Who gets the Hall call on Monday?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Who gets the Hall call on Monday?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=100680" rel="nofollow">http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=100680

I'm thinking Forsberg,Hasek and Modano.

The most interesting one to me is Lindros. Been eligible for 4 years now, and I can't help but think of Neely when I think of Lindros and his chances. Neely was more of a pioneer in a sense, but Lindros was pretty dominant.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Who gets the Hall call on Monday?

Can't go wrong with those three.

Lindros did win a Hart, no? That alone should get him some votes. Being voted most valuable player in the league is nothing to sneeze at.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

As a dominating hockey player, Lindros should be in the consideration.  As a hockey story, he's a first ballot player.  From 1990 to 200?, Lindros was a constant story in the NHL.  To keep him out of the Hall is dumb.

I know Forsberg was awesome, but I always have discounted him in my mind. Maybe it's because I hold Sakic's play in such high regard, I don't know.  

Hasek and Modano, no question.

And don't forget, they need to put people from Chick Stick 'n Puck in also.

I think they should add a few other categories:

1.  Zamboni drivers.  Hey, some are better than others!

2.  Goal judges.  Mickey McGuin was the fastest on that light ever.

3.  PA Announcers:  The guy in Washington makes the names sooo much fun!

4.  Music selectors:  Knowing your crowd can make or break the fun at a game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Mogilny, hasek, steve Larmer, Pat Burns

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 & 3 more Cups by 2020

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=100680" rel="nofollow">http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=100680" rel="nofollow">http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=100680

I'm thinking Forsberg,Hasek and Modano.

The most interesting one to me is Lindros. Been eligible for 4 years now, and I can't help but think of Neely when I think of Lindros and his chances. Neely was more of a pioneer in a sense, but Lindros was pretty dominant.

[/QUOTE]

Neely never refused to play for teams because the places were French speaking. What he did to the Sault & Nords was wrong. He refused to go. I hope the Hall refuses him. The one person I hope makes it in is Patty Burns! Hasek & Modano are no brainers. Cassie Campbell may get a nod & she should.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Neely never refused to play for teams because the places were French speaking. What he did to the Sault & Nords was wrong. He refused to go. I hope the Hall refuses him. The one person I hope makes it in is Patty Burns! Hasek & Modano are no brainers. Cassie Campbell may get a nod & she should.

[/QUOTE]

Lindros told the Nordiques not to draft him and they called his bluff.   I can't blame him.  21 cities to go to, I wouldn't want to have to live in the only one that doesn't speak my language. 

Let's take a look at games played, goals assists, points and penalty minutes

708 249-636-885 690

760 372-493-865 1398

One cut short due to concussions, the other due to various injuries.  How is one guy a surefire first ballot HOFer while the other guy is waiting by the phone, waiting for you to call him up and tell him he's not alone?

If Forsberg gets in and Lindros does not, the voting members need to go F themselves.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Surprising to see Mike Modano did not win one individual award in his career. 

Great player !

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Not sure how you could build a case against Forsberg, Lindros, or Hasek.  It seems easy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[QUOTE]

Lindros told the Nordiques not to draft him and they called his bluff.   I can't blame him.  21 cities to go to, I wouldn't want to have to live in the only one that doesn't speak my language. 

Let's take a look at games played, goals assists, points and penalty minutes

708 249-636-885 690

760 372-493-865 1398

One cut short due to concussions, the other due to various injuries.  How is one guy a surefire first ballot HOFer while the other guy is waiting by the phone, waiting for you to call him up and tell him he's not alone?

If Forsberg gets in and Lindros does not, the voting members need to go F themselves.

[/QUOTE]

One of the biggest loads of Kief to ever come out of your keyboard. Who the fawk did Lindros think he was to refuse to go to the Sault and Nordiques when up to that point 99% of all players drafted went to where they were drafted? This guy could've been a Daigle for all anyone knew. I don't care about his numbers. He and his father were Bigots! Joe Sakic had even less to do with French than Lindros did being raised in BC. He went as did all the Stastny's and Forsberg. Lindros was the biggest fawking baby and it showed his character. I hope he's black balled forever! No player is bigger than the game. It's Eric and his old man that needs to go "F themselves"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

As a dominating hockey player, Lindros should be in the consideration.  As a hockey story, he's a first ballot player.  From 1990 to 200?, Lindros was a constant story in the NHL.  To keep him out of the Hall is dumb.

I know Forsberg was awesome, but I always have discounted him in my mind. Maybe it's because I hold Sakic's play in such high regard, I don't know.  

Hasek and Modano, no question.

And don't forget, they need to put people from Chick Stick 'n Puck in also.

I think they should add a few other categories:

1.  Zamboni drivers.  Hey, some are better than others!

2.  Goal judges.  Mickey McGuin was the fastest on that light ever.

3.  PA Announcers:  The guy in Washington makes the names sooo much fun!

4.  Music selectors:  Knowing your crowd can make or break the fun at a game.

John Kiley on the old Boston Garden Spinet Organ is surely a first ballot slam-dunk.

