Why not the St Louis Blues?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from G4ck5. Show G4ck5's posts

Why not the St Louis Blues?

Been reading up lately on how the Hawks have a high % of winning the cup again, the Ducks also, along with the Pens and Bruins. I mean the Blues are the west coast version of the Bruins. Why do they not have the favor of the Hockey analysis? They are 2nd place in the west and have beaten the Bruins 2 times this year. Is there something I am missing or are the new pre cup bruins where the B's got no love for anything?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Re: Why not the St Louis Blues?

In response to G4ck5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Been reading up lately on how the Hawks have a high % of winning the cup again, the Ducks also, along with the Pens and Bruins. I mean the Blues are the west coast version of the Bruins. Why do they not have the favor of the Hockey analysis? They are 2nd place in the west and have beaten the Bruins 2 times this year. Is there something I am missing or are the new pre cup bruins where the B's got no love for anything?

[/QUOTE]

Goaltending is what most pundits are worried about. I'm in agreement with them. Halek, or Elliot have cost the Blues series.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

i think the bruins play st louis in the finals. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Goaltending is what most pundits are worried about. I'm in agreement with them. Halek, or Elliot have cost the Blues series.

-------------
    I'm sure that's part of it............but to add to that, they're not exactly known as a team that fills the net.

That's not a goalie issue.

P.s. As a former part time member of the goaltending union ......... just sticking up for the goalies.......that's all.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

St. Louis finally beats LA in the Western Conference semi-finals and then they have to face either Chicago or Anaheim in the next round. So it won't be this year for da Blues. Maybe next year but the Quacks and Hawks will still be great.

Western Conference playoffs this season is going to be real good.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Miller and Thomas available at the trade deadline.  

I believe the Blues would be much better with one of those guys in net.

And I agree that the Bruins can get out of the east relatively unscathed, hopefully whoever they meet from the west will have had a war getting there and will be fairly well out of gas when they reach the finals.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

The Blues arent as good as the Ducks, Kings or BlackHawks. People keep looking at their goaltending as an issue and I just dont see it. It's not an issue during the regular season and doesn;t seem to change at all during the playoffs.  Thier scoring is the problem.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Blues arent as good as the Ducks, Kings or BlackHawks. People keep looking at their goaltending as an issue and I just dont see it. It's not an issue during the regular season and doesn;t seem to change at all during the playoffs.  Thier scoring is the problem.

[/QUOTE]

You need to go back since 2011 & look at how Elliot & Halak have played then. That kind of goaltending won't win you much. And to blame scoring is weak. Goaltending 95% of the time is the difference between winning & losing in the play-offs. Goal scoring is prevented because of great goaltending. The Blues goaltending has never been close to their opposition. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

In the past, the Blues goaltending hasn't been as good as LA, their scoring wasn't as good as Chicago and special teams not as good as Anaheim. So far this year, they are Top 3 in just about every stat imaginable. No reason why they can't win in the playoffs.

And the goalie rumors are insane. They are 3rd league-wide in GA, 3rd in 5-on-5 GF/GA and 4th PK%. Don't change a thing for an unknow Miller or Thomas. Just play your game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I like the Blues.  However, I think Hitchcock can wear on players and the tune him out after time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You need to go back since 2011 & look at how Elliot & Halak have played then. That kind of goaltending won't win you much. And to blame scoring is weak. Goaltending 95% of the time is the difference between winning & losing in the play-offs. Goal scoring is prevented because of great goaltending. The Blues goaltending has never been close to their opposition. 

[/QUOTE]

Wrong.

Last year. Lost to the Kings in the first round 4 games to 2.

Game 1. W 2-1 OT

Game 2  W 2-1

Game 3  L  1-0 ...3 goals in the first three games, goaltending definetly an issue so far.

Game 4  L 4-3

Game 5  L 3-2

Game 6  L 2-1

Elliotts G.A.A was under 2.00 for the series since some overtime is played. I remember watching some of this series, Quick was the difference for the Kings, but to leave that series and blame Brian Elliott is just plain stupid. Blues have players to can play, do little things very well, but they need a goal scorer or they will go out again in the first round.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

The blues dont get the respect they deserve, the past couple of seasons they have managed to be a true contender. Its funny, not seeing them mentioned in contending this year reminds me of the year they refused to draft but i forget why. It was quite a few years ago, does anyone else remember ?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Blues have players to can play, do little things very well, but they need a goal scorer or they will go out again in the first round.

[/QUOTE]

3.32 goals per game (2nd in the entire league) - 21.7% PP (4th in league)

Blues get the Bruins treatment because they ran into hot goalies the past few playoffs. Their scoring is very balanced and not an issue this year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Found this on my previous question.
    *A note on 1984. The St. Louis Blues boycotted the draft over the contested sale of the team to Bill Hunter and a collection of investors looking to move the team to Saskatchewan. The team vehemently opposed the sale, and the league was strongly against it as well, but lacked a local buyer to counter-offer. As a result, the Blues refused to send a representative to the draft and their picks were all forfeit

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wrong.

Last year. Lost to the Kings in the first round 4 games to 2.

Game 1. W 2-1 OT

Game 2  W 2-1

Game 3  L  1-0 ...3 goals in the first three games, goaltending definetly an issue so far.

