Who is right? Me or NAS?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LB34. Show LB34's posts

Re: Who is right? Me or NAS?

I agree with NAS. I am content with the cup and willing to deal with the struggles without losing my cool.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

In Response to Re: Who is right? Me or NAS?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is right? Me or NAS? : Kel, I read a Bergeron interview in which he said last year's win only made him want to win even more this year. I suspect most guys feel that way but it's much easier said than done. To answer your question, I really want to see another win this year but I don't feel like this team will owe me anything if they're unable to pull it off.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Dont get me wrong, I love Bergeron, but I think the "makes me want to win it every year" can become a canned cliche. I dont know the guy, but I suspect that in all probability thats not the case in Bergy's instance.

From the PLAYERS perspective, though, for some having reached the top of their athletic profession winning the Cup might be like Joe blow winning a $1,000,000 on a scratch ticket...and the next season like not getting very disappointed if you don't win the jackpot every time you scratch one. Bad analogy maybe.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is right? Me or NAS? : Dont get me wrong, I love Bergeron, but I think the "makes me want to win it every year" can become a canned cliche. I dont know the guy, but I suspect that in all probability thats not the case in Bergy's instance. From the PLAYERS perspective, though, for some having reached the top of their athletic profession winning the Cup might be like Joe blow winning a $1,000,000 on a scratch ticket...and the next season like not getting very disappointed if you don't win the jackpot every time you scratch one. Bad analogy maybe.
    Posted by Sportsnutty[/QUOTE]
    Nutty, I think guys like Bergeron, Marchand and Lucic that have won at almost every level can be counted on when it comes to backing up their words. Bergeron especially doesn't strike me as someone that's easily satisfied with his performance. He'll work hard because that's what he does.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]Kel, I hate to do it, and Im not going to say that one of you is "right" and the other is "wrong", but in this case I am personally completely going to agree with NAS. I spent my whole life living and dying with each Red Sox failure.  I have to say that in 2004, at the age of 48, that World Series win literally changed my life.  They could have not won another game for 5 years an it wouldnt have hurt my feelings.  When they won in 2007, it was enjoyable, but it was just a normal case of a fan's team winning.  Zero emotional turmoil as in 1967-2004. Same thing with the Bruins.  When I tape recorded the 2 Bruins' Cup wins in 1970 and 1972 as a little kid, little did I know Id wait 39 more tries before another.  I took a lot of abuse for my emotional reactions to Thomas in recent years, and most of it was my burning desire for the B's to win a Cup, and I didnt think he was The Guy.  Clearly, I was wrong. I didnt think in a million years that 2011 B's team had a shot, especially after Game 2 in the playoffs.  After that team pulled off that flat-out-miracle... and that's exactly what it was... it changed EVERYTHING for me.  I am now happy... relaxed... and nothing can bother me.  Id like the Bs to win another, but if they do it wont be anthying remotely like it was before.  If they stink for the next 3 years, it just wont make me crazy any more. In a funny confluence of events, I would have been suicidal after the Sox 2011 September  pre-2004, and a lot more upset even since... except that after the B's won the Cup, even a mind-boggling historic choke barely registered with me this year.  I wrote it off as "we used up all the Boston sports luck in June." I get annoyed when they stink like they have this year, especially when they look like they did against the Habs, but its just not the same. It never will be.  Sorry.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

Great post Sox,

I was the same way after the Sox won but I havent been like that with the B's, and with the Pats...Not sure how that works.

