Why Goal Scoring Is Down

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down

In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down:
    In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down : How many 2 on 1's have we seen in these playoffs? 
    Posted by kelvana33

The Caps last night had two 2 on 1s and one 3 on 1 from when they tied it up and in the lead.
    They Fd it up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down : You didn't state anything specific. That's the problem. I asked for you to give specific examples of what the Rangers do different and you came back with a nickname for their coach and no real answer as to why they're winning games in which they only take 14 shots. You're acting like you've got a secret that you can't be bothered to share. Sorry that wanting you to explain the basis for your opinion became such a problem. Truth be told, I don't really care. I had just hoped you were going to share some pearl of wisdom but I was wrong. Maybe if I wasn't "insane" I'd be able to get your point. Poor me.
    Posted by dezaruchi

I'll take this one on Dez...what the Caps do differently? Stack 4 guys along the blueline. The Rangers don't. Take some offensive chances, the Caps don't...it seems their entire offense is based on Semin or Ovie hanging high and hoping a blocked shot bounces out to the wing or they can draw a penalty. The Rangers outshot the Caps by 21 shots in game 5. The Rangers tend to activate their DMen on offense. The Caps rarely do. I'm not saying the Rangers aren't one of the defensive collapse teams, they are (it seems they all are now), but the Caps are taking it to a new extreme. I think the point is a valid one. It sure seems like the Rangers at least try to generate some offense, while the Caps have no desire to attempt to get into an offensive stance.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I only read a few posts because I already know what my answer is to the threads question. I totally agree that goalie's equipment has played a factor but scoring chances are at a premium nowadays .......and that has nothing to do with goalie equipment.

Blocked shots is the culprit. What percentage of shots actually get through to the goalie in today's game ? I bet blocked shots and shots that end up missing the net because of bodies in front have bigger numbers then shots that actually get to the goalie in most games. At least that what it seems like.

Everyone and their grandmother is doing it these days. Heck , I even seen Ovechkin do it the other night. Ovechkin !!!! Unbelievable !!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down : Sure, but in each of the photos above, the goalie is deliberately positioning the pad to protect the ice, not the exposed knee.  Miller, holding the post, is driving the side of his pad into the ice in a way that makes his knee vulnerable to a shot, but it protects the five hole, so all good there! The deeper argument here is how equipment is evolving to support particular styles of goaltending.  The long pads with the big side flaps suit guys like Rask or Rinne who don't do the splits, they just drop to their knees and turn their pads perpendicular to the ice so that there's an unbroken 11" high wall covering about 5' of ice without a gap.  Miller on the post illustrates this as well - he isn't preparing his body to make a save; he's stacking his equipment like he's playing Tetris.  So my question becomes should a goalie be able to play any style he wants and expect that he can wear whatever equipment makes that style "safe"?  'Cause that sounds to me like a player turning his back so he can't be legally hit - make yourself vulnerable to get a competitive advantage.
    Posted by Bookboy007

there are size restrictions on the goalie equipment nowadays just not sure what they are

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

It has everything to do with the goalie equipment. The style eliminates chances. The style is used because it works. It works because the shooting area is reduced due to goalie equipment being too large and so it is hard to score. Smaller equipment = easier to slip pucks through = more value in attacking and less success from collapsing = changing style = fun to watch hockey.

I only read a few posts because I already know what my answer is to the threads question. I totally agree that goalie's equipment has played a factor but scoring chances are at a premium nowadays .......and that has nothing to do with goalie equipment. Blocked shots is the culprit. What percentage of shots actually get through to the goalie in today's game ? I bet blocked shots and shots that end up missing the net because of bodies in front have bigger numbers then shots that actually get to the goalie in most games. At least that what it seems like.  Everyone and their grandmother is doing it these days. Heck , I even seen Ovechkin do it the other night. Ovechkin !!!! Unbelievable !!!!!
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down : I'll take this one on Dez...what the Caps do differently? Stack 4 guys along the blueline. The Rangers don't. Take some offensive chances, the Caps don't...it seems their entire offense is based on Semin or Ovie hanging high and hoping a blocked shot bounces out to the wing or they can draw a penalty. The Rangers outshot the Caps by 21 shots in game 5. The Rangers tend to activate their DMen on offense. The Caps rarely do. I'm not saying the Rangers aren't one of the defensive collapse teams, they are (it seems they all are now), but the Caps are taking it to a new extreme. I think the point is a valid one. It sure seems like the Rangers at least try to generate some offense, while the Caps have no desire to attempt to get into an offensive stance.
    Posted by seobrien

