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

The way CJ is handling this? He had two great options. Now, he's going to end up with NONE! One is going to be too tired & the other one isn't going to be able to find a groove! You don't use your starter 3 times in 4 nights! CJ is an idiot!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dickfromeastham. Show dickfromeastham's posts

I thought Tim wasn't a game saver last night ,Rask could have done a better job
     Tim said he was tired after the FLA&TB games  Obviously he looked like it  in the shootout.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I'm not blaming TT on the 1st SO goal. I thought the shot off the post in the SO was a great shot. One that could've gone either way.

The five-hole goal? As a goalie your stick is always supposed to be in the middle. When a player makes you move from one side or the other & forces you to open up, that's a little bit different.

Coming straight down & shooting it in. Bad goal everytime. I realize that both goals he allowed changed direction on the way in. But, both times his stick wasn't in the position it should've been. I thought considering that it was the B's 3rd game in 4 nites they played very well.

TT needs a rest! As for saying Rask could've done a better job? You can't talk in absolutes. However, we can say that TT could've done a better job because we've seen it numerous times this season.

I'm beginning to think that either Cam, or PC or Both had a talk with CJ. So, if the talk was to tell him that the team better start playing better & winning more, or else! If that did take place? Then CJ's hands are tied. He has the best goalie in the league at his expense. If my bosses were on me, I'd take the option of using my best too. So where I called him an idiot earlier? I'll retract that statement after thinking about it more.

In the past whenever the B's played 3 in 4. CJ would always give both goalie's a start. He didn't, so one has to wonder why he didn't this time.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Who ever called for Rask tonight was right:
    [QUOTE]I'm not blaming TT on the 1st SO goal. I thought the shot off the post in the SO was a great shot. One that could've gone either way. The five-hole goal? As a goalie your stick is always supposed to be in the middle. When a player makes you move from one side or the other & forces you to open up, that's a little bit different. Coming straight down & shooting it in. Bad goal everytime. I realize that both goals he allowed changed direction on the way in. But, both times his stick wasn't in the position it should've been. I thought considering that it was the B's 3rd game in 4 nites they played very well. TT needs a rest! As for saying Rask could've done a better job? You can't talk in absolutes. However, we can say that TT could've done a better job because we've seen it numerous times this season. I'm beginning to think that either Cam, or PC or Both had a talk with CJ. So, if the talk was to tell him that the team better start playing better & winning more, or else! If that did take place? Then CJ's hands are tied. He has the best goalie in the league at his expense. If my bosses were on me, I'd take the option of using my best too. So where I called him an idiot earlier? I'll retract that statement after thinking about it more. In the past whenever the B's played 3 in 4. CJ would always give both goalie's a start. He didn't, so one has to wonder why he didn't this time.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

Thomas let up two goals through three periods and OT.  I think he's fine.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]One of those games where halfway through I said to myself "they're outplaying these guys and deserve to win....but it'll go OT & they'll probably lose in the SO..." exactly what happened. B's were the better team & I'm just glad Pavlec didn't find his game earlier than he did (the first 2 he let in were softies. B's coulda lost this one 2-0 and still been the better team on the ice.) I also wish Rask would have started--not b/c of anything TT did wrong, but they are wearing him down w/all these starts AND Rask is growing freaking cobwebs sitting around! It's hardly fair to expect him to come in and be lights out when he starts once every 7 or 8 games....he needs to sharpen his game and TT needs rest. (Agree Thomas only looked bad in the SO.) I'm a little concerned about how a game like this will affect the rest of the road trip (i.e...guys thinking "all that effort and we just come away w/a point"), and maybe they won;t play as hard....but that's probably not the attitude in the locker room...If the B's play the same way these next 2 games they SHOULD come away w/4 more points...but I better see Rask in at least one of those next two!
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]
    You must feel like the Bruins are playing more like a contender lately.At least the points are starting to pile up and,if nothing else,it seems the effort is becoming more consistent.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

NAS? It's not always how many saves you make. It's the type you allow. The B's played a decent game last nite. You know I'm one of TT's biggest supporters, but I'm saying 4, 5 or 6 games ago, at least one of those goals don't go in! TT's style is a different one than most. No matter what sytle you play though. Your stick is supposed to be in the same position. You drop to your knees the stick covers along the ice between the legs. It's not supposed to be up to the top of your pad, or off to one side.