Hey I feel the same way about the sox, but you know what, and anyone i say this to looks at me weird, but they'll be more popular because of it. After they won that second title, they werent as popular, crazy at it sounds.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

[QUOTE]Kel, I hate to do it, and Im not going to say that one of you is "right" and the other is "wrong", but in this case I am personally completely going to agree with NAS. I spent my whole life living and dying with each Red Sox failure.  I have to say that in 2004, at the age of 48, that World Series win literally changed my life.  They could have not won another game for 5 years an it wouldnt have hurt my feelings.  When they won in 2007, it was enjoyable, but it was just a normal case of a fan's team winning.  Zero emotional turmoil as in 1967-2004. Same thing with the Bruins.  When I tape recorded the 2 Bruins' Cup wins in 1970 and 1972 as a little kid, little did I know Id wait 39 more tries before another.  I took a lot of abuse for my emotional reactions to Thomas in recent years, and most of it was my burning desire for the B's to win a Cup, and I didnt think he was The Guy.  Clearly, I was wrong. I didnt think in a million years that 2011 B's team had a shot, especially after Game 2 in the playoffs.  After that team pulled off that flat-out-miracle... and that's exactly what it was... it changed EVERYTHING for me.  I am now happy... relaxed... and nothing can bother me.  Id like the Bs to win another, but if they do it wont be anthying remotely like it was before.  If they stink for the next 3 years, it just wont make me crazy any more. In a funny confluence of events, I would have been suicidal after the Sox 2011 September  pre-2004, and a lot more upset even since... except that after the B's won the Cup, even a mind-boggling historic choke barely registered with me this year.  I wrote it off as "we used up all the Boston sports luck in June." I get annoyed when they stink like they have this year, especially when they look like they did against the Habs, but its just not the same. It never will be.  Sorry.

I'm with you Sox Fan on the Bruins. I'm a relaxed sports fan after last season's run, which I didn't initially think was going to happen. Granted I don't want the Bruins to go into Leafs mode for the next several years but I've been relieved.

On the Sox, we disagree. Though my yankees got bounced in the first round (yes, diehard Yankees and Bruins fan), there was something exceedingly pleasing about watching the Red Sox crumble in the worst way possible. Beer, fried chicken and videogames for everyone!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is right? Me or NAS? : Great post Sox, I was the same way after the Sox won but I havent been like that with the B's, and with the Pats...Not sure how that works. Hey I feel the same way about the sox, but you know what, and anyone i say this to looks at me weird, but they'll be more popular because of it. After they won that second title, they werent as popular, crazy at it sounds.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

I kinda agree on what you are saying, but I wouldnt say the Sox werent as "popular"-  Id say they werent as... uh, "interesting?''  There's way more focus after a terribble loss.  Remember the incredible attention here on the B's after their Philly meltdown?  You would have thought people would jump off the bandwagon- instead the attention was ll on the B's.

Yet this year, it seems the comments are fewer?    True x's 2 with Red Sox fans.  The attention the Sox garner after their terrible September is enormous.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlazeTrailer. Show BlazeTrailer's posts

This comment should go over well this week, but I am also a Steelers fan. Patriots fans should understand what I am saying when I say I enjoy a team that is in the discussion when contenders are listed each year. I don't want one championship and then semi-obscurity. I want to be near the top every year so that a couple of those years turn into championships.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]This comment should go over well this week, but I am also a Steelers fan. Patriots fans should understand what I am saying when I say I enjoy a team that is in the discussion when contenders are listed each year. I don't want one championship and then semi-obscurity. I want to be near the top every year so that a couple of those years turn into championships.
    Posted by BlazeTrailer[/QUOTE]
    Exactly Blaze. Ask the Sens what can happen when you roll the dice and come up short. It wasn't that long ago that they were a threat to win it all. Most teams find themselves with a very small window of opportunity. PC seems to have set Boston up with a good sized picture window, regardless of what the doomsayers have to say after a 3-6 start.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

To me, it's a huge disappointment after celebrating so much the end of last season. Actually, despite the achievement, I'm feeling a bit embarrassed that the B's could start so poorly after winning a cup just a few short months ago. Would rather not see them set some new history.....on the flip side of winning a cup.

