Why not the St Louis Blues?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Why not the St Louis Blues?

Ward, Brodeur, Miller, Thomas could all be available.   StL is a blue collar working mans team with a fantastic defense.  As Chowda pts out scoring is a big concern for them to advance.  All teams play a trap shutdown style when the playoffs come.  They could use another game breaker up front.  As for their goalies.  If hot Halak can win a few series on his own.  

Should be plenty of movement prior to the deadline.  Can't wait.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

The bottom line for me with the Blues and will be their achilles heel to winning a Cup or the Western conference for that matter,is their offence.They are defensively strong,that is a given,and i would even say they can win with Halak moreso than Elliott.But where they fall short compared to the other powers in the West is on offence.Here is what they are up against.

St. Lou-Steen(career year),Oshie,Backes,Berglund,Tarasenko.

Chicago-Toews,Hossa,Kane,Sharp,Bickell,Versteeg.

L.A-Carter,Kopitar,Richards,Brown,Williams.

Ana-Getzlaf,Perry,Selanne,Koivu,Cogliano,Penner.

As you can see the line ups they will be facing are deep and battle tested,the Blues are not and even with their top end defence and relatively stout goaltending,they fall far short on offence.The Blues can't win every game 1-0 or 2-1 in OT. I would say even if they trade for a Miller or a Thomas,they won't win many series with that forward group.I'm not saying they are bad as they can grind it out with the best of them in tight games but inevitably they will have games where they need big time offence and it just isn't there,imo.It must also be mentioned that their competition in the West all have good to great defences as well and good goaltending so the Blues advantage there isn't big.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I don't think the analysis means much.  Anyone counting the Blues out at this stage isn't considering the unpredictibility of playoff hockey.  A lot of people figured Pittsburgh had a much better shot than Boston last year about this time.

I think they have a realistic shot against any of those west teams in a 7 game series.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't think the analysis means much.  Anyone counting the Blues out at this stage isn't considering the unpredictibility of playoff hockey.  A lot of people figured Pittsburgh had a much better shot than Boston last year about this time.

I think they have a realistic shot against any of those west teams in a 7 game series.

[/QUOTE]

Thats true and if there's one thing predictable about playoff hockey is that its unpredictable, but i still say that the Blues will have a hard time beating any of those three teams.They could get on a roll though and as you say its unpredictable.The Blues could also add another sniper at the deadline ala Vanek or Moulson,which would help.There will be about 25 games left when NHL play resumes,it will be interesting thats for sure. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Its not true that the Blues havent gotten any Cup love... The Hockey News picked the Blues to win the Cup before the season, even after they ranked Chicago as the #1 team overall.

I live 90 min from St Louis and see a lot of them, and I think the criticisms of the goaltending are a little eggagerated.  Elliott actually had some otherworldly numbers a couple years ago, but he wasnt considered for a Vezina because he didnt play enough games. I dont consider him elite, but he and Halak play well enough in St Louis' defensive system to succeed.  i think they need a scorer more than they need a goalie.

I wonder how much they regret giving away Bishop to Ottawa for nothing not that long ago, when they talk about goaltending however.

And re: the discussion of when goalies were giving up goals and what kind, it was actually Quick who was giving up stinkers against St Louis late in those games vs St Louis early in that round.   St Louis has not learned how to win in the playoffs, but again Im not ready to blame the goaltending.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The bottom line for me with the Blues and will be their achilles heel to winning a Cup or the Western conference for that matter,is their offence.They are defensively strong,that is a given,and i would even say they can win with Halak moreso than Elliott.But where they fall short compared to the other powers in the West is on offence.Here is what they are up against.

St. Lou-Steen(career year),Oshie,Backes,Berglund,Tarasenko.

Chicago-Toews,Hossa,Kane,Sharp,Bickell,Versteeg.

L.A-Carter,Kopitar,Richards,Brown,Williams.

Ana-Getzlaf,Perry,Selanne,Koivu,Cogliano,Penner.

As you can see the line ups they will be facing are deep and battle tested,the Blues are not and even with their top end defence and relatively stout goaltending,they fall far short on offence.The Blues can't win every game 1-0 or 2-1 in OT. I would say even if they trade for a Miller or a Thomas,they won't win many series with that forward group.I'm not saying they are bad as they can grind it out with the best of them in tight games but inevitably they will have games where they need big time offence and it just isn't there,imo.It must also be mentioned that their competition in the West all have good to great defences as well and good goaltending so the Blues advantage there isn't big.  

[/QUOTE]

I like this.  the big difference maker for me is StLouis Def.   They are very very good and they get pts from the back end.  I think their lack of fwds as you illustrate is a major difference between these clubs.  Especially if you look at recent history.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Its not true that the Blues havent gotten any Cup love... The Hockey News picked the Blues to win the Cup before the season, even after they ranked Chicago as the #1 team overall.

I live 90 min from St Louis and see a lot of them, and I think the criticisms of the goaltending are a little eggagerated.  Elliott actually had some otherworldly numbers a couple years ago, but he wasnt considered for a Vezina because he didnt play enough games. I dont consider him elite, but he and Halak play well enough in St Louis' defensive system to succeed.  i think they need a scorer more than they need a goalie.

