Why Goal Scoring Is Down

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down

Dupont's column Sunday had a good take on this. I agree with him when he says coaching defense is easier than coaching offense, and today's teams are much better prepared in terms of playing defense.

Maybe eliminating the trapezoid behind the net would get play moving the other way more quickly and create more rushes. Watching the Devils last night, it was plain to see how good Marty Brodeur is at helping his D, which in turn turns the Devils from a team on defense to a team on offense. I didn't like trapezoid when it was implemented, and I still don't like it because it punishes puck-handling goalies.

Some of the goalie equipment is out of hand. The gloves are about the size of a bushel basket. It seems they could be made smaller but still protect the goaltender.

Another way to put more offense in the game would be to change the two-minute "head contact" minors into four-minute penalties, or maybe even a five-minute major. Giroux's shot last night should have put him in the box for four minutes at least. The result: More power-play offense and maybe fewer head shots. It seems worth a try.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The Rangers are one of the worst culprits of clogging D. They have been doing it all year.

In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down : Im not a rangers fan The rangers are playing the Capitals, what did you misunderstand??
    Posted by BruinsNumber4[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]The Rangers are one of the worst culprits of clogging D. They have been doing it all year. In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]
    Didn't they win game 1 of this series while taking only 14 shots? You're right. They're as bad as any team for clogging things up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

The goals are less cause (1) the goalies are much better today then before quicker better coach and better equipment for stopping and not getting your 5 million dollar goalie injured for the season Quick is not 5 mill. goalie yet but next season he will be (2) the ice area is not large enough, players are bigger and clog up the neutral zone, shooting lanes etc. the trap is back and that scares me.

We can worry about the size of players and equipment my suggestion make the rink area larger this will open it and develop more scoring chances. Sometimes watching hockey is like watching a soccer match set up set up kick the ball down the field retrieve and set set up kick the ball down the field. I like watching soccer but not on an ice rink.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsNumber4. Show BruinsNumber4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down : Nothing. They both play the same style is what I meant. And that was not to be taken literally, they both can't lose of course. But if you want offensive hockey to prevail, you'd have to be pulling hard for the Flyers... man that's tough lol.
    Posted by Bisson1[/QUOTE]

I don't mind the way the rangers play, i dont mind teams playing defense. I'm not saying i want games that are 9 to 8 every night either.

clogging up the nutral zone is one thing, what the capitals do is not the same at all IMO. i don't want more teams playing like the capitals which is what my original post was about.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down : I don't mind the way the rangers play, i dont mind teams playing defense. I'm not saying i want games that are 9 to 8 every night either. clogging up the nutral zone is one thing, what the capitals do is not the same at all IMO. i don't want more teams playing like the capitals which is what my original post was about.
    Please elaborate on what it is the Caps are doing that the Rangers aren't. NY are the ones who've been doing it all year. The Caps have only recently started employing this tactic.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]The goals are less cause (1) the goalies are much better today then before quicker better coach and better equipment for stopping and not getting your 5 million dollar goalie injured for the season Quick is not 5 mill. goalie yet but next season he will be (2) the ice area is not large enough , players are bigger and clog up the neutral zone, shooting lanes etc. the trap is back and that scares me. We can worry about the size of players and equipment my suggestion make the rink area larger this will open it and develop more scoring chances . Sometimes watching hockey is like watching a soccer match set up set up kick the ball down the field retrieve and set set up kick the ball down the field. I like watching soccer but not on an ice rink.
    Posted by boborielly224[/QUOTE]

Well, not unless the Kings tear up his current contract.  He's still due to receive $1.7m next year. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Quick is an RFA next year...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Quick is an RFA next year...
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]
    Cap geek says he's UFA after next season(2012-13).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down : Defensemen stand in shooting lanes and block shots all the time, with far less padding.  Forwards routinely hurl their bodies and unprotected faces in front of shots every game.  How can this possibly happen?  The shots must be softer than the ones the goalies face.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]
    The players have more plastic than a Barbie Doll. Very little "hard plastic" is involved in goalie gear. Is there not about 1000 post out there regarding the players gear being too big? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down : The players have more plastic than a Barbie Doll. Very little "hard plastic" is involved in goalie gear. Is there not about 1000 post out there regarding the players gear being too big? 
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]
    Nite, I'm with you on that one too. Nobody is afraid to block shots anymore. I hate the extra foot guards and what-not that players now wear. Bottom line is it's a tough sell to get any player to wear less protection.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsNumber4. Show BruinsNumber4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down : Please elaborate on what it is the Caps are doing that the Rangers aren't. NY are the ones who've been doing it all year. The Caps have only recently started employing this tactic.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

