Why does it take so long to sign Marchand????????????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Re: Why does it take so long to sign Marchand????????????

In Response to Re: Why does it take so long to sign Marchand????????????:
    In '08-09, Parise racked up 45 goals and 49 assists. In '09-10, Parise racked up 38 goals and 44 assists. He just signed one year, $6M. Machand has played 97 regular season games and has 42 career points. How does that translate into $4M?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I understand that the terms of Parise's deal has a lot to do with NJ not trusting he's over injury, and that they will either sign him long-term once they feel better about him, or walk away.

His situation just doesn't compare to a rookie who was a huge catalyst on a surprise Cup winner.  Its just a tough comp to make.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Maybe, what you get from Marchand on the ice is what you get from Marchand off the ice.  Perhaps he's being an "agitator" during these contract negotiations, and PC isn't enjoying the process much.
    Posted by 49-North

At least Marchand doesnt back down when the chips are high! At least Marchand can talk the talk! I think you belong on a Vancouver forum talking about your teams players bud! Once again you talking down about a Bruins player on a Bruins forum is a joke; but I guess that's to be expected when you cheer for a joke of a team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In '08-09, Parise racked up 45 goals and 49 assists. In '09-10, Parise racked up 38 goals and 44 assists. He just signed one year, $6M. Machand has played 97 regular season games and has 42 career points. How does that translate into $4M?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I wouldn't give him 4 mill per yr. I might front load it for this season to pay him 4 mill the 1st yr to reward him for what he's done & what he can do. Give him no more than 2-2.5 per yr for the remaining 2-3 yrs. This gives the B's an opportunity to extend; or let him go to UFA status.

I think it is possible both parties are playing a little hard ball because of the upcoming CBA. I also think this is why Doughty & Weber are taking so long as well. All parties involved are thinking best case scenario's for themselves with nothing concrete as to how the next CBA negotations go. The owners know that Mr. Fehr can & will  (plse excuse the pun) play hardball if he feels the need. Not saying there will be a stoppage. I'm saying that the owners may have made their unknowns known.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

In Response to Re: Why does it take so long to sign Marchand???????????? : I wouldn't give him 4 mill per yr. I might front load it for this season to pay him 4 mill the 1st yr to reward him for what he's done & what he can do. Give him no more than 2-2.5 per yr for the remaining 2-3 yrs. This gives the B's an opportunity to extend; or let him go to UFA status. I think it is possible both parties are playing a little hard ball because of the upcoming CBA. I also think this is why Doughty & Weber are taking so long as well. All parties involved are thinking best case scenario's for themselves with nothing concrete as to how the next CBA negotations go. The owners know that Mr. Fehr can & will  (plse excuse the pun) play hardball if he feels the need. Not saying there will be a stoppage. I'm saying that the owners may have made their unknowns known.
    Posted by nitemare-38

Makes alot of sense nitemare. Have you emailed PC with your idea?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from samsonov. Show samsonov's posts

Never cry sh*t wolf!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigD7. Show BigD7's posts

According to Fluto, Marchard negotiations...

http://spectorshockey.net/wordpress/2011/07/31/sunday-nhl-rumor-roundup-july-31-2011/

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Why does it take so long to sign Marchand???????????? : I wouldn't give him 4 mill per yr. I might front load it for this season to pay him 4 mill the 1st yr to reward him for what he's done & what he can do. Give him no more than 2-2.5 per yr for the remaining 2-3 yrs. This gives the B's an opportunity to extend; or let him go to UFA status.
    Posted by nitemare-38

21 goals, 20 assists and a big playoff run, and you want to pay him as much as Lucic and more than Krejci for the upcoming season.  That's just insane.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

These endless Marchand threads prove how patience might work for the player in these negotiations - the number people are willing to settle on on these boards goes up every week.  If the same pressure affected Chiarelli, the Bruins would be dumping salary to deal with their modest cap penalty.

Unless someone comes in with an offer sheet, Marchand has no play other than waiting.

