Will JVR's signing have any effect on a Marchand contract?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

Re: Will JVR's signing have any effect on a Marchand contract?

two problems with the earlier posts

JVR is a MUCH better talent than Marchand, completely different styles, but the two shouldn't be compared because its no contest

Yes JVR did take over that game against the Bruins, but for rolerhoky's assertion that no Bruin can do that, I'm pretty sure Seguin did exactly that only better (Seguin actually scored goals)

Don't get me wrong, I love Marchand, and he had an amazing playoff, but people need to get off his sack.  He is an instigator with skill and swagger but will never be a superstar.

JVR, like Seguin, has the potential to be a superstar because of his physical gifts.  Weren't they both drafted #2?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In Response to Re: Will JVR's signing have any effect on a Marchand contract?:
    [QUOTE]I'll at least give Philly credit for concluding their team wasn't good enough to win it all - so they changed it. As for comparing Marchand to other contracts ....Wheeler got 2.5 - Ryder got 4 Not really sure why it's necessary to look outside the organization
    Posted by JWensink[/QUOTE]

Because if those are your comparables, Marchand's going to get $8.5M.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I would take Lucic and Marchand over JVR.  The guy is over-hyped.  In my opinion Holmgren has put his faith in the wrong guy.  Call me when JVR scores 40 goals or 90 points.
    Posted by BruinsIn4[/QUOTE]

Gooooooood loooooooooooordddddddd.

The Legend of Brad Marchand continues!  The guy would probably have taken Tikkanen over Kurri.  (No, I"m not saying JVR is Kurri, just like Marchand is not Tikkanen.)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]two problems with the earlier posts JVR is a MUCH better talent than Marchand, completely different styles, but the two shouldn't be compared because its no contest Yes JVR did take over that game against the Bruins, but for rolerhoky's assertion that no Bruin can do that, I'm pretty sure Seguin did exactly that only better (Seguin actually scored goals) Don't get me wrong, I love Marchand, and he had an amazing playoff, but people need to get off his sack.  He is an instigator with skill and swagger but will never be a superstar. JVR, like Seguin, has the potential to be a superstar because of his physical gifts.  Weren't they both drafted #2?
    Posted by Chappy28[/QUOTE]

Yup, my sentiments put simply!  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]two problems with the earlier posts JVR is a MUCH better talent than Marchand, completely different styles, but the two shouldn't be compared because its no contest Yes JVR did take over that game against the Bruins, but for rolerhoky's assertion that no Bruin can do that, I'm pretty sure Seguin did exactly that only better (Seguin actually scored goals) Don't get me wrong, I love Marchand, and he had an amazing playoff, but people need to get off his sack.  He is an instigator with skill and swagger but will never be a superstar. JVR, like Seguin, has the potential to be a superstar because of his physical gifts.  Weren't they both drafted #2?
    Benoit Pouliet supposedly had lots of potential too. That's a very big word & a lot to fork over. This is a gamble deal at best. Which I don't understand why people are against giving BM 4 mill when he's already proven his value & JVR has shown potential. I don't think either player deserves 4 mill yet. I think BM has the "potential" to be a Danny Brier type with more grit. However; until he can show more consistency I wouldn't think of giving him anymore than a 2-3 deal & maybe give him $4 mill in his first yr. JVR has shown signs of dominance & I think the 40g & 90 pts is realistic; but not a given. Regardless of whether the two are the same type of player is irrelevant. You got one who's proved he can play a big game when it's mattered the most and another who's shown flashes! I'll take my chances on someone who's proved it already.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Couple problems here..

JVR had 2 goals in that game.. So your seguin statement wasnt to well thought out.. (don't feel bad, you actually had supporters)..

