Wideman

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

Wideman

What a shock (sarcasm) to see that Wideman's stick was involved in yet another forgettable moment in his career!  Not positive he tipped it, I'm sure many of you have disected it, but when I realized it was him I just laughed and thought how many times did he do things like that in Boston!

He reminds me of Brian McCabe...just can't seem to do anything right.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Wideman

A truly tragic figure on the NHL stage.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

lol-I remember watching him in a game against the Leafs in OT he went into the leafs zone deep and just fell over untouched
    The leafs went down and scored. What a stiff
    Wideman for Horton what a steal!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I picked on Wideman quit a bit one here when he was in Boston. I thought he played Kelly correct on the game winning shot. Made Chris skate out wide then got his stick out but Chris sniped it. I did not see Wideman's stick touch the puck on the play after watching a few replays last night.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

If there was contact with Wideman's stick it hardly changed the location of the shot. He just plain beat Holtby. I have a feeling thats going to be a baloon popper type for him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Wideman:
    [QUOTE]I picked on Wideman quit a bit one here when he was in Boston. I thought he played Kelly correct on the game winning shot. Made Chris skate out wide then got his stick out but Chris sniped it. I did not see Wideman's stick touch the puck on the play after watching a few replays last night.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Neither did I, thats one Holtby would like to have back.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

[QUOTE]If there was contact with Wideman's stick it hardly changed the location of the shot. He just plain beat Holtby. I have a feeling thats going to be a baloon popper type for him.
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]

I watched the replay they have with the KPD story/video, it looks like he may have just grazed it but I agree that it didn't appear to change it's trajectory, just wobbled it slightly.  I'm definitely not a physics expert!

Guess it was a convenient thing for Don Cherry to use to try and shiled the Rookie!  Wideman...really, if you think about it, who else could it have been!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Wideman:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wideman : one Holtby would like to have back. Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

Positionally and calmness were impressive to me. What were your thoughts on Holtby last night ?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Wideman didn't touch the puck. It was a nice shot, and the kind of play that Holtby regrets, I'm sure, but no goalie is perfect. It was also an awesome, fast breakout that gave Kelly lots of space... the save was harder than it looked because Kelly had half the ice available due to the transition and had options.  I was never a big Wideman basher, but he does make the most frustrating mental errors. I was watching the game with a girl who doesn't know much hockey.  When he faked the slapshot outside the blueline forcing his teamates offside she said, "That was pretty dumb".

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wideman : Positionally and calmness were impressive to me. What were your thoughts on Holtby last night ?

My response (just because it's "cute"), I would expect his first game to be good, if not his best.  Given what I've seen of his stats, a guy who is up and down between ahl and nhl and even a stint in the echl, I might expect we will see why he isn't a regular in the nhl at some point.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

That boarding call on Krejci was garbage...Wideman turning at the last second was horrible.

Also, it looked pretty clean. If it was deflected, it was early enough to the point where Holtby didn't see where the puck was headed or he hadn't committed to it yet.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Anyone remember the time when Wideman was a Bruin and he tried to clear the puck, only to have it hit a ref, the puck go behind him and an opposing player score on the ensuing breakaway? Classic. The collective groan from the crowd was priceless. I tried to find a youtube clip of it but I don't think there is one. Unfortunate.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

In response to "Re: Wideman": [QUOTE]Anyone remember the time when Wideman was a Bruin and he tried to clear the puck, only to have it hit a ref, the puck go behind him and an opposing player score on the ensuing breakaway? Classic. The collective groan from the crowd was priceless. I tried to find a youtube clip of it but I don't think there is one. Unfortunate. Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE] I also remember him blocking a shot at blue line,breaking his as a result and the other team scoring. I think it was in the playoffs. The list goes on and on!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

On another thread there was a report on Holtby's play in Hershey. The writer indicated that Holtby gets rattled with net front pressure. We saw some where the puck was just sitting with no one laying a stick on it. The bruins third man high is built for this kind of goalie, and if Claude had not payed enough attention to the scouting reports, he should read our illuminating blogs. Let's see if Claude increases his crash the net attempts in game #2. Imo he should also use Caron to replace Peverly with Kreji. Allready told this is a poor choice, but crashing the net front and being big enough to counter the Caps defense, is Caron's game in spades.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

bogie, get over it. Caron will NOT be put into the lineup. The Bruins have been playing awesome hockey, and Claude is not going to insert a 21 year old kid into the lineup because he thinks one guy crashing the net a little harder will be the answer. The third line is rolling like it never has before with Kelly between Rolston and Pouliot, and Peverley is far better than Caron. It would be a good matchup IF Caron was already in the lineup. But since he is not, well....tough break. Something tells me he'll start playing like a goalie no later than game 3.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Wideman": I also remember him blocking a shot at blue line,breaking his as a result and the other team scoring. I think it was in the playoffs. The list goes on and on!
    Posted by Nolakanookie[/QUOTE]