Game 4  L 4-3

Game 5  L 3-2

Game 6  L 2-1

Elliotts G.A.A was under 2.00 for the series since some overtime is played. I remember watching some of this series, Quick was the difference for the Kings, but to leave that series and blame Brian Elliott is just plain stupid. Blues have players to can play, do little things very well, but they need a goal scorer or they will go out again in the first round.

[/QUOTE]

Brian Elliot is not an elite goaltender! I don't care about the stats. Go & look at the goals & when he allowed them! St. Louis was all OVER the Kings! Quick was the difference & he plays what position again???? And Halek has done nothing since 2010! St. Louis doesn't & has not had play-off goaltending up to this point & unless that changes they'll win nothing in 2014!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Brian Elliot is not an elite goaltender! I don't care about the stats. Go & look at the goals & when he allowed them! St. Louis was all OVER the Kings! Quick was the difference & he plays what position again???? And Halek has done nothing since 2010! St. Louis doesn't & has not had play-off goaltending up to this point & unless that changes they'll win nothing in 2014!

[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying he is an elite goaltender. In fact, I think they are fine in net wether it's him or Halak. To me, when I watch them, I think they are a goal scorer away from being a legit Cup threat. Good goaltending, very good defense, good forwards etc..Need that sniper.

You get that you old baztard!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to wallydouglas's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Found this on my previous question.
    *A note on 1984. The St. Louis Blues boycotted the draft over the contested sale of the team to Bill Hunter and a collection of investors looking to move the team to Saskatchewan. The team vehemently opposed the sale, and the league was strongly against it as well, but lacked a local buyer to counter-offer. As a result, the Blues refused to send a representative to the draft and their picks were all forfeit

[/QUOTE]

It was the 1983 draft.  They would have picked 5th every round.  That would have given them Tom Barrasso in the first, Claude Lemieux in the second, and Bruce Shoebottom in the third if they picked the way other teams did.  The 5th pick in round 5 was sandwiched between Klima and Kocur to Detroit.  In the 7th round, Kevin Stevens was picked one pick later, Dave Lowry three picks later.  Tocchet was a sixth rounder that year, Hasek a tenth rounder, Krupp in the 11th, Makarov the 12th.  It was not a draft to miss on principle!  Especially because they were a team about to turn a corner with Mullen and Gilmour about to arrive as reinforcements for Sutte and Federko.  'Course, they then traded both of those guys to Calgary (Mullen was traded for the murderers' row of Ed Beers, Charlie Bourgeois and Gino Cavallini...WHO?).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[/QUOTE]

In last years playoffs the Blues scored 2,0,3,2 and 1 goal(s) respectively in their 5 game series ( 8 goals )with the Kings.

Figure out the math what it would've taken the Blues goalies to give up to win any of those games. Two shutouts ( and even then they were shutout themselves in one game ) , 2 one goal games and a two goal game. 

The year before against the Kings the Blues scored 1,2,2,1 in a 4 game sweep. ( 6 goals )

Over those 9 games ( which they were beaten out of the playoffs by the Kings ) only once did they score more then 2.

So much for the "weak" thought of the Blues goalies being the main culprit to their playoff demises.

The lack of offense has obviously been a major factor for their playoff problems.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

And adding another thought to this topic.

The Kings have an elite goalie in Quick. 

Did the Hawks beat the Kings out in last year's playoffs because: 

a) they filled the net with 14 games in 5 games 

or 

b) Crawford was better then Quick ( the 95% factor )

The Hawks took care of the Kings by being able to score goals against them more then goaltending being the deciding factor.

It was something the Blues couldn't do against the same goalie.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

St. Louis have the best D in the league. They have a snipper, his name is Alexander Steen. Best team Goal diff. They have the second best scoring in the league 3.44 avg per game. 1st is Chicago 3.45avg. The weakness is the G. Ellliot is good. Halak is better but his better days are behind him. As good as the team Diff looks they are not dominating as you would think and thier road game lacks bit. The season is not over, a 3rd to go. I wouldn't dismis them though.They are learning what it takes. If there is a team that beats them you can be sure we will hopefully see them in the finals.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruin4evr. Show bruin4evr's posts

SanDog... The way this years playoffs are set up you play in your division for the first two rounds. The onl;y way St.Louis can play a Pacific team in the first 2 rounds is if 5 Pacific teams make the playoffs, then the 5th place team would cross over to Central and play the 1st place team there. Assuming both divisions send 4 teams to playoffs, St.Louis will play either Colorado/Minnesota/Dallas in first round then probably Chicago in round two.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yah Minnesota and St. Louis will be a fun exciting series. Wake me when it is done.

Tha Norris division!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

or 

The Hawks took care of the Kings by being able to score goals against them more then goaltending being the deciding factor.

[/QUOTE]

It's not how many goals they allow. It's when they allow & the type they allow that's been their biggest downfall. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

or 

[/QUOTE]

It's not how many goals they allow. It's when they allow & the type they allow that's been their biggest downfall. 

[/QUOTE]

Every goal is magnified when your team is constantly struggling to score.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[/QUOTE]

Every goal is magnified when your team is constantly struggling to score.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly my point! You want a goalie who is less likely to allow these kinds of goals. Hence the reason they can't be trusted, hence the reason the Blues have been nonstopped talked about shoring up their goaltending & why the Ryan Miller rumors have swirled all season. Neither of them have been able to hold on to their job. And why nobody wants them in a trade! Their defence has been top notch for years, but yet it's been horrible & very stoppable goals that have caused them early exits. 

Sections
Shortcuts