Who said what & what was said

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Who said what & what was said

Remember back during the 2010-11 season when Boston was beating the Habs late in the game 2-0. The Habs stormed back & won in O.T. This was (the movie goer's push on Chara). Now, I don't know if this was the same game that CJ also decided to scratch Seguin from the lineup. There was an interview was Mazz & ??? with Cam & anyone who heard it could tell he was pissed off about the decision. At that time CJ was a totally different coach, He wouldn't use his timeouts, he played the 4th line in a 1 goal game with 2 minutes left. And he rarely adjusted on the fly during a game. 

Now, we all know CJ by now & he's pretty set in his ways. When he believes in something he sticks with it. So, I'm wondering if Neely had a talk with Peter & he had a talk with Claude. Or did Neely talk to both of them? Or, did CJ just change on his own accord?

This team at times in the past seemed so robotic and just seemed they had no emotion & were content on just "playing the system". Something happened along the way though. The coaching staff is the same, but the style has changed in a lot of different ways. They'll call a timeout after a tough shift they ice the puck even if it's early in the 2nd period. They changed players around & put them on different lines, but smartly stick with the current lineup & don't panic. And most importantly he's not putting the Thornton's & Daugavins out there late, or at all in the 3rd period. What do you think is the reasoning behind this? 

I'm making a legit hockey thread about the Bruins. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Re: Who said what & what was said

I'd say Claude has listened to fans criticism of him, and good for him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

From quotes over the years, I've gathered that Julien, Chiarelli, and Neely discuss... well, everything I guess.  So no, I don't think it was a matter of one of them sitting down with him, but the ongoing result of their meetings.

I'd also say part of it is time of year.  I haven't checked this year, but in the past Julien would shorten his bench more and more as the season progressed, and then by the playoffs Thornton would get few minutes.  I remember a bunch of times this season where there were complaints about the 4th being out with 2 minutes left in a close game (up or down by at most one) so he still did that.  Just not now, with the end in sight.

-- Proud user of Chambraigne; Now with Wiener Scent! --

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"When he believes in something he sticks with it. So, I'm wondering if Neely had a talk with Peter & he had a talk with Claude. Or did Neely talk to both of them? Or, did CJ just change on his own accord ?"

I cannot believe that Neely and Chiarelli would't say anything. They had to have said something but what that was, for me, would be speculation.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Has he changed?  He still uses the fourth line late in a regular season game.  He still doesn't make line adjustments during the game (except, of course, the Paille-Kelly-Seguin line in game two).  He still doesn't like to waste his timeout after an icing unless he absolutely has to.  We don't notice it as much if the other team doesn't score.  It happened a few times last night when they iced it after a long shift and he didn't use it.  He trusts his players.  You'll see him asking the players on the ice if they're ok.  If they say they're not, then he'll call the timeout.  He has confidence in his centers to win the draw so they can get the puck out of the zone.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

I hope PC, CJ and Cam are having discussions about different options and strategies. The Bruins are great because they seem to be a team on and off the ice.  Therefore I hope the 3 of them listen to each other's ideas and input, but that once he is on the bench CJ has the autonomy to do what he thinks is best for the team during that particular game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

Has he changed?  He still uses the fourth line late in a regular season game.  He still doesn't make line adjustments during the game (except, of course, the Paille-Kelly-Seguin line in game two).  He still doesn't like to waste his timeout after an icing unless he absolutely has to.  We don't notice it as much if the other team doesn't score.  It happened a few times last night when they iced it after a long shift and he didn't use it.  He trusts his players.  You'll see him asking the players on the ice if they're ok.  If they say they're not, then he'll call the timeout.  He has confidence in his centers to win the draw so they can get the puck out of the zone.

Good. if you go back & look at how he conducted himself back then compared to now? I think he's changed quite a bit. I remember threads being brought up about him not calling a  T.O. And when the B's weren't on their game & they were behind this yr & last. The 4th line wasn't used as a whole. You may have seen Campbell, or Paille out there, but not together.  The only time he used the 4th line in the last cup run in Gm7 as much as he did was because in the 1st 10 min of the 1st period that was the only line that was going. Then Bergeron, Marchand & Recchi fed off that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I think CJ has evolved as a coach over time, that's no surprise for anyone who refines their craft with an increase in experience.