Seriously, I think all 3 mentioned in original post are worthy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not sure how you could build a case against Forsberg, Lindros, or Hasek.  It seems easy.

[/QUOTE]

Housley, Blake, Anderchuk & Mark Recchi should all get in at some point. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I thought I posted something on the Neely/Lindros comparison, but I guess it didn't stick.

New version then, including Forsberg this time: Every Hall has its set measuring sticks, and if you don't tick off a few of them, no matter what your overall career looks like, your case is weakened significantly.  In hockey, and for forwards: 50 goals.  100 points.  500 goals.  1000 points.  Major Awards and Year End All Star selections.

Each of these guys would have been easy locks if not for injuries.  Neely's goals/game is tenth highest in league history (though who knows if he'd played out his career how far that might have fallen as he aged).  His 50 in 44 is unlikely to be matched any time soon, so he'll be second to Gretzky in that regard probably for as long as I live.  He had 3 50 goal years and was the second team AS at RW four times.  Add that to his rep as THE power forward wing of his generation and he's a lock.  What helps him here is that the injuries that ended his run prematurely really impacted the end of his career, not season by season over time.  He played 69 or more games for 7 straight years, so he had big seasons and hit the big marks.  He didn't last to get the 500 goals or 1000 assists, but because of the big seasons, it's easy to imagine him getting there.

Lindros gets killed under those criteria.  He only played more than 65 games twice the entire time he was in Philly.  He only topped 80 points 3 times, over 100 once, and he never hit 50 goals.  He missed those season marks and probably more individual hardware because of yearly injuries.  The year he had 115 points, he only played 73 games.  He ended with 47 goals that year.  Two other years, he was on pace for 124 points and 50+ goals but only played 46 and 52 games.  The first of those years, he would have missed the Art Ross by 6 points to Gretzky and he would have outscored the eventual Hart winner, Fedorov.  The second of those years, 124 would have given him the Art Ross and a good shot at the Hart (Hasek won that year, so who knows...).  If he's healthy those years alone, the additional points would have gotten him close to 1000 for his career.  Moral of the story - better to miss whole years than parts of every year if you want your legacy to show you dominated the league.

Forsberg actually doesn't fare as well against Lindros as Neely does.  Two 100pt seasons, with two others where he missed 10 games or so and would likely have made the 100 threshold if he had - but doing so wouldn't have won him additional hardware.  He wins in major trophies because he won the Calder.  Lindros, you'll recall, lost the Calder to some Finnish rookie who scored 76 goals.  Forsberg would have lost to Selanne, too.  In terms of perceived dominance, Forsberg was the first team AS C three times, and in two of those years, he beat Lindros for the honor (Lindros played 63 and 71 games those years; Forsberg 72 and 78).  But the biggest stick in Forsberg's bag is the 2 Stanley Cups.  1.31 points/game in the playoffs for Forsberg, even if Sakic and Roy took home the  Smythe.  1.075 and no Cups, significantly, for Lindros.  Neely also 0 Cups (if you had forgotten) and almost a perfect 1 point/game (exclude his one-legged final playoff appearance).

All in all, it doesn't take much to look at what Lindros did accomplish and show that only a truly dominant player, even hampered by injuries, could have done what he did over his 8 years in Philly and his first year with the Rangers.  But when you look at the list of players who are eligible, and the limits on how many guys can go in in a year, it must be pretty easy to fall back on Lindros never quite actually hitting those yardsticks when other guys did.

Are you not entertained?!?!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

If Clarke Gillies can get into the Hall of fame with 663 pts,surely Lindros can get in with his stat line,Hart trophy,Canada Cup appearance as an 18 yr old and dominant play in the NHL for the majority of his career.Taking into account that he hurt the people of Quebec's feelings should not be relevant. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Clarke Gillies can get into the Hall of fame with 663 pts,surely Lindros can get in with his stat line,Hart trophy,Canada Cup appearance as an 18 yr old and dominant play in the NHL for the majority of his career.Taking into account that he hurt the people of Quebec's feelings should not be relevant. 

[/QUOTE]

Another BS remark. It had NOTHING to do with hurt feelings here at all. It was was the whole principle of the matter being that "I'm holier than now & I don't have to abide by the tradition & the rules!" It wasn't that he just did it to the Nords. He did before to the Sault as well. He never played a single JR game & demanded a trade & got his wish by going to Oshawa then he does it to the NHL as well. Even if he would've at least made an effort at either of these cities I may have a different take. He was a gutless terd! WAH I can't speak the language I'm not playing  there!" Fawk that! He was an absolute joke as a man! And Karma's was a bit ch to him. Unfortunately the karma affected his brother too. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

Another BS remark. 

You're taking this way too personal Nite, your personal dislike for the guy and his snub of Quebec & the Nordiques notwithstanding,his merits for the hall should be about his play on the ice and not his,as you put it,"holier than thou" attitude .Lindros should be in.I'm sure that if you look back at all of the HOF inductee's, there are some that are of questionable character.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Lots of guys don't play for the team that drafted them for many reasons.  Locally, we had Trent Whitfield refuse to sign and then ended up on the Caps.  In return, the B's took Nick Boynton two years after he refused to sign with Washington.  Blake Wheeler refused Phoenix and ended up signing in Boston.

