Why the referee did not call the crosscheck in the back from Weaver on Lucic and earlier on Brad Marchand

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Why the referee did not call the crosscheck in the back from Weaver on Lucic and earlier on Brad Marchand

In response to hangnail's comment:

If Lucic got hurt - which he easily could have - we would have expected someone to go after Weaver.  He didn't, so he did it himself. 

I wouldn't downplay a crosscheck from behind that launches a player face first into the boards.  It was a dirty hit in my book.

Yeah, I thought it was dirty, but 2-minutes dirty, not worse.  It was a cross-check/shove from behind, not an attempt to run a guy through the boards.  While it would tick me off too, I didn't think it was all that dangerous.  Whatever, not a big deal in this game and the Bruins won, but I'd love to see Lucic 'take a number' and carry on instead.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

Re: Why the referee did not call the crosscheck in the back from Weaver on Lucic and earlier on Brad Marchand

In response to paulbking's comment:

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:

In response to croc's comment:

Real crappy series of calls.  What on Earth was the misconduct for?

Milan must have been giving shittt to the ref....but he almost got hurt on that play .the ref did not call Weaver so I think Looch did what he had to do ....how did the ref missed that call is it bevpcause it was Looch getting hit in the back ????  

yup!  thats what i thought too.  if looch did that to him.........it would be shanny time!

i wish someone would have smashed weaver though.

Me too, at some point someone should have addressed that

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

The Florida feed..."a good, clean hit by Weaver".  Good grief.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR432Q5EKtA

The Florida feed was very annoying, particularly during that sequence.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

In their defense, they changed their tune shortly after seeing a few replays of the "good, clean hit  by Weaver".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Yeah Fletch it was like they were trying to cover each other and talk themselves into thinking it was all on Lucic.  At any rate, he's Ok and the B's got the 2 points.  Get Weaver next time that's all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

BS! I bet if you're someone who can handle yourself on the ice you'd do the exact samething. With a hit like that it could've been serious & I'm extremely pleased that he had a reaction. There's such a thing as a selfish penalty, but that wasn't it! The 10 min misconduct was stupid. He had plenty of time to calm down & get back in the game to have a chat with Mr. Weaver. 

What's with the whole macho reaction to this thing?  I played hockey for a long time and took plenty of dumb/selfish penalties, so I'm not saying I'm above it.  But it was dumb.  Lucic was fine, and that hit wasn't that bad. Two minutes tops.  Sometimes the refs miss calls.  

I'm fine with getting revenge, but why can't you be a little smarter about it?  Take a number and light him up later in the game.  Chasing a guy down and throwing a fit in front of the ref doesn't help anything.  Do you honestly think Weaver would hesitate next time because of that?  It wasn't effective, if you're looking for revenge or sending a message.  All Lucic did was take 14 minutes of solo penalty time, over a marginal hit, while Weaver probably got high fives on the bench.  It was dumb.  Part of being tough is shaking yourself off after a hit instead of throwing a tantrum.  Even if the hit was a little dirty. 

I want Lucic to play tough, mean, and effective.  To me, that reaction was none of those things.

So its ok if u do it but Lucic is dumb for doing it? C'Mon. Man I don't blame him at all for that, the hit wasn't marginal it was blatant against the rules everyone knows it he got crosschecked face first into the boards, the misconduct I could certainly do without and Lucic needs to avoid that but I have no problem with his initial reaction.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'm fine with the reaction.  It can serve as a warning to others as well.  The misconduct was dumb, but we're not talking about a 50 year old doctor here.  He's young and full of energy.  He was worked up. 

Bruins victory.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

So its ok if u do it but Lucic is dumb for doing it? C'Mon. Man I don't blame him at all for that, the hit wasn't marginal it was blatant against the rules everyone knows it he got crosschecked face first into the boards, the misconduct I could certainly do without and Lucic needs to avoid that but I have no problem with his initial reaction.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, pretty much exactly what I'm saying.  Do I honestly need to explain why?  It was dumb for both of us, but one of us was playing in an NHL game

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

Lol, tell me what league that isn't a dirty hit in Mr Gretzky??

