Will be driving 6 hours to Boston to see parade, what advice do you have?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

Will be driving 6 hours to Boston to see parade, what advice do you have?

Now that the specific parade route has been released, and considering y'all have seen the parades for the Celtics, Sox, and Patriots, I'm looking for advice on my trip. Specifically, what time should I plan to line up so I will get a decent spot? What is the best way to get in to the parade area? (I'm assuming park outside the city and take the metro in? If so, which station do I go to?) finally, any of you going that wouldnt mind meeting up and sharing the festivities for a little bit?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Will be driving 6 hours to Boston to see parade, what advice do you have?

Park outside, take the train.  I would park at Alewife and take the red line in...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Braintree or Quincy Adams are also good places to park if you're coming from the west or south.

People are going to be lined up 100 deep on the route, so get to your spot early!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 24Reilly. Show 24Reilly's posts

i'm driving in over night Friday but I have a 8 hour drive. My Montreal Canadian cheering co-worker is sponsoring the trip as he showed up to work today with $1000 to pay up our bet. I can't wait to get to my favourite city to see this Stanley cup parade.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

I said I would go if it ever happned but I am leaning toward watcvhing the parade on NESN. The way I see it I will see way more of it watching on tv than say the breif moment it passes by me if I am there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

Get a hotel room in southern New Hampshire or on Rt. 495 or Rt. 93/95(aka 128).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

I'm coming up from New Jersey, leaving here around 2am to allow time for rest and food on the way. Going to be a LONG day, as after the parade we'll be heading right back as we have commitments down here early Sunday morning. Joy. But it will be worth it, I've been a Bruins fan since I moved to NH and discovered hockey in 84 when I was 10. I've literally waited all of my life for this, and I'm not going to miss it!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

My roadtrip will also be about 5 1/2 hours.  I am meeting up with a couple of us on this board . Leaving tomorrow (Friday afternoon) , maybe catch the Sox game. I'm  sleeping in Boston and will wake up early to meet up with the gang around 8am.
    Look out for a jersey with RuggedRyan on the back. You can't miss him, he's 6'4 .
    I should be there with him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan4778. Show bruinsfan4778's posts

Wish i could be there....(sigh)....:( :(:( :(

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

When I went to the Celtics parade in 08 I parked at the Woodland T station in Newton Lower Falls. Riverside is nearby. That's before Woodland but Riverside is always more crowded. When you are getting close pass the station(hardly any parking in the lot) and make a right on the next street. There is a nursing home or retirement home called the Golda Meir Home. There is usually some free parking on the street around there. At least for Sox games there is. If you are taking the Turnpike it is off right near 128 and the turnpike. The first one I believe on the Tpke is Woodland but on 128 Woodland is definitely first. It all depends where you are coming from.Since you live in Jersey and I live in Philly that is what I would suggest. I left the Philly area a little after 4 in the morning and got there after 10. Parade starts at 11 so you should just make it. I believe it is called the Green Line. There is metered parking on the street in front of Newton-Wellesley Hospital. That may be gone by then. Good luck.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrVmax. Show MrVmax's posts

I flew in from Colorado for game 6 and planned to stay for the week just in case there was a a parade (lifelong dream come true). I plan on heading into Boston late Friday night / early Saturday morning and will set up camp in my spot to wait for the festivities. As stated, this is a dream come true for me. Thank you Bruins!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Don't drive into the city, and stay away from Rt. 93 since the state is replacing bridges this weekend.  Park in Newton and take the Green line, Cambridge and take the Red line, Malden or JP and take the Orange line.  Stay the hell away from Boston with a car, trust me. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

If anyone is driving down from Eastern QC or the Maritimes, pick up the Downeaster Amtrak or Concord Coach Bus in Portland, Maine. Super-cheap, and an easy way to the city without all the traffic.

http://www.amtrakdowneaster.com/
    http://www.concordcoachlines.com/

Plus, Portland is a beautiful place to spend a day.

Otherwise, I'll echo the Alewife Station suggestion. Another though is Lechmere on the Green Line, parking in the CambridgeSide Galleria Mall lot.

