Will JVR's signing have any effect on a Marchand contract?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Re: Will JVR's signing have any effect on a Marchand contract?

In Response to Will JVR's signing have any effect on a Marchand contract?:
    [QUOTE]Looking past the fact that Marchand was a 3rd rounder and JVR was the #2 Pick, They are coming off nearly identical seasons production wise, does the 6 year deal at 4.25 million per have any effect on Marchand's negotiations? You'd better believe If I was his agent I'd be using him as a comparable!
    Posted by joebondo[/QUOTE]

I think to some affect it will.. JVR has a prototype power foward build, and is everything wheeler was supposed to be.. So there are things there that marchand can't really use on his side of the bargaining table.. I think the fylers overpaid to get the kid locked up though, I don't the bruins are as interested in that.. Van Riems is one of their building blocks to the future,  the bruins like Marchand, but do they view him in the same respect?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I don't think the flyers overpaid, they probably got a deal.  JVR, like Marchand, broke out in the second half and excelled in the playoffs.  There is every indication that they will continue to be standouts going forward.  You can't look at their overall goal totals and say that's what they are.  Marchand was on the fourth line early and JVR was a healthy scratch.  They are comparables.  I think the major difference is their draft selection, JVR was fulfilling long-time expectations, Marchand was exceeding them.  For that reason JVR is more established in hockey circles and can expect a bigger payday, but he also signed for 5 years.  Expect less years and less money in the Marchand negotiations.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

If I were Arnott I would use it but I don't think it will make PC budge anymore.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KennyBizz. Show KennyBizz's posts

This JVR deal just made things more difficult for Chia.  4.25 per.  What is BM worth?  I'd love to know the numbers they're shoving back and forth.  Camp's around the corner, going to be very interesting how this plays out, even more so now.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Sandog,
    I think PC points at JVR's deal though and says, he did it for 2 years,  had a good season, and improved on it, then he got $$.. This is exactly what we want to see from you.. Take the short money and show us it wasnt a one year performance.. Thats marchands biggest down fall, is his NHL resume is so short..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I doubt it, and I don't think PC listens to that argument even if Arnott does try to bring him up as a comparable.

First off, Holmgren must be drunk.  If vanRiemsdyk is a 40 goal player by the end of year three of the deal, then yes, it may prove to be a deal.  If it turns out he's better as a second unit scorer and not a guy who goes against top checking night in and night out, then this isn't a bargain and Philly has to go looking for ways to protect him on the depth chart, which isn't cheap.  But hey, that's the risk and you evaluate etc. - so the reason Homer must be drunk ?  Didn't they just dump the last two guys they gave huge deals for long term based on limited sample size?

As good as Marchand was for stretches last year, he hasn't been good enough to suggest he'll become a legit first line winger.  Take out his 6 weeks of nearly a point/game production (when Bergeron was flying as NHL player of the month) and he scored at the same 30 point/season pace on the second line and the fourth line.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Will JVR's signing have any effect on a Marchand contract?:
    [QUOTE]I doubt it, and I don't think PC listens to that argument even if Arnott does try to bring him up as a comparable. First off, Holmgren must be drunk.  If vanRiemsdyk is a 40 goal player by the end of year three of the deal, then yes, it may prove to be a deal.  If it turns out he's better as a second unit scorer and not a guy who goes against top checking night in and night out, then this isn't a bargain and Philly has to go looking for ways to protect him on the depth chart, which isn't cheap.  But hey, that's the risk and you evaluate etc. - so the reason Homer must be drunk ?  Didn't they just dump the last two guys they gave huge deals for long term based on limited sample size? As good as Marchand was for stretches last year, he hasn't been good enough to suggest he'll become a legit first line winger.  Take out his 6 weeks of nearly a point/game production (when Bergeron was flying as NHL player of the month) and he scored at the same 30 point/season pace on the second line and the fourth line.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

I think this contract was negotiated based on the 2 goal game verse the bruins where the only player who stopped him was thomas.. It could develop into a deal, but JVR is going to have to do a whole lot more then hes done..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

If I'm not mistaken, the Flyers bought 1 year of free agency from JVR. That has a way of driving the $$$ up. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]If I'm not mistaken, the Flyers bought 1 year of free agency from JVR. That has a way of driving the $$$ up. 
    Posted by Ronstar8[/QUOTE]

I Believe its 2, but the CBA is expiring as well, so who knows what they actually bought up.. They like his game, he is probably doing what they asked him to do, and they wanted to lock him down..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Now, that's an awful contract.  You'd think the Flyers would have learned from the other awful contracts that they've given out, but obviously not.

I don't see this having any effect at all on Marchand's deal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]Now, that's an awful contract.  You'd think the Flyers would have learned from the other awful contracts that they've given out, but obviously not. I don't see this having any effect at all on Marchand's deal.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Its no more awful then lucic's was, it really depends what JVR does this season, and the 5 to follow..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will JVR's signing have any effect on a Marchand contract? : Its no more awful then lucic's was, it really depends what JVR does this season, and the 5 to follow..
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

One is a three year deal, the other is a six year deal.  I think there is a difference.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

IMO I think JVR is ready for a breakout year, to me, he has 40 goal potential and his contract has zero effect on the Marchand front. I'm starting to think other players signings aren't a factor, i think the Bruins have a number in mind and it differs from the Marchand camp.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will JVR's signing have any effect on a Marchand contract? : Its no more awful then lucic's was, it really depends what JVR does this season, and the 5 to follow.Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

This is where I agree with the contract or Holmgren wouldn't have sent the Hardy Party Boys packing. I think Paul knows enough about NHL talent getting ready to produce with more TOI. Giroux and Van R will explode this season then in two years their contracts will look like Lucic's just about now "very reasonable".

