Who Should the Bruins Target as a Free Agent?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Re: Who Should the Bruins Target as a Free Agent?

Here's what I think we need:

Someone to make our PP work, and
    someone that can work the front of the net

Probably best if we try to get those players from a team that already plays a similar style (defense-minded, good forechecking.)

So who fits that bill?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

Why is everyone here so against signing a Parise or Nash type?  $7Mill is too much money?  Krejci gets 5.5, add Corvo to that and you could have Nash or Parise with Seguin centering the first line?

If you count the Boychuk, Thornton, and Peverly raises for next season and TT leaves like many believe, we have $21 Mill in cap space.  One of the arguments you always hear is we can't keep guys if we sign a Parise, why not?  Even if Tuukka got TT's money (which he won't), 7M to a Parise, we have 9M to sign Kelly and maybe a guy like benoit if we want.

Everyone also says resigning next years guys, who is getting a big raise other than Seguin?  He already counts against the cap for $4M.  Are we really worried about a big raise for Horton?  Will Horton even be the same guy?

We shouldn't be so enamored with our own guys.  I love this team as much as anyone, but we need some tweaking, and we def need a real 1st line threat to play with Seguin and on the PP going forward.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

In Response to Re: Who Should the Bruins Target as a Free Agent?:
    [QUOTE]Here's what I think we need: Someone to make our PP work, and someone that can work the front of the net Probably best if we try to get those players from a team that already plays a similar style (defense-minded, good forechecking.) So who fits that bill?
    Posted by Bruinfaninnewjersey[/QUOTE]

Parise, former 40 goal scorer and PP guy, plays for Devils (enough said on similar style), and is a bulldog in tough areas despite being a smaller guy.  Just go back to the last few games he had against Chara, I am hard pressed to think of a guy who battled big Z better this year.

Here's to hoping Dougie can step in and play a top 4 D role and potentially PP guy, we need a dman who can be mobile on the blue and pass the puck almost as bad as we need a scoring threat/offensive skill

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Parise will force them to not be able to retain Kelly and Campbell, and thus either forcing some low-end scrubs from free agency or some prospects who aren't ready to step in and play.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

[QUOTE]Parise will force them to not be able to retain Kelly and Campbell, and thus either forcing some low-end scrubs from free agency or some prospects who aren't ready to step in and play.
    Posted by TheGuyWithDaThing[/QUOTE]

Why do you think that is the case?  How much of a raise will Kelly get?  A million more?  You could take Rolston's money alone and get Parise, then spend the remaining 10M$+ to resigntuukka Kelly and Campbell.  Next year Horton and TT's money will come off, who knows what Horton will be a year from now, that makes another $10M next year just with those two guys.

It is completely false for everyone to think we have no cap space, or the team will be dismantled or we can resign seguin if we get a Parise type guy.  Not true, we would have well over $20M in cap space if TT or Krejci get dealt, and add up our free agent $ and Savvy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawrBear. Show RawrBear's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who Should the Bruins Target as a Free Agent? : Oduya really think so ? 
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

This team badly needs two things.

1- A scoring threat. Let's face it Parise fits the bill, but would throw the whole salary structure out of wack on the Bruins. But how can you pass on a talent like that that doesn't cost you anything other than $. Get him if you can, but i have a feeling that the B's won't to it.

2- Offensive D. Chara just doesn't do it. Decent point totals for him the last couple of years, but doesn't do much on the PP. Maybe Dougie is the guy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Onthe405. Show Onthe405's posts

