Will January 7th be a blood bath?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Re: Will January 7th be a blood bath?

In Response to Re: Will January 7th be a blood bath?:
    [QUOTE]While not as crystal clear, I would also conclude, based on Rome's past history, that he did not intend to injure Horton. Romes' history?  Meaningless.  Cheap shot artists start have to start somewhere and this was a cheap shot...no debate at all...hence the suspension.   To any Bruins fan it was crystal clear what Rome tried to do and basically accomplished.  Maybe I'm wrong but I look at the hit Richards threw on Krejci in 2010.  Not late like the Rome hit but it had vicious intentions and the result was the same.  Richards knew exactly what he was doing and the damage he could cause.  Result in 2010 was the player was out of the series.  I am convinced after watching the Rome on Horton hit at regular speed that Rome was doing the same thing.  In addition to it being dirty, vicious and with bad intentions....it was late. Defending this hit is a joke as is trolling around on a rival teams message board shortly after getting embarrassed in the Stanley Cup final.  
    Posted by misterpaulo[/QUOTE]
    I am a Bruins fan & I DON'T think Rome had the intent of hurting Horton the way he did.  So; that makes this debatable. I think he got the suspension he deserved & I think that Horton deserves to have his chance to clean Rome's clock & Rome should oblige & give Nathan that opportunity.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]I would expect Bergeron to have a bulls-eye on him.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]
    Yea; I wanna know the answer to this too! How did Bergeron get involved?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will January 7th be a blood bath? : Yea; I wanna know the answer to this too! How did Bergeron get involved?
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

Burrows:  He bit Bergeron.  That's a pretty simple line to draw.

Lapierre did that whole sticking his fingers in Bergeron's face.  Don't you remember how everyone had a heart attack because someone dared to tease our little Patty? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will January 7th be a blood bath? : Burrows:  He bit Bergeron.  That's a pretty simple line to draw. Lapierre did that whole sticking his fingers in Bergeron's face.  Don't you remember how everyone had a heart attack because someone dared to tease our little Patty? 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

But, why would Bergeron have "a bull's eye on him" against the Canucks?  Are they mad at him or something?  Were his fingers not seasoned properly for Burrows' tastes??

Of all the people who the Canucks would be mad at (Boychuk, Marchand, etc.), why Bergeron?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will January 7th be a blood bath? : I stated quite clearly in my post, that Boychuk's hit wasn't malicious, but it nonetheless resulted in a fractured vertebra for Raymond.  So, it's quite clear that Boychuk did not intend to injure Raymond. While not as crystal clear, I would also conclude, based on Rome's past history, that he did not intend to injure Horton. And regardless of what anyone says, the clock does not lie.  The hit was not "2-3 seconds late".  If the league deems that as a late hit, so be it, but it was not "ridiculously late". I'm not asking anyone to agree with me -- I'm simply stating my opinion. 

Opinions can be very interesting when different views on a subject can be considered and debated, not when we have 10 different angles of video evidence showing exactly what happened. 

In this case, I can watch the video and say without hesitation that your opinion is wrong.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will January 7th be a blood bath? : But, why would Bergeron have "a target on his back" against the Canucks?  Are they mad at him or something?  Were his fingers not seasoned properly for Burrows' tastes?? Of all the people who the Canucks would be mad at (Boychuk, Marchand, etc.), why Bergeron?
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    Exactly- What he said.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will January 7th be a blood bath? : Defending Rome on a Bruins page?  THIS IS WHY YOU ARE NOT WELCOME HERE.  GET LOST.  GO CRY IN YOUR SOUP WITH THE REST OF THE LOSERS WHO SUPPORT A TEAM THAT HAS NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER WON IT ALL. BEAT IT.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

ITS. ABOUT. TIME. SOMEONE. SAID. THIS.

Read a thread.  Discussion eventually gets to Rome's dangerous late hit to Horton's head when he wasn't looking.  Wait for it...  Vancouver guy eventually shows up to passive-aggressively ''suggest" that Rome's dirty mugging that rightfully resulted in a playoffs suspension for the offender is somehow comparable to Raymond's goofy awkward injury.

Is this not obnoxiously predictable?

Really, Vancouver Guy, sell this All Out BS Garbage on a site where everyone won't think it's stupid, no matter how much you pretend it's because we are so awfully biased.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Re: Jan 7th...

I'd love to see Horton beat Rome into the cement under the Garden ice, but I'm not entirely convinced it's assured he wins that fight.

After all, a player like Rome whose greatest accomplishment was to put a hit out on a rival's outstanding player- only to wake up that team enough to beat your guys to a pulp 4 out of 5 games-  might be able to fight a little, at least.

It's not like he is in the league for his talent, like Horton.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will January 7th be a blood bath? : I stated quite clearly in my post, that Boychuk's hit wasn't malicious, but it nonetheless resulted in a fractured vertebra for Raymond.  So, it's quite clear that Boychuk did not intend to injure Raymond. While not as crystal clear, I would also conclude, based on Rome's past history, that he did not intend to injure Horton. And regardless of what anyone says, the clock does not lie.  The hit was not "2-3 seconds late".  If the league deems that as a late hit, so be it, but it was not "ridiculously late". I'm not asking anyone to agree with me -- I'm simply stating my opinion. 