TT got out played last nite. I love TT & think he's the best. However, that doesn't make him faultless. He makes mistakes like any other player & all 3 of those goals that beat him 5 hole were stoppable. Take a look where his stick is.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

It's laughable that in a game where the B's gave up just 2 goals that this discussion even takes place. Thomas must be the only 1.70 Vezina-winning goalie who is ripped for taking the team to 2-2 shootout....bunch of moronic fans out here on this forum. Rask! Rask! Rask!! Good, he plays v. Buffalo, and you're damn right that I'm putting him under a microscope. If he comes out gives up 2 in the 1st period, I want the Rask crowd here to own up to the fact that he isn't getting the job done. With that said, I hope he throws a shutout because this is about B's winning games. Goaltending is the main reason the B's are not a .500 team right now. Thomas' goaltending not Rask's.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I'm not ripping the guy, or the team. I'm saying using your starter for 7 straight games & playing 3 in 4 is too much. TT wasn't a difference maker last night. Pavelec was. I'm TT's biggest supporter, but I'm objective on the matter. He made some mistakes last nite. Not saying the guy is no longer the best. Just saying he wasn't his best last nite. There's a possibility that he needs a rest. It happens to all goalie's.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

nitemare, Thomas has been routinely ripped in this forum for a long, long time. Again, I like Rask, don't get me wrong about him. But it is about winning hockey games and it's becoming a factor when Rask plays that the team is not either playing well enough to win or he is not playing at a high enough level to help his team win. 2-7-1 is not playoff hockey goaltending. Rask will play v. Buffalo and maybe he will see more regular action (once every 5 or so) or maybe not. But I am totally backing Julien on his use of Thomas. He deserved, has deserved, and continues to deserve his 75-80 percent play time. Rask has to start playing better. It starts tonight.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who ever called for Rask tonight was right : You must feel like the Bruins are playing more like a contender lately.At least the points are starting to pile up and,if nothing else,it seems the effort is becoming more consistent.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Well, not a contender, no! I still feel they're quite a notch  below several teams in the East that will put them away in the playoffs (Phil, Pitt, Wash.) and then there are several others I feel they could take to a game 7 (Atl, NYR, Montreal) but then who knows? And the B's don't exactly have the best track record in deciding games.

I do feel they're putting a more consistent effort forth lately, for sure. I think they outplayed Atl. and deserved to win that game. I just want PC to take a risk and make some moves to make this team better b4 the playoffs so I don't feel like I'm waiting around for another 1st or 2nd round loss.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who ever called for Rask tonight was right : Well, not a contender, no! I still feel they're quite a notch  below several teams in the East that will put them away in the playoffs (Phil, Pitt, Wash.) and then there are several others I feel they could take to a game 7 (Atl, NYR, Montreal) but then who knows? And the B's don't exactly have the best track record in deciding games. I do feel they're putting a more consistent effort forth lately, for sure. I think they outplayed Atl. and deserved to win that game. I just want PC to take a risk and make some moves to make this team better b4 the playoffs so I don't feel like I'm waiting around for another 1st or 2nd round loss.
    What has Wash done against boston to lead you to believe they're so good?Atl had 1 good game against Boston and it was more a result of of the Bruins playing poorly than Atl playing well.Phil was also outplayed by Bos in the season series so I don't know what you 're basing your opinion on other than the fact Boston hasn't won it all since 72.That fact seems to be clouding your vision .Either that or you're just too stubborn to admit you've underestimated them.Either way,the overall standings and their record against all of these supposed better teams you've named backs up my theory that they are a contender in the East whether you and others are willing to admit it or not.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who ever called for Rask tonight was right : What has Wash done against boston to lead you to believe they're so good?Atl had 1 good game against Boston and it was more a result of of the Bruins playing poorly than Atl playing well.Phil was also outplayed by Bos in the season series so I don't know what you 're basing your opinion on other than the fact Boston hasn't won it all since 72.That fact seems to be clouding your vision .Either that or you're just too stubborn to admit you've underestimated them.Either way,the overall standings and their record against all of these supposed better teams you've named backs up my theory that they are a contender in the East whether you and others are willing to admit it or not.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I had a sneaky feeling you'd bring up the record B's have vs. Wash. this year as reason not to fear the Caps in playoffs! ;-)

What can I tell you, dez...I just feel that when it comes down to the nitty gritty of the playoffs the team w/more pure talent on its roster usually--not always--wins. Obviously there are exceptions or else the Caps wouldn't have bowed out to the Habs in round 1 last year...but what I'm basing my assessment on is an objective look at the rosters the Caps, Pens, and Philly have and saying "unless TT bricks up the net beyond expectation, those teams are simply going to bury the B's b/c they have more firepower up front, more overall depth talent, and better, faster-moving defensemen. In the cae of Philly, also more pure muscle that'll win out over 7 games v. the B's.