I wonder how much they regret giving away Bishop to Ottawa for nothing not that long ago, when they talk about goaltending however.

And re: the discussion of when goalies were giving up goals and what kind, it was actually Quick who was giving up stinkers against St Louis late in those games vs St Louis early in that round.   St Louis has not learned how to win in the playoffs, but again Im not ready to blame the goaltending.

[/QUOTE]

The difference is he also bailed them out to keep them in every game. He's also proven that he can be a difference maker. Elliot, or Halek have not (since his trade) & by the way he played against the US this morning it doesn't look like that trend is about to change. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

The difference is he also bailed them out to keep them in every game. He's also proven that he can be a difference maker. Elliot, or Halek have not (since his trade) & by the way he played against the US this morning it doesn't look like that trend is about to change. 

[/QUOTE]

And similar to the St. Louis Blues playoffs production..........the Slovaks trend of the inability to score ( 2 goals in 3 games ) is a big difference maker also.

P.S. I don't see many ( if any ) saying Halak or Elliot being elite goalies. If they did....I'd disagree also. They are not.

What I do see though, is the disregard for the teams they play for not being able to put the puck in the net themselves.

Complain about their goaltending all you want..........but the stats show,  teams don't win very many playoff games or series ( Olympic games also ) by averaging less then 2 goals per game.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to marco0863's comment:
    [QUOTE]

St louis is a solid team but they lack playoff offence. Yes steen is having a great year but he's not ca real sniper he's having a career year. 

Tarasenko is helping , oshie backes good  forwards but they will run out of gas . Stewart also tough with decent offensive skills

[/QUOTE]

They need Kessel.  Any team with Kessel will win a gold medal or Stanley Cup or both and will have a dynasty.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And similar to the St. Louis Blues playoffs production..........the Slovaks trend of the inability to score ( 2 goals in 3 games ) is a big difference maker also.

P.S. I don't see many ( if any ) saying Halak or Elliot being elite goalies. If they did....I'd disagree also. They are not.

What I do see though, is the disregard for the teams they play for not being able to put the puck in the net themselves.

Complain about their goaltending all you want..........but the stats show,  teams don't win very many playoff games or series ( Olympic games also ) by averaging less then 2 goals per game.

[/QUOTE]

See Switzerland.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[/QUOTE]

See Switzerland.

[/QUOTE]

See the rest of the hockey world.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

See Switzerland.

[/QUOTE]

Olympic hockey allows them to do their schtick, over the long haul in playoff hockey their style won't work,they would have to score more than 1 goal a game and their goalie won't get 16 shutouts.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ward, Brodeur, Miller, Thomas could all be available.   StL is a blue collar working mans team with a fantastic defense.  As Chowda pts out scoring is a big concern for them to advance.  All teams play a trap shutdown style when the playoffs come.  They could use another game breaker up front.  As for their goalies.  If hot Halak can win a few series on his own.  

[/QUOTE]

If I were a team looking to upgrade my goaltending I'd atleast take a look at Ward. With Khudobin playing well and him being injured the last couple of years he may come pretty cheap. Kind of a gamble with the injuries, but if he can stay healthy he's one of the better ones.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If I were a team looking to upgrade my goaltending I'd atleast take a look at Ward. With Khudobin playing well and him being injured the last couple of years he may come pretty cheap. Kind of a gamble with the injuries, but if he can stay healthy he's one of the better ones.

[/QUOTE]

I think ward might be the hidden gem.  His injuries are an obvious concern.   Ive always liked Ward.   I bet Carolina would like to get outta that contract.   

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

Sobotka will be back come March. Watchout for the St.Louis Blues.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think ward might be the hidden gem.  His injuries are an obvious concern.   Ive always liked Ward.   I bet Carolina would like to get outta that contract.   

[/QUOTE]

I like Cam Ward, but there's far too many other goalie's I would take above him now. Including Khudobin. I don't know if he'll ever be what he once was.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

See Switzerland.

[/QUOTE]

See the rest of the hockey world.

[/QUOTE]

Chowda, I'm not the only one who says that St. Louis' goaltending is an issue. I'm not the only one who says that they're in hot pursuit of Ryan Miller. Regardless of the goal scoring issues. That doesn't seem to be the "glaring" concern come play-off time every year. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Chowda, I'm not the only one who says that St. Louis' goaltending is an issue. I'm not the only one who says that they're in hot pursuit of Ryan Miller. Regardless of the goal scoring issues. That doesn't seem to be the "glaring" concern come play-off time every year. 

[/QUOTE]

And I understand the concerns regarding the Blues goaltending issues. It has some validity to it.

But I think you're way off when you brush off their inability to score. 

I'm using your description of "weak" in not thinking it's a major reason why they haven't advanced while directing your criticism at the goalies making saves at the right time.

What difference does it make when the Blues........haven't been able to score ?

Going all game and making "that" save means nothing when there is no offence to follow.

Sections
Shortcuts