Why I hate these NHL playoffs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Why I hate these NHL playoffs

This current NHL playoffs is the most boring Stanley cup finals run I’ve ever seen. I didn’t enjoy the Bruins round 1, and to be honest, I’m tempted to play Minecraft instead of watching this 3rd overtime of the Caps vs Rangers series… it is just that boring.

The main problem is what it’s always been: boring defensive hockey is beating skilled offensive hockey.  Alexander Ovechkin is literally getting benched so Jeff Ward can show off his shot-blocking skills. I want you all to grab a piece of paper, and write down the top 30 skilled offensive hockey players in the NHL. How many of these players are in the Stanley cup finals this season with 8 teams left to play??

1.       Sidney Crosby

2.       Evgeni Malkin

3.       Steven Stamkos

4.       Alexander Ovechkin (getting benched/ low zone collapse)

5.       Corey Perry

6.       Henrik Sedin

7.       Daniel Sedin

8.       Claude Giroux

9.       Jonathen Toews

10.   Ilya Kovalchuk

11.   Pavel Datsyuk

12.   Ryan Kesler

13.   Zach Parise

14.   Henrick Zetterberg

15.   Martin St. Louis

16.   Eric Staal

17.   John Tavares

18.   Rick Nash

19.   Jason Spezza

20.   Phil Kessel

21.   Loui Eriksson

22.   Marian Hossa

23.   Anze Kopitar (low zone collapse)

24.   Patrick Kane

25.   Jarome Inginla

26.   Brad Richards (low zone collapse)

27.   Marion Gaborik (low zone collapse)

28.   Patrick Sharp

29.   Nicklas Backstrom (low zone collapse)

30.   Joe Thornton

7 of 30, and the teams that house these 7 offensive players are either not playing them, or forcing them to play defense. It makes me want to vomit.

I like watching playoff hockey, but something has to give-- the low-zone collapse is ruining the NHL like the neutral zone trap ruined the NHL in the 90s.

of the 8 teams remaining:

Washington Capitals

St. Louis Blues

Nashville Predators

Phoenix Coyotes

NY Rangers

LA Kings

all default to a 4 man low-zone collapse in their defensive zone

Maybe we should seriously consider bigger nets or something more drastic. This is horrendous.

You know who I'm rooting for these playoffs? The flyers. They are the only team with the balls not to stack their roster with shot-blockers. I hate philly people, generally, but I love the hockey more, and if this low-scoring trend continues I am serioulsy going to lose interest.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Why I hate these NHL playoffs

I say bring back the two line pass.  The rip from behind the blue line and the tip in from the other blue line gives the super easy outlet...or an icing.

I hate it.

This is the worst finals I've seen since 2004, in which the Lightning won the Obstruction Cup.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

In Response to Re: Why I hate these NHL playoffs:
    [QUOTE] This is the worst finals I've seen since 2004, in which the Lightning won the Obstruction Cup.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I'm glad someone else notices it other than me. This is brutal.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

all you are seeing is behemoths with little job security jump in front of pucks because their jobs depend on it. The rest are fringe players and veterans just trying to extend their careers by playing it safe.

You see what's happening? Playing it safe = best chance to win a stanley cup.

Props to the little talent that has made it this far for molding to their teams demands. Hopefully it comes out at some point.

It's like, "Crap, the bruins lost, who should I root for? hmmmmmm, wow. no one. I hope they all lose"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I completely agree with you guys, except that the finals arent for 2 more rounds yet.

I turned on the Washington game with 5 minutes left in regulation because I couldnt stomach another 3 periods of blocked shots, watched a bit of furious play in the first 10 minutes of the first OT, then sat melted and bored the rest of the wat through OT2.

I turned it off and frankly dont care who won.