Count me in with the Die Hards on this board..........but this is VERY painful to watch. I hope the tide turns soon.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

A home and home loss to the Habs and the pendulum starts to swing...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]A home and home loss to the Habs and the pendulum starts to swing...
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    Kel, I guess it wasn't just me who had problems with the site last night? Anyways, it was another loss that's hard to justify. They can't afford to spot anyone 3 goals and, as weak as I felt some of the calls were, the guys have to know better than to give the refs the opportunity. I hope Ference and Lucic are as upset as I am that they allowed PK to goad them in multiple times. Seeing them scratch back to within 1 was almost more frustrating than if they'd lost 3-0. Too often this season,we've seen Boston wait until the final 20 before stepping up their play. Being shorthanded for 25% of the first 2 periods didn't help with momentum but they knew what they were up against.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

NAS has the right (and healthier) outlook, and I basically agree w/his position, esp. as a long time fan who was starting to believe they'd never win the Cup in my lifetime.

The only thing that would really p*ss me off is if they don't make the playoffs...and the way they're playing right now.......

well....even for a natural pessimist it's a tad early to say that's gonna be the outcome. Let's hope for a better November!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]NAS has the right (and healthier) outlook, and I basically agree w/his position, esp. as a long time fan who was starting to believe they'd never win the Cup in my lifetime. The only thing that would really p*ss me off is if they don't make the playoffs...and the way they're playing right now....... well....even for a natural pessimist it's a tad early to say that's gonna be the outcome. Let's hope for a better November!
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

This is not what I'm asking...Take their bad start out of it, it has nothing to do with it, I'm not asking why people arent as upset about the start, i would have posted this if they were 10-0. Ever since the season has started I've heard, people say they don't care what happens to them this year, we got a cup etc...My point is, hey I'm happy as anyone they won a cup, but this is a new year, I'm still going to root for them to win, I still want them to win. a cup hasnt wavered that..of course i wont be as fustrated if they lose, but while i'm watching the game, i want them to win...I heard one guy say he hasnt gotten into them yet this year, he got his cup and thats all he wanted....Thats what i'm asking....My passion or interest for them hasnt declined, for some people it has and that suprises me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

We have a hockey team in Boston to attempt to win Stanely Cups. Every time the get on the ice. I am very proud of all our boys but it is a new season. The zamboni has resurfaced the ice. They painted their dressing room to focus on the new year. It was a short summer and that hurts. But it is time to play hockey. The fans support them they buy tickets and watch games at any cost. This is hard for young players to change the page. Recchi gone has been hard. Don't think that does not have anything to do with this. Now you can throw me under the bus boys.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rusco. Show rusco's posts

tyhe sox didnt win again til 07, so I am not going to go all mental this year! HELL they won the cup. give em a break!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is right? Me or NAS? : I had a horrible time with the site last night.  I finally game up.  Guess it wasn't just me. They really did feel like they had a chance to get back in the game several times late, but couldnt get their heads on straight. On a side note, did any of you guys have to watch the game on CBC?  I couldnt watch the NESN feed because it was the game carried on the NHL Network, so the NESN feed was blacked out.  Cassie Campbell's grating attempts at color and the overall Montreal fawning for 2 games was excruciating.

Glad someone else thinks so.  She's brutal.  This is the CBC's attempt to emulate American sports broadcast use of female reporters.  If I were to compare just the depth of knowledge of the events they're covering shown by such personalities as Susie Kolver, Pam Oliver and Andrea Kramer, whom I think closely resembles Edie Falco, Campbell isn't in their universe.  I think Christine Simpson does a better job.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is right? Me or NAS? : Kel, I guess it wasn't just me who had problems with the site last night? Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I had a horrible time with the site last night.  I finally game up.  Guess it wasn't just me.

They really did feel like they had a chance to get back in the game several times late, but couldnt get their heads on straight.

