Why the realignment?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Re: Why the realignment?

I understand wanting to preserve some old rivalries, but having Boston in the Central Division and Columbus in the Atlantic makes absolutely no geographic sense when Columbus is well west of Boston. How is Boston not an Atlantic team? Boston is literally on the Atlantic.

I also don't like expanding the post-season to 20 participants. That means 2 out of 3 teams would make the playoffs. The regular season would be essentially worthless. I'd rather see some more minor tweaks made to the current format. Another problem is accommodating relocation and expansion. Realistically, there will be three new cities with teams in the next few years: one for the relocated Coyotes (probably Seattle), one for Quebec City (which is already building a new arena), and a third one for some other city (Kansas City? Hamilton?) in order to keep the number of teams in the league at an even number.

If we absolutely must have realignment, I'd like something as follows:

EAST

North Atlantic (5) - Boston, Buffalo, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto.

Mid Atlantic (5) - New York, New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh.

Southeast (5) - Carolina, Florida, Nashville, Tampa Bay, Washington.

WEST

Mid Central (5) - Chicago, Columbus, Detroit, Minnesota, St. Louis.

Mountain (5) - Calgary, Edmonton, Seattle, Vancouver, Winnipeg.

Southwest (5) - Anaheim, Colorado, Dallas, Los Angeles, San Jose.

Each team plays 4 division rivals 8 times (4 home, 4 away) for a total of 32 games.

Each team plays 10 intra-conference rivals 4 times (2 home, 2 away) for a total of 40 games.

Each team plays 2 games against 5 cross-conference rivals (1 home, 1 away) from the same cross-conference division for a total of 10 games. These divisions rotate by year:

Y1 -

North Atlantic (EAST) vs. Mid Central (WEST)

Mid Atlantic (EAST) vs. Mountain (WEST)

Southeast (EAST) vs. Southwest (WEST)

Y2 -

North Atlantic (EAST) vs. Mountain (WEST)

Mid Atlantic (EAST) vs. Southwest (WEST)

Southeast (EAST) vs. Mid Central (WEST)

Y3 -

North Atlantic (EAST) vs. Southwest (WEST)

Mid Atlantic (EAST) vs. Mid Central (WEST)

Southeast (EAST) vs. Mountain (WEST)

The total number of games in a season remains at 82. Travel is significanly reduced. Schedules are identical for every team within the same division. There are still a limited number of cross-conference games (10 of the 82). Everybody is guaranteed to play everybody within a 3 year period.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I see a whole whack of problems with your proposal, as it doesn't fix most of the current flaws.

First, you're going to conitnue to make it so hockey fans have to wait three years to see all the teams play. As a Bruins fan living in Vancouver, I think that completely sucks.

With yiour division lineups, next to nothing is fixed, and you've made a few things worse. You've pulled Nashville into a different time zone and increased their travel time. Instead of the Jets having to cross one time zone for divisional play, they are now crossing two. Dallas would be left with one the worst schedules in the league, without a single division away game in their own time zone. Colorado also wouldn't have any games against MT teams in their division. Detroit and Columbus stay stuck in the west.

Also under the proposed system, the playoffs would stay at 16 teams.

You're taking a bad system that we currently have and actually are making it worse.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

In response to davidap's comment:

I understand wanting to preserve some old rivalries, but having Boston in the Central Division and Columbus in the Atlantic makes absolutely no geographic sense when Columbus is well west of Boston. How is Boston not an Atlantic team? Boston is literally on the Atlantic.

Conference names should not be a showstopper. There's always a chance (slight?) of them going back to the old names (Adams, Patrick, Norris, Smythe) or even to more recent names (Orr, Gretzky, etc.).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I hope they wouldn't go with more modern names for anything.  It just reeks of cheese, like the Mark Messier Leadership Award.