Terrible.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

I agree.  Many people (not necessarily on here) talked about how exciting the B's/Caps series was because every game was decided by a goal....4 of the 7 games went to OT.  Now, I'll admit to being on the edge of my seat during those OT games, but I had a dog in the fight.  If I wasn't a fan of either team, I'd say it was brutal to watch.  And after watching how the Caps played the Bruins, I knew their matchup with the Rangers would be like watching paint dry.  But SoxFan's right, it's only the 2nd round.  Hopefully it picks up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

[QUOTE]Now, I'll admit to being on the edge of my seat during those OT games, but I had a dog in the fight.  If I wasn't a fan of either team, I'd say it was brutal to watch. 
    Posted by jalvis[/QUOTE]

exactly, well said.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I completely agree with you guys, except that the finals arent for 2 more rounds yet.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

It's late.  I'm tired.  I meant "playoffs", not "finals".

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Pheonix and Philly (more so) could be exceptions.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

Aside from the Pens/Flyers series going back to the first round (due to AWFUL goaltending) the strategy has been:
    Score first and sit on that lead for the rest of the game.  Total prevent defense.

I'll always watch because I'm addicted to this sport.  But I agree it's not hockey at its best. 

Question:  Do you guys think the Bruins winning last year had anything to do with this strategy?  Great defense and ride it through the playoffs?  Our leading scorer had 62 points last year. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I haven't been able to watch more than a period of hockey since the B's went down, and if I wasn't a hopeless B's fan, I couldn't have stomached that either.  Terrible, terrible entertainment.
    This is a monkey see monkey do business.  Don't expect any change.  The goal is to win, and when you see perrenial playoff train wreaks like the Capitals knock off the defending Cup champs, and prove to themselves they also have a great shot at knocking off another pre playoff favorite...it's obvious they "learned something", and it's not reasonable to think many teams won't respond in a like way.
    Unfortunately, no points for style.  This epiphany that has struck the lords of the boards is lost on no one.  It takes parity to a whole new level, and won't go away until a system of skill, and speed and finesse beats it.  Even then, there will be more teams without those attributes...than with them.  
    This is a watershed moment for hockey.(not that we haven't had many)  The game is bigger, faster, stronger...and smarter, than it used to be, and the league has done a terrible job of keeping up.  And the reason is simple.  They are hoplessly resistant to change, therefore the effort to really do anything...about anything(see injuries) is more about window dressing than "fundamental change".
    This crap we're seeing now is even bigger than the injury/rules thing, as it has proved to the owners, that "winning", can quite possibly be achieved much more economically than ever thought possible.
    Adding to boredom here...is the fact that the obstruction, holding crap is creeping it's way back into the game.  Not as bad as it used to be, but more so than recent past.  There's a reason for that too.  When the game historically judges infractions based on the score....pretty easy to see why thats going on.
    3 things need to happen real soon, and they're all up to the league.
    1. Acceptable body contact needs to be re thought, then articulated in black and white, and enforced in black and white.
    2.  The rules regarding "flow"(icing, offside etc) need to hi-lite the speed, skill, and finesse, that should be evident in any sport at it's highest level.  If one compares the size, speed, skill, strength and conditioning levels of these athletes, compared to the 1970's....obviously, 10 guys don't have as much space to operate in...as they once did. not saying we should be 4 on 4 now, just saying something has to be done.
    Can't blame the remaining gladiators for the boring games.  They're doing their jobs.
    The game has to change a bit, that's all.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

I havent watched much of the playoffs since the B's lost. Ive caught a few minutes here and there of a couple games, but could really care less about them anymore. As was said earlier, I too was on the edge of my seat while watching the B's series, but it really wasnt a series to write home about. Im actually enjoying the break from hockey. For the past 6 months, thats all that has been on in my house. My DVR is so full of shows that I need to watch and thats a good thing, because there is nothing on tv in the summer time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I agree completely, this hockey is awful, including the B's Caps series. The Caps are the worst culprit, but they are all doing it. It's truly a sad statement when a team is better off playing grinders than Ovechkin, one of the best players the game has seen. The refs are getting lazy on obstruction calls again, and the goalie equipment NEEDS to get smaller (I prefer that option to nets bigger). I've always liked that in hockey it isn't always about talent, that teamwork and dedication plays a large part, but this is too far. It's become a disadvantage to be talented. It even takes away from the goaltending position. It doesn't matter if your goalie has talent, because they aren't seeing any good shots. Holtby isn't that good. Mike Smith didn't become brilliant when he joined the Coyotes and Bryzgalov didn't become lousy when he left them. In today's league all that matters is if your team plays collapse D in front of you. I feel like we should start a petition to the League head office to let them know this is garbage to watch. I don't trust them to fix it on their own as it took a decade and a lockout from '95-'05 before it was addressed before.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins09. Show bruins09's posts