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to xdrive's comment:

Sigh, what are you talking about?  New here?  My point is that if I lose my temper in my lunch time drop-in skate it doesn't matter.  I can be a selfish buffoon all I want and completely flip out if I get boarded, or tripped, or called a mean name.  Lucic plays in the NHL.  There are consequences to taking dumb penalties.  Understand the difference?

You're being a drama queen about this anyhow.  He didn't "get crosschecked face first into the boards".  He got shoved from behind in a vulnerable spot and his helmet knocked into the boards, a little.  He jumped right up and wasn't injured at all.  It happens.  Now I would've been angry too and it should have been a penalty, but instead of doing something meaningful he took 14 PIMs and Weaver skated away without a scratch.

No big deal, but if you're asking, I would have preferred a different reaction.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

Unbelieveable that the ref doesn't make an insta call there. We've seen that called all year long, no brainer. 2 mins. minimum.

As for Looch's reaction, I don't blame him one bit. Just glad he was able to get up and do something......cause he could have been injured on that play.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I'm fine with the reaction.  It can serve as a warning to others as well.  The misconduct was dumb, but we're not talking about a 50 year old doctor here.  He's young and full of energy.  He was worked up. 

Bruins victory.

How would that 'warning' work?  Do you think Weaver actually paid a price for that?  I saw him throw a dirty hit, lie down on the ice for a fash wash, and then get rewarded with two powerplays and a misconduct on Lucic.

That's the part that annoyed me the most.  That scenario couldn't possibly be a deterrent for the next guy.  Probably the opposite.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

My opinion is Lucic reacted like most people would. No not new here at all but thanks for asking,  shove/crosscheck splitting hairs there it was a bad hit period, as I said the misconduct I could do without but no problem with his retaliation, idiot ref missed the call

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

My opinion is Lucic reacted like most people would. No not new here at all but thanks for asking,  shove/crosscheck splitting hairs there it was a bad hit period, as I said the misconduct I could do without but no problem with his retaliation, idiot ref missed the call

I agree with that.  Cheers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Bruins victory.

How would that 'warning' work?  Do you think Weaver actually paid a price for that?  I saw him throw a dirty hit, lie down on the ice for a fash wash, and then get rewarded with two powerplays and a misconduct on Lucic.

That's the part that annoyed me the most.  That scenario couldn't possibly be a deterrent for the next guy.  Probably the opposite.

Weaver got a pretty good cross check to the back for his troubles. I think it shows if you hit Lucic like that he's not going to wait for the ref to call it he's going to take into his own hands...is that good? Will teams try to goad him into taking a penalty? I don't know for sure but i would think some guys would not want to trade a possible beating for a power play.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

It was enough force to throw a 230-240 pound guy face 1st into the boards, good for Looch to hit em back, dumb to keep going and get the 10 tho. All in all a good win and nobody injured :-)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Orrthebest's comment:

It was typical of Chris Lee.  He is by far the worst Ref in the NHL.

Sorry, that distinction belongs to Don Van Massenhorrible without question.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I saw the gm on this feed and Bill Lindsay is a buffoon but he's still not as bad as the fool Bob Errey.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Anyone notice Weaver's expression after the hit........kinda "oh damn, I'm getting a penalty".

Obvious to him, and the rest of the world.

It's terrible that a ref would clearly see this infraction, and make the concious decision to  disregard it.  Even more stupid, is the fact he could have made an easy correction when the crap started after the play.(roughing minors, diving)  Easy, easy easy way to then get it right. 

I don't prefer yanging about the refs.  Tough job they have and it's ridiculous to expect perfection.  This is different here though.  No question he see's everything.  Is given an opportunity to get it right, and still blows it, PLUS, the league is "all over" this type of penalty.  That points to good old fashioned incompetence.

