Will Chara be the same player?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Will Chara be the same player?

I feel a little crass in even asking this question, but with all the attention (understandably) focused on Pacioretty, there is the question of whether Chara will be hesistant to check anyone with anywhere near the intensity that he usually does.

We can't be in his head, but is he feeling guilty at all? Has he watched the endless loop of video?

All this is happening at a terrible time for the Bruins, b/c obviously they will need Chara to be the intimidating presence he normally is in the playoffs.

The most important thing is that pacioretty makes a full recovery, and I think even the most vehement Habs-haters hope he does, but this kind of thing can have an effect on the player who did the hitting as well....and Chara may not be the same player mentally--translating to physically--from this point onward.

thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Re: Will Chara be the same player?

This is something I have worried about some as well.  The issue is whether Chara can separate the guilt over causing an injury (which I bet he feels) from guilt over delivering the hit.  If he feels the latter, it could be a problem.  He might be enough of a veteran to go right back to how he was playing though.  I guess we will see some of it tonight.

Has Chara ever seriously injured someone before?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to Re: Will Chara be the same player?:
    This is something I have worried about some as well.  The issue is whether Chara can separate the guilt over causing an injury (which I bet he feels) from guilt over delivering the hit.  If he feels the latter, it could be a problem.  He might be enough of a veteran to go right back to how he was playing though.  I guess we will see some of it tonight. Has Chara ever seriously injured someone before?
    Posted by DrCC

Not to my knowledge. According to the league part of their decision not to suspend him was lack of any serious infractions over a 13-year career....that's a pretty good run, especially for one of the biggest--(and tallest ever)--players in league history.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i think the fact that the league cleared him of any wrongdoing is a good sign. he should not feel guilty- he played the game hard and by the rules. if he loses his physical game(we'll find out tonite), he loses his game. this won't happen in my opinion. there is assumed risk in any contact sport- i really have to believe they are concious of this fact.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Legitimate question and one we may find out thanswer to as early as tonight.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Mike Murphy's NHL release to the press he stated that there was no history of this type of play in Chara's NHL career (something along those lines) it's the Bruins Blog too bad Murphy doesn't rule on everything.

Do I think Chara will ease up on the same types of hits along the boards compared to the pre-Pacioretty hit Zdeno ? Yes TTBI for the time being I do but when the Bruins are in a tight game down a goal, maybe tonight, his usual hockey mentality will take over. I think Z will be smarter on hits along the boards in the middle of the ice initially but instincts he's been taught "finish all checks" will take over.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I said the same thing "He'll never be the same"  but I might have spoken too soon. 
    I can't predict or read Chara's mind although he really feels he did nothing dirty or intentional.  With this mindset he'll continue doing his job as a professional. Maybe his hits will be a little softer at first,  it's human nature.
    One thing for sure some players will try to use this against him. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Will Chara be the same player?:
    I feel a little crass in even asking this question, but with all the attention (understandably) focused on Pacioretty, there is the question of whether Chara will be hesistant to check anyone with anywhere near the intensity that he usually does. We can't be in his head, but is he feeling guilty at all? Has he watched the endless loop of video? All this is happening at a terrible time for the Bruins, b/c obviously they will need Chara to be the intimidating presence he normally is in the playoffs. The most important thing is that pacioretty makes a full recovery, and I think even the most vehement Habs-haters hope he does, but this kind of thing can have an effect on the player who did the hitting as well....and Chara may not be the same player mentally--translating to physically--from this point onward. thoughts?
    Posted by TryToBearIt

I'm having trouble imagining Chara playing even cleaner than he presently does.If anything,the fanbase's biggest complaint with Zee is that he hasn't been "mean" enough......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

I have been thinking the same thing.  He eased up on his slapshots after he broke the leg of Chuck Kobasew and the leg of an opposing player.  I also noticed that he played less physical after the birth of his daughter in the '09 playoffs, but that may have been due to a concealed injury. 

Time will tell.  I don't think that we will have an answer for some time, as it will take a while for the overall pattern of his play to emerge.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

Best thing is for Chara to paste Gaustad or McCormick into the boards and play on.  Boychuk and Seidenberg and McQuaid do the same and everybody's back in the game which is best when it's played hard and fast.  When you come back from injury or a long layoff, it's good to have contact to get you back in the game.  Chara should treat it the same way. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Chara will be fine - he's a professional and has seen it all in his 25 plus years of hockey.  No affect whatsoever.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from john6345. Show john6345's posts

If Chara was that type of player guys would be leaving on stretchers every game.I really believe thats why he rarely fights anymore.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I am worried about his as well.  I'm glad this isn't just before the playoffs and he has some time to shake it off.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Will Chara be the same player?:
    Best thing is for Chara to paste Gaustad or McCormick into the boards and play on.  Boychuk and Seidenberg and McQuaid do the same and everybody's back in the game which is best when it's played hard and fast.  When you come back from injury or a long layoff, it's good to have contact to get you back in the game.  Chara should treat it the same way. 
    Posted by huscroft28

I agree with this. If he starts out tentatively tonight then Buffalo will likely become more courageous and try to take advantage of this. If Chara comes out snarling, however, it could set the physical tone of the game.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I think the fact that Chara's playing at home is a huge factor. Hopefully some fans have some signs that say. "We know you're innocent!" "Chara didn't mean to do it!" That support will help him.

You can bet that Kaleta will be pushing buttons tonite!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

he will be fine....he's an athlete that has played a contact sport his entire life. you think this is the 1st person to leave the ice because of his physicality? hardly. i coach wrestling and athletes get hurt often(from serious head/neck injuries to compound fractures).  its an accepted risk of playing a full-contact sport. if a high school kid can move on after breaking a kids arm- i'm sure big Z will be just fine. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I dont know that Charas game changes that much, that was a frustration hit.. Thats not a hit he makes in most cases.. How many hits do we really see chara throw up ice or moving through the neutral zone?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

He shouldnt be.  He has never been deemed a dirty player.  Why should he change anything.  I want him to be more physical to be honest. 
    Chara is a captain for a reason(strong character).  I am not worried one bit.  everyone in the media is making this a side show circus. 
    He likely feels very bad but when you play the game you must know there is risk involved. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

IMO Chara will be Chara. He has never played with a mean streak. I enjoy Matt Kalman's Bruins blog, but his perception that the hit was "viscious" is way off base. The hit was the same as many other "along the boards" hits, many of which have put a player into the player's bench. No more, no less. I also think MAZZ was way off base in forecasting a suspension. Too often sports writers like MAZZ tend to sesationalize an action inorder to tittilate their readers. This was an unintentional injury from a legitimate check, no need by anyone to embellish the truth.

Sections
Shortcuts