Good post! I agree, now I can get on with my life.

[QUOTE]I havent watched much of the playoffs since the B's lost. Ive caught a few minutes here and there of a couple games, but could really care less about them anymore. As was said earlier, I too was on the edge of my seat while watching the B's series, but it really wasnt a series to write home about. Im actually enjoying the break from hockey. For the past 6 months, thats all that has been on in my house. My DVR is so full of shows that I need to watch and thats a good thing, because there is nothing on tv in the summer time.
    Posted by bgrif008[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I'm watching all of the playoff games. and yes it does seem a bit dull, but not too different than always. The D's always tighten up and there are less goals. It seems to me that a lot of teams just aren't burying their chances as well. But I'll contest that the playoffs have never been about firewagon hockey.

I think last year's B's did have a hand in dictating what we're seeing, if it's all about a defensive game plan can beat offensive talents, and we complain about it...maybe we should have just let the Canucks win, you know, for the good of the game.

I do agree it isn't great to watch, but if that is the new formula, then it is what it is. I just didn't know that every team would morph into the '95 Devils, one zone back.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Why I hate these NHL playoffs:[QUOTE] I'm just echoing the sentiment....brutal.   Except for the Flyers, who are the only ones playing wide open '80s style' hockey. Which could be their demise OR their success.
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

^Yep! You are so dead on Ols boring, boring, boring hockey! The trap hockey bites! K off my soap box now...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Oh, you're speakin' my mind Ols.  It awful, and I naively looked forward to it all year.  I really hope Bettman is paying attention.  As I said before I DVR'd a couple of the Bruins games and I simply couldn't resist fast-forwarded parts of the games.  We can all applaud ugly 3rd line goals, but that seems to be all we're getting.  Stars can't score and the Caps and Rangers played two full games last night featuring 3 total goals.  the announcers were raving about what a "classic" it was which made me laugh.  It was horrible.  This is the first time since 2004 that I haven't been bothering to watch the playoffs and it isn't about the Bruins at all.  I try to watch, I just can't stay with it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Anyone watch the Pens/Philly series? Philly definitely did not win with its defence. That was pretty damn exciting. What about NJ coming out in the third period to score 4 unanswered goals in the third? Pretty good.

Let's face it, if the Bruins were still in it this thread would likely not exist. Defence always tightens in the post-season as we all know. But those that can balance solid defence with offense usually wins the day. When was the cup last won by a team with an exclusively Lemaire-type suffocating defence only system? I can't even remember, maybe NJ in 2003. That was almost a decade ago.

Once the Caps get defeated and STL upset (Hitchcock teams are always boring teams to watch) then conditions will improve.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The Flyers are the lone exciting team. Games involving them are great. They score and can be scored on... it's exciting for both sides. Everything else is garbage.

[QUOTE]Anyone watch the Pens/Philly series? Philly definitely did not win with its defence. That was pretty damn exciting. What about NJ coming out in the third period to score 4 unanswered goals in the third? Pretty good. Let's face it, if the Bruins were still in it this thread would likely not exist. Defence always tightens in the post-season as we all know. But those that can balance solid defence with offense usually wins the day. When was the cup last won by a team with an exclusively Lemaire-type suffocating defence only system? I can't even remember, maybe NJ in 2003. That was almost a decade ago. Once the Caps get defeated and STL upset (Hitchcock teams are always boring teams to watch) then conditions will improve.
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I think LA can, and will, step it up offensively when the time comes. They have the horses to do it. And, as I previously mentioned, NJ has offensive capabilities. Especially when Kovalchuk is in the lineup. That's why I am hoping for a LA v. Philly or NJ final. A Cap/NYR v. Phoenix/STL final will likely prove the point of this thread but as another poster wrote, there is plenty of hockey to go.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

