Why go first in the Shootout?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from STFXbruins. Show STFXbruins's posts

Why go first in the Shootout?

I really dont understand this, if you have the choice why wouldn't you go second? Besides for the very first shot of the shootout you have the advantage. If it goes past the 3rd round second shotter has the advantage why would you give this up?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Re: Why go first in the Shootout?

In response to STFXbruins's comment:

I really dont understand this, if you have the choice why wouldn't you go second? Besides for the very first shot of the shootout you have the advantage. If it goes past the 3rd round second shotter has the advantage why would you give this up?

Why do you think you have an advantage if you shoot first or second?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Pressure. It is either on the shooter or on the goalie. I don't see an advantage one way or the other honestly.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I haven't checked to see if this is still the case, but historically the team that scores first in the shootout wins more often than not (I don't remember the percentage, but it was high).*  

If you elect to shoot first, and your first shooter is Seguin, you've got a great chance of being the first team to score.

*On a side note, I suspect this number is significantly influenced by the number of shootouts where only one person scores.  Using that statistic may not be the best of ideas, but it is one possible reason for choosing to go first.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from STFXbruins. Show STFXbruins's posts

I feel going second a large advantage and even more so if the shootout goes past the 3rd round. If the 1st person doesnt score that gives you so much momentem.. If you score you win! If the first person scores you still have a chance to keep it going.

If you go first and you score, awesome now the goalie just needs to make a save for the win. If you dont score, terrible now the goalie just needs to make a save to keep the game going.

I dont understand why you wouldnt want second every time

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

I feel going second a large advantage and even more so if the shootout goes past the 3rd round. If the 1st person doesnt score that gives you so much momentem.. If you score you win! If the first person scores you still have a chance to keep it going.

If you go first and you score, awesome now the goalie just needs to make a save for the win. If you dont score, terrible now the goalie just needs to make a save to keep the game going.

I see what you're saying.  I just don't know if, statistically, there is an advantage.

Seguin is one of the best shootout guys in the league.  Maybe CJ figures if the B's are up 1-0 after the first shot, the pressure is on the opponent.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

I see what you're saying.  I just don't know if, statistically, there is an advantage.

Seguin is one of the best shootout guys in the league.  Maybe CJ figures if the B's are up 1-0 after the first shot, the pressure is on the opponent.

That's exactly the idea I would think. The Bruins also won 2 out 3 shootouts so far.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Because Seguin will score over 50% of the time to kick things off, and Rask is a good goalie.

Doesn't really matter which order they go in though, still need to score, and the goalie needs to make saves.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

How about the fact the team that scores first in the shoot wins it about three quarters of the time.