OB, I can buy that description of last night's NYR but the team that showed up in the first 4 games was as trap-happy as any team in this year's playoffs. Like I said, they won game 1 while taking only 14 shots. That's not indicative of a team that's taking chances.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

if the bruins were still playing, this NEVER would have been an issue. talk about whining fanbases, way to go bruins fans. accept the fact that they could not get the job done, and stop trying to change the league rules because the bruins offense went silent when they could not have afforded to. move on. blame the pp, one lousy goal could have won that series. should the nhl review pp rules because the bruins lacked in this area? the bruins did not play a good series, the sooner we can accept that, the sooner we can move on. it's a bitter pill to swallow, when you truly believe you were defeated by an inferior team. such is life, get over it. stop blaming the league/pads, if anyones to blame, it's the bruins players and coaches that could not find a way to win with a series against a team they could/should have beaten. let's not do what we chastise other fanbases for doing... you know... WHINING and MAKING EXCUSES. i'm sure the next post will be telling me "you obviously don't understand hockey".  maybe so maybe not, but i do know what sour grapes are.        

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

if the bruins were still playing, this NEVER would have been an issue. talk about whining fanbases, way to go bruins fans. accept the fact that they could not get the job done, and stop trying to change the league rules because the bruins offense went silent when they could not have afforded to. move on. blame the pp, one lousy goal could have won that series. should the nhl review pp rules because the bruins lacked in this area? the bruins did not play a good series, the sooner we can accept that, the sooner we can move on. it's a bitter pill to swallow, when you truly believe you were defeated by an inferior team. such is life, get over it. stop blaming the league/pads, if anyones to blame, it's the bruins players and coaches that could not find a way to win with a series against a team they could/should have beaten. let's not do what we chastise other fanbases for doing... you know... WHINING and MAKING EXCUSES. i'm sure the next post will be telling me "you obviously don't understand hockey".  maybe so maybe not, but i do know what sour grapes are.        
    Posted by adkbeesfan

ADK, I can't agree with you on this one. It would make no difference to me if Boston was still in. I joined in the conversation because NAS provided a nice example of a goalie's extra "protection". My feelings on goalie gear are the exact same as they were last year at this time. In all honesty, I'm likely one of the only posters (along with BadHab) that sees no problem with a tight checking 2-1 playoff game. I don't blame any coach for employing whatever system works as long as it's within the rules. A coaches job is to win. Looking good while doing it is secondary. I know I can honestly say that "sour grapes" have nothing to do with me thinking they could take an inch or 2 off of the blockers and trappers. I'd obviously expect the Bruins goalies to have to deal with the exact same things as everyone else. Either way, cheers!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Posted by adkbeesfan

ADK- you are way off on this post.  This topic has been out here before, and nobody has said anything about goalie equipment being a reason for the B's early exit. In fact, Tuukka has specifically been called out for putting his string-bean frame into the Stay-Puff Marshmellow Suit. A better case could be made that we are whining Blues fans, angry that Quick stole the series.

Get a grip or at least feel free to pass the thread by if it offends and angers you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

every poster on this site is/was completely frustrated that the bruins could not score against the caps. me included. the problem was not the pads or the rules, the bruins did not play well...period. is there anyone here that thinks the bruins best game was topped by the caps? hardly. were the goalies wearing smaller pads when the bruins scored 6 goals a night in nov/dec? i didn't here any complaining then. nope, they were just playing great hockey. that brand of hockey would have sent the caps packing in no time at all. last year they figured out the vaunted lightning trap that frustrated everyone else, because they were playing well. i find it to be a passive aggressive approach that's being used here. you know, the league should take a look at this/that, but noooooo not because the bruins lost. because i want more exciting hockey. i don't buy it. it sounds too much like excuse making, to explain how the bruins could have possibly lost to the caps. if the bruins were playing in a game 6 to win a series tonight, after (5) 1-0 games, and won game 6 1-0, the threads would be about what a great series TT played. i highly doubt we'd be discussing pad size or traps, but rather how good the bruins are playing. just sayin'  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

More absurdity, this time from the Rangers' King Henry:

And the worst one:

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

every poster on this site is/was completely frustrated that the bruins could not score against the caps. me included. the problem was not the pads or the rules, the bruins did not play well...period. is there anyone here that thinks the bruins best game was topped by the caps? hardly. were the goalies wearing smaller pads when the bruins scored 6 goals a night in nov/dec? i didn't here any complaining then. nope, they were just playing great hockey. that brand of hockey would have sent the caps packing in no time at all. last year they figured out the vaunted lightning trap that frustrated everyone else, because they were playing well. i find it to be a passive aggressive approach that's being used here. you know, the league should take a look at this/that, but noooooo not because the bruins lost. because i want more exciting hockey. i don't buy it. it sounds too much like excuse making, to explain how the bruins could have possibly lost to the caps. if the bruins were playing in a game 6 to win a series tonight, after (5) 1-0 games, and won game 6 1-0, the threads would be about what a great series TT played. i highly doubt we'd be discussing pad size or traps, but rather how good the bruins are playing. just sayin'  
    Posted by adkbeesfan

Any time you end a post/chat/conversation with "just sayin'", it immediately removes any ounce of credibility you might have had.