No doubt many would be less interested in the "quality" of the game if Boston was still playing.  Most of us don't care how the Bruins win.  We're plenty happy about an ugly win.
    Like almost every fan on the planet though, we become a tad more objective, when our team isn't in the picture.  Not fair to write that off as nothing more than a feeble excuse, or jilt, because someones team is now on the golf course.
    Absolutely, defense tightens up for the playoffs.  Thats certainly nothing new, and most hockey fans are great with that.
    I just think the industry is catching onto a concept, taken to a completely new level, that shows great promise, despite the premise, and spirit of the game.  I think every coach and GM in the league is paying particular attention, and I don't think that is great news.  Everybody outside of Jersey hated the brand created by the Devils back in their glory days, and it wasn't the team, but their strangling style that was detested by so many true fans of the game.
    If a hybrid of that style is successful in todays NHL, those in charge must see to it, that an alternate style has a better chance at success.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]No doubt many would be less interested in the "quality" of the game if Boston was still playing.  Most of us don't care how the Bruins win.  We're plenty happy about an ugly win. Like almost every fan on the planet though, we become a tad more objective, when our team isn't in the picture.  Not fair to write that off as nothing more than a feeble excuse, or jilt, because someones team is now on the golf course. Absolutely, defense tightens up for the playoffs.  Thats certainly nothing new, and most hockey fans are great with that. I just think the industry is catching onto a concept, taken to a completely new level, that shows great promise, despite the premise, and spirit of the game.  I think every coach and GM in the league is paying particular attention, and I don't think that is great news.  Everybody outside of Jersey hated the brand created by the Devils back in their glory days, and it wasn't the team, but their strangling style that was detested by so many true fans of the game. If a hybrid of that style is successful in todays NHL, those in charge must see to it, that an alternate style has a better chance at success.
    Posted by stevegm[/QUOTE]

Very true SteveGM. I am not suggesting that us Bruins fans are just mad that our team is no longer in the running. You are right, that is not fair. That said, there are always lemaire-esque D-only teams every year in the playoffs. But it is usually the teams that balance both defence and offense that win the cup. As I mentioned, the 2003 Devils were the last team to be the D only team to win it all. The last decade has had winners who balance both. So, we all just need to wait and see what happens. It is still early.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I don't think Bruins' bias has anything to do with it. Many of us are hockey fans, not just Bruins fans. NaS had a thread going during the caps series about hoping the games would be at least good to watch and I whole-heartedly agreed. I didn't bother watching a couple of the round one games and I never miss Bruins playoff games.  But they were aweful. I almost fell asleep during one and kept thinking about how could I better spend my time during another. Washington wasn't trying to win the games and the Bruins had no room to make plays. Terrible hockey and it's continuing in every game the Flyers don't play.

We do have our own Jack Adams/Stanley Cup winning coach partly to blame. He perfected the collaps defence in his Montreal days and has used it now to give three goalies Vezinas, not to mention a Hart and Con Smythe. His four line team approach is also being copied. What is even worse though is teams like Washington taking it to the extreme. Ovechkin getting less than 15 minutes. Ovechkin! And it works! At least with CJ's team the Bruins are still high scoring and guys like Seguin or Krejci or whoever still get over 19minutes on most nights. In last year's run DK, PB, Horton and Marchand had big point totals and there were lots of exciting, come-from-behind wins and losses. The hockey this year lacks that and it's garbage. Games decided by 1 goal on lucky bounces is all we're seeing. Bruins or no Bruins it's dreadful and skill and talent are not determining the outcomes of games.