I am guilty of being a bit of a CJ detractor.  The regular season was inconsistent and on the heels of a round 1 KO last year, I pulled out the pitchfork.  I have been so wrong about him.

CJ has been awesome.  They needed to pull out a miracle to take out the Leafs, but they did it.  His benchwork, lineups and off-ice demeanor have been fantastic.  He has lead this team to two 2SCF's in three years.  Simply amazing.  Results mattter, and CJ has delivered.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatHockeyGuy. Show ThatHockeyGuy's posts

Julien has changed, but not as much as people are making it out to be. He has played the fourth line in inappropriate situations this postseason (I think he has gotten better with this as the postseason has gone on however). He is also less stubborn about his lineups, and will make changes when necessary. However, he still tends to stick with particular lineups too long at times. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't.

Recently moving Paille up to the third line is a great example of that. Many people wanted Paille moved up well before then, but Julien didn't make the change until he saw that he could no longer live with the poor play of the former third line against Chicago's depth. He may never have made the change before though, which is indicative that his stubbornness is still there, but to a lesser degree.

The team as a whole has always been inconsistent. That hasn't really changed too much. Albeit, since Julien has made changes to his coaching style, the results have improved in the postseason. That doesn't take into account that the team he has now is better than the one 6-7 years ago though.

If you look at their playoff history, they have been relatively inconsistent over the years (you can make the argument that they have been inconsistent from series to series as well). That hasn't changed too much. It's just that there are fewer lapses and greater successes since he changed.

They overachieved against Montreal in '08. That was a tremendous series. The B's put up a fight that I doubt anyone really thought they could.

In '09, they underachieved. They lost to Carolina in the second round after finishing with the best record in the NHL.

In '10, they underachieved. They lost to Philly after leading the series 3-0.

In '11, they won the cup. 

In '12, they lost in the first round to a Wsh team they should have beaten. A dismal result for a reigning cup champion.

Now in '13, they are currently leading in the cup finals. 

Also, in the regular season the B's have been wildly inconsistent since '08-'09.

In conclusion, Julien has changed, and that has been great for the B's. However, don't convince yourselves that he isn't the same coach from 5 years ago. He is, but with a few tweaks to his coaching style.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to ThatHockeyGuy's comment:

Julien has changed, but not as much as people are making it out to be. He has played the fourth line in inappropriate situations this postseason (I think he has gotten better with this as the postseason has gone on however). He is also less stubborn about his lineups, and will make changes when necessary. However, he still tends to stick with particular lineups too long at times. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't.

Recently moving Paille up to the third line is a great example of that. Many people wanted Paille moved up well before then, but Julien didn't make the change until he saw that he could no longer live with the poor play of the former third line against Chicago's depth. He may never have made the change before though, which is indicative that his stubbornness is still there, but to a lesser degree.

The team as a whole has always been inconsistent. That hasn't really changed too much. Albeit, since Julien has made changes to his coaching style, the results have improved in the postseason. That doesn't take into account that the team he has now is better than the one 6-7 years ago though.

If you look at their playoff history, they have been relatively inconsistent over the years (you can make the argument that they have been inconsistent from series to series as well). That hasn't changed too much. It's just that there are fewer lapses and greater successes since he changed.

They overachieved against Montreal in '08. That was a tremendous series. The B's put up a fight that I doubt anyone really thought they could.

In '09, they underachieved. They lost to Carolina in the second round after finishing with the best record in the NHL.

In '12, they lost in the first round to a Wsh team they should have beaten. A dismal result for a reigning cup champion.

Also, in the regular season the B's have been wildly inconsistent since '08-'09.

In conclusion, Julien has changed, and that has been great for the B's. However, don't convince yourselves that he isn't the same coach from 5 years ago. He is, but with a few tweaks to his coaching style.

The best part of the post was when you said, " in conclusion ".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

The main reason for the change - Gregory Campbell.

Otherwise, it's the same old Claude. And like everything else in life, sometimes things go your way and sometimes they don't. 

There are worse Coaches out there, not too many better though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Julien is the best coach the B's have ever had, end of story.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LMAO! I agree...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatHockeyGuy. Show ThatHockeyGuy's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

[QUOTE]

LMAO! I agree...