As far as Lucic, there isn't much excuse.  Appears he was going after Weaver anyway, so the penalty argument doesn't fit.  Opposing teams make note of those kinds of reactions, and it's not usually to guage fear.  It's to gain advantage.  Lucic is a significant cog in the wheel, and needs to pick his spots better.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

Sigh, what are you talking about?  New here?  My point is that if I lose my temper in my lunch time drop-in skate it doesn't matter.  I can be a selfish buffoon all I want and completely flip out if I get boarded, or tripped, or called a mean name.  Lucic plays in the NHL.  There are consequences to taking dumb penalties.  Understand the difference?

You're being a drama queen about this anyhow.  He didn't "get crosschecked face first into the boards".  He got shoved from behind in a vulnerable spot and his helmet knocked into the boards, a little.  He jumped right up and wasn't injured at all.  It happens.  Now I would've been angry too and it should have been a penalty, but instead of doing something meaningful he took 14 PIMs and Weaver skated away without a scratch.

No big deal, but if you're asking, I would have preferred a different reaction.

So how close does it have to be to breaking his neck before its Ok to react this way? I'm sure his teamamates were OK with his reaction. His coach certainly was. Would more discretion be wise by Luc? Maybe, but I like the reaction. I'd support any teamamte of mine who reacts siimilarly.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

The more I watch this hit, the more unbelievable it is to me that it won't be reviewed.  If Weaver really thought it was clean, he would have stood up for himself after getting cross checked; if for no other reason than to sy "Hey, I hit you fair and square Looch, get over it".  Instead, he turtles and hopes he doesn't get beaten into tomorrow. 

OrrandPapi is right, players have broken their necks on lesser hits than that one.  It should be reviewed and punished.  It was a cheap, greasy play that could have resulted in significant injury.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

One thing Lucic can do is learn to control himself after he gets hit, even if it is dirty.  This isn't the first time we've seen it.  It's selfish to run a guy down because you're upset about being hit.  The team has to kill off a 4 minute penalty.  I didn't see Brian Campbell freak out when they called a total phantom hook on him after Bergeron stepped on the puck.  And the B's promptly scored on the powerplay.

That said, I have no idea why it wasn't called.  Plenty of time to see him, hit from behind square in the numbers, and Lucic went into the boards head first.  Not the worst thing I've ever seen, but two minutes for sure.

First of all it wasnt a hit on Lucic, it was a crosscheck to the numbers to his face in the boards and 2nd of all, if you watch the video, campbell hooked bergeron low, then high forcing bergeron to step on the puck, if campbell had of stuck to one hook only, it likely never gets called, the 2 hooks caused bergeron to lose his footing or balance .

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to cowboys9's comment:

One thing Lucic can do is learn to control himself after he gets hit, even if it is dirty.  This isn't the first time we've seen it.  It's selfish to run a guy down because you're upset about being hit.  The team has to kill off a 4 minute penalty.  

That said, I have no idea why it wasn't called.  Plenty of time to see him, hit from behind square in the numbers, and Lucic went into the boards head first.  Not the worst thing I've ever seen, but two minutes for sure.

I like Lucic a lot and he brings a lot to the table, but seriously, Julien would not have like Lucic taking a retaliation penalty,  especially a four minute job... and put the team in a spot.

+2!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

In response to cowboys9's comment:

One thing Lucic can do is learn to control himself after he gets hit, even if it is dirty.  This isn't the first time we've seen it.  It's selfish to run a guy down because you're upset about being hit.  The team has to kill off a 4 minute penalty.  

I like Lucic a lot and he brings a lot to the table, but seriously, Julien would not have like Lucic taking a retaliation penalty,  especially a four minute job... and put the team in a spot.

+2!

Julien regarding the play in question:

¬úThat (Lucic going after Weaver) is Milan showing his character. He just reacted to what he thought was a dangerous play on him. I'll accept that and so will the team, as you saw, when we made sure we killed that off.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Good thing the Bruins have a great PK becuse that could have been a momentum swing. Nobody is questioning why Milan got angry, he was right to be POd, but it's selfish to think getting a 10min mis-conduct is ok when you team is trying to win a game. Just be more careful and that means not taking stupid penalties, retaliation penalties are just plain dumb.

Sections
Shortcuts