Change is required by the league. Another thought that popped into my head is returning the blueline to its previous place closer to each net. It was moved to help counteract the trap, but the result is that it's hard for wings to cover the points. To deal with that teams started collapsing and allowing point men (they were farther away anyway) to shoot, focusing instead on blocking and clearing rebounds. If the blueline was closer, the point shots would be closer and more dangerous, it would make more sense to cover the points again, and that in turn would bring a couple players out of the cluster f*** in front of the net.

[QUOTE]No doubt many would be less interested in the "quality" of the game if Boston was still playing.  Most of us don't care how the Bruins win.  We're plenty happy about an ugly win. Like almost every fan on the planet though, we become a tad more objective, when our team isn't in the picture.  Not fair to write that off as nothing more than a feeble excuse, or jilt, because someones team is now on the golf course. Absolutely, defense tightens up for the playoffs.  Thats certainly nothing new, and most hockey fans are great with that. I just think the industry is catching onto a concept, taken to a completely new level, that shows great promise, despite the premise, and spirit of the game.  I think every coach and GM in the league is paying particular attention, and I don't think that is great news.  Everybody outside of Jersey hated the brand created by the Devils back in their glory days, and it wasn't the team, but their strangling style that was detested by so many true fans of the game. If a hybrid of that style is successful in todays NHL, those in charge must see to it, that an alternate style has a better chance at success.
    Posted by stevegm[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think Bruins' bias has anything to do with it. Many of us are hockey fans, not just Bruins fans. NaS had a thread going during the caps series about hoping the games would be at least good to watch and I whole-heartedly agreed. I didn't bother watching a couple of the round one games and I never miss Bruins playoff games.  But they were aweful. I almost fell asleep during one and kept thinking about how could I better spend my time during another. Washington wasn't trying to win the games and the Bruins had no room to make plays. Terrible hockey and it's continuing in every game the Flyers don't play. We do have our own Jack Adams/Stanley Cup winning coach partly to blame. He perfected the collaps defence in his Montreal days and has used it now to give three goalies Vezinas, not to mention a Hart and Con Smythe. His four line team approach is also being copied. What is even worse though is teams like Washington taking it to the extreme. Ovechkin getting less than 15 minutes. Ovechkin! And it works! At least with CJ's team the Bruins are still high scoring and guys like Seguin or Krejci or whoever still get over 19minutes on most nights. In last year's run DK, PB, Horton and Marchand had big point totals and there were lots of exciting, come-from-behind wins and losses. The hockey this year lacks that and it's garbage. Games decided by 1 goal on lucky bounces is all we're seeing. Bruins or no Bruins it's dreadful and skill and talent are not determining the outcomes of games. Change is required by the league. Another thought that popped into my head is returning the blueline to its previous place closer to each net. It was moved to help counteract the trap, but the result is that it's hard for wings to cover the points. To deal with that teams started collapsing and allowing point men (they were farther away anyway) to shoot, focusing instead on blocking and clearing rebounds. If the blueline was closer, the point shots would be closer and more dangerous, it would make more sense to cover the points again, and that in turn would bring a couple players out of the cluster f*** in front of the net. In Response to Re: Why I hate these NHL playoffs :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

We agree something has to change, but wonder about the blue line moving in.  Although it brings the shooter closer to the net, that shooter is much easier to defend against, and 10 guys would be working in an even more confined space. I'm not sure "space" isn't the biggest problem nowadays.
    It's a real tough fix, and one I think will warant fundamental change.   The toughie is...none of us really wants to see fundamental change. We want things to stay the same, and the distatesful stuff to just disappear.
    Too bad it wasn't feasible to make the ice surface a little bigger.  I'm sure many will disagree, but I feel strongly that the old Garden, was a great friend to the skinflints steering the ship post 1975.  Those "lunchpail" teams(translation, one good line)would have been less successful on a bigger ice surface.  Opposite(although minimally so) with Edmonton on a smaller one.   Personally, I think we would potentially see the absolute the best the sport has to offer,  4 on 4.
    Your suggestion of nets or goalie equipment might do it too.

Sections
Shortcuts