Why Did Claude Shuffle The Lines/Why Does Everyone Assume Sturm Will Make Team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

Re: Why Did Claude Shuffle The Lines?

Get the h_ll off this site.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

Re: Why Did Claude Shuffle The Lines/Why Does Everyone Assume Sturm Will Make Team?

Great win by B's!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Re: Why Did Claude Shuffle The Lines/Why Does Everyone Assume Sturm Will Make Team?

In Response to Why Did Claude Shuffle The Lines/Why Does Everyone Assume Sturm Will Make Team?:
    [QUOTE]Why does everyone assume Sturm will be on this team when he returns from his injury?  On every cap space thread, all I hear is "When Savard and Sturm are healthy."  Why would the Bruins want Sturm on the team when they're already doing so well.  The guy is rarely healthy, and when he is, he fails to put up spectacular numbers.  I'd rather see the B's keep Ryder and leave Sturm in Providence.
    Posted by TimThomas-god[/QUOTE]

I hate to keep pointing this out, but Sturm was our leading goal scorer last year! Health is an issue but I think we can find some room for him. Wheeler and Paille should be packing their bags.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

Yes Sturm was our leading goal scorer last year, but come on!  The Bruins were last in the league in Goals Scored.  That's like saying Rosie O'Donnell is hotter than Ellen Degeneres (I know that's a bad analogy, but you know what I mean).  Sturm is not a good goal scorer and neither was the B's offense last year.  So the fact that he was their leading goal scorer doesn't really mean anything.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Ryder can't play the PK, barely scored on the 5 on 3 Vs the Devils and once again without Krejci, Boychuk and Savard Ryder took the night off tonight.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

In Response to Re: Why Did Claude Shuffle The Lines/Why Does Everyone Assume Sturm Will Make Team?:
    [QUOTE]Ryder can't play the PK, barely scored on the 5 on 3 Vs the Devils and once again without Krejci, Boychuk and Savard Ryder took the night off tonight.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

But you'd rather have Sturm?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Why Did Claude Shuffle The Lines/Why Does Everyone Assume Sturm Will Make Team?:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Did Claude Shuffle The Lines/Why Does Everyone Assume Sturm Will Make Team? : But you'd rather have Sturm? Posted by TimThomas-god[/QUOTE]

The only reason Ryder isn't in Providence now is because Sturm is out. Marco's goals last year Vs what Michael scored last year plus this year is significant. So if my previous post wasn't obvious then the answer to you is yes Sturm over Ryder.

Where was Michael against Ottawa and Montreal when Boston needed him ? Sorry but he has had his chances to be more consistent.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

In Response to Re: Why Did Claude Shuffle The Lines/Why Does Everyone Assume Sturm Will Make Team?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Did Claude Shuffle The Lines/Why Does Everyone Assume Sturm Will Make Team? : The only reason Ryder isn't in Providence now is because Sturm is out. Marco's goals last year Vs what Michael scored last year plus this year is significant. So if my previous post wasn't obvious then the answer to you is yes Sturm over Ryder. Where was Michael against Ottawa and Montreal when Boston needed him ? Sorry but he has had his chances to be more consistent.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Personally, I'd rather have a guy on the team who can at least stay healthy and put up decent numbers.  We don't know how Sturm is going to produce after coming off another injury.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Did Claude Shuffle The Lines/Why Does Everyone Assume Sturm Will Make Team? : But you'd rather have Sturm?

Yes.  I'd rather have Sturm.  Both Ryder and Sturm are goal scorers.   And while I think that Ryder is the better "sniper" per say, I think Sturm brings more to the table.  If neither player scores a goal over say a two week period, which one gives the team a better chance to win by having him out there?  I say it's Sturm.  Hands down.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Did Claude Shuffle The Lines/Why Does Everyone Assume Sturm Will Make Team? : Yes.  I'd rather have Sturm.  Both Ryder and Sturm are goal scorers.   And while I think that Ryder is the better "sniper" per say, I think Sturm brings more to the table.  If neither player scores a goal over say a two week period, which one gives the team a better chance to win by having him out there?  I say it's Sturm.  Hands down.
    Posted by jalvis[/QUOTE]

I just don't think either player is overwhelmingly better than the other.  They're both overpaid and don't really put up great numbers.  I just think Ryder is more of a sure thing (11 points in 16 games) as he's been playing relatively well thus far.  Sturm is constantly injured and is a no-show come playoff time.  In a perfect world, neither would be on this team, but that's not happening.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Did Claude Shuffle The Lines/Why Does Everyone Assume Sturm Will Make Team? : I just don't think either player is overwhelmingly better than the other.  They're both overpaid and don't really put up great numbers.  I just think Ryder is more of a sure thing (11 points in 16 games) as he's been playing relatively well thus far.  Sturm is constantly injured and is a no-show come playoff time.  In a perfect world, neither would be on this team, but that's not happening.

