Who Will Be This Year's Best Bargain?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Who Will Be This Year's Best Bargain?

In Response to Re: Who Will Be This Year's Best Bargain?:
    In Response to Re: Who Will Be This Year's Best Bargain? : what i am saying, is your missing the point, Couture probably has all the same incentives.. Incentives are outlined in the CBA.. Individual "a" bonuses are all outlined, and are worth 212k each, but you can't earn more then 850k.. $2m in bonuses, require the player to earn league wide awards, hall can earn 2.85 m in bonuses, if he hits 850k of the team outlined bonuses (20g, 35a 60points, top 6 minutes etc..) the majority of the bonuses require him to win a hart trophy or MVP.. So its not like Couture got screwed in his bonus money which is how you are making it sound, he didnt hit 35a, nor 60 points.. I doubt he was top 6 in minutes.. didn't qualify for any of  the "b" bonuses
    Posted by rolerhoky19

I didn't say he got screwed. I said there's 425,000$ available(at most) for Couture in bonuses while Hall has over 2m$ available. Seems pretty straight forward.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

aIn Response to Re: Who Will Be This Year's Best Bargain?:
    This true enough, dez, but the deals a) still aren't really comparable to other players because of base salary limitations and b) are basically indexed by draft position.  Hall and Seguin have nearly $4M available all told because they were top 2.  Couture was still top ten, but that's the standard gap.  Look at Hamill's number - almost identical to Couture.  It's sort of self-evident that if any draft pick out of the top 4 or 5 makes a significant impact, he's going to be a total bargain.
    Posted by Bookboy007

BB, I agree with your assessment and that's partially why I'm hesitant to predict a player like Hall or Seguin will be a bargain. Either would need a Stamkos-like sophomore season in order to end up being a bargain.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Who Will Be This Year's Best Bargain? : I didn't say he got screwed. I said there's 425,000$ available for him in bonuses while Hall has over 2mil. available. Seems pretty straight forward.
    Posted by dezaruchi

But you understand, hall can not (realistically) earn that..

I was trying to find the numbers, but i believe stamkos 2nd year when he won the richard trophy, he earned just over $2m.. for 96 points, still a hell of a deal..

To earn the 3.75m total, is basically impossible, so I don't put to much into the bonus money outside of the 850k they can earn from team performance bonuses.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

aIn Response to Re: Who Will Be This Year's Best Bargain? : BB, I agree with your assessment and that's partially why I'm hesitant to predict a player like Hall or Seguin will be a bargain. Either would need a Stamkos-like sophomore season in order to end up being a bargain.
    Posted by dezaruchi

like here.. if seguin puts up 30g, 50 assist, he will earn 850k in bonuses, but thats it.. he wont touch the league wide group b bonuses.. 80 points for 1.7m is a heck of a deal..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Who Will Be This Year's Best Bargain? : like here.. if seguin puts up 30g, 50 assist, he will earn 850k in bonuses, but thats it.. he wont touch the league wide group b bonuses.. 80 points for 1.7m is a heck of a deal..
    Posted by rolerhoky19

The simple point I'm making is that Couture could win the scoring race and every major award and still only make 1.24m$.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Who Will Be This Year's Best Bargain? : The simple point I'm making is that Couture could win the scoring race and every major award and still only make 1.24m$.
    Posted by dezaruchi

I get that, I am just looking at saying you'd hesitate to call seguin or hall a bargain, and I am making the  point that finishing top 10 in scoring, seguin/hall etc, would never hit any where near 3.75m because $2 of those bonuses are tied up to the player winning league wide awards..  Impossible for most players on their EL deal.. Couture doesn't have those bonuses, because it simply wasnt a realistic goal..

Keep in mind theres only a 10% cap cushion for bonuses that you can not exceed (the full cap hit counts till a player can not reach those bonuses..) seguins shows as 3.75m against the cap, if marchand had the same kind of contract he would have been stored in providence last season cause the bruins would have been over the cap cusion..

Its just a realism of expecations..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Who Will Be This Year's Best Bargain? : I get that, I am just looking at saying you'd hesitate to call seguin or hall a bargain, and I am making the  point that finishing top 10 in scoring, seguin/hall etc, would never hit any where near 3.75m because $2 of those bonuses are tied up to the player winning league wide awards..  Impossible for most players on their EL deal.. Couture doesn't have those bonuses, because it simply wasnt a realistic goal.. Keep in mind theres only a 10% cap cushion for bonuses that you can not exceed (the full cap hit counts till a player can not reach those bonuses..) seguins shows as 3.75m against the cap, if marchand had the same kind of contract he would have been stored in providence last season cause the bruins would have been over the cap cusion.. Its just a realism of expecations..
    Posted by rolerhoky19

I don't mean Seguin wouldn't be a bargain if he hits his bonuses. I guess I just mean he wouldn't be as good a bargain as a guy like Couture could be.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dentris. Show dentris's posts