Could I be wrong? Could the B's beat those teams in a 7game series just b/c they've got a decent regular season record v. them so far? Well, sure, that's possible, but not probable. You've been watching hockey long enough to know the reg. season goes out the window when it turns to playoff time and in my mind the best-stocked, deepest, most balanced teams are the ones that go furthest (while that was not true of Wash. last year it was of Chicago).

Bottom line is this: I sincerely believe the B's still need another big-time winger who can score goals in bunches and at least one more guy from the blue line who can also add some offense (meantime I really like what I've seen of Kampfer).

But unless and until the B's get those pieces b4 the playoffs I just can't share your optimism no matter what the regular season records are.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who ever called for Rask tonight was right : I had a sneaky feeling you'd bring up the record B's have vs. Wash. this year as reason not to fear the Caps in playoffs! ;-) What can I tell you, dez...I just feel that when it comes down to the nitty gritty of the playoffs the team w/more pure talent on its roster usually--not always--wins. Obviously there are exceptions or else the Caps wouldn't have bowed out to the Habs in round 1 last year...but what I'm basing my assessment on is an objective look at the rosters the Caps, Pens, and Philly have and saying "unless TT bricks up the net beyond expectation, those teams are simply going to bury the B's b/c they have more firepower up front, more overall depth talent, and better, faster-moving defensemen. In the cae of Philly, also more pure muscle that'll win out over 7 games v. the B's. Could I be wrong? Could the B's beat those teams in a 7game series just b/c they've got a decent regular season record v. them so far? Well, sure, that's possible, but not probable. You've been watching hockey long enough to know the reg. season goes out the window when it turns to playoff time and in my mind the best-stocked, deepest, most balanced teams are the ones that go furthest (while that was not true of Wash. last year it was of Chicago). Bottom line is this: I sincerely believe the B's still need another big-time winger who can score goals in bunches and at least one more guy from the blue line who can also add some offense (meantime I really like what I've seen of Kampfer). But unless and until the B's get those pieces b4 the playoffs I just can't share your optimism no matter what the regular season records are.

I hear what your saying Try. Like in 1990 Harry went & got Propp & Poulin. Propp wasn't as big as Poulin was though.  Wasn't it Poulin who went out & scored 2 goals & assited on another against Hartford. They were down 5-2 going into the 3rd & "the Govenor" came out & did his play-off magic. Also, that game would've put the B's down 3-1 in the series too I believe.

Is that the kind of move you're talking about? Say a guy like a Patrick Sharp type. Not saying the B's could get him, but that's the kind of player you're hoping that PC brings in.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who ever called for Rask tonight was right : I had a sneaky feeling you'd bring up the record B's have vs. Wash. this year as reason not to fear the Caps in playoffs! ;-) What can I tell you, dez...I just feel that when it comes down to the nitty gritty of the playoffs the team w/more pure talent on its roster usually--not always--wins. Obviously there are exceptions or else the Caps wouldn't have bowed out to the Habs in round 1 last year...but what I'm basing my assessment on is an objective look at the rosters the Caps, Pens, and Philly have and saying "unless TT bricks up the net beyond expectation, those teams are simply going to bury the B's b/c they have more firepower up front, more overall depth talent, and better, faster-moving defensemen. In the cae of Philly, also more pure muscle that'll win out over 7 games v. the B's. Could I be wrong? Could the B's beat those teams in a 7game series just b/c they've got a decent regular season record v. them so far? Well, sure, that's possible, but not probable. You've been watching hockey long enough to know the reg. season goes out the window when it turns to playoff time and in my mind the best-stocked, deepest, most balanced teams are the ones that go furthest (while that was not true of Wash. last year it was of Chicago). Bottom line is this: I sincerely believe the B's still need another big-time winger who can score goals in bunches and at least one more guy from the blue line who can also add some offense (meantime I really like what I've seen of Kampfer). But unless and until the B's get those pieces b4 the playoffs I just can't share your optimism no matter what the regular season records are.
    Believe me TTBI, I'm not opposed to a deal that would improve the team.I just don't feel it's an absolute necessity.Let's just hope the effort continues as we both know that's where it all starts.HNY!

Sections
Shortcuts