PC seems to be going trout fishing.  My guess is, that alleviates any pressure uncertainty over Marchand is generating.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Why does it take so long tosignMarchand???????????? : I agree that players and GMs rarely negotiate face-to-face, but certainly, the message would be sent through BM's agent.  PC sends an offer, BM says "that's crap".  Agent says to PC "my client is insulted by that offer". And so on.Posted by 49-North

Not possible for two reasons PC was on vacation and Marchand's agent is also Parise's agent. Two more things that stay the same attorneys are greedy and so is Jeremy Jacobs so Chiarelli has to protect with a lower offer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

Why does it take so long? An agent's priority is as follows: Unrestricted Free Agents. On July 1 the offers are coming from every team to many players in that agent's stable. Rfa's arent going anywhere right now, because it's unlikely anyone will make an offer sheet unti. The dust settles om the UFA market. Restricted Free Agents with arbitration rights. There is a late July, early August deadline to get multiyear deals done, as once they go into that meeting, the playerwill be a UFA in a year or two, dependinf onthe arbitrator's ruling. Teams don't usually want this, so thereare heavy negotioations to settle before the hearings. The RFA's without arbitration rights can wait, unless an offer sheet comes up. Finally, RFA's without arbitration rights. Unless an offer sheet comes in, the player isnt going anywhere, and no deal needs to be made until opening day, so there is no need to rush. Agents will deal with the more pressing matters first. He will get signed. No need to worry or panic over nothing but fear or rumors!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wil39. Show wil39's posts

I don't see Marchand getting $4,000,000 a year, not after 1 season. He may someday, but I can't see it right now. I would imagine he will be in the $2.75 - $3.25 million range. John Druce had 1 great playoff run, and was wildly mediocre from that point forward in his career. Not to mention, PC and the rest of management has to keep an eye on the rest of the roster, there is a lot of work for them to do.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Why does it take so long to sign Marchand???????????? : 21 goals, 20 assists and a big playoff run, and you want to pay him as much as Lucic and more than Krejci for the upcoming season.  That's just insane.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Look NAS; this isn't another B &W situation here! Whether you like the player or not is irrelevent & one of the reasons why you'd never make it as a GM; nor I; nor Stanley! This is a shades of grey situation. DK & Lucic had their time to shine in the past b4 they got re-signed. Lucic is doing quite OK with his last contract & DK got something quite reasonable when his time came up! Agree or not. BM has a little more leverage than these other 2 had because he's coming off a play-off run that he mightly contributed to! He scored 2 goals in a game 7 Stanley Cup final! He scored a HUGE sh goal in game 3 & he also scored a huge goal in game 2 against Philly! Lucic never even scored a goal in the 1st round! I am NOT taking anything away from what these two guys bring & what they have done! I am huge fans of both of them & hope they stay a Bruin for a long time! I am simply stating my arguement & if I was BM's agent it's the arguement I would bring to PC.

The guy made a littlle over $821,000 last season; bonuses included. He scored huge goals in big games & helped a franchise win a championship after 39 yrs. Like the guy/ hate guy is irrelevent at this point. So far he's shown he's a "gamer" remember Claude Lemieux? The whole existance of a franchise is what they do during a play-off run. It's being proven that even with a cap league and shared revenue that a franchise isn't safe! Even a dynasty franchise like the NYI is losing. WHY? You know why. BM should be paid more than Lucic & DK because of what he helped achieve in his contract yr. It's not necessarily Lucic's & DK's fault they're not making more; but what they brought to the table during their negotations isn't the same as what BM & his agent is bringing.

By giving him 4mill in his 1st yr is not much worse than what the B's had to pay Seguin & his total of 28 pts! Whether that's right or wrong is another arguement by itself. It's the nature of the business & if the B's don't want to show that they're a franchise that gets complacement just because they win a championship; they need to show not only the fans; but also players that they pay what's deserved. BM deserves to paid for what he's done & what he's shown he's capable of doing! That's why the contract is front loaded! The layoff for the remainder is a protection in case he lays off in his play. It's the way this business has been run for awhile now. And no matter how many times you look at this in a B & W world you'll never get it!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Seguin didn't earn all that money.  His salary was $900K.  The rest was all in bonus money, which he certainly didn't earn the bulk of considering his numbers.

From the NHL website:

Entry Level players may negotiate for performance bonuses up to a maximum of $850,000 in individual "Schedule A" bonuses per year (maximum of $212,500 per bonus). A player may also be eligible to earn individual "B" bonuses for League-wide excellence, which will, as a general matter, be paid by the League. In addition, a player will be eligible to negotiate with his club "excess" individual "B" bonuses, subject to a maximum aggregate of $2 million in any year.

And from Proice Hockey:

Performance bonuses can be earned at two levels. The first level covers individual benchmarks such as goals scored, goaltender wins, and so on. The maximum a player can earn at this level is believed to be around $850,000 per year. The second level is for much rarer achievements, like winning a major NHL award or ranking among the NHL's top players in a statistical catregory. The maximum a player can earn at this level is estimated at $2 million per year.