Also Seguin didn't dominate that game, he had a a couple really good shifts, and a great stat line for the period.. JVR's game 2, which was a 2 goals game, was dominant from start to finish, and thomas is the only reason it wasnt a 4 goal game..I believe he finished with 11 shots..  Seguin scored 2 pretty goals, but also went long stretches being invisible..  His stat line was better, but his performance in that game was not the same as JVR's. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

IMO Van Reims is inconsistent and that's what drove Flyer fans nuts all of last season.Now he has a great game against the Bruins in game 2 and that's his coming put ???
    I see this deal as a gamble also.  He hasn't proved yet he deserves this contract , has the potential but that doesn't always translate into deserving of a contract.
    I'm one of the few here that think the Flyers will be fighting for 6-7 spot in the standings this season.
    The pressure will be on Giroux and JVR this season as they along with Briere are the go to guys on this team now. Briere has proven in the past he can do it (when healthy) can those two do the same ?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]IMO Van Reims is inconsistent and that's what drove Flyer fans nuts all of last season.Now he has a great game against the Bruins in game 2 and that's his coming put ??? I see this deal as a gamble also.  He hasn't proved yet he deserves this contract , has the potential but that doesn't always translate into deserving of a contract. I'm one of the few here that think the Flyers will be fighting for 6-7 spot in the standings this season. The pressure will be on Giroux and JVR this season as they along with Briere are the go to guys on this team now. Briere has proven in the past he can do it (when healthy) can those two do the same ?
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Giroux was their best forward all last season, as well as the play offs, he has proven plenty at this point..

So I would assume you didn't agree with Lucic's deal? and would be on the side that marchand should be looking for a short term low dollar contract based on your sentiments?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will JVR's signing have any effect on a Marchand contract? : Giroux was their best forward all last season, as well as the play offs, he has proven plenty at this point.. So I would assume you didn't agree with Lucic's deal? and would be on the side that marchand should be looking for a short term low dollar contract based on your sentiments?
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

I'de like to give some credit for Giroux's success to Richards and Carter. When teams have to cope stopping those 2 it leaves more room for Giroux .  Not saying he's a bad player all I'm saying is that there will be more pressure and harder to perform.
    As for comparing when the Bruins signed Lucic like someone else mentioned here it was not for 6 years . Also Lucic's contract was based on potential and to me at the time was considered a gamble with a big increase in salary.
    Again, JVR can pan out and we can all say he was worth it but he hasn't put up numbers to warrant that much money. His potential is what got him this contract.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

B's Legion,
    I don't disagree with anything you said there.. , but I think the flyers locking him down for 6 years also got him some of that money.. They bought up some free agency years, and bought up some years that he should out perform his contract..  If he got a 2 year 6-7 million dollar deal i think we'd all agree that that was a contract more inline with what he's earned, that being said the gamble is they have to pay him way more after that if he has a great season in there..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JLEO25. Show JLEO25's posts

@Chappy28: JVR 1st round, #2 overall, 2007; BM 3rd round, #71 overall, 2006. JVR and BM are apples and kiwi fruit. JVR is big guy with Wheeler (LOL) potential-no hit, big moves, looks like a HOF scorer. BM is the genetic upgrade of "The Rat." Was never a fan of Linseman, but his tactics worked most of the time. BM's handling of Sedin proved his potential as the next Linseman. JVR and BM might be complementary, but not comparables. 3.5M for 3 years and see if BM is really an NHL player. Even so, he's never going to command 5M+ as a player.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsIn4. Show BruinsIn4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will JVR's signing have any effect on a Marchand contract? : Gooooooood loooooooooooordddddddd. The Legend of Brad Marchand continues!  The guy would probably have taken Tikkanen over Kurri.  (No, I"m not saying JVR is Kurri, just like Marchand is not Tikkanen.)
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Ok, so NAS - help me out with this - which one in this list is "like" Kurri and which one is "like" Tikkanen??

GP   G   A   Pts   +/- Shots     
    JVR 75   21  19  40    +15 173
    BM  77   21  20  41    +25 149
    ML  79   30  32  62    +28 173

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Scorer and pest:  Kurri and Tikkanen

Scorer and pest:  JVR and Marchand

This guy probably would have taken Tikkanen (the pest) over Kurri (the scorer).

