Who would you rather trade?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Who would you rather trade?

Caron or Spooner

I thought this could be an interesting debate.  Personally, I would HATE to trade Spooner.  I think it means a lot that he's been a pt/game player w/THREE different teams in the OHL.  No matter where he goes in that league, he produces.  He also had 3 pts in 3 games with Providence last year.

Caron has the size and is better defensively.  However, in my opinion, the Bruins seem to always be able to find those solid two way players (e.g. Kelly).  It seems that we have more trouble finding playmakers and scorers.

I would be heartbroken if we traded Spooner.  I've seen some highlights and he's fast, accurate, smart (offensively at least), and can shoot.  I think his upside is Savard.  Caron is a solid two-way player, but I think you can find players like that.

So if you ask me, I'd rather trade Caron.  I'm also hoping that Spooner is playing in Boston once junior ends.  The kid makes plays (and he also seems to shine in high pressure situations).

Curious to hear your thoughts,

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

Re: Who would you rather trade?

Caron

Spooner has been impressive the past 2 training camps

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Caron.

My keepers are Hamilton and Koko for prospects.  I'm not so hot on Knight.

I thought the way Spooner looked at camp and in the preseason games he could have cracked a few NHL lineups.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I think that if you were allowed to call people up from Juniors, Spooner would be in Boston (and contributing).

I kind of hope we roll the dice and call him up for the playoffs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

we're deciding who we trade over highlights?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think Caron is good and will get better, but I have my doubts that he would ever be a star. He was a good solid junior player and will probably be the same in the NHL in time.  Spooner is younger and has actually shown flashes of dominance in Junior. His game is also based more in smarts and skills than Caron's size and strength and for me that is a more rare talent, and one that can help you in the NHL. So I would keep Spooner.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: Who would you rather trade?:
    Posted by kelvana33

Highlights are a good measure of upside.  There's also the fact that he almost made the team out of training camp 2 years in a row.  Then there's this:

(84 pts in 67 games last year!)

I think Caron has a higher floor (because he's big and defensively responsible)...But I think Spooner has crazy offensive upside.  And yes, the highlights (among other things) show this.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I think Caron is good and will get better, but I have my doubts that he would ever be a star. He was a good solid junior player and will probably be the same in the NHL in time.  Spooner is younger and has actually shown flashes of dominance in Junior. His game is also based more in smarts and skills than Caron's size and strength and for me that is a more rare talent, and one that can help you in the NHL. So I would keep Spooner.
    Posted by OatesCam

Exactly!  Great points.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Why trade either one? Caron should be a lock for 3rd or 4th line right wing, with the capability to fill in on the 1st or 2nd line if necessary. He is very responsible on both offense and particularly defense. Remember how well he played on the PK with Bergeron two years ago? Spooner looks like the "Bossy-type" sniper the Bruins would love to have skating with Kreji right now. So, looking forward why trade him. Get rid of Pouliot, Thornton, maybe even Paille, to make room. Plus if Horton does not recover he fits nicely in that goal scoring slot.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Hard to say, i like caron, imo hes somewhat of a bergeron  on the wing, time can only get better for him but as you say drewsk the Bs seem to have alot of 2 way players.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Posted by OatesCam

Caron was a member of a good World Junior team for a reason. His skill set is coveted by coaches that are trying to build a winning team. I like what I've seen from Spooner but I'm worried he will end up no better than Gilbert Brule. You can't teach size.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Neither I think they should both be kept and developed. However if one being moved would help get a player that helps the Bruins take a step closer to repeating then I would keep Caron because of his size and he is better defensively right now in a Julien coached organization.

And Drewski Caron's point totals in the Q are pretty darn good as well. You also have to look at how many positions are left on the Bs roster that fits Spooners skill set. Can he grind it like Caron can ?

PS. Yes I've seen both of them play...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Posted by kelvana33

Not me . Caron .

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

My only concern with Spooner is that he's been traded twice to be a boost to a team that thinks it has playoff aspirations and both times it hasn't exactly worked out.  Sarnia's a work in progress, I guess, and you can't judge until the playoffs, but they aren't looking like they match up with London, Niagara, Plymouth, or Kitchener - just in the West.  Spooner's scoring at about the same rate he always does.  Basically, I worry he's a guy who gets his points but that that doesn't translate to team success.

On the other hand, Caron was basically the 13th forward and the least effective member of a crash-bang line when he won gold at the WJHC.  I don't give him a ton of credit for that - though you have to give him some just for making the team.  I haven't seen much development in his game - nothing like the rocket curve Seguin has been on - so my concern with him is that he is now what he'll always be.

If it has to be one or the other, I suppose it would be Caron.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

My only concern with Spooner is that he's been traded twice to be a boost to a team that thinks it has playoff aspirations and both times it hasn't exactly worked out.  Sarnia's a work in progress, I guess, and you can't judge until the playoffs, but they aren't looking like they match up with London, Niagara, Plymouth, or Kitchener - just in the West.  Spooner's scoring at about the same rate he always does.  Basically, I worry he's a guy who gets his points but that that doesn't translate to team success. On the other hand, Caron was basically the 13th forward and the least effective member of a crash-bang line when he won gold at the WJHC.  I don't give him a ton of credit for that - though you have to give him some just for making the team.  I haven't seen much development in his game - nothing like the rocket curve Seguin has been on - so my concern with him is that he is now what he'll always be. If it has to be one or the other, I suppose it would be Caron.
    Posted by Bookboy007

My thoughts also but on the other hand he did not go to a team ( Kingston or Sarnia ) where they were no more then average teams.

What would happen if he went to a team that was very strong and what was expected of him was to be just another piece rather then a so-called saviour ?
    Just a thought .

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

I'm really not sure what anyone sees in Caron at this point except a lack of speed and skill.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: Who would you rather trade? : My thoughts also but on the other hand he did not go to a team ( Kingston or Sarnia ) where they were no more then average teams. What would happen if he went to a team that was very strong and what was expected of him was to be just another piece rather then a so-called saviour ? Just a thought .
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Good question.  I have another one...What would happen if he played on a line with David Krejci?

One thing I'm particularly impressed with re: Spooner is that his point totals have stayed awesome despite various trades among teams in the OHL.  This shows me that a) his points are completely his and not inflated due to a system or great linemates and b) he's adaptable.  

I may be going a bit far, but I think he's ready to contribute to a cup run THIS YEAR.

He's shown in trading camps that he can hang wiht the big boys.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In Response to Re: Who would you rather trade? : My thoughts also but on the other hand he did not go to a team ( Kingston or Sarnia ) where they were no more then average teams. What would happen if he went to a team that was very strong and what was expected of him was to be just another piece rather then a so-called saviour ? Just a thought .
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

In the OHL you mean?  Send him to play with other Bruin picks on first place teams, say?  I don't know how much that would change my opinion - the team would still have success and it would be hard to measure how much of an impact he had.  I guess that's the way to put my concern in shorthand - I wonder if he's a talent or an impact player.  If he's just a talent, then size and the jump in overall talent level might make it hard for him to put up points - like another smaller, brain-first, clever offensive player with defensive skills the Bruins drafted.  I can't take another four year Hamill project.

Sections
Shortcuts