---

I think we can agree that Seguin didn't win any major NHL awards or rank among the NHL's top players in any stat category.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

And Nite, I'm not looking at this as "I hate this kid.  Underpay the heck out of him."

I'm looking at this as "21 goals and 20 assists in a rookie year does not translate into a major contract extension for any player."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Okay, Nite, here you go.  Add this up for Seguin and tell me that he made $3.5M!

(thanks to Capgeek)

Schedule A

1) Ice time (aggregate or per game, minimum of 42 GP). Forwards must be in the top six, and defenseman in the top four, for this bonus to be achieved.
    2) Goals, assists, and points. Each category is separate, meaning a player could hit one mark and receive a bonus (hitting all three would result in a higher bonus payout). Forwards need 20 G, 35 A, and/or 60 PTS for this bonus to be achieved, while defenseman need 10 G, 25 A, and/or 40 PTS.
    3) Points per game (minimum of 42 GP). 0.73 PTS/GP for forwards, and 0.49 PTS/GP for defenseman.
    4) Plus/Minus (minimum of 42 GP). Forwards must be in the top three amongst forwards, and defenseman must be in the top three amongst defenseman, for this bonus to be achieved.
    5) All-Rookie Team, and NHL All Star Game. Players selected to the All-Rookie Team, All-Star Game, or those being named the All-Star Game MVP will earn bonuses.

Schedule B

1) Hart, Norris, Selke, Rocket Richard, and Vezina. From first to fifth place, this award will pay out $250,000, $200,000, $150,000, $100,000, and $50,000 respectively.
    2) Lady Byng.
    From first to third place, this award will pay out $150,000, $100,000, and $50,000 respectively.
    3) Jennings.
    Winning this award will earn a $50,000 bonus.
    4) Calder.
    From first to third place, this award will pay out $212,500, $150,000, and $100,000 respectively.
    5) Conn Smythe.
    The winner of this award will receive a bonus of $250,000.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Okay, Nite, here you go.  Add this up for Seguin and tell me that he made $3.5M! (thanks to Capgeek) Schedule A 1) Ice time (aggregate or per game, minimum of 42 GP). Forwards must be in the top six, and defenseman in the top four, for this bonus to be achieved. 2) Goals, assists, and points. Each category is separate, meaning a player could hit one mark and receive a bonus (hitting all three would result in a higher bonus payout). Forwards need 20 G, 35 A, and/or 60 PTS for this bonus to be achieved, while defenseman need 10 G, 25 A, and/or 40 PTS. 3) Points per game (minimum of 42 GP). 0.73 PTS/GP for forwards, and 0.49 PTS/GP for defenseman. 4) Plus/Minus (minimum of 42 GP). Forwards must be in the top three amongst forwards, and defenseman must be in the top three amongst defenseman, for this bonus to be achieved. 5) All-Rookie Team, and NHL All Star Game. Players selected to the All-Rookie Team, All-Star Game, or those being named the All-Star Game MVP will earn bonuses. Schedule B 1) Hart, Norris, Selke, Rocket Richard, and Vezina. From first to fifth place, this award will pay out $250,000, $200,000, $150,000, $100,000, and $50,000 respectively. 2) Lady Byng. From first to third place, this award will pay out $150,000, $100,000, and $50,000 respectively. 3) Jennings. Winning this award will earn a $50,000 bonus. 4) Calder. From first to third place, this award will pay out $212,500, $150,000, and $100,000 respectively. 5) Conn Smythe. The winner of this award will receive a bonus of $250,000.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I didn't read the fine print of TS contract. The # that is shown as a 3.5 cap hit! If he didn't make that? That's great & wonderful. That 1 statement of my arguement is just that. All I'm saying as an individual B's fan what I would; or would not be happy with. BM making 4mill/yr is WAY too much. There's a broad range as to what he'll make. Whether or not I agree is depending on what he gets. There's some on here that say he deserves the 4! I say NO WAY! There's some that say he deserves only 2/yr. I wouldn't complain about that; but I would think that BM better change agents. My idea is to come to a place where both parties would/could be satisfied! If they were to give the guy only 4 in his 1st yr. I wouldn't have a beef. Do I agree completlely? No; but I can see that IF the proceedings were at a stalemate & PC is balking at the front loaded part & 4 is the mark where both parties would agree to it. I'd say yes. If PC is saying 3 & the agent is saying 5. I think 4 is a decent compromise.