The Caps dont play to win, they play not to lose, which as a hockey fan watching games is a huge difference. tring to minimize mistakes in the playoffs is a given, but they take it a step or to furthur. for one thing they play just like Dale hunter used to play, they are guilty of interference on almost every play, they trap the puck on the boards to delay play, they don't forecheck, they sit on a one goal lead with their best players on the bench. i could go on and on, its terrible hockey

the fact that you think a team coached by dale hunter plays the same as a team coached by "safe is death" john tortorella is insane IMO. maybe i need a better picture of what you hate about the way the rangers play. watching the capitals play drives me nuts.

its pretty sad when its more fun watching the Devils play than the capitals

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Pads can be smaller and still protect the goalies.  It's not rocket science either, but every player will take every competitive advantage he can get. 

There's some truth to asking why skaters don't get killed blocking shots, but it's also true that goalies take a lot more shots, some they don't see and some from odd angles.  But if we keep this to NAS's original photo, I can see no reason why that pad can't lose those extra inches if you just extend the pad in the pants to cover top of the knee.  If that wasn't sufficient, you wouldn't see goalies taught to play in the position Miller's in where the extended pad is protecting the net and leaving the area of the knee that is supposedly so vulnerable wide open to the puck.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down : The Caps dont play to win, they play not to lose, which as a hockey fan watching games is a huge difference. tring to minimize mistakes in the playoffs is a given, but they take it a step or to furthur. for one thing they play just like Dale hunter used to play, they are guilty of interference on almost every play, they trap the puck on the boards to delay play, they don't forecheck, they sit on a one goal lead with their best players on the bench. i could go on and on, its terrible hockey the fact that you think a team coached by dale hunter plays the same as a team coached by "safe is death" john tortorella is insane IMO. maybe i need a better picture of what you hate about the way the rangers play. watching the capitals play drives me nuts. its pretty sad when its more fun watching the Devils play than the capitals
    I didn't say I hate the Rangers. I think you're allowing your hate of Dale Hunter and your love of the Fonz to cloud your judgement. Both teams are employing the same strategies. That's why they played the most boring triple OT game in history. Blaming Hunter and the Caps for the degradation of the game comes off more as sour grapes than anything remotely factual. BTW, you're not the first person to call me insane. Just the first one today.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down : If you can't take the shots, get a quicker glove or get out of the net! I'd be surprised if the average NHL shot was 91MPH.  That's "hardest shot" quality.  Most shots are not full power slap shots.  In fact, very few full power slap shots ever hit the net.  20 years ago, Al Iafrate and Al MacInnis were blasting away at over 100MPH.  I don't recall a slew of injured goalies because the shots were too hard and their gear wasn't good enough.  "Oh, the sticks are too good" is a typical goalie excuse for gaining an edge with overstuffed gear. And if the padding is so high quality, why do most goalies go down like they've been shot when a foward breathes on them? 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    Go on line & type in "average speed of NHL slapshots" NAS. I'm not that far off. 85-92 is the range they give. You want to middle that range? Fine 89mph. I'm not a "big goalie" look at my gear in my profile pic. That pic was taken 2 mos ago with my old Reebok pads that were 34 + 1 @ 12" width. So, I'm even smaller with the "legal" size Baurer's. I never said the sticks are too good. I said they certainly have a difference in the ave speed. These players didn't get the same flex with a piece of hickory, or aluminium that they get now NAS. Do you still play the game? Do you not notice a difference in your shot? If you don't then chances are you didn't have much of a shot to begin with. If you notice a difference than what's wrong with what I said? If the shots are harder & faster, would it not be necessary to add more cushion to take force of the blow? It's not an excuse. It's a fact that's been proven by science. Do some goalie's take it to the extreme? Absolutely. Garth Snow's gear was a joke, but to say goalie's use the stick as an excuse is also on the extreme side.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]Thomas wore the same exact size pads last year as Quick, right down to the plus sizing..I couldn't find a thread complaining about them though.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    Kel. Do your pads have that much overhang above the knee? 
    One thing I'll say to you, because you'll comprehend it a little better. Isn't it funny how the "players" get to increase their protection, their shot & puck control to gain an advantage, but "goalies" are considered cheaters, or babies when they want to do something to help them do their job better. Nothing drives me to my short trip to crazy than people who have double standards. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down : Kel. Do your pads have that much overhang above the knee?  One thing I'll say to you, because you'll comprehend it a little better. Isn't it funny how the "players" get to increase their protection, their shot & puck control to gain an advantage, but "goalies" are considered cheaters, or babies when they want to do something to help them do their job better. Nothing drives me to my short trip to crazy than people who have double standards. 

and now something new to whine about.  you're all such a bunch of babies.

now shut up and get back in the crease.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down : Kel. Do your pads have that much overhang above the knee?  One thing I'll say to you, because you'll comprehend it a little better. Isn't it funny how the "players" get to increase their protection, their shot & puck control to gain an advantage, but "goalies" are considered cheaters, or babies when they want to do something to help them do their job better. Nothing drives me to my short trip to crazy than people who have double standards. 

