Why Not Ryan O'Reilly?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Why Not Ryan O'Reilly?

He's good.

An accepted offer sheet would cost the B's next to nothing as Chiarelli can't draft out of the Top 10 anyway.  Then other salary gets moved for other picks anyway.

Fill in the holes with future stars such as Koko and No Goals.

And it would really pi$$ off Patrick Roy. 

Make it happen.

(You know, in case the Zuccarello and Richards deals can't be done.)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Re: Why Not Ryan O'Reilly?

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

He's good.

An accepted offer sheet would cost the B's next to nothing as Chiarelli can't draft out of the Top 10 anyway. Then other salary gets moved for other picks anyway.

Make it happen.

The Flames gave it a shot last year. Why not the Bruins?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

Ahhh! What's life if we can't dream?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I would take him in a second.  I want an rfa contract.  I wanna tick another team off.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

And you could probably still squeeze in Dany Heatley!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

PC's counting his pennies just to re-up Iggy, don't see any fa's demanding substantial money coming this way.... 

any meaningful upgrades will have to be done through trades....

“People think common sense is common - but it's not.”

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

He's good.

An accepted offer sheet would cost the B's next to nothing as Chiarelli can't draft out of the Top 10 anyway.  Then other salary gets moved for other picks anyway.

Make it happen.

I think the key here is two-fold. Sure the guy is good, thats undeniable but...

1) He makes $6.5 million. If you offer more than $6.7 you owe the Av's 2 firsts, a second, and a third... in this draft. We have one, where do we get the second? Trade who? Doable, but more subtraction needed.

2) Say good-bye to Krejci. You will not be able to afford him after this year when he becomes a UFA.

3) **Warning** This is where silly-time begins: With that said, if you plan on throwing a big contract at O'Reilly, why not trade Krejci now to open up a center spot (for Bergeron?) and spend the money today for a younger player with similar PPG. Get some assets for Krejci (although Im a big fan) and there is your quick reload.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

I would take him in a second.  I want an rfa contract.  I wanna tick another team off. 

I do as well. Call the GM up and tell him i'm making an offer do you want to make a deal. Then once you get the signature the opposing General Manager can't go all ballistic, running around Burke.

Holmgren has made trades since and had no repercussions from other GMs since his offer sheet to Weber.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I love watching O'Reilly and I would guess that the Avs are favoring letting Stastny go so they can resign O'Reilly, but who knows.  The contract dispute was fairly bitter last year.

It's tougher to consider if it means losing Krejci.  I know he was awfully quiet in the games that are freshest in our minds, but he brings a skill set that Bergeron doesn't.  O'Reilly is a lot like Bergeron.  Good at everything.  A gamer.  Defensive.  PK.  But, neither of those guys can pass like Krejci and if you're going to re-sign a pure shooter like Iginla, it's nice to have a true set-up guy.

O'Reilly really is a pleasure to watch, but I'm not really sure where you put him.  Center? Wing?

Also, I think you could try working the trade front with Colorado too.  They are desperate for NHL D-men.  I think they'd want McQuaid or Bartkowski or Miller (funny side note is that Boychuk came through their AHL team and they gave up on him; Hendricks trade).  I do wonder if Marchand, McQuaid, and a pick could bring ROR in a trade.

I think the B's do need to replenish some youth in the draft, even with PC picking in the 20's.  It's a numbers game, he'll find some scores in the draft.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I hate these threads.

Everyone wants to be a gm real or imagined.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

I hate these threads.

Dont comment on them then.  I personally love the fantasy gm threads.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I hate these threads.

That's sports discussion boards are mainly about other than sharing a passion for your favorite team. Strutting your stuff after guessing a trade that was coming up. Armchair QBs are what makes fantasy sports leagues thrive.

Get on board P00 Pee pants LoL

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Yeah that inflated $6.5 mill salary on his contract is kind of a killer for offer sheets. But I guess that was the plan with the original RFA contract he signed in the first place.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I hate these threads.

