Why I am a little concerned right now

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number4forever. Show Number4forever's posts

Why I am a little concerned right now

I don't know about you, but didn't we expect more of a 2008/09-type Bruin season this year, especially with the team's off-season moves (Seguin, Horton, Savard back)?  Yet we sit at 38 pts after 32 games (identical to last year) 12 pts below the 08/09 team at this time.  Clearly, not time to push any panic buttons...but the concern I have is that not many expected the production of the 08/09 team, whereas this year is different.  This is working against this team's psyche/moral...and I can see frustration is setting in (at all levels of this organization) coming in at the critcal 2nd half....not good.  Thoughts anyone?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

Re: Why I am a little concerned right now

In Response to Why I am a little concerned right now:
    I don't know about you, but didn't we expect more of a 2008/09-type Bruin season this year, especially with the team's off-season moves (Seguin, Horton, Savard back)?  Yet we sit at 38 pts after 32 games (identical to last year) 12 pts below the 08/09 team at this time.  Clearly, not time to push any panic buttons...but the concern I have is that not many expected the production of the 08/09 team, whereas this year is different.  This is working against this team's psyche/moral...and I can see frustration is setting in (at all levels of this organization) coming in at the critcal 2nd half....not good.  Thoughts anyone?
    Posted by Number4forever

After watching most of their games this year, there is alot to be concerned  about with this team. I'm concerned  about the fact, our top 3 centers have all suffered major head injurys recently, our defense is highly immobile,and can't make a solid, quick first to our forwards, we do not have very good team speed,and the coach is too stubborn to try and change his game plan. There are also, way too many FAT cats on this team mailing it in. I can name 4, players on this team who come to play every night...Recchi, Marchand,Bergeron and Thomas, aside from TT , alot of these guys have forgotten what got them to the NHL!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number4forever. Show Number4forever's posts

In Response to Re: Why I am a little concerned right now:
    In Response to Why I am a little concerned right now : After watching most of their games this year, there is alot to be concerned  about with this team. I'm concerned  about the fact, our top 3 centers have all suffered major head injurys recently, our defense is highly immobile,and can't make a solid, quick first to our forwards, we do not have very good team speed,and the coach is too stubborn to try and change his game plan. There are also, way too many FAT cats on this team mailing it in. I can name 4, players on this team who come to play every night...Recchi, Marchand,Bergeron and Thomas, aside from TT , alot of these guys have forgotten what got them to the NHL!
    Posted by Beezfan4life

Agree...well said

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"but the concern I have is that not many expected the production of the 08/09 team, whereas this year is different."

That is where my frustration is I expected more offensive production or at least wins with more consistent effort. Two speedy wingers and another young Kampfer like defenseman would give a jolt to some very comfortable players and a coach on this team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

IMO we are all concerned, but after Peter's support cross Claude off of the replace list. Hopefully Cam and Peter are pushing Claude to make his "system" more flexible.The lineup for tonight is not bad on paper, let's see how they do on ice. IMO Recchi has lost too much to be effective which will still limit Bergeron. Savvvy needs to step-up his game. Looch and Horton can really help if they BOTH commit. Kreji may inject some lost magic. Wheeler's improved play should help, and Ryder needs to stay involved for more than 2 minutes a game. Without Marchand the 4th line could be a disaster. Defense should be OK, not great, but OK.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

"but the concern I have is that not many expected the production of the 08/09 team, whereas this year is different." That is where my frustration is I expected more offensive production or at least wins with more consistent effort. Two speedy wingers and another young Kampfer like defenseman would give a jolt to some very comfortable players and a coach on this team.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Or maybe some quality time, watching the game from a different angle....like the press box!..........that would hopefully be an eye opener for some of these slugs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

We are at least 1 NHL proven top 4 Dman away from being a contender.  It all starts on the back end.  Goaltending is fine but our D are not.  Less time in the D zone, a cleaner breakout, more blocked shots, better positioning and rebound control, etc.  All these little things that start in your own end lead to more time in the other zone.  These days, it feels like a struggle just to get possession of the puck in the other teams end.

Why I worry is this has been a need for multiple years now and has yet to be addressed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

We are at least 1 NHL proven top 4 Dman away from being a contender.  It all starts on the back end.  Goaltending is fine but our D are not.  Less time in the D zone, a cleaner breakout, more blocked shots, better positioning and rebound control, etc.  All these little things that start in your own end lead to more time in the other zone.  These days, it feels like a struggle just to get possession of the puck in the other teams end. Why I worry is this has been a need for multiple years now and has yet to be addressed.
    Posted by misterpaulo

Exactly.......the last time we saw this was 08-09, and IMHO, nobody in the league did it better.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Problem is that it is only 1 piece but such a big piece and more difficult to get in the middle of the season.  Doesn't even have to be an offensive type like (ex:  Kaberle).  I remember a time last summer I was really hoping the B's made a push for Willie Mitchell.  

Chara is the only true top 4 we have.  I thought Seids was but hasn't played like it this year.  Bochuck is the next closest but still some major flaws in his defensive game and hasn't built on what I though was a good season last year.  After that (Ference, Stuart, McQuaid, Kampfer) are 5-6 guys at best and healthy scratches on the real good teams.

Look at these teams and then tell me where the B's top 4 would rank. 
    Detroit = Lidstrom, Rafalski, Stuart and Kronwall
    Chicago = Keith, Campbell, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson (was even better last year)
    Philly = Pronger, Timmonen, Carle, Cobourn (throw in Meszaros and O'Donnell as your bottom pair - not bad at all)

I could keep going on and on.  After a quick glance at other teams D, I would consider Atlanta, St. Louis, LA, Vancouver, Calgary, Carolina, TB, Pitt, SJ and PHX with a better D core than what is in Boston.  Maybe it is the "grass is greener" syndrome for me but I just don't see the talent on our backend compared to allot of other teams with playoff aspirations.

Sections
Shortcuts