There's a ton of BM that I don't like & if ANY of the non-hockey related issues is true. That'll be more for me to dislike; but if he can continue to play his game without the stupid antics & score huge goals? Where do I sign! Just not at 4 per yr! Not yet!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Fourth liner is a little harsh.  He's legit on a second line in the right situation, and is probably best suited for a third line role that isn't the traditional match-up role (though he'd be great at getting under guys' skins) but more like an energy line with some touch.  But for now, he's the second line LW, and if he plays consistently like the guy we saw in the playoffs (most of the playoffs), he'll deserve to build a house there.  But if he wasn't playing with a guy like Bergeron, who is insanely balanced?  He might not last in that role.  I brought this up before but, with the exception of a window in Jan-Feb, he scored at the same rate on the second line as the fourth line.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rockett7. Show rockett7's posts

Because he likes to partY!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Relax everyone. A reliable source has informed me that Brad will be signed by the end of the month, at the latest.

He will supposedly get a two-year deal to coincide with the end of the CBA now in place. The dollars will be approx. $2.2 million per.

Wade Arnott, does not have anything up his sleeve (offer sheet from anyone) and realizes that Marchand will have to wait to cash in. Hopefully, he can continue his timely scoring and hope the new CBA will be a friendly one.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Relax everyone. A reliable source has informed me that Brad will be signed by the end of the month, at the latest. He will supposedly get a two-year deal to coincide with the end of the CBA now in place. The dollars will be approx. $2.2 million per. Wade Arnott, does not have anything up his sleeve (offer sheet from anyone) and realizes that Marchand will have to wait to cash in. Hopefully, he can continue his timely scoring and hope the new CBA will be a friendly one.
    Posted by Wheatskins

A reliable source? Marchand was on TV last night saying things were progressing and he expects to be signed soon..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

In Response to Re: Why does it take so long to sign Marchand???????????? : A reliable source? Marchand was on TV last night saying things were progressing and he expects to be signed soon..
    Posted by rolerhoky19

A reliable source!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://espn.go.com/boston/nhl/story/_/id/6832384/brad-marchand-says-contract-talks-boston-bruins-picking-up

"In what was a wide-ranging interview, Marchand also said that he still remembers the hit Montreal Canadiens defenseman P.K. Subban -- his off-ice friend and teammate with Hockey Canada -- laid on him last season.

"I might take a run at him if I see the chance," Marchand said with a smirk.

Marchand also said that he received congratulatory calls from former teammates and fellow Stanley Cup winners Sidney Crosby and Jonathan Toews."

Can't wait to see him the crazy midget wield through the zone! Wheat, if you say you have a reliable source I beleive you!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Here's the thing.  Marchand is the man.  He is a winner.  We will win if he is on our team.  But remember, he is a fourth liner.  I want him to continue to overachieve, and fully expect him to.  But that is his role, fourth line. Posted by mattc355

I must be confused.  I was under the impression he played the majority of the NHL season on the second line, scoring 20 goals, then played the entire 4 rounds of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, winning a Cup, and scoring what- another 11?  Completely and every minute on the second line.

His role at age 12 was probably to be a Pee Wee, too- doesn't make him a Pee Wee forever.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

observations from this thread. Nitemare, read up on entry level contracts, the bonus cushion, and all that good stuff. Seguin basically made 900K last year. 

anyone who thinks that marchand should/would/could get 4 million doesn't pay attention to the NHL, at all. 

Mattmc doesn't pay attention to the bruins at all. 

Marchand will sign for 2 years, almost a guarantee in my opinion. it will be between 2.2-2.6. I'm not trying to be a know it all, this is very obvious based on what has happened elsewhere in the league

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

observations from this thread. Nitemare, read up on entry level contracts, the bonus cushion, and all that good stuff. Seguin basically made 900K last year.  anyone who thinks that marchand should/would/could get 4 million doesn't pay attention to the NHL, at all.  Mattmc doesn't pay attention to the bruins at all.  Marchand will sign for 2 years, almost a guarantee in my opinion. it will be between 2.2-2.6. I'm not trying to be a know it all, this is very obvious based on what has happened elsewhere in the league
    Posted by juniorfalcon19

You might be right on the amount Marchand receives but I don't think we can base any future transactions on what we've seen so far. I don't think anything is "obvious" this off-season. The deals signed, if anything, have been wildly inconsistent. Most guys have been overpaid and the bargains have been few and far between.

Sections
Shortcuts