The guy should be dead to have something named after him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

A cool link about realignment

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post/_/id/8995100/would-realignment-improve-nhl

What's cool about it isn't the article - that's mainly just reader comments. What's cool is the poll. After you vote you can see the overall poll results, with about 40,000 votes cast so far. But it actually tracks it state by state. If you scroll over a state it will show you how they voted in terms of if it's good for the league or bad. Every state comes out in the good column, with unsurprisingly Illinois being the most split (likely because of Detroit's move away from Chicago) with a 52-48 split. Mass. is a 66-34 split.

Unsurprisingly Texas and Michigan are highly in favour of it, but I was a little surprised to see Florida supporting it - 66-34. (I was also surprised that there are 58 people in Hawaii who care about the NHL)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

So how about the Masterton and Morenz conferences? I'm only half kidding.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to red75's comment:

So how about the Masterton and Morenz conferences? I'm only half kidding.

That is cold, Red.  Why not go with the Goldworthy Conference as well?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I've got a morbid sense of humour, but even I have my limits (I stopped myself from posting all car-wreck divisions)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

i don't like the new format. Too many teams in the division..Now we'll play Tampa and Florida as much as we play Montreal. I know the thought here too, they figure the teams in the divsion have people who moved to Florida, therefor will go to the games...I dont know about that..

How awesome would a division of all original six teams be?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

i don't like the new format. Too many teams in the division..Now we'll play Tampa and Florida as much as we play Montreal. I know the thought here too, they figure the teams in the divsion have people who moved to Florida, therefor will go to the games...I dont know about that..

How awesome would a division of all original six teams be?

I have been to Leafs, Habs and Bruins in Florida this year.

You wouldn't believe the fanbases of those teams.

I'm proud to say that "Let's Go Bruins" was the loudest chant of all.  The Leafs fans were louder than the Habs fans during the game.

The worst part was walking out after the Habs OT victory and being surrounded by their fans and the "Ole Ole" chant.  Ugh. Misery.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416887

From the article:

The playoff format calls for the top three teams in each division to earn post-season berths. The remaining four spots would go to wild-card teams, the top two records remaining in each conference. That means there's a possibility five teams make it from one division and only three from another.

It would be divisional playoffs, not conference playoffs, so 1 vs. 4, 2 vs 3 in the first round. The two fourth seeds would be made up of the wild-card teams. The top division winner based on regular-season points in the standings would face off against the lower-ranked wild-card team. The other division winner would play the higher-ranked wild-card.

Like this a whole bunch, like.....allot!

PS. "How is Boston not an Atlantic team? Boston is literally on the Atlantic."

Hey when did that happen ?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Thousands of years ago? Look at a map.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to davidap's comment:

Thousands of years ago? Look at a map.

You clearly missed the sarcasm.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

No end to the dumb suggestions. The talking heads on sports radio out here are saying that the only way to get travel balance is to align the conferences North South and get rid of the East West division, giving all teams close to equal travel schedules. Problem is this would kill half the league.

If you take the 15 most southern teams, you end up with a of conference of SJ, Anaheim, LA, Phoenix, Dallas, Nashville, St. Louis, Florida, Columbus, Tampa Bay, Colorado, Washington, Carolina, and I think Philly and Pitts. The north would be Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Minnesota, Chicago, Boston, Toronto, Montreal, Rangers, Detroit, Isles, Ottawa, Buffalo and NJ. That means the 11 most  profitable teams from last season (The Original Six plus the other Canadian clubs) would all be in the same conference. The only true bottom feeder in that conference would be NYI. That could cause major revenue disparity, even more than already exists.

I keep on getting surprised by supposed experts who bring up these ideas.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I hope they wouldn't go with more modern names for anything.  It just reeks of cheese, like the Mark Messier Leadership Award.

He is to many Nuck fans after his disasterous tenure there as a player in the mid-nineties.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Easy solution to many travel problems:

Move the franchises in Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Moving the Dakotas, Saskatchewan, Kansas, Oklahoma, Montana, Wyoming, and Arkansas out of the way would work too. Really, who would miss them?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Moving the Dakotas, Saskatchewan, Kansas, Oklahoma, Montana, Wyoming, and Arkansas out of the way would work too. Really, who would miss them?