Wish I could be there. I'll be watching on NESN. Oh well.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

I'll be looking, Legion, any idea where you guys will be lining up? I'll be the only person on the parade route who's #46 jersey still has Jonathan Gerard's name on it!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from habsno17. Show habsno17's posts

Dont wear either a Vancouver or a Habs jersey. And eat at Pizerria Regina in the North End, the original one.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krispy73. Show Krispy73's posts

Dave, find a parking lot somewhere in Brookline/Newton and take the Green Line in. You're coming in from Jersey and chances are you're coming down the Mass Pike not 95S. Brookline is the closest. Braintree is out of the way.

Take 95 - 91 - 90. Don't go 95 all the way.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Will be driving 6 hours to Boston to see parade, what advice do you have?:
    [QUOTE]I'll be looking, Legion, any idea where you guys will be lining up? I'll be the only person on the parade route who's #46 jersey still has Jonathan Gerard's name on it!!
    Posted by davecarr[/QUOTE]

Wow. I'm sure you are.  And even people who have his jersey don't spell his name right?  It's Girard, right?  Anyhow, who cares -- have fun!  Wish I could be there.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

LOL Fletcher! BUSTED! Silly ipad kept autocorrecting me to say "Geraldo", completely misses the 'I' ;) Thanks Krispy (Nice to hear from you, havent seen you in the game blogs in a while!) I live in Northwest Jersey so I can take 84 most of the way, then 90, to the Riverside station on the Green Line. Should get there early enough to not only get a parking spot, but get some rest before heading into the city :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

In Response to Re: Will be driving 6 hours to Boston to see parade, what advice do you have?:
    [QUOTE]Dave, find a parking lot somewhere in Brookline/Newton and take the Green Line in. You're coming in from Jersey and chances are you're coming down the Mass Pike not 95S. Brookline is the closest. Braintree is out of the way. Take 95 - 91 - 90. Don't go 95 all the way.
    Posted by Krispy73[/QUOTE]

I think Woodland in Newton is still the best. It's right at 128 and the Mass Pike. Riverside you have to pay for parking an there's usually a line. Like I said, make a right after Woodland and you'll find free parking on the street. And there is metred parking next to Newton-Wellesley Hospital. Even if he get's a ticket he's from out out of state and they don't go after them from what I've heard.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

[QUOTE]LOL Fletcher! BUSTED! Silly ipad kept autocorrecting me to say "Geraldo", completely misses the 'I' ;) Thanks Krispy (Nice to hear from you, havent seen you in the game blogs in a while!) I live in Northwest Jersey so I can take 84 most of the way, then 90, to the Riverside station on the Green Line. Should get there early enough to not only get a parking spot, but get some rest before heading into the city :)
    Posted by davecarr[/QUOTE]

I'm telling you, don't go to Riverside go to Woodland. Woodland is the first exit you will see on 128. If you're getting off the Mass Pike exit right(I think) and look for Route 16. You will pass Newton -Wellesley Hospital on the right and then you will see the Woodland mbta station. Go pass the station and make the first right . A hilly street. You will see the Golda Mier Nursing home to the right. There should be parking on that street. Riverside you have to pay and there is always a line to get in . Just my opinion. Good luck. Wish I could be there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from palealeman. Show palealeman's posts

wife @ i are taking the c@ j bus from dover n. h. drops us off at south station for a short walk to the route,watch the parade,have some lunch, afew beers and return to the bus for a relaxing ride home. cant wait!!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

Saw it too late (was already on the road at 1:30!) already here @ Riverside. Parking only $5 so no worries. Lot is slowly filling up, but lots of tailgating going on so wife and I are having fun! Will be riding into the city in a bit, got the collapsable chairs and ipad ready so we can stake out our spot comfortably! Hope all who are going have a great time!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

For everyone going to the parade have fun and rellish it. I know I would. Thought about driving 14 hours, but wussed out to watch it on tv. Just like I did with the whole season. I think I was able to watch 78 of 82 games this year then just about all the playoffs. NHL package will be purchased again next season.

Sections
Shortcuts