I think that Ryder takes too many games off.  I just don't see that with Marco. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Somewhat off this thread, go read Kalman's comments on the Bruins Defense. On this topic, Ryder, once again, was a no show-just plain lousy. Puting Seguin on the 4th line is intended to teach him more about defense in the NHL, and he is learning game by game. Even Paille, a very good PK player, is sharing defensive perspective, and this also gives Seguin opportunities like last night which he created and closed. It' probably a moot point, but Ryder will be gone in order to provide cap space for Savard. When , and if, Sturm is ready, the choice might well be trading Wheeler and Paille.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Ryder plays when he feels like it and CJ lets him get away with it. Then when Ryder pots one CJ looks like a proud Papa. No doubt Ryder scored some key goals this year and made some decent passes but his play of late has got to be connected to what is coming down in the next few weeks. The guy has talent but getting him to bring it night after night is not worth his 4M contract.

I hammer Wheeler all the time but I thought he was one of the best Bruins last night. He might know his days are numbered as well but he is making a stronger case than Ryder to stay in Beantown.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]TimTHomas-  I could not agree with you more...We do not need Sturm...He is 3-4 Liner with 1st line speed thats it...Division one speed....Division three hands....He is nothing more than a checking forward with good speed...By the time he is in actual game shape the season will be all but over and by then he will be out of town being a UFA...It does not make sense to move Ryder who is playing rather well or even think about moving a 23 year Wheeler who has far more potential than a 32 year old winger with bad knees and is a UFA July 1st! Just leave him in the minors.
    Posted by rockett7[/QUOTE]

It's not just a question of "needing" Sturm--which may or may not be the case....he has a No Trade Clause which makes him extremely hard to move, so they'll try very hard to work him into the lineup.

Wheeler is much more expendable than Sturm and they should try to trade him first, followed by Ryder if only to get his $4 M off the books, which they have no choice but to try and do.

and as always, I'd get rid of the completely useless Paille for a bag of pucks and a hot pretzel.  Talk about a guy who's holding back Seguin's progress by being on the same line--his name is Paille.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

You don't uncermoniously dump a 12-year veteran who's worn the "A" after he works his way back from a knee injury, and anyone who makes such a suggestion should never, EVER question why a player doesn't sign with his team for a so-called hometown discount. If Sturm is healthy and able to play, he'll play. If he isn't, he won't. The Bruins aren't going to treat him like dirt.

Sturm plays on the PP and the PK. He has scored 20+ goals for seven straight years (minus one year missed due to injury). Anyone who says he's not a goal-scorer should have his head examined.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Trade Wheeler and Ryder and Paille to Put in Sturm in Savard you know one if not both of STurm/Savard is goign to go down again and then what do you do? Call up hamill?

Id keep Wheeler based on age, upside, health over sturm.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

And as for Julien shuffling the lines, he did so for many reasons. In the previous game, they didn't score. In the last two games, they scored three goals, including one by Seguin. Looks like it worked.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

First of all, Jeremy Jacobs made it clear that while he would sign off on sending a high-paid player down to Providence, it was absolutely the last thing he wants.  He wants to shed salary through trades.  Chiarelli knows this and is smart enough to know that if he demotes a Ryder or a Sturm, he does so at his own peril.

Now who do you think is going to be easier to trade?  A player with a no trade clause who is untested after coming back from another major knee surgery, or a player without a NTC who is durable and has put up decent numbers so far this season?  No trade clause aside, do you think that Sturm is even tradeable at this point?  I don't.  In order for a team to even take Sturm, the Bruins would have to sweeten the deal with another player (a core player, not a spare part) or a high draft pick.  I don't see that happening.

With Ryder, the Bruins may have to sweeten the deal to persuade another team to take him, but not as much as they would have to with Sturm. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]You don't uncermoniously dump a 12-year veteran who's worn the "A" after he works his way back from a knee injury, and anyone who makes such a suggestion should never, EVER question why a player doesn't sign with his team for a so-called hometown discount. If Sturm is healthy and able to play, he'll play. If he isn't, he won't. The Bruins aren't going to treat him like dirt. Sturm plays on the PP and the PK. He has scored 20+ goals for seven straight years (minus one year missed due to injury). Anyone who says he's not a goal-scorer should have his head examined.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]
    Yeah,how people can compare Sturm,a consistent 25 goal player,to the likes of Paille is beyond me.And to say he's injury-prone is wrong too as you know.Up until 2 seasons ago he was incredibly durable.But I guess some people find it easier to kick someone when they're down instead of helping them back up.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]BearIt...You've got to be kidding me Sturm far more expendable than Wheeler.
    Posted by rockett7[/QUOTE]

What exactly do you see out of Wheeler other than a guy who topped his potential in his rookie year, put on weight to get tougher, then completely lost his scoring touch?

Sturm is a question mark only b/c of the injury he suffered, but he's got the resume to back up his worth as a proven goal scorer and veteran presence that--if healthy--should help the team far more than wheeler can. Plus there's that NTC situation which limits the Bruins' options on dealing Sturm.