More importantly, I have been talking about the size of the goaltender equipment for many, many years.  We've had discussions here about it also.  Don't tell me what I think or feel.  Don't tell me the reason behind my ideas and thoughts.

Get yourself an original one and post it.  Until then, beat it.

Just sayin'.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Posted by adkbeesfan

I think you're reading too much into this. Yes, if the Bruins were playing there would be more discussion about the games. But since they aren't, the topics to discuss are fewer and far between. Like I said, I'm not discussing this because of "sour grapes". I'm discussing it because this is how I feel about goalie equipment and there's very little else to talk about. Lastly, there were already a number of posters voicing their displeasure for the playoffs long before the Bruins were eliminated. I don't think this just popped up in the 2nd round.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

More absurdity, this time from the Rangers' King Henry: And the worst one:
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Don't be suprised if you start getting strange phone calls at night. Then you get woken up by noises and voices.

Consider yourself warned.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Clearly, the blocker Roloson has on is too big and prevented a goal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Posted by adkbeesfan

I think you're wrong here adk.  The complaints about the trap are coming from all corners of the hockey world.  If you're watching this year's playoffs you must have noticed it as a trend.  Now if the Bruins were the only team doing it and they were winning, maybe you would have less complaints here.  But, the concern over the trap that you read here, or anywhere else, is perfectly valid.  Things are trending that way.  It is a concern.  These playoffs have been boring.  That I know.  You can't tell me I am just imagining it because I am so bitter.  I don't feel bitter about this year at all.  I can't remember the last time I was less upset about the Bruins season ending with a loss.  Maybe last year made me less emotional about it.

But I am not indifferent about watching boring hockey and a terribly boring trend gaining traction in my favorite sport.  The discussion in this thread is legit and valid.  And it is taking place all over the hockey world.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

More absurdity, this time from the Rangers' King Henry: And the worst one:
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Your last pic is it his blocker or pad ?

Anyway,  great pics .  Completely ridiculous.  That extension on those pads is not for protection.  It's to take away space between the legs going down.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

You keep repeating yourself while ignoring everything that has been pointed out to you about the sudden drop in scoring, the sudden league-wide adaptation of the collapse defense, the fact that none of the top-10 scoring teams in the league were able to have success in the playoffs this season where as they always did in the past. You probably won't acknowledge this anyway, but here is a thread started well before the Bruins lost. This was discussing how awful the game were to watch, even though they were Bruins games:

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a0d190bb9-6882-4397-9ce1-e66db723d396Discussion%3a4ab40804-0dd3-4906-a7ce-e11b1b99529d

No, this is not sour grapes. This is honest hockey fans who think this years playoffs are garbage. After the Bruins won using the collapse D, half the league has adapted it for the playoffs. Worse, they are taking it to the extreme, not even trying to attack. Star players, the ones people want to see, are being benched in favour of grinders who will stay in front of their own net and not risk going for a scoring chance. I LOVE hockey, all hockey. But the only series I enjoyed this year (including Bos) was Flyers-Pens. This is a dramatic change from when I would be glued to the set long after the Bruins were out most years.  I want to see Ovechkin play, not Beagle. The league needs to act to open things up by making it easier to score. Right now the only things going in are garbage goals, so the stanley cup is going to be won by luck more than skill. Boring.

Posted by adkbeesfan

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Do you know why this poor fellow and his friends are standing if front of their own net? Because there is no point in shooting at the other net, because the goalie's pads are too big.

Clearly, the blocker Roloson has on is too big and prevented a goal.
    Posted by kelvana33

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down : Your last pic is it his blocker or pad ?
    Posted by BsLegion

That's his leg pad! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to "Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down":
    Do you know why this poor fellow and his friends are standing if front of their own net? Because there is no point in shooting at the other net, because the goalie's pads are too big. In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down : Posted by OatesCam
    That's weak.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

And to show I'm opposed to every goaltender wearing these ludacris pads:

Is Thomas playing net or waiting for the tow line from a Nautique?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down : That's his leg pad! 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

It has to be there to protect all the parts of his body from the mask down, NAS.  What are you, a barbarian?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down : It has to be there to protect all the parts of his body from the mask down, NAS.  What are you, a barbarian?
    Posted by Bookboy007

I thought that's what the pads in the pants were for!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down : I thought that's what the pads in the pants were for!
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

That's just to impress the ladies.

Sections
Shortcuts