Why does Chara get a "flyer"?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeZanussi. Show JoeZanussi's posts

Why does Chara get a "flyer"?

I just read through 9 pages of the Bruins/Sabres game thread & there was no calling out Captain "Z".  One comment mentioned that he must be playing hurt.  I was at the game last night in Buffalo, and no sooner had I mentioned how Chara gets caught out of position, he attempts to pinch to keep the puck in the zone and the Sabres are off on a 2 on 1, leaving Boychuk hanging out to dry.  That goal made it 2-2 and changed the whole complexion of the game.  I looked up at the jumbotron for the replay, & Chara never even enters the screen.  Is it just me, or does this guy get caught out of position & "pinch" at the worst times in games?

I almost dread the powerplay with Z at the point because it's a puck bobble away from an opponent's breakaway.  If it wasn't for this guy's freakish size & reach, he would be considered an average NHL defenseman, IMO.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Why does Chara get a

He's off to a less than Norris start.  Maybe he's hurt.  We don't know.  He's a lot more than just a big player, however.  Your comments are well uninformed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I saw Chara make a few mistakes, but also break up a number of rushes, strip the puck from skilled players, and generally play pretty well.  If you think Chara won't make mistakes or get beat sometimes, you're going to be disappointed watching most games.  

A lot of guys played worse than him last night.  I don't think he does get a free pass, but if he does, it is because he does so much for this team and plays so many minutes that you can/should overlook the occasional mistake.  It happens.  Look at the big picture.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

This is the last place to look for any criticism of Bruins players - Oh yeah Chara has been invisible most of this year, and that's on his good days, which is hard to do when your 7' tall.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeZanussi. Show JoeZanussi's posts

I stand corrected & generally agree with all of your retorts.  I'm just still fuming over last night's 3rd period and what made for a longer drive home.  Just substitute "Ferrence" for "Chara" in my original post & remove "freakish size & reach".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to JoeZanussi's comment:

I stand corrected & generally agree with all of your retorts.  I'm just still fuming over last night's 3rd period and what made for a longer drive home.  Just substitute "Ferrence" for "Chara" in my original post & remove "freakish size & reach".

Ference was downright miserable last night.  Turnovers, missed assignments and out of position playing was common.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

The reason he'd been/he's getting a pass is because the team game has been there in spades during their 8-1-2 start. I've noticed he hasn't been playing his best (which is a superior level), but he's still such a vital cog to the team's success that I take for granted the importance of his play on a nightly basis.

With that said, yes that turnover was very bad and directly affected the outcome of the game...it happens to the best of them sometimes.

On the other note, the puck seems to jump over Boychuck's stick on the point al lot more than Z's.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Last night's loss can not be attributed to the play of just one or two players. It was a team effort, or lack of one.

1). "finishers" not finishing

2). sloppy d work (especially the third pairing)

3). suspect goaltending

4) whole lines stinking up the rink on any given shift

5) no physicality from the physical players

It was just one game to be sure but if even a couple of things on this list happens next game as well, be prepared to see some minor tweaking of the lineup.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Last night's loss can not be attributed to the play of just one or two players. It was a team effort, or lack of one.

3). suspect goaltending

explain...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Chara has been very average so far but Ference has been down right awful.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

3). suspect goaltending

explain...

Just the last two games. Rask's softie in the previous game and Khudobin's knack for juicy rebounds plus I though that the last two goals on him were saveable.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

It had ZERO to do with goaltending

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

It's not so much Chara avoids criticism.  In past years in this forum he's come under plenty of fire from some for not destroying people who come within a stick's length of him and the boards.  We Bruin fans have high expectations of him as he's one of the elite D-men in the league and in the great sceme of things he usually delivers.  So far I think he's mostly steady but not spectacular in his play in helping the Bruins off to this start. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:

I disagree.  The 3rd and 4th goals may have been kept out by a better goalie.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to JoeZanussi's comment:

I just read through 9 pages of the Bruins/Sabres game thread & there was no calling out Captain "Z".  One comment mentioned that he must be playing hurt.  I was at the game last night in Buffalo, and no sooner had I mentioned how Chara gets caught out of position, he attempts to pinch to keep the puck in the zone and the Sabres are off on a 2 on 1, leaving Boychuk hanging out to dry.  That goal made it 2-2 and changed the whole complexion of the game.  I looked up at the jumbotron for the replay, & Chara never even enters the screen.  Is it just me, or does this guy get caught out of position & "pinch" at the worst times in games?