That's sports discussion boards are mainly about other than sharing a passion for your favorite team. Strutting your stuff after guessing a trade that was coming up. Armchair QBs are what makes fantasy sports leagues thrive.

Yet when I crticize draft picks you go nuts.  And I think draft picks are much more relevant for commentary than these fantasy picks.

Why not Zuccarello?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Why shouldn't I comment on them?  I have an opinion relevant to the thread, I voice it.

Why not Drew Doughty?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I hate these threads.

Awww, c'mon , Badhab.  It's part of the fun of being a fan. Not the let's trade 3 AHLers and a bag of practice pucks for Shea Weber stuff. That's just dumb. But when there's some logic and semblance of validity to a trade, RFA or UFA deal, even if it's complete speculation, is enjoyable to me. It makes me think about how other players might or might not fit with the Bruins (and the cap) and gets me to look closer at some players on other teams. As a hockey fan this is a good thing. 

How about the draft? I hope you at least enjoy that stuff.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Why shouldn't I comment on them?  I have an opinion relevant to the thread, I voice it.

Why not Drew Doughty?

Hes not a free agent.   And we dont have anyone to trade for him.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:

Awww, c'mon , Badhab.  It's part of the fun of being a fan. Not the let's trade 3 AHLers and a bag of practice pucks for Shea Weber stuff. That's just dumb. But when there's some logic and semblance of validity to a trade, RFA or UFA deal, even if it's complete speculation, is enjoyable to me. It makes me think about how other players might or might not fit with the Bruins (and the cap) and gets me to look closer at some players on other teams. As a hockey fan this is a good thing. 

How about the draft? I hope you at least enjoy that stuff.

The draft is much more commentary worthy.  I've gone at it tooth and nail with Chowda over the draft.  I said Tyler Toffoli over Spooner, and to be fair I also picked McFarland and Kiril Kabanov.  I still don't think Chowda has understood my point.  I admittedly don't see these players, I choose based on stats alone and I simply look for improvement from year to year.  *Most* of the time, (of course not only, but a majority) you will see the players that make it have steady improvement through juniors.

But here's my point, picking only based on stats and given the % of players that actually make it to the NHL, my odds of picking a player that makes it from the second round and down should be about zero, but I've gotten a few that have made it to the NHL.  

Here is the list I've been keeping;

2007 1 8 Zach Hamill C Did not like this pick, size & speed were lacking
    2007 2 35 Tommy Cross D Hated this pick, and didn't like him even more when I saw him
    2007 5 130 Denis Reul D Hated him when I saw him
    2007 6 159 Alain Goulet D
    2007 6 169 Radim Ostrcil D
    2007 7 189 Jordan Knackstedt RW
    2008 1 16 Joe Colborne C Did not like this pick
    2008 2 47 Maxime Sauve C
    2008 3 77 Michael Hutchinson G
    2008 4 97 Jamie Arniel C
    2008 6 173 Nicolas Tremblay C
    2008 7 197 Mark Goggin C
    2009 1 25 Jordan Caron RW
    2009 3 86 Ryan Button D
    2009 4 112 Lane MacDermid LW
    2009 6 176 Tyler Randell RW
    2009 7 206 Ben Sexton C
    2010 1 2 Tyler Seguin C *LOVED* the pick,
    2010 2 32 Jared Knight RW Did not like this pick, would have taken Tyler Toffoli
    2010 2 45 Ryan Spooner C Did not like this pick, would have taken John McFarland
    2010 4 97 Craig Cunningham LW
    2010 5 135 Justin Florek F
    2010 6 165 Zane Gothberg G
    2010 7 195 Maxim Chudinov D
    2010 7 210 Zach Trotman D
    2011 1 9 Dougie Hamilton D *LOVED* the pick, hard worker in camp
    2011 2 40 Alexander Khokhlachez LW agree with this pick, hard worker in camp
    2011 3 81 Anthony Camara LW didn't like the pick, did not impress me in camp, would have taken Joshua Leivo
    2011 4 121 Brian Ferlin RW agree with this pick, raw talent from FLA
    2011 5 151 Rob O'Gara D didn't like the pick, would have taken Darren Kramer from WHL Spokane Chiefs
    2011 6 181 Lars Volden G hated this pick, was horrible at camp, would have taken Mitchell Theoret from the ice dogs
    2012 1 24 Malcolm Subban G *LOVED* this pick
    2012 3 85 Matthew Grzelcyk D Hate this pick (size), would have taken Josh Anderson from the London Knights
    2012 5 131 Seth Griffith F Hate this pick (age, size), would have taken Connor Brown from the Erie Otters
    2012 5 145 Cody Payne F Agree with this pick
    2012 6 175 Matthew Benning F Hate this pick (nepotism) would have taken Colin Smith from Kamloops Blazers

