Why Goal Scoring Is Down

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down

Love the shot of Gretz with the puck right against the net so no one could see it. Such incredible hands and savvy. That's hockey.

Another change I would make (that won't happen because it would mean less jobs) is reduce the roster by 1. In the early 80's the roster was 17. I think this promotes playing the stars a bit more, and makes players get tired quicker. Tired players make mistakes which = excitement and breakdown in systems. We don't need 4 lines of players, 3 is enough.

In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down:

Posted by lucdufour

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I think his official position is either concussion-giver or human puck-blocking post. In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down :
    Posted by OatesCam

I cannot wait to see what NAS has up his sleeve tonight.

This is fun. This is why I come in here. LOL.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Such big pads...

We are not athletic. And finally, yours truly. Taken 2 years ago at the ripe age of 34.
    Posted by kelvana33

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

"this is an unprecedented turn of events, and I DON'T LIKE IT"... oatescam. if that'
    s not whining, i don't know what is (are you actually stomping your feet and having a tantrum?-that's what i'm picturing). the nhl should keep YOUR feelings in mind when making ALL decisions. my guess is the teams that are still playing (and their fans) find nothing wrong with what's happening this post season. i have ranger-fan friends and devils-fan friends that seem to think these playoffs are just great. wonder why? i betting it's because their favorite team is still playing. there in lies the difference in perspective. the simple fact remains that if the bruins were still playing, there would be ZERO talk of how horrible this years playoffs are. we'd all be happy as a clams... you know this to be true.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

just to be sure, i visited nhl.com to read all the "reasons for this years horrible playoffs"- surprisingly i found not one piece addressing this so-called "hot topic"- that threatens to ruin the game. i'll keep looking though

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Plenty of places around discussing it:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/26/poll-does-the-nhl-need-to-address-the-decline-in-goal-scoring/

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Wow, that's quite a bunch of whining Bruins fans.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I personally don't think anyone is whining about scoring because the Bruins are out of it. There was actually some discussion about during the series and during the season if I remember correctly. I think it's quite obvious to anyone who has watched any hockey this season that the scoring is down, the game is getting dumbed down and I'm real concerned that the teams doing it are being rewarded for it.

No whining here, just giving NAS and OatesCam an education,HAHA, and we've resorted to visuals. And we are having a heck of a time doing it!

P.S, I know exactly what pics NAS will be bringing to class tonight!!!!!

And I am ready for him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

We are not athletic. And finally, yours truly. Taken 2 years ago at the ripe age of 34.
    Posted by kelvana33

How did you learn to use photoshop so well?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down : How did you learn to use photoshop so well?
    Posted by BadHabitude

You have no idea how tough it was to find another goalie half as good looking!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Yeah, I've seen it everywhere across the hockey world.  I suppose that the fans of teams 1. using the trap; and 2. winning in the playoffs, will be later to come around, but still it is an undeniable trend.  No reason to focus on the Bruins at all.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Hey Kel, I liked how you shaped up the save with the glove high in the air.  Auditions for golaie Vancouver are now open. 

Enjoyed the commentary and visuals throughout the thread. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

it all just seems a bit self-serving because of the timing i guess. when bruins fans complain that the league needs to change its rules to increase scoring a week after the bruins had trouble scoring, it just seems like whining. i hate whining. i've seen discussions on this site refering to goalies pads, yes. but like i've said, the timing of it all seems like excuse making. the members of this site routinely chastise fans of other teams for doing just this. yet here we are, complaining that the league needs to change because of a month of "boring hockey". there's been great hockey (pitt/phi, nj/fla, nsh/det) and not-so-great hockey (any of the nyr or caps games). we're just focused on the not-so-great hockey, because that's what we watched for 7 games ending the bruins season.  if the bruins were still playing and say the canucks fans were calling for league-wide changes after losing- every poster on this site would be calling them babies.  people here are acting like this "trap style" is unbeatable. the fact remains if TT was better, the pp was better, the forwards were better, the coaches were better(in figuring out how to beat the trap)... this conversation would not be taking place now. i bet 49 north is getting a kick out of this...  
    Posted by adkbeesfan

Have you noticed that there has been no mention of the Caps goaltender?

This isn't about the trap.  It's about the absurd size of the goaltender's pads across the league.  During the regular season, we discuss B's games.  During the off season, we discuss other hockey items.  The title of this thread is "Why Goal Scoring Is Down".  Are you here to deny that goal scoring is down?  Would you say it's up? 

What exactly are you trying to get across here?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i feel it's too small a sample(1 month off playoffs) to make definitive statements about the state of the nhl. if over the next 2 or3 years the trend continues, address the issue. i just feel that we as bruin fans are hyper-focused on this because, it's what we watched eliminate our beloved bruins. now if during the conference finals and cup finals the goal scoring increases, does it mean that everyone here was crazy? no. it's too small a sample size. if we just looked at the bruins play in nov/dec, why not suggest that goalies need BIGGER pads? why wasn't this the case? too small a sample size. btw, i can dig up articles that say the bruins only won the cup because of the officials. does that make it valid? visiting nhl.com, and watching nhl net, i don't see the concern for the state of the league like is being addressed here. watch these conference finals/cup finals be the most entertaining ever, then where does this conversation go? the painting is not yet finished, when it's complete, i'll have the whole picture, and better be able to make a judgement on how "pretty" it is.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

side point... weren't these exact same size pads used during last years playoffs? i didn't hear any complaints then- on this board or from anywhere else. you know... "the only reason TT won the con smythe was his pads are sooooo big". see how the timing of it all kinda matters? anyways, i'll continue to watch and enjoy the playoffs with friends who still have teams playing. funny, they think this years playoffs are awesome, wonder why?  man i hope these next few weeks are lights out, so i can do everyones favorite thing on this board... say "i told you so". just kidding, though the temptation would be great. last post on the subject, talk amongst yourselves, thanks for keeping it civil.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

adk, I see where you're coming from. But as someone has pointed out since the lockout the goal totals have trended down. Its not in reference to just this playoffs.