You know, because he'd take Marchand over JVR.

(Was it that tough?)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsIn4. Show BruinsIn4's posts

Yes, I'm clear now, thanks.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will JVR's signing have any effect on a Marchand contract? : Couple problems here.. JVR had 2 goals in that game.. So your seguin statement wasnt to well thought out.. (don't feel bad, you actually had supporters).. Also Seguin didn't dominate that game, he had a a couple really good shifts, and a great stat line for the period.. JVR's game 2, which was a 2 goals game, was dominant from start to finish, and thomas is the only reason it wasnt a 4 goal game..I believe he finished with 11 shots..  Seguin scored 2 pretty goals, but also went long stretches being invisible..  His stat line was better, but his performance in that game was not the same as JVR's. 

Really?  So assists don't count for anything?  I'd say your logic is flawed.  Seguin put up more offense in less minutes and contributed more to his team WINNING the game.  Chara takes 11 shots per game, and zero go in.  Does that mean he has the best performance of the night?

Almost scoring means nothing in hockey, as in most things in life

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will JVR's signing have any effect on a Marchand contract? : Really?  So assists don't count for anything?  I'd say your logic is flawed.  Seguin put up more offense in less minutes and contributed more to his team WINNING the game.  Chara takes 11 shots per game, and zero go in.  Does that mean he has the best performance of the night? Almost scoring means nothing in hockey, as in most things in life

You sound like someone who read a state line and saw none of the game.. Seguin scored all of his points in 2 periods of play.. and was invisible in long stretches.. Anyone who watched the play offs is aware of that..

The game was argueably thomas's best game of the playoffs even with 2 goals against, this wasn't 11 shots from the point..And its not called "almost scoring" its called scoring chances.. You can say what you want, but no body in the bruins system has dominated a game the way he did that night in a long time. Seguin had a great period, but I didnt watch that game going, wow he is killing them, he is going to score at any minute.. I felt like if he had some room, and was moving he'd probably score, then again, that only happened 2 times..

His assists in that game, a slap shot aht hit ryder in the knee that he then scored a nice goal on, and a play where he was the second assist.. Yeah those are great plays..

Watch the game, stop talking about the stats.. You didn't even know JVR had scored, so maybe go look at the game and his play..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Hey Roler,

I'll take a flukey assist on a goal than a scoring chance with no goal all day.

You know what's another way to say "scoring chance"?

Failed to score.

I love when the stats on TV talk about scoring chances and the color guy tells us that one team "outchanced" the other.  Yeah, they "outfailed" the other is more like it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]Hey Roler, I'll take a flukey assist on a goal than a scoring chance with no goal all day. You know what's another way to say "scoring chance"? Failed to score. I love when the stats on TV talk about scoring chances and the color guy tells us that one team "outchanced" the other.  Yeah, they "outfailed" the other is more like it.

While that is true, scoring chances can typically indicate who has been playing better... You give up a ton of scoring chances ("quality scoring chances") more specifically, and generate very few, you better have a strong advantage in net, and possibly hope for something flukey if you want to win..

That said, why not weigh in on the actual topic, JVR's game 2, last bruins you can think of who dominated a game the way he did.. And I am not talking about the stat sheet since thomas held everyone off it all playoffs..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I think he played well, but dominated is far too strong.  The commentators were all over his jock.  It was sad. 

Seguin's performance vs. TB was more impressive in my book. 

And remember, before you blow me up for being a homer, I'm pretty objective when it comes to crediting and discrediting Bruins.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I won't, I agree your objective..
    I disagree with you here though.. I think seguins night was better statistically, but I dont think he would have put up 4 points against thomas..  And I dont care about the announcers, they were all over him, he was great, but the story should have been the fact that thomas was better.