It happens more often than people remember.

Lindros was hockey in the mid to late 90s.  He was a force, a beast on skates.  6'4, 240lbs, score, pass, fight.  His petulance aside, the guy was amazing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

Lindros was hockey in the mid to late 90s.  He was a force, a beast on skates.  6'4, 240lbs, score, pass, fight.  His petulance aside, the guy was amazing.

[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

It's Dominik Hasek, Peter Forsberg, Mike Modano and Rob Blake. So sorry Lindros. Maybe it's payback for being a dink your whole life.

Pat Burns too.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

Lots of guys don't play for the team that drafted them for many reasons.  Locally, we had Trent Whitfield refuse to sign and then ended up on the Caps.  In return, the B's took Nick Boynton two years after he refused to sign with Washington.  Blake Wheeler refused Phoenix and ended up signing in Boston.

It happens more often than people remember.

[/QUOTE]

Those players were dickheads too! It's becoming the norm for the babies to do this to teams. Being drafted is a privilege not a right! You have no rights in any fawking league until u get it and prove yourself! No player is better than an organization and any player who disses a team that drafts them doesn't deserve to play! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

Those players were dickheads too! It's becoming the norm for the babies to do this to teams. Being drafted is a privilege not a right! You have no rights in any fawking league until u get it and prove yourself! No player is better than an organization and any player who disses a team that drafts them doesn't deserve to play! 

[/QUOTE]

Mario Lemieux didn't go on stage when the Penguins made him first overall and didn't put on their jersey,they finally kissed his asz enough that he relented,players at a young age get pretty big ego's from pee wee on,its just a fact.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I probably undervalue him for a lot of reasons, but the biggest one is that he was the "heir apparent," the "Next One" after Gretzky and Lemieux.  Same press, same fawning over how a guy so big and so physical could also be so skilled as Shaquille O'Neal.  Put in that light, the average HoF career might look a little dull.

Lindros's rookie year, he had 41 goals and 75 points in 61 games - and couldn't touch Selanne's 76 goals and 132 points.  Lemieux more than doubled his point total with 160 and he only played 60 games.  Lafontaine almost doubled his output at 148 points.  5 players that year had 60+ goals.  We had forgotten how good a 50 goal season really is, let alone 60.

His second year, he was 33 points behind Gretzky.  Pavel Bure had 60 goals.

His third year, he was three goals away from the Art Ross (tied in points), but because it was a strike/lockout shortened year, it gets blown off because the numbers look pedestrian.

His fourth year was his best - he was sixth overall and had 115 points, but finished 22 goals and 45 points behind Lemieux and 13 goals and 34 points behind Jagr.

After that, we get into the dead puck era of the trap trap trap trap.  Few 50 goal years, few 100 point seasons, a couple of Art Ross winners with fewer than 100 points etc.  All of which provides context, but doesn't make Lindros's legacy look anything like a Next Gretzky or Lemieux.  He never finished higher than 6th in scoring after tying Jagr in points for the Ross.

Are you not entertained?!?!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Book - I'm with you on this. But I think he's close. Had the dink simply had a couple more seasons (or more likely, partial seasons) in the middle of his career, even just as a top 10 points guy he is probably in the HOF today.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

nite, you old romantic...this is nice but it isn't true in the business of sport.  They made a player's labour a commodity a very long time ago by making him "tradeable" like pork bellies.  If the player is in possession of that commodity, he can refuse to provide it (and not get paid) at any time.  If Quebec had wanted to prove a point, they could have sat on Lindros for two years - and then he would have gone back into the draft unsigned because that's what the NHLPA negotiated.  Some point.  They got the most they could for that first round pick - a HoF calibre C, plus a goalie and picks and prospects....  Not a bad haul.  Philly got a defining player for almost a decade - too bad the definition turned out to be what it was.

As fans, we want the mechanisms of competitive balance to work universally, but it just doesn't work when the players aren't slaves.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Book - I'm with you on this. But I think he's close. Had the dink simply had a couple more seasons (or more likely, partial seasons) in the middle of his career, even just as a top 10 points guy he is probably in the HOF today.

[/QUOTE]

And if ifs and buts were candies and nuts, we'd all have a merry christmas....  He'll get there eventually, I think.  But then I think Pete Rose gets in...eventually...posthumously.
    [object HTMLDivElement]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

nite, you old romantic...this is nice but it isn't true in the business of sport. [/QUOTE]

Exactly,in the old NHL,players that were born and raised in Quebec dreamed of playing their whole career for the Montreal Canadiens,now most Quebec born players would rather play in anonymity in some US market and get paid the big bucks.It seems the only Quebec born players that willingly sign there as free agents,are generally players on their last legs,Danny Briere being the latest example. 

Sections
Shortcuts