Why Goal Scoring Is Down

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down

I have no problem with goalies stopping everything with athleticism. It's fun to watch. Tim Thomas is possibly the most exciting Bruin, and some of his spectacular saves are some of my favorite hockey moments. Scoring is part of the equation, but it's the declining excitement level that's killing me. I want to see exciting plays. If the goalie makes a miracle save to stop it, even better. I just want to stop the practice of a team allowing 45 low percentage shots and goalies standing static and pucks bouncing off big pads. Without the big pads we see defending skaters aggressively defending attackers to prevent some shots (because allowing 40+ will mean goals against), attackers sometimes beating them with skills, and plays made trying to score. If the goalie then makes a save, great.

I don't want to see the removal of offsides, that's garbage hockey. Cherry-picking is not fun to watch.

In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down:
    [QUOTE]Carving down the goalie equipment is all well and good and has been done before, but remember, by making the equipment smaller and lighter will also make the goalie move quicker and be more agile. If the mission is to increase scoring, i would look at the gameplay it self. Looking to make more scoring opportunities and more shots will result in more goals. Like mentioned in the last post, using the full 2 minutes on the pp. Think of all the additional scoring chances we would see if there was no offsides, that one tweak alone would make Wheeler put up Crosby-like numbers, not to mention keeping the play going. How about making icing a delay of game penalty?
    Posted by MDsizzle[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

[QUOTE]Okay lets end this once and for all. Heres what i propose. Goalie Equiment: I agree with the thought of bringing the athletic part back to the position. Why I feel they are great athletes, the butterfly style and the equipment have goaltenders relying too much on positioning. We are not going to get rid of the butterfly style and force them to rely more on their athleticsism unless we tail back the equioment. so heres what i got. pads - no more than 10 inches in width.(was once 12 now is 11)              -   dont care how tall you are you can have no more than a plus 1 sizing tham what you wear. glove/blocker - make the glove a glove, no blocker near the wrist area. no baskets either, come up with an ideal length Blocker can be trimmed up to 2 inches at the top and an inch width wise. Chest protectors - Dont need all the bulk for protection, dont need a bullet proof vest either. i'm sure the good people at Vaughn and RBK can come up with a happy medium, and they will once the rules are changed, i'd focus more on the width near the shoulder area. Players: Get rid of the body armour weaponry like equipment i.e shoulder,elbow and shin pads. Shin pads i would focus on width. Of course you'd have to do soemthing about the seamless glass or we'll have some seperated shoulders. Go back to the old style with new look. Also, this will help keeping our best players safe and will reduce the amount of concussions as i feel this is the #1 reason for them. - Players are not allowed to leave their feet to block shots. Or, maybe just defenseman are. You talk about bringing athleticism back to goaltenders well i'm tired of seeing forwards on their stomachs blocking shots in the defensive zone. Blocking shots is an "art" you say. So is goaltenders playing the puck but we limited that didnt we. Forwards are their to score, I like their chances alot more if their on their feet and skating towards the oppsoitions net, not lying down in front of their own. If a forward sprawls to black a shot, 2 minute minor. - Make players serving penalties serve the whole two minutes even if the oppsosition scores. This will tail back some of the holding,slashing etc.. - Come up with something that rewards the team that scores the most goals during the season. i dont like points handed out for this I'm thinking a additional draft pick at the end of the first round (sandwich pick??) or maybe even hosting the all-star game the next year, or perhaps even an extra 2 million is awarded to that teams cap the following year...just some ideas.....Your thoughts OatesCam, NAS, I beleive I have negotiated in good faith here. Damn I'm good.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

some good points, i agree with most of them, just not sure where your going with the goalie's chest protector? i still get shots in the chest that i sure as heck can feel and that's just a good beer league.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

add to my previous post about skaters equipment, get rid of the clear guards some guys are wearing on their skates.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I guess you guys are right the thread was on pads and only pads.  So you win, I will just sit there and wonder on how many rules need to be changed to enhance scoring when the answer is as simple as geometry.  The denial is simply folly.  

BTW Kel, players laying on the ice as a penalty was simply well put.  Referees would have the discretion but it is better than the "rope a dope" hockey watched this preseason.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Goal Scoring Is Down : some good points, i agree with most of them, just not sure where your going with the goalie's chest protector? i still get shots in the chest that i sure as heck can feel and that's just a good beer league.
    Posted by fourrings[/QUOTE]

I do too, and the ones they wear in the NHL are nothing like the ones we have, they have much more padding, especially in the collarbone area and the arms, obviously because the shots are that much harder but I think if the NHL got together with the manufacters and explained to them theyd liek them to cut back on size without compromising safety they could come up with something.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Here's what I propose:

Make the equipment fit.

Sections
Shortcuts