The fact that goalies look like SUMO wrestlers or the Michelin Man when they are not even topping out 190 lbs is plain ridiculous. I weigh 160, am not that big, but if you strap me into goalie gear I'd look like a monster in the net. Add a spec of flexibility and athleticism and that makes any routine shot nearly impossible to put past me.

The leg pads are clearly larger than they need to be, no goalies legs are what? 10" 12" wide? Not sure of exact numbers, seen a ton of them thrown around. For a beer league ok, because the goalies aren't as athletic, but for professional sports? Should be like the ban on aluminum bats in the MLB.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

i feel it's too small a sample(1 month off playoffs) to make definitive statements about the state of the nhl. if over the next 2 or3 years the trend continues, address the issue. i just feel that we as bruin fans are hyper-focused on this because, it's what we watched eliminate our beloved bruins. now if during the conference finals and cup finals the goal scoring increases, does it mean that everyone here was crazy? no. it's too small a sample size. if we just looked at the bruins play in nov/dec, why not suggest that goalies need BIGGER pads? why wasn't this the case? too small a sample size. btw, i can dig up articles that say the bruins only won the cup because of the officials. does that make it valid? visiting nhl.com, and watching nhl net, i don't see the concern for the state of the league like is being addressed here. watch these conference finals/cup finals be the most entertaining ever, then where does this conversation go? the painting is not yet finished, when it's complete, i'll have the whole picture, and better be able to make a judgement on how "pretty" it is.   
    Posted by adkbeesfan

You, again, fail to realize that this isn't a "goal scoring is down in these here playoffs" discussion.

This is a "the B's are out, so let's discuss general hockey topics" discussion.

You need more years to review the goal scoring trend?  Let's look at the past five.

Players with 40 or more goals

2012:  4

2011:  5

2010:  7

2009:  8

2008:  10

'05-06 had five 50 goal scorers.  This year only four cracked 40.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

side point... weren't these exact same size pads used during last years playoffs? i didn't hear any complaints then- on this board or from anywhere else. you know... "the only reason TT won the con smythe was his pads are sooooo big". see how the timing of it all kinda matters? anyways, i'll continue to watch and enjoy the playoffs with friends who still have teams playing. funny, they think this years playoffs are awesome, wonder why?  man i hope these next few weeks are lights out, so i can do everyones favorite thing on this board... say "i told you so". just kidding, though the temptation would be great. last post on the subject, talk amongst yourselves, thanks for keeping it civil.
    Posted by adkbeesfan

Last year, we were sort of busy talking about the B's winning the Cup.  This year, we don't have that luxury.  This is a general hockey topic.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Posted by kelvana33

Lovey, where did we put that platter for serving tea?

Oh, that dang Kelvana stole it and used it to cover up his five hole!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

I've been away, but this was just published on SI.com
    http://nhl-red-light.si.com/2012/05/10/shotblocking-trend-draws-fire/?sct=nhl_t11_a0 

I disagree with the conclusions drawn from the article, but it has some pretty good insight: Heres a good quote from it:

A day later, Roy MacGregor wrote in The Globe and Mail about the dominance of goaltending in the playoffs, which he acknowledged was nothing new. “What is new, however, is how the game is being played. It is so defence oriented that defencemen could check their e-mail before any opposing forward checks them. Whereas once a team might feature a single good shot blocker – hello, Bob Goldham – teams like the New York Rangers now insist on everyone trying to block every shot. The old mantra of ‘Let the goalie see the puck!’ has been replaced by new thinking that says it doesn’t matter if the goalie sees nothing, and if a puck should somehow get through, it will be stopped by one of two critical factors: a highly athletic goaltender’s sharp reflexes or, just as importantly, the goaltender’s size.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down : Lovey, where did we put that platter for serving tea? Oh, that dang Kelvana stole it and used it to cover up his five hole!
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

That is so not where I thought you were going!

Hey, just sharing the some glove love.

Well done.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Even TT takes up multiple bus seats!

Check out where TT's thigh/elbow is in the photo and how much additional higher his leg pad is. Provides good protection on the bus as well.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down : You, again, fail to realize that this isn't a "goal scoring is down in these here playoffs" discussion. This is a "the B's are out, so let's discuss general hockey topics" discussion. You need more years to review the goal scoring trend?  Let's look at the past five. Players with 40 or more goals 2012:  4 2011:  5 2010:  7 2009:  8 2008:  10 '05-06 had five 50 goal scorers.  This year only four cracked 40.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

That's a meaningless stat.  How many total goals were scored in those seasons?
    So what if you don't have that many 40 goal scorers, the math says you could have 10 times as many 35 goal scorers.

So how many goals per season?

What do you think of this guy's pads?
    They look pretty high to me

or this guy
    holy mackeral!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/11/tippett-on-shot-blocking-i-dont-know-if-its-good-for-the-game-its-good-for-winning/

Interesting stats which show a direct correlation between blocking shots and winning playoff games.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/11/tippett-on-shot-blocking-i-dont-know-if-its-good-for-the-game-its-good-for-winning/ Interesting stats which show a direct correlation between blocking shots and winning playoff games.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Great link dez.  Perfectly to the point in this discussion.  The same could be said for huge goalie gear and stacking the blue line 4-across --  good for winning; bad for hockey.

I'm not suggeesting any radical changes, just acknowledging some of the less-then-attractive changes out there.

Sections
Shortcuts