I almost dread the powerplay with Z at the point because it's a puck bobble away from an opponent's breakaway.  If it wasn't for this guy's freakish size & reach, he would be considered an average NHL defenseman, IMO.

that pinch leading to a 2 on 1, pretty sure it was hamilton. not chara

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I disagree.  The 3rd and 4th goals may have been kept out by a better goalie.

Integral word to this thought.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

Integral word to this thought.

Well, it didn't happen nor can it be replayed to find out, so it would be foolish to say "would have". 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I think all 3 goals in the 3rd could possibly have been stopped. The one where he tried to pass to Peverly in front of the net (with 4 men behind the goal line) was one that Rask (and Thomas) would normally push to the corner. The second was another shot where he gave the rebound right in front. I've grown very accustomed to B's goalies steering those type of pucks to the side. Khudobin left them right in front. The last one? I think that shot should be stopped 98 times out of 100. I chalk them up to inexperience. Khudo wasn't the reason they lost, but he certainly didn't hold the fort in the 3rd.

All in all, poor team effort in the 3rd.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Absolutely right, Goalie gets paid to make the initial save and if the defense isn't their to help clean it up they are out of postion or not backchecking. If Ference was paying attention on the goal off his skate then Khudobin wouldn't be discussed as part of the problem last night.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Absolutely right, Goalie gets paid to make the initial save and if the defense isn't their to help clean it up they are out of postion or not backchecking. If Ference was paying attention on the goal off his skate then Khudobin wouldn't be discussed as part of the problem last night.

Generally I would agree with you on this point San Dog but Khudobin seems to have a nasy habit of kicking the puck past his collapsing Dmen and right to the opposing players in the slot or on the faceoff dot. Not a good habit and it cost him the third goal last night (I think it was the third).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Generally I would agree with you on this point San Dog but Khudobin seems to have a nasy habit of kicking the puck past his collapsing Dmen and right to the opposing players in the slot or on the faceoff dot. Not a good habit and it cost him the third goal last night (I think it was the third).

And you have been able to determine this based upon his four games in a Boston jersey?  How many times has it happened? 

There was a big rebound from the second goal last night, but he didn't kick it out past the defensemen.

1st goal:  Ference

2nd goal:  Khudobin

3rd goal:  Khudobin

4th goal:  Ference

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20122013,2,197&lang=en

The 3rd goal Krejci turns it over and doesn't hustle back to cover anyone, Just sloppy!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

And you have been able to determine this based upon his four games in a Boston jersey?  How many times has it happened? 

There was a big rebound from the second goal last night, but he didn't kick it out past the defensemen.

1st goal:  Ference

2nd goal:  Khudobin

3rd goal:  Khudobin

4th goal:  Ference

Actually, yes he has done this every game I have seen him play...which, in fact, has been all four games. So, based on my observation of his play, he does seem to have this habit. I would venture to guess he will do so again the next game he plays as well....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

As discussed elsewher, Chara may be fading to a "good" D rather than his elite status. Seidenberg is doing no better, and this habit of behind the back passes spells trouble every time. Ference needs to go. Johnson is Ok, but perhaps now is Krug's time to move up. Krug's speed could balance Chara's lack, and Hamilton needs to play his game rather than observe bad habits. In addition Peter needs to find some 3rd or 4th line scoring capability Skating keeps the games close, but scoring is the only way to win, and Thornton does not add any skill whatever.

25. This post has been removed.