[/QUOTE]

I take it that both of you completely agree with my post seeing as neither of you could point out one thing that was wrong with it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

07-08 (first year): led the team back to the playoffs (they didnt make it in 06 if memory serves)

08-09 : wins the Jack Adams

09-10: I dont blame Claude for the Philly series.  That was a funky year and just a weird series.  You had Savard trying to be Savard when he just couldnt clear the cobwebs, Krejci getting hurt...So you are down two top centers, then Gagne playing like a man possessed, even doing things that you wouldnt think Gagne would do based on his reputation of being soft

10-11: Cup

11-12: Great regular season.  Dissapointing first round exit; however, dont forget how close this series was.  Four overtime games, all seven games decided by a single goal.  To me, this shows that the team competed hard.

12-13: This year.

I see a successful tenure.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Between the 07-08 season and this season there are only 7 teams that have made the playoffs every year.  Four of them have gone all the way and won a Cup.  IF, the Bruins can get two more wins this year, they will be the only one with two Cups.  At worst, the Bruins have been one of the best 3 or 4 teams in the league over the past 5 years.  You could very easily argue they have been the best.

Chiarelli deserves nothing but praise.  I don't think you can judge the GM too crticially over which way a 7-game playoff series falls.  The GM's work is mostly over by then, and it is a matter of strategy execution, and effort.  The GM's job every year is to build a roster that can get them into the playoffs and then hopefully have the talent, depth, and chemistry to make a run and compete for a Cup.  I think Chiarelli has done that every year (there are no sweeps -- if the Bruins lose they lose in 7 games).  

Chiarelli has also done this with the tact and balance that leaves them in a very good position next year, and the year after that.  This is not a team built on desperate signings, deadline trades, and shipping away future assets.  The Bruins have been among the league's best, while still drafting high, developing youth, and hanging onto one of the league's better crops of future prospects.  It has been everything you could ask for out of a GM.  

The present is bright.  The future is bright.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[/QUOTE]

LMAO! I agree...

[/QUOTE]

I take it that both of you completely agree with my post seeing as neither of you could point out one thing that was wrong with it.

[/QUOTE]

I disagree because you went against e-thing I said in my orginal post & in my response to goodnews. It has nothing to do with the success & failures of the team, but how CJ has changed in some area's of his style after Cam was so pissed about Seguin not dressing back in 2011. So is it a coinicidence that happened, or did they give CJ an ultimatium? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[/QUOTE]

Win or lose the cup the success is already here. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Okay, so he is the same coach, he's just different.  Is that right?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

NAS has changed, and that has been great for the BDC. However, don't convince yourselves that he isn't the same poster from 4 years ago. He is, but with a few tweaks to his posting style.
    In conclusion is he different or is he still that 4th liner with initials ST?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

LMAO! I agree...

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I respectfully disagree with much of your post.  I feel that you are making the mistake that every other single analyst in every sport makes (so its not like you are alone).

You are underrating the impact of dumb luck.  I honestly feel that dumb luck has more to do with our varying playoff success than Julien.

All seven games against Washington were one goal games, four of which ended in OT.  One bounce and we move on.

Look at this year.  One bounce in the Toronto series and we are golfing right now.

We won against TB in OT of game 7.

Coaches get too much credit and too much blame. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Win or lose the cup the success is already here. 

[/QUOTE]

100% agree.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

I respectfully disagree with much of your post.  I feel that you are making the mistake that every other single analyst in every sport makes (so its not like you are alone).

You are underrating the impact of dumb luck.  I honestly feel that dumb luck has more to do with our varying playoff success than Julien.

All seven games against Washington were one goal games, four of which ended in OT.  One bounce and we move on.

Look at this year.  One bounce in the Toronto series and we are golfing right now.

That Dumb Luck may have something to do with David Krejci.  Knocked out of Philly series = epic collapse.  Lead league in playoff Pts. = win cup.  Concussed by dumb dick fans banging on glass = 1st round exit.  Leading league in playoff pts. = ?.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    You mean Montreal right?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

LMAO! I agree...

Take it whatever way makes you feel the best. It also seems you're confusing someone who won't for someone who can't. I'm very capable of pointing out problems with your post but I won't because I needed a nap after reading it all.