On a side note, did any of you guys have to watch the game on CBC?  I couldnt watch the NESN feed because it was the game carried on the NHL Network, so the NESN feed was blacked out.  Cassie Campbell's grating attempts at color and the overall Montreal fawning for 2 games was excruciating.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Any position which sees the Bruins garbage recent form as acceptable is wrong. Sure we all love the organisation and this cast of Cup winners but I'm baffled at the compacency here in the face of the bloody obvious.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Same here SoxFan it was to the point of intolerable. It also made it even worse to watch us embarrass ourselves in Montreal. No more late pushes. Get the puck in the net early.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

NAS is right until the Bruins start the playoffs or miss them. As long as they're in the top 8 come mid-April, I don't really care about the standings, especially if the young guys show improvement. If they miss the playoffs, then next year I'll be much more critical of the team and far more eager to see the season start.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I n Response to Re: Who is right? Me or NAS?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is right? Me or NAS? : I had a horrible time with the site last night.  I finally game up.  Guess it wasn't just me. They really did feel like they had a chance to get back in the game several times late, but couldnt get their heads on straight. On a side note, did any of you guys have to watch the game on CBC?  I couldnt watch the NESN feed because it was the game carried on the NHL Network, so the NESN feed was blacked out.  Cassie Campbell's grating attempts at color and the overall Montreal fawning for 2 games was excruciating.

Couldnt agree more.  Sad thing is she knew more than her male counterpart.  Painful.
    Glad we lost our access in here last night.  It would have been a troll paradise

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is right? Me or NAS? : I haven't given up anything.  No matter how I approach it, they will play exactly the same.  I hope they win the Cup every year from now until the day I die.  I am presently still thrilled that they won the Cup A FEW MONTHS AGO.  I'm not going to lose my mind over some early season close loses.  I'm not going to start picking apart good players, suggesting trades or firings and I'm certainly not going to start threads about how terrible they played. I'm just going to watch the games and enjoy them. And that's okay.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    well...i can't believe i'm going to type this, but here goes... i am in total agreement with NAS.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is right? Me or NAS? :   This year, I'm still in the afterglow glory.  It's beautiful to see the Cup on all of the marketing, the posters, the banners, everything.  If they don't do so well this year, I am fine with that.  They gave me one. And therefore I'm a bandwagon fan.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

and maybe the players are fine with the slow start ....  result, only 1 regular time win.  I hope the Habs peed them off enough to get going otherwise I would hate to see some of the players they won this cup with being shipped out.and no I'm not jumping off the Tobin or any other bridge  .  Actually I'm not worried.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsIn4. Show BruinsIn4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is right? Me or NAS? : well...i can't believe i'm going to type this, but here goes... i am in total agreement with NAS.
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

I am in total agreement with NAS too - and I also can't believe it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Interesting thread that I've avoided so far, but lots of good discussion here.  I am probably somewhere in the middle between NAS and Kel as far as my reaction.  The way NAS described being a Bruins fans and finally seeing them win rings especially true for me.  I was born in '76 so I've followed them through the 80's, 90's, etc. and had never seen my favorite sports win it all until last June.  That was amazing and it has taken away so much of the angst of being a Bruins fan that I am a good deal more relaxed this year.  I also really do think
    they will turn it around, and making big changes would be a mistake.

That said, it has become a little frustrating to watch the past couple of games.  Losing to the Canadiens is never fun to watch, and it is worse when you are convinced that they are losing to a lesser team, as I am.  I agree with Dez that (although NHL refs shouldn't still be getting suckered by Subban) it is really frustrating to watch the stupid penalities.  Some Bruins players look very haughty and entitled to me, in that, they seem to think they are above getting hit, or slashed, or trash talked now that they are champions or whatever. 

Nathan Horton has stood out to me in taking stupid retaliatory penalties over trivial little things.  Obviously the Gleason penalties were brutal when the Bruins had just seized monemtum in the game.  Then the other night he cross checks Gill from behind, right in front of the ref for no good reason.  Instead of being mad at himself on the way to the box, he is still yelling at Gill for some reason.  It is selfish to take penalties settling your personal scores, and this Bruins team seems to be all about retaliation and personal grudges so far.  They don't seem focused on winning to me.

My patience is strong with this team after last year, but it would be nice to start to see 60 minutes of execution and effort.  I think the egos are riding a little high and someone (Julien, Neely?) needs to knock them down a peg to refocus.

Sections
Shortcuts