Why I don't want the Bruins to make a blockbuster trade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Why I don't want the Bruins to make a blockbuster trade

Ok, I know there are a lot of fans out there clamoring for a blockbuster trade. Trust me, I would love it if this were the old NHL where teams were dumping top players to dump salaries, but those days are gone. There is a cap now and it's a pain. In the new NHL, you need to build through the draft so you can stay under the salary cap with players that are outperforming their contracts (think the Patriots).  

If the Bruins start trading away their young players and draft picks for rentals, you have just put all your cards into the next 2 years vs the next 5 years if you built through the draft with cheaper players. The way the current Bs salary cap is, the Bs can't really add 2 high priced players and not have cap problems in 2 years and be forced to start all over.

While I'd love to see Richards and Bogosian in Bs sweaters and think they would make this team as a top tier contender (I already think they are), I also know that what it would take to get these players would completely deplete the farm system for the next 5 years as we would give away young prospects and high picks. Additionally, anyone who watches the playoffs knows that it's a crap shoot.

I'd rather a 5-6 year window (or even longer if you draft well) than a 2 year window to win the cup. I'm not one who demands a cup right now since I know that only a few years ago this team wasn't that good and I'm reasonable. What I'd like to see is the Bs get a couple cracks at it over the next few years and that's what I think will happen if we don't make a big move mortgaging the future.

If you notice the teams at the bottom of the league are teams that overpaid for players (Ottawa, Calgary, Devils, Rangers) or teams that don't want to, or can't spend (NYI, Edmonton). It's wise for the Bruins to continue to build through the draft and not give up any crucial piece in the future. (Saying that, a trade involving the Toronto pick for a player on an entry level deal still makes sense or if you can pry Parise away)

I love watching a competitive team that has a chance for the cup year in and year out and I think the Bs are at the beginning of that run. I just don't think mortgaging the future for a highly paid vet with little ability to outperform his contract or one on an expiring contract is a wise move for a team with a lot of good pieces for the future.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Re: Why I don't want the Bruins to make a blockbuster trade

Savard is out but the Bruins are a healthy squad with good depth. The next two months is toughest in hockey this is where our back up goalie will need to see more appearnaces. Hamil Seguin and Caron are prospects who need the NHL experience just in case. If any changes occur it is not my call. I am just a die hard Bruins fan waiting for the play-offs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

In Response to Re: Why I don't want the Bruins to make a blockbuster trade:
    [QUOTE]Great post nrguy..  i have always been a fan of watching young prospects grown and get better... plus in two years this team is going to be old and the nhl sure isnt slowing down..having a plethora of young, skilled hockey players is a luxury in todays cap world..  i totally agree that the playoffs can be somewhat of a crap shoot, let the young kids play and learn during this stretch to the playoffs and i think the bruins will be better for it , both now and in the future!
    Posted by newenglandah[/QUOTE]

The Bruins are in the bottom half of the NHL when it comes to average age while they have the oldest player in the NHL in the lineup.  The Bruins Core (minus Chara) is all players 26 or younger.  They will not have an old team in 2 years. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

In Response to Re: Why I don't want the Bruins to make a blockbuster trade:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why I don't want the Bruins to make a blockbuster trade : The Bruins are in the bottom half of the NHL when it comes to average age while they have the oldest player in the NHL in the lineup.  The Bruins Core (minus Chara) is all players 26 or younger.  They will not have an old team in 2 years. 
    Posted by Orrthebest[/QUOTE]

Excellent point.  Ignoring Thomas at 36 and Recchi at 43, the B's are relatively young.  Chara, Savard, and Thornton are all 33, Ference is 31, and Ryder is 30 but he won't be here next year.  Seidenberg is 29, Boychuk and Campbell are both 27.  Consider that Bergeron is 25 (sick how young he still is), Lucic is 22, Seguin is 19, Krejci is 24, Horton is 25, Wheeler is 25 (if he stays), Stuart is 24 (if he stays), and all have pretty solid NHL experience.  McQuaid is 24, Marchand is 22, Kamfer is 22, and they're proving they can play at the top level.  There's enough youth for PC to flip picks and/or roster players for a scoring winger or a puck moving defenseman ... or add more youth through the draft.  The B's are in a unique position to build for the future and have a current team which is showing the right attitude and is playing good tough hockey.  I'm very curious to see what happens over the next couple of weeks, and I hope PC is respectful/careful around the chemistry which seems to be growing tenfold.  I would make Stuart, Wheeler and Paille available but not many more from the current roster - Ryder's playing well and we'll be free of his $4M next year.