Who would you trade???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

Who would you trade???

Boychuck or Seidenberg?

Understanding that the idea situation is keeping both, the more I think about it, the more I lean towards trading Seids over Boychuck.  Two years ago I don't think I'd come up with the same answer.  I think Boychuck has come a long way with his decision making and no longer makes the randomly bad decisions that he used to.   Seidenberg on the other hand I think is on the beginning of his decline.  I remember seeing a pretty good article on Stanley Cup of Chowder that looked into Seidenberg's advanced stats from before he blew out his knee and I was surprised to see how mediocre he was when compared across the group.

I think when you look at the two of them they actually stack up pretty evenly.  Both are playoff warriors and guys who can log big minutes playing physical in the top 4.  Both are OK in terms of moving the puck up the ice.  Boychuck's shot gives him a little more offensive potential while I think it can be argued that Seidenberg still has better decision making which would put him ahead defensively.  But all in all it is a wash.

From a salary standpoint, Boychuck is 3.6, probably jumping to 5.5+ next year and Seids is locked in at 4M for another two years (?) if I remember correctly.  Not sure on the whole righty/lefty thing which may be why nobody ever brought this up.

All in all though I'd go with the younger Boychuck than Seids on his decline.  One aging, but still very good, defenseman is enough for my taste.  We still get some cap relief and room to fill with youth, but we keep the guy who will continue to anchor our top 4 for another 4 years instead of the one who may be third pairing material sooner than later.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Re: Who would you trade???

In response to Chappy28's comment:

Boychuck or Seidenberg?

Understanding that the idea situation is keeping both, the more I think about it, the more I lean towards trading Seids over Boychuck.  Two years ago I don't think I'd come up with the same answer.  I think Boychuck has come a long way with his decision making and no longer makes the randomly bad decisions that he used to.   Seidenberg on the other hand I think is on the beginning of his decline.  I remember seeing a pretty good article on Stanley Cup of Chowder that looked into Seidenberg's advanced stats from before he blew out his knee and I was surprised to see how mediocre he was when compared across the group.

I think when you look at the two of them they actually stack up pretty evenly.  Both are playoff warriors and guys who can log big minutes playing physical in the top 4.  Both are OK in terms of moving the puck up the ice.  Boychuck's shot gives him a little more offensive potential while I think it can be argued that Seidenberg still has better decision making which would put him ahead defensively.  But all in all it is a wash.

From a salary standpoint, Boychuck is 3.6, probably jumping to 5.5+ next year and Seids is locked in at 4M for another two years (?) if I remember correctly.  Not sure on the whole righty/lefty thing which may be why nobody ever brought this up.

All in all though I'd go with the younger Boychuck than Seids on his decline.  One aging, but still very good, defenseman is enough for my taste.  We still get some cap relief and room to fill with youth, but we keep the guy who will continue to anchor our top 4 for another 4 years instead of the one who may be third pairing material sooner than later.

Trade boychuk if you have to move one. Not even a choice

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Kelly before he suffers an injury that PC couldn't even "Sturm".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Chara

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I would trade Caron,followed closely by Cross,Bartkowski and finally Savard.  

You will never find a more wretched hive of SCUM and VILLAINY.

-Obi-Wan Kenobi

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to wallydouglas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Chara

[/QUOTE]

Not gonna happen,sorry.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

Chara

[/QUOTE]

Unless you're kidding, why should Boston trade a Norris candidate? Who would you like to see back in return? I'm not against trading anyone if the return is right but I can't think of a package that would be enough and practical. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

One of the things that came up when looking at the Boychuk UFA hysteria is that Seidenberg is actually a better offensive producer than Boychuk.  Seems that between JB's big shot and 20 goal AHL season, there's some sense that he has untapped offensive capabilities.

He doesn't.

Seidenberg will never be confused for an offensive threat, but he had 20 points in 26 games with Mannheim, and he's had a couple of 30+ point years in the NHL.  He's a "calmer" player who can play more minutes effectively than Boychuk without a dropoff in effectiveness.  He's not the open ice thumper Boychuk is - I'd miss that if Boychuk leaves - but Seidenberg is as good or better in every other category.  Except health.  I've seen JB repeatedly fall into the boards and in awful positions where lesser men would be collecting disability for the rest of their natural life.  And he just gets up.  He has no brain to speak of, so he can't be concussed.  Dude's indestructible. 

The other factor is contracts, but if you believe, as I do, that JB will likely re-sign for $4-4.5M on a 5-6 year deal during the season, contract's not an issue.

Are you not entertained?!?!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Kelly before he suffers an injury that PC couldn't even "Sturm".

[/QUOTE]

ha. Good one.  +1

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fanonymost. Show fanonymost's posts

one way to look at this : 

if you trade Seidenberg, then your pairings might be Chara/Hamilton, Bartkowski/Boychuk and Krug/Miller with McQuaid the back-up

if you trade Boychuk, then your pairings might be Chara/Hamilton, Seidenberg/Miller and Krug/McQuaid with Bartkowski the back-up

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lex44. Show Lex44's posts

In response to Chappy28's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Boychuck or Seidenberg?

[/QUOTE]

Seidenberg is signed for 4 more years at 4 million per year. I'm with you and would prefer to go younger with Johnny if possible. Problem is if some team was dumb enough to pay Meszaros over 4 million bucks what will Johnny's rate be as a free agent..??? You can only trade Seids if your sure you can lock up Boychuk for a reasonable contract. That may not be possible unless he really wants to stay...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.capgeek.com/player/489

Orpik's new contract is the comparable to Boychuk's next deal. I'd like to know how Chiarelli is going to convince Johnny Bs agent that it isn't ?