Jamie Benn. Had 22/34/56 in 69 games last year and is just scratching the surface. Will make 850,000 in 2011/2012.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Who Will Be This Year's Best Bargain?:
    Even though huge over-payments are mostly what we've seen from the GM's this off-season, there are still some guys in the league that produce pretty well for a reasonable price. Vokoun is an easy pick for someone that should put up good numbers in relation to his cap-hit. So my question is: which player do you think will give the highest return on his cap-hit this season? I'm going to start by picking Logan Couture in SJ. Even with a sophomore slide taken into account, he should still be a safe bet to crack 25 goals and 50 points. For the 1.24m he's paid, I think he's a bargain. Thoughts...............?
    Posted by dezaruchi

Raffi Torres

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Kathryn Tappen

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Who Will Be This Year's Best Bargain? : Raffi Torres Posted by shuperman

I've been waiting for you too jump on that Shup...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Kathryn Tappen
    Posted by kelvana33

One of the most provocative postings this summer.  Left or Right wing?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveTheBruins. Show LoveTheBruins's posts

Tim Thomas!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: Who Will Be This Year's Best Bargain? : I've been waiting for you too jump on that Shup...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

San,

How goes the summer? 

My real pick is Sheldon Souray.  I will make this claim that he will out point Wiz in Columbus.  IF healthy. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dentris. Show dentris's posts

Gonna be tough for Souray to get more than JW if they both stay healthy. JW is gonna get a lot more ice time than Souray. SS will need to put up huge numbers on the PP to do better than JW. Sheldon will be a third-pair guy. Might end up on first PP unit, though. But his salary is relatively low.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Gonna be tough for Souray to get more than JW if they both stay healthy. JW is gonna get a lot more ice time than Souray. SS will need to put up huge numbers on the PP to do better than JW. Sheldon will be a third-pair guy. Might end up on first PP unit, though. But his salary is relatively low.
    Posted by dentris

I'll agree with Shupe on this one. I think it's almost likely that we see another team grow tired of Wisnewski's act before this season is over.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BorisTheGorilla. Show BorisTheGorilla's posts

I think Jeff Carter will have a GIGANTIC year in Columbus.  40 goals, 90 points.  Watch.  He will be huge.  Pick him in your pools.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

For all the back and forth on this thread about whether a player can hit their bonus's and how that impacts if they are a bargain, it's irrelevant this year.  Because the CBA is expiring there is no bonus cushion and all potential bonuses count toward a cap hit.  Therefore, Seguin's cap hit will be at the full $3.55 mil, Couture will be $1.25.  So Seguin will have to do exceptionally well to be called a bargain.  Couture only has to repeat last year's work.  I'd have to give some real thought to think of big bargains around the league (though Skinner - 1.4 and Subban - .875 really stand out), but for the Bruins Ference, McQuaid, Krejci and Boychuck are good deals.  Peverley and Seidenberg are steals.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

anyone who thinks the caps will win the cup are insane

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

I have a feeling Nikita Filatov will have a breakout year. He will get all sorts of ice time in Ottawa. Not really sure how much he will make next year but he'll have all the opportunities in the world to rack up points.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

anyone who thinks the caps will win the cup are insane
    Posted by bostonfan191646

On that note, I think you'd have to be insane to think Washington isn't a threat to win it all.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Who Will Be This Year's Best Bargain? : San, How goes the summer?  My real pick is Sheldon Souray.  I will make this claim that he will out point Wiz in Columbus.  IF healthy. Posted by shuperman

At least you go out on a limb there Shup. Can't argue that, it couldn't happen he's playing for another contract. Call the Stars "Shabs West"...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

For all the back and forth on this thread about whether a player can hit their bonus's and how that impacts if they are a bargain, it's irrelevant this year.  Because the CBA is expiring there is no bonus cushion and all potential bonuses count toward a cap hit.  Therefore, Seguin's cap hit will be at the full $3.55 mil, Couture will be $1.25.  So Seguin will have to do exceptionally well to be called a bargain.  Couture only has to repeat last year's work.  I'd have to give some real thought to think of big bargains around the league (though Skinner - 1.4 and Subban - .875 really stand out), but for the Bruins Ference, McQuaid, Krejci and Boychuck are good deals.  Peverley and Seidenberg are steals.
    Posted by OatesCam

Unless it is part of the new CBA.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

That will affect the following year.  For this year, the numbers are fixed.

In Response to Re: Who Will Be This Year's Best Bargain? : Unless it is part of the new CBA.
    Posted by islamorada

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

That will affect the following year.  For this year, the numbers are fixed. In Response to Re: Who Will Be This Year's Best Bargain? :
    Posted by OatesCam

In any potential agreement the parties can and will bring up "injustices".  One it is an injustice for a player to be promised a bonus and not to pay it for the larger agreement is defuncted.  So, yes the bonus situation will ba an issue from this year will be in the next CBA imnsho.  

Sections
Shortcuts