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I hate these threads.

I do also, but unfortunately, this joke of a thread turned into an actual conversation.

Plus, everyone knows O'Reilly is going to come play in Florida with Stastny.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[/QUOTE]

I still don't think Chowda has understood my point.  I admittedly don't see these players, I choose based on stats alone and I simply look for improvement from year to year.  *Most* of the time, (of course not only, but a majority) you will see the players that make it have steady improvement through juniors.

But here's my point, picking only based on stats and given the % of players that actually make it to the NHL, my odds of picking a player that makes it from the second round and down should be about zero, but I've gotten a few that have made it to the NHL.  

[/QUOTE]

You do realize that a good majority of players in junior that are picked in the draft have had your "steady improvement in stats".

Seems to be moot point when..........hello........most of them have had that improvement. Being a year older and taking on a more important role with their teams are the reasons for that. That's why they get noticed and that's why they get drafted.

As far as you picking NHL players past the third round without seeing them ? Only a few ? 

I use a Ouiji board with a better accuracy rate then that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I hate these threads.

Yet when I crticize draft picks you go nuts.  And I think draft picks are much more relevant for commentary than these fantasy picks.  

Why not Zuccarello?

Criticizing KoKo and the newest European draft pick while they skate on Wilmington High Schools home ice is a bit different than wishing for a certain draft pick to do well or RFA offer sheet.

Judging a 20 year old wide-eyed kid as they adjust has a different ring to it. Florek and Miller used up zero Bruins money and resources but they are looking very good no matter how they looked in the 40 yard dash in the parking lot during August of a rookie camp. 

Grzelcyk is your daddy!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

You do realize that a good majority of players in junior that are picked in the draft have had your "steady improvement in stats". 

Seems to be moot point when..........hello........most of them have had that improvement. Being a year older and taking on a more important role with their teams are the reasons for that. That's why they get noticed and that's why they get drafted.

As far as you picking NHL players past the third round without seeing them ? Only a few ? 

I use a Ouiji board with a better accuracy rate then that.

Very well re: the Ouiji board, I would be quite interested to see what results choosing the players at random would bring.

And again, the obvious losers are easy to spot.

Very curious to see what happens with the new staff this year.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Very well re: the Ouiji board, I would be quite interested to see what results choosing the players at random would bring.

[/QUOTE]

Considering you admit to not seeing these players and that the majority of them all have your elevated stats improvement.......................I'd say the random question has already been answered.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I do also, but unfortunately, this joke of a thread turned into an actual conversation.

Plus, everyone knows O'Reilly is going to come play in Florida with Stastny.

The Florida news outlets will drop Cane, Dolphin, Heat and Marlin news to cover this momentous event.

Edwin Pope will be so excited.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:

It makes me think about how other players might or might not fit with the Bruins (and the cap) and gets me to look closer at some players on other teams. As a hockey fan this is a good thing. 

Couldn't agree more WTL. I wasn't thinking of a RFA offer sheet when thinking about tweeking next year's roster, but this thread brought it up so why not? I love DK on the Bruins, but signing another young center to an offer sheet and trading DK to recoup the lost picks and/or getting some young talent... thats bold not fantasy.

I didn't know thinking outside the box (in a plausible way) was so tiring BadHab lol

• Sections
    Shortcuts