Heh...you know, I used to really get on the guy's case when he was with the B's because of his obvious bad karma, but now I am much more empathetic. I mean, how can one guy have such bad luck? At least he is a millionaire which likely softens the blow of the number of embarrassing moments this guy has piled up over the years.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]On another thread there was a report on Holtby's play in Hershey. The writer indicated that Holtby gets rattled with net front pressure. We saw some where the puck was just sitting with no one laying a stick on it. The bruins third man high is built for this kind of goalie, and if Claude had not payed enough attention to the scouting reports, he should read our illuminating blogs. Let's see if Claude increases his crash the net attempts in game #2. Imo he should also use Caron to replace Peverly with Kreji. Allready told this is a poor choice, but crashing the net front and being big enough to counter the Caps defense, is Caron's game in spades.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

Sorry bogie but taking Peverly out of the lineup for Caron would have me b*tching and complaining about Claude more then you do. Terribly bad idea !

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Wideman made the All-Star Game, and from what I've watched of him, he's still creating havoc with his shot in the offensive zone and I personally don't want him shooting from 10 feet inside the blue line. I'm tired of the Wideman bashing since he's now a bigger danger as the opponent. I'm more concerned that Corvo will turn it over at the wrong time, which he did often during the 2-month B's slump. I'd rather have Wideman than Corvo.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]Wideman made the All-Star Game, and from what I've watched of him, he's still creating havoc with his shot in the offensive zone and I personally don't want him shooting from 10 feet inside the blue line. I'm tired of the Wideman bashing since he's now a bigger danger as the opponent. I'm more concerned that Corvo will turn it over at the wrong time, which he did often during the 2-month B's slump. I'd rather have Wideman than Corvo.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Come on now Danny. You have to admit Wideman is more prone to monsterous gaffs at the worst moments than anyone. That is his fate. For old times sake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMdX_A2iLuM

This is why I don't mind him playing against the Bruins. For every excellent play he makes, there is one of these.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wideman : Come on now Danny. You have to admit Wideman is more prone to monsterous gaffs at the worst moments than anyone. That is his fate. For old times sake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMdX_A2iLuM This is why I don't mind him playing against the Bruins. For every excellent play he makes, there is one of these.
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

People always post that clip of Wideman, and always talk about his poor play and is "monsterous gaffs".

The guy is a good NHL player.  He's not on the ice to be a shutdown defenseman.  He covers when he can and is pretty good offensively.   The people of Boston ran him out of town because Boyes rung up 44 (or close) the following year while the B's struggled.

Yes, Wideman was on the Kelly play.  He did what he was supposed to do.  I'd much rather have him than Boychuk or Corvo on the ice.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wideman : People always post that clip of Wideman, and always talk about his poor play and is "monsterous gaffs". The guy is a good NHL player.  He's not on the ice to be a shutdown defenseman.  He covers when he can and is pretty good offensively.   The people of Boston ran him out of town because Boyes rung up 44 (or close) the following year while the B's struggled. Yes, Wideman was on the Kelly play.  He did what he was supposed to do.  I'd much rather have him than Boychuk or Corvo on the ice.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I am glad he is a good NHL player. But I am even more glad he is on the opposing team.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

This is appropriate to re-post here:

"what's worse?  corvo in your bottom pairing or wideman in your top pairing?"
    Posted by Karl-Hungus

Says it all if you ask me. Wideman isn't nearly as bad as Bruins fans make him out to be, but he has no business being on "our" team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I defended Wideman for a long time, and still think his net contribution to the team was positive.  Man though, when he messed up it was often in the most spectacularly visible of ways.  I don't remember ever seeing a player with such an uncanny knack for killing momentum.

When he kept away from that, though, he was pretty good.  I think his "failure" in Boston happened for the same reason Corvo (and every other 'offensive defenseman' brought in) has struggled.  That playstyle just doesn't work either with the rest of the players on the team or Julien's system.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wideman : Positionally and calmness were impressive to me. What were your thoughts on Holtby last night ?

Cool under pressure, gave his team a chance to win the game, which is all you can ask of a 3rd stringer playing his first NHL playoff game on the road against the defending champs. I'm interested to see how he responds in Game 2. If I were the Bruins, I'd work on getting him to move more, the Caps blocked more shots thans usual due to the fact that he was playing, I'd try to get the puck down low on him and create more chances from down low rather then shots from the point.

After what I saw in game 1, I'd also might see how he reacts to some sticks under the glove while he's tying up the puck, don't take a stupid penalty, be careful, but it looks like he might be the one to take the penalty if you do it right. I'd come across the crease and hit his stick, have my feet hit his, make innocent contact with him. He'll bite.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I'm still taking Wideman over Corvo every day of the week. Wideman is an offensive type defensman. Coffey used to be one of the worst defensive d-men ever, but people overlooked that because he can do so much to offset with his offense and skillset. No comparision between Corvo and Wideman as Wideman is a far better player overall. I'll take Dennis on my team without hesitation.