Game 2 JVR took the puck to the net it seemed like every other shift, and thomas was forced to make huge saves on him continuously through out the game, and he was shredding chara and the bruins defense (far stronger then tampa's..)

Seguin though he played great, I saw from him that night what I think he showed all season, when he is moving with the puck hes great, and he can certainly beat a guy one on one.. But in traffic, in congestion? We havent seen it yet, and thats what that game was, it was wide open, when he got his chances he buried them.. But he wasnt creating chances shift after shift, and he wasnt heald to 2 goals cause rolston was incredible that night, rolston gave up 8.. thomas gave up 2 all game..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

JVR had a good game, and Thomas made some nice saves, and I'd have to see the game again to really be sure - but I don't think Thomas really had to stand on his head that much.  The Bruin D was doing what it usually does - ensuring that when they get beat, they get beat to lesser scoring areas.  They got beat a lot, but not many of them resulted in sparkling finish attempts.

I agree that Seguin's game wasn't consistently great, but in one period he looked like he was unstoppable every time he was on the ice.  He wasn't on the ice as much as JvR was, but his first goal was a game changer that I don't think any goaltender stops.  Second was a world class release.  No way Thomas saves either of those - I don't know if anyone does.  I thought something good would happen for the Bruins every time he took the ice that game.

Lucic dominated the Canucks in their one regular season matchup in much teh same way JvR dominated.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]JVR had a good game, and Thomas made some nice saves, and I'd have to see the game again to really be sure - but I don't think Thomas really had to stand on his head that much.  The Bruin D was doing what it usually does - ensuring that when they get beat, they get beat to lesser scoring areas.  They got beat a lot, but not many of them resulted in sparkling finish attempts. I agree that Seguin's game wasn't consistently great, but in one period he looked like he was unstoppable every time he was on the ice.  He wasn't on the ice as much as JvR was, but his first goal was a game changer that I don't think any goaltender stops.  Second was a world class release.  No way Thomas saves either of those - I don't know if anyone does.  I thought something good would happen for the Bruins every time he took the ice that game.   Lucic dominated the Canucks in their one regular season matchup in much teh same way JvR dominated.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

BB - To refresh your memory, this was the game thomas made 52 saves, including 46 straight.. Thomas was all over the place.. I don't believe the defense was all that good.. JVR was credited with 8 shots, and I know he hit atleast 1 post..

And I felt like in that period, if Seguin got the puck, he might score.. I felt like JVR might score every shift.. no concern about whether or not he was going to get the puck.. He looked like Ovechkin in that game to me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re:  I felt like JVR might score every shift..

But he didn't. 

He did score on this magical, mystical move only fit for wizards and Gretzkys, however:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeaxRxqthvY

Hey, I am a fan of this kid, but I'm not so hard on his jock that I forget that he's going to get much better...but isn't yet.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uySCRpe3wbc&NR=1

Feel free to skip ahead to the :20 mark to see an incredible, dominating, breathtaking display of hockey prowess as JVR dazzles the world for his second of the night.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]Hey Roler, I'll take a flukey assist on a goal than a scoring chance with no goal all day. You know what's another way to say "scoring chance"? Failed to score. I love when the stats on TV talk about scoring chances and the color guy tells us that one team "outchanced" the other.  Yeah, they "outfailed" the other is more like it.

It was disgusting how Pierre McGuire was peeing in his pants ..... and to come to thinK of it he started calling it JVR's coming out party.
    Did Fred Cusick ever have to keep a stat for scoring chances to entertain us ?
    The answer is NO !  He didn't need all these stats to commentate a game.
    Today they come up with all these gimmick stats ...  Oh boy I'm sounding old.

Roler,
    Seguin's performance was brilliant in that game against Tampa. He also tied a playoff record for points in a single game.  I'll just give you one of the other guys names that hold this record, Mario Lemieux. Not saying Seguin is the next Lemieux but that was an impressive performance that made his team win.