Wideman

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Wideman

In Response to Re: Wideman:
    [QUOTE]I'm still taking Wideman over Corvo every day of the week. Wideman is an offensive type defensman. Coffey used to be one of the worst defensive d-men ever, but people overlooked that because he can do so much to offset with his offense and skillset. No comparision between Corvo and Wideman as Wideman is a far better player overall. I'll take Dennis on my team without hesitation.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

This I can agree to. Unlike NAS, I would prefer Boychuk to Wideman, however.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

In response to "Re: Wideman": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wideman : People always post that clip of Wideman, and always talk about his poor play and is "monsterous gaffs". The guy is a good NHL player.  He's not on the ice to be a shutdown defenseman.  He covers when he can and is pretty good offensively.   The people of Boston ran him out of town because Boyes rung up 44 (or close) the following year while the B's struggled. Yes, Wideman was on the Kelly play.  He did what he was supposed to do.  I'd much rather have him than Boychuk or Corvo on the ice. Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE] I guess the underlying point of the discussion was to point out the fact that if it wasn't for bad luck he'd have no luck at all. It's like I said, shades of Brian McCabe. I think Cherry's constant blaming those goals on the defensemen's sticks is overblown.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

yeah, I'm keeping Boychuk as well. But it's because the B's defense has developed into strong pairings. With Zanon, he's another example of the guy who can play the defensive zone game. Boychuk can shoot when he wants to and he's a punishing checker. That's a theme with all the B's D. Ference, Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, McQuaid and Zanon (notice I don't include Corvo). They can all hit you and they can all shut you down. Maybe Wideman would not fit in the B's system today, but I still insist that he's an offensive threat for pretty much most teams and he's proven to find a good fit with Washington.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bear-in-the-woods. Show bear-in-the-woods's posts

One thing I always liked about Wideman: the guy is tough as nails.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I think some are not getting the point of the thread. No one is disputing that he is a good hockeyplayer. As Nolakanookie points out, he just seems to be cursed with bad luck. Let's be honest, he gets paid to be a top 2 D man but is anyone really comfortable with him playing that role? Wideman is paid more than any Bruin defenceman who is not named Chara. Would we as Bruin fans be fine with him assuming a top 2 role in boston instead of Seidenberg? Yes, he is better than Corvo but is also paid much more than Joe. Thus, the expectations are more for him.

Its not his skill, or toughness,  that is the problem but his uncomprehensibly bad luck....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

Why is it that almost every player that leaves boston is all of a sudden a bumb? I for one would welcome widemans 46 points on the blue line with open arms. He's had a great season. Sure there are parts of his game that can frustrate a fan. But 46 points makes him a top notch offensive d man.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Pauly, I personally would prefer Seidenberg's 23 points and +15 over Wideman's 46 points and -8. Seidenberg is cheaper and more effective in CJ's system than Wideman ever was. That's the difference. If PC decided to keep Wideman and his $4.5 million dollars what would he have had to sacrifice to keep him? Who would the Bruins have to get rid of? Would they have won the cup last year if PC decided Wideman was worth having around? I don't know.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

[QUOTE]Pauly, I personally would prefer Seidenberg's 23 points and +15 over Wideman's 46 points and -8. Seidenberg is cheaper and more effective in CJ's system than Wideman ever was. That's the difference. If PC decided to keep Wideman and his $4.5 million dollars what would he have had to sacrifice to keep him? Who would the Bruins have to get rid of? Would they have won the cup last year if PC decided Wideman was worth having around? I don't know.
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE] Seidenberg is not a fair comparison, wideman couldn't carry his jock strap. I'm just saying give credit where credit is due.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wideman : Seidenberg is not a fair comparison, wideman couldn't carry his jock strap. I'm just saying give credit where credit is due.
    Posted by pauly1[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. Its just what Dennis is being paid makes him a top 2 d man which I don't think he is. But I do see your point.

Cheers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Why is it that almost every player that leaves boston is all of a sudden a bumb? I for one would welcome widemans 46 points on the blue line with open arms. He's had a great season. Sure there are parts of his game that can frustrate a fan. But 46 points makes him a top notch offensive d man.
    Posted by pauly1[/QUOTE]

What's a "bumb"?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wideman : What's a "bumb"?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

A mixture between dumb and a bum me thinks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wideman : What's a "bumb"?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE] Losers that go threw life pretending they where writers are BUMBS