WHY is that first goal so important?? Hab games.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

WHY is that first goal so important?? Hab games.

I've always thought that first goal was overrated.  If you are going to score 3-4 goals over 60 minutes, who cares when you get them?

But these games with the Habs... if the B's score first they have the 8-6 game, the 7-0 game, the 4-2 game... the B's look like they are so much better than the Habs its not funny.  Actually, the 8-6 and 4-2 games shouldnt have been anywhere near as close as they were if not for soft goals against keeping the Habs close.  Ditto the one game they scored first in Montreal... really should have won that one too if not for an awful first goal against and a weak OT wrister.
    Why are the B's so much better after scoring first?

But when the Habs score first, it seems like the Bs are 10 goals down!  I cant believe that bunch is suddenly the Cup Winning Devils throttling defense.  Every game the Bs have given up the first one, it seemed like the B's would never score again.

I don't get it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp1957. Show ksp1957's posts

Re: WHY is that first goal so important?? Hab games.

This is especially true in the playoffs. The two games the Habs have scored first, they sat on the lead, depended on Carrie Price and won. The game the Bruins scored first, the Bruins kept things going and won. Thomas may not have had his best game, but he was good enough to win it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

It's all about confidence!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to WHY is that first goal so important?? Hab games.:
    [QUOTE]I've always thought that first goal was overrated.  If you are going to score 3-4 goals over 60 minutes, who cares when you get them? But these games with the Habs... if the B's score first they have the 8-6 game, the 7-0 game, the 4-2 game... the B's look like they are so much better than the Habs its not funny.  Actually, the 8-6 and 4-2 games shouldnt have been anywhere near as close as they were if not for soft goals against keeping the Habs close.  Ditto the one game they scored first in Montreal... really should have won that one too if not for an awful first goal against and a weak OT wrister. Why are the B's so much better after scoring first? But when the Habs score first, it seems like the Bs are 10 goals down!  I cant believe that bunch is suddenly the Cup Winning Devils throttling defense.  Every game the Bs have given up the first one, it seemed like the B's would never score again. I don't get it.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

SoxFan - Solid post.  Baffling, to be sure.  Perhaps its due to the club's defense-first game plan not being geared to coming from behind.  Maybe being forced to play catch-up takes the team out of what they function best within. 

We saw last year's Bruins win their share of 2-1 games largely due to how they protected the slim lead rather than overcoming a deficit.  I have no doubt the performance of the goaltending plays a role.  If its shakey, the rest of the club performs in a similar manner.  I'm just guessing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to WHY is that first goal so important?? Hab games.:
    [QUOTE]I've always thought that first goal was overrated.  If you are going to score 3-4 goals over 60 minutes, who cares when you get them? But these games with the Habs... if the B's score first they have the 8-6 game, the 7-0 game, the 4-2 game... the B's look like they are so much better than the Habs its not funny.  Actually, the 8-6 and 4-2 games shouldnt have been anywhere near as close as they were if not for soft goals against keeping the Habs close.  Ditto the one game they scored first in Montreal... really should have won that one too if not for an awful first goal against and a weak OT wrister. Why are the B's so much better after scoring first? But when the Habs score first, it seems like the Bs are 10 goals down!  I cant believe that bunch is suddenly the Cup Winning Devils throttling defense.  Every game the Bs have given up the first one, it seemed like the B's would never score again. I don't get it.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

I think it's not quite as baffling why the B;s need to score first (and you;re right--they do.) They are primarily a defense-oriented team...from the goaltending to Chara as anchor to the fact that they don't have dynamic skaters from the blue line, the way they win is by getting leads and then stifling teams w/good defense after...from the neutral zone and w/the box scheme CJ has them playing...that doesn;t mean they should turtle up like they did in Game 3, but they don;'t have the kind of high powered offense (think Wash., SJ, etc.) that can come back when down by a goal or 2.

They really do need that first strike (and against Mtl. they'll certainly need more), but woe to the B;s if they have to play from behind tonight.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I just came across this in today's Toronto Sun.  It's from Lindy Ruff and perhaps it comes closer to the heart of this thread.  Ruff said "It really changes the approach the other team has to take if you're chasing the lead all the time.  You make mistakes by trying to be aggressive, you put yourself in a tough spot." 

As we know the Bruins at their best are tight checking instead of full-throttle, back and forth.  I thing this lends itself to the reality of them excelling with the lead.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LordBruin. Show LordBruin's posts

Takes the so-called Hated Habs fanatics kinda out of it!
    Gives us positive momentum
    Now currently trailing after 1, remember it now only takes 1 (goal) to have it become a brand new game all over again!