Any chance you could state that nonstop Rome BS someplace where we don't have to listen to it? I can think of some Montreal fans that will nod their heads in agreement for you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]I would expect Bergeron to have a bulls-eye on him.

Why, because he tastes so good?

Or because the dress-wearing Canucks need to go after someone who doesn't fight?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Horts is not happy with Rome everybody! I hope you're not right Soxfan. I hope Nathan pulverizes the bastar%!!

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will January 7th be a blood bath? : I am a Bruins fan & I DON'T think Rome had the intent of hurting Horton the way he did.  So; that makes this debatable. I think he got the suspension he deserved & I think that Horton deserves to have his chance to clean Rome's clock & Rome should oblige & give Nathan that opportunity.

Respectfully disagree nightmare.  Rome delivered a late hit to an unsuspecting player travelling at a good speed.  If he didn't mean to hurt the guy what was he trying to do?  I'll just clock this guy who has no idea I am coming and hopefully he can find a way to recover from whatever the outcome might be?  Concussion, broken bone, whatever.  These types of hits end up bad most of the time if not all of the time.  I'm sure Rome felt bad afterwards and might be a real swell guy but that just isn't good enough for me.  He took advantage of a vulnerable player.

I'm old now but back in the late 80's/early 90's I played competitive AAA hockey into Midget and got a taste of Junior B.  Speaking for myself only, I knew when a player didn't see me coming and if I decided to follow through with a hit anyway, I did so knowing there was a good chance I would hurt the guy.  Not that it's right but that was the culture back in the day and this was just competitive amateur hockey.  I didn't think much of it back then....just thought this is the way the game is played the more competitive things get.  Today, I wish this culture wasn't part of the game but IMO, it still is and not just in the NHL. 

Time has passed and maybe attitudes have changed but I am not convinced.
    In the pro game, with the Cup on the line, I don't doubt for a second players are well aware of how to alter a series in favour of their team and I feel they still go down this road when the opportunity presents itself.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will January 7th be a blood bath? : I am a Bruins fan & I DON'T think Rome had the intent of hurting Horton the way he did.  So; that makes this debatable. I think he got the suspension he deserved & I think that Horton deserves to have his chance to clean Rome's clock & Rome should oblige & give Nathan that opportunity.

Oh I did.  I saw it as a role player targeting the other teams elite player in attempt to render him ineffective for the remainder the series, game, or period at least.  He was trying to hurt him...maybe not kill him (which he could have), but hurt him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will January 7th be a blood bath? : Respectfully disagree nightmare.  Rome delivered a late hit to an unsuspecting player travelling at a good speed.  If he didn't mean to hurt the guy what was he trying to do?  I'll just clock this guy who has no idea I am coming and hopefully he can find a way to recover from whatever the outcome might be?  Concussion, broke bone, whatever.  These types of hits end up bad most of the time if not all of the time.  I'm sure Rome felt bad afterwards and might be a real swell guy but that just isn't good enough for me.  He took advantage of a vulnerable player. I'm old now but back in the late 80's/early 90's I played completive AAA hockey into Midget and got a taste of Junior B.  Speaking for myself only, I knew when I player didn't see me coming and if I decided to follow through with a hit anyway, I did so knowing there was a good chance I would hurt the guy.  Not that it's right but that was the culture back in the day and this was just completive amateur hockey.  I didn't think much of it back then....just thought this is the way the game is played the more competitive things get.  Today, I wish this culture wasn't part of the game but IMO, it still is and not just in the NHL.  Time has passed and maybe attitudes have changed but I am not convinced. In the pro game, with the Cup on the line, I don't doubt for a second players are well aware on how to alter a series in favour of their team and I feel they still go down this road when the opportunity presents itself.    

Really good post.  It is all about the culture.  We have young boys watching videos of hits like that and glorifying them.  What do you expect them to do when they play?  They see an opportunity to lay a guy out they will take it.  It is also about respect, or lack there of.  Players need to accept that with the speed of the game, hits like that are extremely dangerous. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Sorry, I meant Marchand, not Bergy.

Just about to take off for a long weekend, and my brain must have been entering R & R mode...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Back in my day concussions were mostly chalked up to "getting your bell rung" and you might just need a bit of time to "shake the cobwebs"

You would think with what we know today about concussions compared to 20 years ago, a player would be a bit more sensitive to the long term, life-long impacts these kind of hits can have on a fellow player.

Delivering a hit like that today and saying that I didn't mean to hurt the guy is just a bit of a stretch for me.