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I thought JVR was only in the "suppose to be a future stud" I didn't know he made it there already! Gave the kid way too much too soon!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will JVR's signing have any effect on a Marchand contract? : One is a three year deal, the other is a six year deal.  I think there is a difference.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

while that is true, and we both feel he over paid, you can't really judge a contract as being awful (or great) till you look at it in hind sight.. Lucic's deal may have been over paid at the time, but he certainly justified it last season.. If JVR has seasons of 60pts 80pts, 90 90 90 90.. something remotely close, the flyers got a heck of a deal..

Did he have the leverage to command 6 years at 4 per nope.. but maybe the flyers have seen enough to want to do it

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The mid-point between roler and NAS?  The contract is a gamble, and like any gamble, it will look like a good move if JvR delivers the kind of seasons other teams are getting from $5M players and just another ridiculous Flyer (mis)mangement move if he doesn't.

The Flyers continue to gamble.  They gambled on Richards and Carter.  They've gambled for years on mediocre goaltenders.  They gambled earlier this year that they'll be a better team in the long run with Voracek, Simmonds and Schenn.  But the big gamble this year is that Giroux and JvR can take on significant scrutiny and responsibility and still continue to evolve into top NHL forwards.

The only thing I'll say re: comparing this to the Lucic deal is that JvR, over the last half of the season, looked like the kind of power forward teams would covet enough to lay out an offer sheet.  It would then cost the Flyers more to match unless they wanted to go for a longer rebuild and take compensation.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

[QUOTE] The only thing I'll say re: comparing this to the Lucic deal is that JvR, over the last half of the season, looked like the kind of power forward teams would covet enough to lay out an offer sheet.  It would then cost the Flyers more to match unless they wanted to go for a longer rebuild and take compensation.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

This has to come into play from a GMs standpoint "The cost of an offer sheet" in the long run. I say Holmgern made the right gamble...In the long run

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsIn4. Show BruinsIn4's posts

I would take Lucic and Marchand over JVR.  The guy is over-hyped.  In my opinion Holmgren has put his faith in the wrong guy.  Call me when JVR scores 40 goals or 90 points.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]I would take Lucic and Marchand over JVR.  The guy is over-hyped.  In my opinion Holmgren has put his faith in the wrong guy.  Call me when JVR scores 40 goals or 90 points.
    Posted by BruinsIn4[/QUOTE]

Because anyone on the bruins has done that??  He signed a deal that pays him slightly more then lucic..The fact is, he dominated game 2 of the 2nd round, and if it wasnt for thomas he would have beaten the bruins single handedly.. I don't (at this point) think the bruins have anyone capable of the performance he had..  The flyers are banking on more of that...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will JVR's signing have any effect on a Marchand contract? : Because anyone on the bruins has done that??  He signed a deal that pays him slightly more then lucic..The fact is, he dominated game 2 of the 2nd round, and if it wasnt for thomas he would have beaten the bruins single handedly.. I don't (at this point) think the bruins have anyone capable of the performance he had..  The flyers are banking on more of that...
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]
    I would never take JVR over Lucic! Lucic is by far a better all around power foward. I don't think JVR even fits the Power Forward mold at all. He's like John LeClaire who's another one that didn't fit the mold! When did John Leclaire ever throw a big hit? When has JVR? When did John Leclair drop the gloves or stick up for a teammate? When has JVR?
    I think JVR is going to be a fine hockey player; but there's no way I take him over Lucic! Over Marchand? Right now; as of this time? No; I wouldn't. Game 2 in round 2 wouldn't be enough for me to think JVR is going to be a "gamer" better than Brad is. Not saying he won't be. I'm saying until I see it. I'll take BM over him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

nitemare,
    I am not arguing he is better, and he certainly isnt the physical player lucic is. But saying 40g, 90 points to justify the contract??  Those numbers justify an $8m deal.. Hes gonna make a little over 4..

Your clearly a marchand fan, but JVR had 7g in 11 games, has more career points and is a year younger, he also has more phsyical traits to work with then marchand.. and single handly took a game over by himself, which as i stated, no one on the bruins (aside from thomas) has done that in a long time..

I stated i think the overpaid, but this could turn out to be a very sweet deal for the flyers in the long run, and they are building around him at this point, marchand hasn't earned that from the bruins yet..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

"Building around him" is an important point, actually.  He'll be on the first PP, probably top line, playing a lot of minutes.  They're going to give him every opportunity to put up the kind of numbers that would make negotiating with him next year very expensive.  He has talent around him in Giroux, Briere, and I would assume Jagr can still play a bit.  And even if it takes him another year or two to grow into that role fully, he should be outperforming that contract by the time Schenn is an experienced NHLer, Giroux is hitting his prime, Couturier is a factor etc. etc.  Could be good timing if it looks terrible for two years and then like chump change in the third and beyond.

Boston fans have high standards for power forwards - we watched the guy who defined a basketball term in hockey's environment.  I think the term has gotten away from "A Cam Neely, Clarke Gillies, Brendan Shanahan, Bill Guerin type".  Now it's back to being like basketball where it gets used to describe a player whose style is to play close to the net, often with his back to the twine, using his size and strength to get into position for short range shots.  Not so much a guy who will hurt you on the boards, beat you on the scoreboard, and demoralize you in a fight.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

I'll at least give Philly credit for concluding their team wasn't good enough to win it all - so they changed it.

As for comparing Marchand to other contracts ....Wheeler got 2.5 - Ryder got 4

Not really sure why it's necessary to look outside the organization

Sections
Shortcuts