Why the referee did not call the crosscheck in the back from Weaver on Lucic and earlier on Brad Marchand

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Why the referee did not call the crosscheck in the back from Weaver on Lucic and earlier on Brad Marchand

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Good thing the Bruins have a great PK becuse that could have been a momentum swing. Nobody is questioning why Milan got angry, he was right to be POd, but it's selfish to think getting a 10min mis-conduct is ok when you team is trying to win a game. Just be more careful and that means not taking stupid penalties, retaliation penalties are just plain dumb.

San, I guess the point is that the team and coach were OK with his reaction regardless of how the fan base was affected. They probably would've felt differently had the Panthers scored a couple on the PP. No big deal when all is said and done.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Re: Why the referee did not call the crosscheck in the back from Weaver on Lucic and earlier on Brad Marchand

Maybe he thought he was doing Boston a favor by not putting them on the powerplay.

I wouldn't mind if Lucic gave him that first crosscheck, but getting 4 minutes and a 10 minute misconduct at the end of the second in a 3-1 game is not good. Luckily their PK is unbelievably good.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Lucic could have kept his mouth under control IF he had not been crosschecked into the boards, HEADFIRST. If Lee had called the initial penalty on Weaver, who had pulled the same move earlier; He was upset and re-acted. Once to Weaver, and then once to a stupid call by the ref. Nuff said, Claude said 'no harm.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jburtt. Show jburtt's posts

The fact that there was no injury on this play does not make it any less dangerous. Weaver should have be penalized. The idiots that say it was no big deal have never seen someone sent into the boards headfirst and be carried off on a stretcher. When you can see the number and they are facing the boards you do not hit. Those are potential broken necks, no matter who gets hit. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

Anyone notice Weaver's expression after the hit........kinda "oh damn, I'm getting a penalty".

Obvious to him, and the rest of the world.

It's terrible that a ref would clearly see this infraction, and make the concious decision to  disregard it.  Even more stupid, is the fact he could have made an easy correction when the crap started after the play.(roughing minors, diving)  Easy, easy easy way to then get it right. 

I don't prefer yanging about the refs.  Tough job they have and it's ridiculous to expect perfection.  This is different here though.  No question he see's everything.  Is given an opportunity to get it right, and still blows it, PLUS, the league is "all over" this type of penalty.  That points to good old fashioned incompetence.

As far as Lucic, there isn't much excuse.  Appears he was going after Weaver anyway, so the penalty argument doesn't fit.  Opposing teams make note of those kinds of reactions, and it's not usually to guage fear.  It's to gain advantage.  Lucic is a significant cog in the wheel, and needs to pick his spots better.

Yes & he picked his spot with a 2 goal lead & plays for the best penalty killing team in the league going against one of the worse PP's in the league. I'd say that's a perfect spot to be in to react to a cheapshot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Now that I think about it I kinda like it. The Bruins have been playing very friendly this year. Good to see the emotion like that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Yes & he picked his spot with a 2 goal lead & plays for the best penalty killing team in the league going against one of the worse PP's in the league. I'd say that's a perfect spot to be in to react to a cheapshot.

Now we're getting a little carried away.  'Picked his spot'?? You can easily defend this as a reactionary thing, which is what everyone above has been doing. 

But let's not pretend it was a strategic decision.  I can live with it, as a snap reaction to being cheapshoted and sticking up for himself.

But if Lucic calculated that the 2nd period of a close game was a good time to give the other team 2 powerplays, take himself off the ice for 14 minutes, and not actually leave scratch on Weaver, then that was a pretty dumb strategy.

Like I said, everyone can forgive him for losing his head for a minute and coming back at Weaver.  But it certainly wasn't more than that, and he wasn't carrying out some cunning strategy.  He's an angry beast out there, which is why we like him even if more restraint is sometimes needed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I have no problem with Lucic reacting the way he did and when he did it. If this was the playoffs or a game to decide the division, i think Milan would likely have reacted differently and just took a number. As said earlier, if the ref had done his job as a professional referee with high quality training then everything would have been fine.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Now we're getting a little carried away.  'Picked his spot'?? You can easily defend this as a reactionary thing, which is what everyone above has been doing. 

But let's not pretend it was a strategic decision.  I can live with it, as a snap reaction to being cheapshoted and sticking up for himself.

But if Lucic calculated that the 2nd period of a close game was a good time to give the other team 2 powerplays, take himself off the ice for 14 minutes, and not actually leave scratch on Weaver, then that was a pretty dumb strategy.

Like I said, everyone can forgive him for losing his head for a minute and coming back at Weaver.  But it certainly wasn't more than that, and he wasn't carrying out some cunning strategy.  He's an angry beast out there, which is why we like him even if more restraint is sometimes needed.

Relax Fletch...Lucic is a beast when he gets worked up. We can agree on the 10 min being stupid on Lucic's part & disagree on his 4 min. I was being facetious & no way, shape, or form think that Lucic had any kind of strategy in his head. He would've reacted in the same manner no matter who it was against any team the exact same way. And I'm glad he does.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Lucic did exactly what he was supposed to do. Getting pushed head first into the boards from behind has to be answered immediately. If it was Bergeron who got hit and Lucic reacted that way nobody would be sayin sh1t. What ? Milan's head getting rattled around in his skull is acceptable because of who he is? What a bunch of krap. Pick your spots my azz. Somebody on that team other than Lucic should have given that kid a beatdown. There was plenty of time to respond when it was in hand, and if that means the win is in jeapordy, then that's just the way it goes. Take the penalty- and go win the game anyway.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

“When I looked at it between periods, it appeared to be a cross-check,” Bruins coach Claude Julien said of Weaver’s play. “And [Lucic] wasn’t quite close to the boards. We felt that there maybe could have been an original call and we could have been on the power play vs. being down for four minutes. That’s Milan showing his character. We like him for what he is. He just reacted to what he thought was a dangerous play on him. I’ll accept that. So will the team. As you saw, we made sure we killed that off.”

This is good enough for me! Awesome to see CJ back his players up like this. Too bad some of the fans don't! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

When a B's player takes a questionable hit and the team doesn't respond the critics are out in full force about their lack of intestinal fortitude regardless of the score or if there will be a resulting PP, when Lucic answers the bell in his own defence after a questionable hit the same applies here. He did the right thing,at the right time, why wait.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Good thing the Bruins have a great PK becuse that could have been a momentum swing. Nobody is questioning why Milan got angry, he was right to be POd, but it's selfish to think getting a 10min mis-conduct is ok when you team is trying to win a game. Just be more careful and that means not taking stupid penalties, retaliation penalties are just plain dumb.

San, I guess the point is that the team and coach were OK with his reaction regardless of how the fan base was affected. They probably would've felt differently had the Panthers scored a couple on the PP. No big deal when all is said and done.

Yah in hindsight it sure is. No matter how a coach feels he should always back his players in front of the media, it's up to the coach behind closed doors though.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Lucics message to weaver and anyone else who decides to crosscheck his numbers in a dangerous way, will be on notice of his retaliation, i like it, His message is simple, next time, look at my number first.

Sections
Shortcuts