I'm by no means Marco's biggest fan...he was a no-show in the playoffs last year even before he got hurt, but he deserves at the very least the chance to prove whether he can contribute again, whereas Wheeler has been given every chance possible and no injury excuse for his MIA play.

Ryder is a victim of the fat contract they gave him. I love his shot and when he plays hard, he can be a factor, but we all know the cap situation and something's got to give. I'd rather get something of value in return for Rydes (even if it's a draft pick) rather than letting him rot away in Providence so it's best to trade him when he's playing well and can get a roster player in return.

Wheeler/Paille/Ryder--dump some or all and get something in return that's cheaper and yes, it makes more sense to free up the cap space for Sturm and Savard.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I think I see a big point being missed.. Sturm has to be activated to the NHL roster once he is healthy we can't shelf him and the assign him to providence with out activating him first.  Which means the B's will have to have cap room to do so.. Whoever they move to activate sturm will be the man out, at least temporarily....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]I think I see a big point being missed.. Sturm has to be activated to the NHL roster once he is healthy we can't shelf him and the assign him to providence with out activating him first.  Which means the B's will have to have cap room to do so.. Whoever they move to activate sturm will be the man out, at least temporarily....
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's true...so why not explore trade options w/Wheeler/Ryder/Paille to make that room? A lot of teams that may want youth (Wheeler), a guy w/a great shot (Ryder), or ...well, I don't know why anyone would want Paille, but you never know....and may be willing to deal some cheap options back to Boston to free up the cap space.

The argument (made by someone else) that Sturm or Savvy could go down again could be made for any player on any team at any time. Injuries are the worst X factor in the game and you can't predict them...but what we do know is that the Bruins will absolutely need a healthy and productive Savard if they're to make any kind of serious run at the Cup, and, if healthy, Sturm does have the potential to add as much if not more scoring depth and veteran presence than Ryder (and certainly more than Wheeler)...so it makes sense to clear out Wheels and Rydes to make sure those other guys get the chance to come back and make a positive difference. I'll tell you this much: Both Savvy and Sturm will be incredibly motivated and chomping at the bit to get back and make the team better.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]I think I see a big point being missed.. Sturm has to be activated to the NHL roster once he is healthy we can't shelf him and the assign him to providence with out activating him first.  Which means the B's will have to have cap room to do so.. Whoever they move to activate sturm will be the man out, at least temporarily....
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]
    First, it is only a problem if he comes back after Savard.  That does seem like it might be the case.

It is the conventional wisdom, yes.  I wonder about it, though.  In the CBA, it says that a player on the Active Roster at 5 pm EST or any player that has traveled/practiced with the team in the past day counts towards the daily cap-hit.

This makes me wonder if the following procedure would work:
    • Sit Sturm in a hotel room for a day.
    • Activate Sturm at 10:00 am.
    • Trade Sturm at 10:01 am.
    Maybe I'm just missing something in the CBA.  It's probably a moot point though, I don't see any team trading for him without seeing him in games first this year.

As for Paille, I think any team that thinks fixing its PK is all it needs to get into the playoffs, they would be interested.  It's not like he's expensive.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Did Claude Shuffle The Lines/Why Does Everyone Assume Sturm Will Make Team? : First, it is only a problem if he comes back after Savard.  That does seem like it might be the case. It is the conventional wisdom, yes.  I wonder about it, though.  In the CBA, it says that a player on the Active Roster at 5 pm EST or any player that has traveled/practiced with the team in the past day counts towards the daily cap-hit. This makes me wonder if the following procedure would work: Sit Sturm in a hotel room for a day. Activate Sturm at 10:00 am. Trade Sturm at 10:01 am. Maybe I'm just missing something in the CBA.  It's probably a moot point though, I don't see any team trading for him without seeing him in games first this year. As for Paille, I think any team that thinks fixing its PK is all it needs to get into the playoffs, they would be interested.  It's not like he's expensive.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

LTIR counts against the cap daily.. Once he is cleared to play his salary will no longer be allowed to exceed the cap by that amount..

Taking a quick look I believe to activate sturm, even with savard injured the bruins will have to shed about 1.3m from the cap, that is easy enough as sending 2 players down, paille etc.. but were in a much tougher situation when savard returns.. I think the bruins need to be in position to make the moves they want, not the moves they have to make..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Yea, I didn't think that through too clearly.  It works out to $0.6M that would need to be moved to activate Sturm if Savard is still on LTIR.  Sending either Caron or Marchand (as un-earned as it is) to Providence would be enough.

As for the LTIR, yes it is calculated daily.  The language I am concerned with is Article 50.9, "Issues Related to Timing blah blah blah" on page 221.  The actual accounting procedure appears to only care about who is on the active roster, IR, injured non-roster, and non roster at 5:00 pm.  I do not see anything that says a player not on any of those, that was on LTIR the previous day, but did not play/practice/travel with the team would still be counted.  I believe this may be a loophole.  Perhaps it has been closed, I don't know where additions to the CBA would be located.

Sections
Shortcuts