Walmart ?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Walmart ?

Used pick-up truck salesmen?

(and before our resident Saskatooner takes affront, what do you expect? I'm a Bombers/Troy Westwood fan ;) )

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Some comments from Kelly, Lucic and CJ on the realignment

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/bruins/post/_/id/11040/players-ok-with-league-realignment

Good quote from Lucic:

"They should definitely come up with some cool group names. I mean, we're called the Central right now and we can look at the Atlantic Ocean walking out of the rink."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/21780081/nhl-realignment-with-no-perfect-solution-nhl-should-wait

"If Phoenix stays, great. Expansion teams get added to Quebec City and Markham, Ontario. If the Coyotes move, then they go to Seattle or Portland (or if they go to Quebec City before expansion then a new franchise goes to Seattle or Portland). With more teams in the East you're once again going to have some juggling to do."

With some western teams complaining about the inbalance. This writer takes a crack at that naughty word in Canada "expansion".

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Conference 1                   Conference 2
    Carolina Hurricanes         Boston Bruins
    Markham                        Buffalo Sabres
    New Jersey Devils           Quebec City
    New York Islanders         Florida Panthers
    New York Rangers           Montreal Canadiens
    Philadelphia Flyers          Ottawa Senators
    Pittsburgh Penguins        Tampa Bay Lightning
    Washington Capitals       Toronto Maple Leafs

Conference 3                   Conference 4
    Chicago Blackhawks        Anaheim Ducks
    Detroit Red Wings           Calgary Flames
    Dallas Stars                     Edmonton Oilers
    Minnesota Wild                Los Angeles Kings
    Nashville Predators     Phoenix/Seattle/Portland
    St. Louis Blues                 San Jose Sharks
    Winnipeg Jets                  Vancouver Canucks
    Columbus Blue Jackets    Colorado Avalanche

Thats the suggestion

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Markham                        Buffalo Sabres
    New Jersey Devils           Quebec City

Detroit Red Wings           Calgary Flames
    Nashville Predators     Phoenix/Seattle/Portland
    Columbus Blue Jackets    Colorado Avalanche

Thats the suggestion

Detroit and Columbus would not be pleased, and it seems weird to me to have two Toronto teams in different divisions (though I can't see an easy fix for that.

I wonder if the proposed structure suggests Markham and Quebec are less likely destinations now (except for a move within the east) and that Seattle, Portland, Houston, KC, Salt Lake, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Saskatoon (longterm), SanFran, or, godforbid, Vegas, have moved up in the pecking order. I don't think more than a handful of those options would be viable, but that hasn't stopped the NHL before.

IMO there three potentially viable hockey towns in the West right now - Portland, Seattle, and Milwaukee, that could handle a Phoenix move and a possible expansion by two, with Houston having an outside shot at viability, and Saskatoon ready in 10-15 years if Saskatchewan's rapid growth continues. It could be that Quebec and Markham will get the short stick.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Perhaps a ong-term linup that looks like

Columbus                       Buffalo Sabres
    New Jersey Devils           Detroit

Milwaukee                     Calgary Flames
    Nashville Predators           Seattle
    Colorado Avalanche           Portland

Markham and Quebec could potentially be accomodated by moves from Columbus and Florida, with Tampa moving into conference 1.

Tampa Bay                       Buffalo Sabres
    New Jersey Devils           Detroit
    New York Islanders         Quebec
    Pittsburgh Penguins        Markham

Seems geographically sound and stronger financially than the current league.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

The league is also adding 2 wild card spots in each conference - to bilk more money from the fans.

This move renders the regular season totally meaningless and useless. Whoopie, after an 82 game schedule, only 2 teams in each conference don't make the play-offs.

A team can take weeks and months off, at a time, a few times a year, and still get in. I  reckon teams won't even bother breaking a sweat most nights. Wow! Thanks NHL. If you don't look out for me, who will?

Sections
Shortcuts