Being serious, I play pickup and play defense usually.  I block some shots, the skates are way more protective than they used to be and I only get the occasional bruising.  My skates and shin pads and pants haven't become much bulkier, and I don't notice  our pickup goalies looking like the Michelin man with those huge chest protectors like nhl goalies do.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Both you and kel are taking an irrational offense and misinterpreting what was said. No one said that goalies are babies or cheaters. No one blames a goalie for doing anything they can to stop pucks better. What they are saying is the league needs to react so that pucks can still go in the net. If composite sticks made scoring go through the roof and average players turned into brett hull, I would say the league should ban this innovation. (I am in favor of banning composites, actually) Expanded goalie pads have significantly reduced the shooting area. This reduction in shooting area makes it hard to play wide open offence and rely on scoring lots of goals. It is better to defend and wait for a lucky bounce. The league needs to take action and expand the shooting area again by reducing the oversized padding. I also think it needs to eliminate hard plastic "padding" on the rest of the players, which, like extra-wide goalie pads, does nothing to protect and actually serves other purposes. I find it funny that goalies are against reducing the padding. I think the oversized pads reduces the integrity of the position. It takes away some of the athletic ability required to excel at the position, instead players squat in the right spot, hoping for pucks to hit them. Reduced padding would allow truly athletic keepers to stand out from their peers.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

In Response to Why Goal Scoring Is Down:
    [QUOTE]We starting talking about this in a different thread, but wanted it to continue.  In watching the Kings/Blues game today, I saw the perfect example of why goals are down.  Check out this low quality pic I took of a paused net cam. Remember that pads are supposed to keep the goalie from being hurt.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    On the contrary NAS, I think the goaltenders require more padding; particularly the Leaf goaltenders.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]Both you and kel are taking an irrational offense and misinterpreting what was said. No one said that goalies are babies or cheaters. No one blames a goalie for doing anything they can to stop pucks better. What they are saying is the league needs to react so that pucks can still go in the net. If composite sticks made scoring go through the roof and average players turned into brett hull, I would say the league should ban this innovation. (I am in favor of banning composites, actually) Expanded goalie pads have significantly reduced the shooting area. This reduction in shooting area makes it hard to play wide open offence and rely on scoring lots of goals. It is better to defend and wait for a lucky bounce. The league needs to take action and expand the shooting area again by reducing the oversized padding. I also think it needs to eliminate hard plastic "padding" on the rest of the players, which, like extra-wide goalie pads, does nothing to protect and actually serves other purposes. I find it funny that goalies are against reducing the padding. I think the oversized pads reduces the integrity of the position. It takes away some of the athletic ability required to excel at the position, instead players squat in the right spot, hoping for pucks to hit them. Reduced padding would allow truly athletic keepers to stand out from their peers. In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Completely agree with this ^.  I regret that the goalies here are taking offense to this discussion.  I think it takes a lot of courage (and a few loose screws) to play goalie and of course they deserve adequate protection.

But that's not what we're talking about here.  We're talking about padding that is designed to take up space, not protect the goalies.  Surely everyone agrees that this happens sometimes, right?  Everyone is looking for an advantage. 

I agree with Oates that one (of several) factors that are slowing down the game and encouraging the trap is that the spaces to shoot at in the net have declined drastically.  I sure some of that padding is necessary for goalies protection.  I also think that some of it isn't.  The league should take a look at it.  That's all.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down : Please elaborate on what it is the Caps are doing that the Rangers aren't. NY are the ones who've been doing it all year. The Caps have only recently started employing this tactic.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

and all of last season also.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

OMG, you goalie posters are like european football nazi fantatics defending the original rules and regualtions of the game.  Increase the size of the net, caput on the pad size debate and the butterfly goalie technique, and scoring will increase!  

That said it is still is best game in the world.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down : not nearly to the extent it is now
    Posted by stevegm[/QUOTE]

I don't recall how many threads and posts there were last season.  Can you tell me?

Thanks.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down : The players have more plastic than a Barbie Doll. Very little "hard plastic" is involved in goalie gear. Is there not about 1000 post out there regarding the players gear being too big? 

They don't need any hard plastic when they have a Jordan's Furniture sectional strapped to their upper body!

Sections
Shortcuts