What is PC going to say to Boychuk's agent that will make him take a "Seidenberg contract" ?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lex44. Show Lex44's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.capgeek.com/player/489" rel="nofollow">http://www.capgeek.com/player/489" rel="nofollow">http://www.capgeek.com/player/489

Orpik's new contract is the comparable to Boychuk's next deal. I'd like to know how Chiarelli is going to convince Johnny Bs agent that it isn't ?

What is PC going to say to Boychuk's agent that will make him take a "Seidenberg contract" ?

[/QUOTE]

Orpik coming off a season of 72 games with 2 goals and 11 assists on offensive powerhouse team. The year before 0 goals and 8 assists in 46 games. Plus he's already 33.  Yikes Johnny's agent may want more. Yes looks like Seids stays and adios to Johnnyboy.  I'll miss that rocket!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

If I had to choose, without hesitation it would be Boychuk sent packing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

I was kidding about chara andhim  being a norris finalist got there by way of his pp points playing forward, otherwise he would not have got the vote. The past 2 years I have seen chara, in the playoffs worn down, worn out make alot more mistakes, bad passes, caught on 2 on 1s, he is not as affective as his numbers suggest. Hes aging, he cant do another year of high minute games and expect to be affective come playoff time. His contract may seem resonable via league standards today but to me is too high. Ive been reading alot about team defense first for the Bs, but does no one else see this changing over the past year ?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lex44. Show Lex44's posts

[QUOTE]

I was kidding about chara andhim  being a norris finalist got there by way of his pp points playing forward, otherwise he would not have got the vote. The past 2 years I have seen chara, in the playoffs worn down, worn out make alot more mistakes, bad passes, caught on 2 on 1s, he is not as affective as his numbers suggest. Hes aging, he cant do another year of high minute games and expect to be affective come playoff time. His contract may seem resonable via league standards today but to me is too high. Ive been reading alot about team defense first for the Bs, but does no one else see this changing over the past year ?

[/QUOTE]

He definitely had a tough series against Habs but only the B's know the extent the hand injury had on that. He also looked worn down and it would be hard to believe he could have kept playing all those minutes for 2 more tough series. Hopefully as his play goes down a bit Dougies should go up enough to offset it. As much as he was effective in front of net on PP I'd still pull him off there and let him concentrate all his energy on defense...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

I was kidding about chara andhim  being a norris finalist got there by way of his pp points playing forward, otherwise he would not have got the vote. 

So the only reason Chara was nominated for the Norris is because of his PP points,standing in front of the opposing teams net? Thats a good one Wally,you had me there for a minute.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Boychuk

Seidenberg signed at $4M for 4 years is a great value contract. ( Dion Phaneuf's joke of a contract at $7M in comparison )  Boychuk could be gone in a year through free agency. Seidenberg can also play both sides. Partnering him up with whoever on the second pairing assures that either Chara or him will be on the ice in the top 4's minutes.

Defensively those are still the Bruins best defenders on the back end. Pairing them up with Krug and Hamilton gives a good combination of offense and defense which I would like to see. 

NTC/NMC's also come into play. Seidenberg has a full NTC until Dec 31/16. Boychuk's is modified .

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Boychuk

Seidenberg signed at $4M for 4 years is a great value contract. ( Dion Phaneuf's joke of a contract at $7M in comparison )  Boychuk could be gone in a year through free agency. Seidenberg can also play both sides. Partnering him up with whoever on the second pairing assures that either Chara or him will be on the ice in the top 4's minutes.

Defensively those are still the Bruins best defenders on the back end. Pairing them up with Krug and Hamilton gives a good combination of offense and defense which I would like to see. 

NTC/NMC's also come into play. Seidenberg has a full NTC until Dec 31/16. Boychuk's is modified .

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, and come crunch time to be able to have both Chara and Seidenberg on the ice at the same time is quite the luxury. I do like Boychuk however, and I think if they don't trade him this off-season, I can't see them doing it during the season, even he is still unsigned as I expect them to be contending. Injuries to a forward could change that however.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Bingo, to add Boychuk is 30, Seidenberg is 33.  Yes three years is significant but is it significant enough to say Boychuk is younger.  

[QUOTE]

Boychuk

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]

Boychuk

[/QUOTE]

Bingo!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Bingo!

[/QUOTE]

Under the O.............67.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

hahaha...thought you were looking in the B line.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lex44. Show Lex44's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Boychuk

[/QUOTE]

Bingo!

[/QUOTE]

How do the Kings have almost their whole team signed without many no trade clauses yet the B's seem loaded with players with them? Chia seems to have really tied his hands when it comes to moving players.  Seems most think Kelly will be gone but isn't it his option to just say no? Wasn't the money enough when they signed him without the NTC?  Just seems like Chia has gone overboard with them..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Lex44's comment:

How do the Kings have almost their whole team signed without many no trade clauses yet the B's seem loaded with players with them? Chia seems to have really tied his hands when it comes to moving players.  Seems most think Kelly will be gone but isn't it his option to just say no? Wasn't the money enough when they signed him without the NTC?  Just seems like Chia has gone overboard with them..

[/QUOTE]

According to capgeek the Bruins currently have Bergeron, Kelly, Chara, Seidenberg and Rask with full NTC's. 

The rest of the team is in play for trades.

Other then Kelly which one of these players fall under the categories of................... PC gone overboard or tying his hands, holding up any trade involving them because of their contracts.

Sections
Shortcuts