In response to "Re: Who Should the Bruins Target as a Free Agent?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who Should the Bruins Target as a Free Agent? : There are about 10 left wingers in the NHL who scored more goals than Lucic in the last 2 years. None of them had as many hits. Who is this player you propose they replace Lucic with that will be such a clear upgrade? Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE] You might start with someone who actually shows up in the playoffs. The best power forward in the league just moved on to the second round. His name is Dustin Brown: 1 GWG, 2 Shorties, and too many hits to count. He sent the Sedins (who also didn't show up for the playoffs) golfing. He also did it in 5 games. We get half that production from Lucic and we are gameplanning New Jersey as we speak. A player with Lucic's size and skill shouldn't be anonymous for seven games. When I think of last years cup run, I think Thomas, Krejci, Chara, Horton, hell, even Ryder before I think of Lucic and that's pretty sad. There is too much attachment going on based purely on who we perceive Milan to be versus the player he actually is. Don't get too attached to players, objectivity goes right out the window.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Who Should the Bruins Target as a Free Agent?": You might start with someone who actually shows up in the playoffs. The best power forward in the league just moved on to the second round. His name is Dustin Brown: 1 GWG, 2 Shorties, and too many hits to count. He sent the Sedins (who also didn't show up for the playoffs) golfing. He also did it in 5 games. We get half that production from Lucic and we are gameplanning New Jersey as we speak. A player with Lucic's size and skill shouldn't be anonymous for seven games. When I think of last years cup run, I think Thomas, Krejci, Chara, Horton, hell, even Ryder before I think of Lucic and that's pretty sad. There is too much attachment going on based purely on who we perceive Milan to be versus the player he actually is. Don't get too attached to players, objectivity goes right out the window.
    Posted by Onthe405[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, Lucic is an awful slam dunker.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I don't think Parise or maybe even Nash are that far fetched. I think Seguin could be moved up to 1st line center and DK (not a 1st line center) could be traded. The net difference in salary from DK to Parise is what, $2m? They can handle that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Who Should the Bruins Target as a Free Agent?": You might start with someone who actually shows up in the playoffs. The best power forward in the league just moved on to the second round. His name is Dustin Brown: 1 GWG, 2 Shorties, and too many hits to count. He sent the Sedins (who also didn't show up for the playoffs) golfing. He also did it in 5 games. We get half that production from Lucic and we are gameplanning New Jersey as we speak. A player with Lucic's size and skill shouldn't be anonymous for seven games. When I think of last years cup run, I think Thomas, Krejci, Chara, Horton, hell, even Ryder before I think of Lucic and that's pretty sad. There is too much attachment going on based purely on who we perceive Milan to be versus the player he actually is. Don't get too attached to players, objectivity goes right out the window.

This is true and most fans suffer from this. I know I'm guilty of it at times.
    Sorry to see you are a Lakers fan. Kobe is one of the worst human beings on the planet.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Dustin Brown is a fabulous player.

But best power forward in the league who actually shows up for the playoffs ? He is 27 years old. Ten days ago he had a handful of playoff points ( 7 ) entering this years playoffs. His playoff career was basically non-existent. Lucic's playoff career at 23 already surpassed Brown's.

He was what you say Lucic is now. In one good week of work you have proclaimed him the best power forward in the NHL who shows up for the playoffs. 

Don't get too attached ( Brown )or pissed off ( Lucic ) with certain players. It makes you say stupid things. Come back when you actually know what you're talking about . With Brown you didn't.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Who Should the Bruins Target as a Free Agent?:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who Should the Bruins Target as a Free Agent? : Good poinst Sandawg...CBA will dictate for sure....I'm with you about not rushing up players. And I hope your right about some of the guys we have down there. We are still close to getting that dam cup back !!!  cheers Sandawg.Posted by Stuke50[/QUOTE]

Allot of this is hoping Bruins prospects can jump up and in to the NHL. I'm cheerleading for them because the truth is Chiarelli really hasn't drafted well.

So PC might just might go the veteran route as you suggested cheers back to you sir!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]This team badly needs two things. 1- A scoring threat. Let's face it Parise fits the bill, but would throw the whole salary structure out of wack on the Bruins. But how can you pass on a talent like that that doesn't cost you anything other than $. Get him if you can, but i have a feeling that the B's won't to it. 2- Offensive D. Chara just doesn't do it. Decent point totals for him the last couple of years, but doesn't do much on the PP. Maybe Dougie is the guy.
    Posted by perrysound[/QUOTE]

Completely agree with this in terms of what the team needs. It is obvious that the B's need some upgrades.

That said, it is very likely that PC will go with youth or some cheap signings and wait until the deadline to upgrade, just like he did this year and last.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dskerr. Show dskerr's posts

Not sure if he would ever leave Phoenix, but Shane Doan would be a perfect fit....skill, size and character....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

In Response to Who Should the Bruins Target as a Free Agent?:
    [QUOTE]I mentioned before the trade deadline that we still had not replaced the golden scoring touch of M.Ryder, or the PP grit of Recchi, and at the time Horton had just recently being concussed a second time by that rat in Philly. So. Who would you like to see land in a Bruin jersey this July 1st ? Unless of coarse your of the thought that we don't need a goal scoring forward. I believe we have enough cap room to make a play on someone. I'm just wondering who ?
    Posted by Stuke50[/QUOTE]

Zach Parise, really like his game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Using capgeek's calculator for next year, I get this:

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER
    My Custom Lineup
    FORWARDS
    Milan Lucic ($4.083m) / David Krejci ($5.250m) / Tyler Seguin ($3.550m) 
    Brad Marchand ($2.500m) / Patrice Bergeron ($5.000m) / Nathan Horton ($4.000m) 
    Shawn Thornton ($1.100m) / Rich Peverley ($3.250m) / Jordan Caron ($1.100m) 
    Marc Savard ($4.007m) / 
    DEFENSEMEN
    Zdeno Chara ($6.917m) / Johnny Boychuk ($3.367m) 
    Dennis Seidenberg ($3.250m) / Adam McQuaid ($1.567m) 
    Andrew Ference ($2.250m) / 
    GOALTENDERS
    Tim Thomas ($5.000m) 
    BUYOUTS
    Patrick Eaves ($0.258m) 
    ------
    CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
    (these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
    SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $56,448,809; BONUSES: $2,850,000
    CAP SPACE (16-man roster): $7,851,191

That number increases by $4M if they use Savard's LTIR, and $2.8M if the bonus cushion is reinstated.