Ask yourself this question.  Do you think Scott Stevens didn't mean to hurt the parade of stars he put out with those huge, unsuspecting hits conveniently delivered during playoff time?  At the time, we applauded that style of game (I did anyway) and under the rules it was fine.  But I thought we were smarter today.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Horton on Rome texting him:

“If it was me, I wouldn’t have thrown a text message someone’s way,” Horton said. “I’d have a little bit more respect to actually make a phone call.”

I guess we can stop speculating that these two have patched things up.
    Does a player who genuinely feels bad about hurting another player, avoid actually calling him?  Who knows...we're all different I guess. 

Either way, Horton isn't over it and who can blame him?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Horton on Rome texting him: “If it was me, I wouldn’t have thrown a text message someone’s way,” Horton said. “I’d have a little bit more respect to actually make a phone call.” I guess we can stop speculating that these two have patched things up. Does a player who genuinely feels bad about hurting another player, avoid actually calling him?  Who knows...we're all different I guess.  Either way, Horton isn't over it and who can blame him?
    I was thinking the same when I read the article. I expect Horton to repay him with something far more personal than a text message........Rome's failure to even attempt a real apology just adds fuel to the fire.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will January 7th be a blood bath? : Respectfully disagree nightmare.  Rome delivered a late hit to an unsuspecting player travelling at a good speed.  If he didn't mean to hurt the guy what was he trying to do?  I'll just clock this guy who has no idea I am coming and hopefully he can find a way to recover from whatever the outcome might be?  Concussion, broken bone, whatever.  These types of hits end up bad most of the time if not all of the time.  I'm sure Rome felt bad afterwards and might be a real swell guy but that just isn't good enough for me.  He took advantage of a vulnerable player. I'm old now but back in the late 80's/early 90's I played competitive AAA hockey into Midget and got a taste of Junior B.  Speaking for myself only, I knew when a player didn't see me coming and if I decided to follow through with a hit anyway, I did so knowing there was a good chance I would hurt the guy.  Not that it's right but that was the culture back in the day and this was just competitive amateur hockey.  I didn't think much of it back then....just thought this is the way the game is played the more competitive things get.  Today, I wish this culture wasn't part of the game but IMO, it still is and not just in the NHL.  Time has passed and maybe attitudes have changed but I am not convinced. In the pro game, with the Cup on the line, I don't doubt for a second players are well aware of how to alter a series in favour of their team and I feel they still go down this road when the opportunity presents itself.    
    Great post Mr! I think the speed of the game though makes so that in this particular play; the hitter has a split second before he makes contact. It's to hit or not to hit. The cruncher doesn't always have a chance to go thru an outline to make sure he does everything perfectly.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

The whole intent thing is very tricky.  I mean, on some level you are intending to hurt someone every time you throw a check.  When I played hockey, I remember seeing someone coming by with their head down and thinking "I'm gonna cream this guy".  But, if that guy had to be carted off on a stretcher I would honestly and sincerely be thinking "I didn't mean to do that".  So to me, the intent is irrelevant as long as the hit is clean.  And I mean a body check, not a targeted head shot that Matt Cooke would somehow argue is within the rules.  You can't really throw checks without some intent to injure.

I think Mike Richards intended to injure David Krejci in the playoffs last year, but he did it on a clean hit (not late, didn't target head, etc.).  More power to him.  So intent doesn't matter to me.  I don't care if hits have vicious intent as long as they are clean.  Rome's hit was bad because he saw a vulnerable player coming towards him, and he broke the rules to hammer him. 

Rome combined his intent to injure with several illegal moves on the Horton hit. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp57. Show ksp57's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry, I meant Marchand, not Bergy. Just about to take off for a long weekend, and my brain must have been entering R & R mode...

And who will Sedin be hiding behind while this revenge is taking place ?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will January 7th be a blood bath? : But, why would Bergeron have "a bull's eye on him" against the Canucks?  Are they mad at him or something?  Were his fingers not seasoned properly for Burrows' tastes?? Of all the people who the Canucks would be mad at (Boychuk, Marchand, etc.), why Bergeron?
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Ignore my post, please.  I totally misunderstood!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry, I meant Marchand, not Bergy. Just about to take off for a long weekend, and my brain must have been entering R & R mode...

Marchand will have many bullseyes on him this year.  Montreal, Philly, Vancouver, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Toronto, Ottawa, Carolina, New York.....pretty much any team the Bruins played last season

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

[QUOTE]Horton on Rome texting him: “If it was me, I wouldn’t have thrown a text message someone’s way,” Horton said. “I’d have a little bit more respect to actually make a phone call.” I guess we can stop speculating that these two have patched things up. Does a player who genuinely feels bad about hurting another player, avoid actually calling him?  Who knows...we're all different I guess.  Either way, Horton isn't over it and who can blame him?

Not trying to play Devils Advocate here, just honestly curious...

Does anyone know if Boychuck ever called Mason Raymond?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will January 7th be a blood bath? : Not trying to play Devils Advocate here, just honestly curious... Does anyone know if Boychuck ever called Mason Raymond?
    Posted by Swerengen[/QUOTE]

That was a fluke play with absolutely no intent involved.  There is nothing to apologize for there.