With no other subtractions, that means $8M (or $14M) to sign 3 F, 1 D, and 1G.  If you want to play cap games, start with this.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

[QUOTE]Not sure if he would ever leave Phoenix, but Shane Doan would be a perfect fit....skill, size and character....
    Posted by dskerr[/QUOTE]

yeah, forgot to mention him, would be a great fit here

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The Bruins lost an extremely close series against a very good team that was the pre-season favorite to win the cup. The series was completely bogged down with obstruction and defensive play. The Bruins were down 2 top-6 forwards by the end of it. I don't think anything should be obvious to anyone about any deficiencies the Bruins have.

As the Doctor pointed out, the Bruins have 8-14 mil to play with, with several players to sign. Spending almost all of that on Parise doesn't seem to make much sense. Especially with Lucic, Marchand and Seguin all due new contracts next year. Also not included is Hamilton's rookie Max contract of $3.5 mil. Let's do it! 7.5 for Zach, 3.5 for Dougie brings us to 11. 3mil left to sign a couple forwards and a goalie, with no injury spares and no cap space for call ups. Mabye we could ditch the other two forwards and Parise could be the 3rd line on his own?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

And there it is the Shane Doan watch officially starts on BDC. I say 22 threads titled "What about Shane Doan ?" will be started before now an July 1st...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Not much to look at, and the following questions: 1] will horton come back? if so, no change on Kreji line; Marchand/Bergeron/Seguin; Kelly needs to come back, maybe 3.5 for 2/3 years ? Peverly fits right in; Pouliot looks better now than he did in October, but only for 1.5 for 2 years ? Campbell and Paille look better than most on that listing, but Caron deserves a full time shot. Plus Campbell and Paille are no longer the best 4th line when you see guys with size as well as speed. Signing Thornton is still a big mistake. I guess Peter's allowed one. Chara, Seids, Boychuck, McQuaid and Hamilton; Ference for his experience, although Krug could be a suprise at training camp. The only support D could be Mottau for his good hockey sense. Zanon too slow; Corvo, hope not; Not much room on the bus. Rask should become #1, will use up some of the extra bucks; maybe Timmy will stay on as alternate for one more year; and who do you target in a trade ? parise, Nash are not in the viewfinder; maybe Suter, but would have to be a three way since rinne has anadequate backup.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins6. Show Bruins6's posts

[QUOTE]The Bruins lost an extremely close series against a very good team that was the pre-season favorite to win the cup. The series was completely bogged down with obstruction and defensive play. The Bruins were down 2 top-6 forwards by the end of it. I don't think anything should be obvious to anyone about any deficiencies the Bruins have. As the Doctor pointed out, the Bruins have 8-14 mil to play with, with several players to sign. Spending almost all of that on Parise doesn't seem to make much sense. Especially with Lucic, Marchand and Seguin all due new contracts next year. Also not included is Hamilton's rookie Max contract of $3.5 mil. Let's do it! 7.5 for Zach, 3.5 for Dougie brings us to 11. 3mil left to sign a couple forwards and a goalie, with no injury spares and no cap space for call ups. Mabye we could ditch the other two forwards and Parise could be the 3rd line on his own?
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]
    The only way there is a chance that Parise wears a Bruins uniform is if Timmy gets traded with not much cap room coming back.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]Not sure if he would ever leave Phoenix, but Shane Doan would be a perfect fit....skill, size and character....
    Posted by dskerr[/QUOTE]

I think the only way Doan leaves Phoenix, is if Phoenix leaves Phoenix.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Onthe405. Show Onthe405's posts

In response to "Re: Who Should the Bruins Target as a Free Agent?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who Should the Bruins Target as a Free Agent? : Yeah, Lucic is an awful slam dunker. Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE] Well thought out response. I should have guessed, I don't have enough time to get to 1000+ posts, so my opinion isn't worth much. I don't blame you, there isn't much of a response to the argument that the bruins won last year despite Lucic and that they were one goal removed from moving on to the next round despite his negative output this year. If your going to play sloppy, not skate, not get back defensively, not hit and then proceed take the occasional bad penalty, fine, but at least put the puck in the net. These threads about not mixing the team and god forbid making a trade are hilarious. I have a great idea let's use the same formula next year, look where it got this year. And let's make sure we leave cap room for the guy who is perceived to be one of the best power forwards in the league, but hangs em up come playoff time. The homerism on this board is laughable.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts