Will Pete ignore 5 realities?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

Will Pete ignore 5 realities?

I know he is Harvard, but so was Timothy Leary. Can Pete ignore reality?

1. Yes, we are Stanley Cup defenders, but also just over a year removed from epic 3-0/3-0 collapse. And record for the past month indicates a mediocre team. Any GM who banks on catching lighning in a bottle twice is a fool.
    2. With Horton and Peverly out B's have didly squat at right wing. And nobody in Providence worth giving a shot to.
    3. Corvo is not a fit, and I remain baffled as to how Boychuck has been annointed a Top Four defenseman.
    4. Krecji disappears to much to be regarded as a first line center. Fans are split on trading him but I am not sure how much B's would even get in return at this stage.
    5. With all the holes the B's have, holding on to two #1 goalies is a luxury the Bruins simply cannot afford. And if they are serious about signing Jamie Quick then just do the trade already. Either one, just do a package they gets us a Top Four D-man or a scoring right wing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Re: Will Pete ignore 5 realities?

1. ummm, no. they are an elite team in a small slump. it happens.
    2. ya, injuries are kind of a part of hockey. 
    3. agreed and agreed
    4. ya he lead the NHL in playoff goal scoring and scoring....no
    5. its jonathan quick actually. and no they aren't serious about that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

1. Did Leary really go to Harvard?
    2. Does Does Boychuk not play on the top pairing with Chara most nights?
    3. Is Quick's name really Jamie?
    4. Isn't it a little impatient to say the Bruins haven't done squat when the Peverly injury happened last game and we're still a ways from the trade deadline?

Some bad assumptions there, and have some patience.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

Ya gotta like a goalie with the last name Quick. Thank God it's not Jonathan Slowski.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

I hear Jamie Quick is the next Brodeur

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

my bad, I must have been thinking Jamie Quirk, a baseball player.
    Leary taught at Harvard.
    Krecji's playoff performance aside,  I have just always regarded him as a Fred Stanfield type player and a second line center.
    Yeah, injuries happen, but Horton was inconsistent even before his head problems, and Seguin is a natural center. The B's have been vunerable at RW because there is absolutely nobody in the pipeline who warrents a shot. Pete C should have been trolling for right wings all season and have a couple of fish on the line as we speak.
    Because Boychuck is paired with Chara doesn't make him a Top Four talent. That assumption it beyond nonsense.
    I never said the B's haven't done squat, I said they have didly squat now at RW.
    'An elite team in a small slump'. I admire your optimism. I just don't share your conclusion. The talent on D, aside for Chara obviously, is decidedly mediocre in my humble opinion. And the lack of top line scoring is most definately a concern. Sure you can say the Bruins are an elite team, but that has more to do with parity than with Bruin talent at this stage.
    I guess I am just hoping that Pete is more of a glass half empty than half full type of guy, and makes the necessary moves.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

the bruins aren't built for top line scoring. they are built for depth and balance. I think that kind of worked out last year. i think the d corps kind of worked out last year as well. relax

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

relax yourself. If the playoffs were starting next week the B's would be prime for an early exit. Last year they caught some breaks and hit their stride at the same time. Expecting that to automatically repeat itself is extremely shortsighted. Every year is different.
    Not built for top line scoring??? Really? Then why are they paying Lucic, Krecji and Horton top line money? It is just accepted wisdom that playoff success requires two scoring lines. Otherwise it is easy to shut a team down. It Pete stands pat and does little, we shall see which one of our perspectives prevails.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

L.A. isnt letting Quick go anywhere, they certainly need some help up front at this point and boychuk is ok not great but servicable

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'm with 191646 on the importance of depth to this team.  They aren't really paying 17-46-18 first line money right now.  It's $4M-$3.75M-$4M.  Under $12M for your first line isn't crazy.  $11M for the Bergeron line.  $5M for the Kelly line and $4M for the Campbell line.  Looks a lot like 1a-1b, 3a-3b.

The injuries and slump are really killing the depth as much as the first line.  The last couple of games, the "first" line has really been the old "third" line with Lucic instead of Pouliot.  The third line has the flavour of the old Thornton-Heinze-Carter line with a guy who should be the first line centre between a guy with limited skill who can be good when he works hard, and a young guy who is good on the boards and finding his offensive game - that is, a line you play third line minutes to try and find a second line game.  The Bergeron line is the de facto top line and the Campbell line is what it is, but your best first line combo is broken up as is your highly efficient third line - third line scoring was essential to the November/December streak.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from golden9x2. Show golden9x2's posts

by the way, it was Jamie "Quirk"..ironically and oddly enough...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Pump, your reality is a lot different than mine and many others on this board.

Weren't you leading the Stanley Cup parade? Boy, you turn fast. Don't get dizzy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

Nope, not a parade leader at all. I loved last season's playoffs but did feel the B's received a helluva lot of fortunate bounces. To be honest, I never have gotten over that 3-0/3-0 collapse from the year before which for me was one of the most disappointing fan experiences I have ever had.
    Reality??? Horton's head injury is reality. So is Krecji's slump. And the lack of depth at RW. And I don't think anyone but a black and gold homer would argue that the B's defense corps, aside from Chara, even remotely approaches all-star status. They are a bunch of mediocre talent. I doubt even a pair of them could bring back a Suter in a trade exchange.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder, as they say. But this just isn't a beautiful team to me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

In Response to Re: Will Pete ignore 5 realities?:
    "I loved last season's playoffs but did feel the B's received a helluva lot of fortunate bounces. "

As does ANY team that wins a Cup.

"To be honest, I never have gotten over that 3-0/3-0 collapse from the year before which for me was one of the most disappointing fan experiences I have ever had.
    "

That's just sad, really.  I feel bad for you. 

As bad as the 3-0/3-0 collapse was, winning the Cup THE VERY NEXT SEASON went a long way in terms of washing that putrid taste from my mouth.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

Feel bad for somebody else. I am fine. You remind me of the Pollyannas who campaigned that fans should not have been upset at the Sox collapse last year because we won in '04 and '08. By your logic the two Super Bowl losses to the Giants shouldn't matter because we beat the Rams and the Panthers. Crapola.
     Obviously the point I was making with "fortunate bounces" is my belief that winning the Cup doesn't necessarily qualify the Bruins as a great team, just like winning the World Series two years ago didn't make the Giants a "great" baseball team. The Bruins had their share of fortunate bounces and maybe a few more, and to their credit they did hit their stride at the right time. Frankly, I was amazed at how several of the second-tier players like Ferrence stepped up their games. But seriously, I always felt the Canucks had more talent and whose to say how it would have gone if Kessler had been healthy or Tim T. hadn't had a series for the ages. My point in the original post was you can't count on a 38 year old goalie being able to duplicate that.
    Of course diehards and Pollyannas are going to disagree, but despite the Cup victory, I just don't see the B's as a great team - just a good one and when they are firing on all cylinders a very good one. And obviously, as a true fan, I am going to lobby for the B's to reach for greatness through player personal changes. Isn't that the core of being a sports fan?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

Kesler, Ryan Kesler. my bad.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

If being the current the Stanley Cup champions didn't help you get over the collapse of the year before you clearly have other issues.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]relax yourself. If the playoffs were starting next week the B's would be prime for an early exit. Last year they caught some breaks and hit their stride at the same time. Expecting that to automatically repeat itself is extremely shortsighted. Every year is different. Not built for top line scoring??? Really? Then why are they paying Lucic, Krecji and Horton top line money? It is just accepted wisdom that playoff success requires two scoring lines. Otherwise it is easy to shut a team down. It Pete stands pat and does little, we shall see which one of our perspectives prevails.
    Posted by pumpsiefan[/QUOTE]

the short answer is: they aren't. Since when is 4.083 million, 4 million, and 3.75 million top line money? or maybe you meant to say the bergeron line. 5 mill, 900K plus bonuses, and 2.5 mill? hmmmm

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

stop being such dime store psychiatrist jerks. I don't sit in the dark and bemoan the collapse against the Flyers. I just don't think you can dismiss such a collapse out of hand. Yes, this team won the Cup. And yes they performed one of the all-time great chokes in NHL history. All within a one year span. All that proves is that the Bruins are capable of playing great hockey, and they are capable of stinking the joint out as they did at the start of this season and to a lesser degree for the past month or so.
    Get over yourselves. It's a game. And being a fan means you can cheer and boo, praise and lament. If you want only one mindset then go root for the BYU swim team. Idiots.
    And come on, Bostonfan, obviously the Krecji line is designated by management as their top line and counted on to score. And it is simply a fact that neither Krecji or Horton has shown the consistency to warrent that designation. Spin any numbers you want, that's a fact Jack.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]Feel bad for somebody else. I am fine. You remind me of the Pollyannas who campaigned that fans should not have been upset at the Sox collapse last year because we won in '04 and '08. By your logic the two Super Bowl losses to the Giants shouldn't matter because we beat the Rams and the Panthers. Crapola.  Obviously the point I was making with "fortunate bounces" is my belief that winning the Cup doesn't necessarily qualify the Bruins as a great team, just like winning the World Series two years ago didn't make the Giants a "great" baseball team. The Bruins had their share of fortunate bounces and maybe a few more, and to their credit they did hit their stride at the right time. Frankly, I was amazed at how several of the second-tier players like Ferrence stepped up their games. But seriously, I always felt the Canucks had more talent and whose to say how it would have gone if Kessler had been healthy or Tim T. hadn't had a series for the ages. My point in the original post was you can't count on a 38 year old goalie being able to duplicate that. Of course diehards and Pollyannas are going to disagree, but despite the Cup victory, I just don't see the B's as a great team - just a good one and when they are firing on all cylinders a very good one. And obviously, as a true fan, I am going to lobby for the B's to reach for greatness through player personal changes. Isn't that the core of being a sports fan?
    Posted by pumpsiefan[/QUOTE]

No sir....my logic is not "the two Super Bowl losses to the Giants shouldn't matter because we beat the Rams and the Panthers."  That's absurd thinking.

The Bruins team that WON. THE. CUP. is the SAME team (save for Seguin, Kaberle, Kelly, Campbell, Horton and Peverley) as the one that lost to Philly.....only ONE YEAR BEFORE!  We're not talking about several seasons here.  Just one.

The Patriots team that lost to the Giants is NOT the same team as the one that won Super Bowls.  Heck....the Pats team that lost to Giants a few weeks ago isn't even the same team that lost to the Giants in '07.  The Sox team that collapsed in September is NOT the same team as the ones that won World Series.  Your argument is flawed.

The Bruins are STILL one of the favorites to win the Cup.  Again.  Are they perfect?  Nope.  And neither is anyone else.  Does PC need to make a move or two to make the team better?  Yes.  And I think he will.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Did any realistic Bruins fan expect them to just coast throught the season? They had their share of hiccups last year and won the cup.

Injuries happen to every team, every year, I wouldnt wait for a sympathy card in the mail.

The collapse to the Flyers? Your still talking about that? Thats water under the bridge, erased by a sweep of the Flyers less than a year later enroute to a Stanley Cup.

Every road, even those roads that lead to Championships have bumps in them. Those bumps include slumps, injuries, suspensions, blown leads and soft goals. and even seem as deep as a pothole on a Boston Street.

Like last years Stanley Cup playoffs? Remember how it started? Losing two at home to the Habs.

I think you need a reality check.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Realities ? Weren't you the same poster who suggested that the editors of the Boston Globe should hire a-certain-poster to write for their Sunday's sports column ?

Realities !!!!! BAHAHA. Good one !

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]Realities ? Weren't you the same poster who suggested that the editors of the Boston Globe should hire a-certain-poster to write for their Sunday's sports column ? Realities !!!!! BAHAHA. Good one !
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Haha, i remember that, was it the OP who suggested this?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

No, your arguement seemed to be that the distrust I felt towards the chemistry and character of the Bruins as a result of the 3-0 collapse was no longer valid because they won the Cup last year. I simply disagree. It was a GREAT Cup victory, but it did not ordain the Bruins as a great team. They are still a "coin flip" squad capable of very good play and of a streak of stinkeroos as well.
    The obvious question is does this years team resemble last year's squad in terms of cohesion and effort or is it more similar to the 2010 squad. I think the record of the past month or so answers that.
    Do you really think the B's are one of the favorites to win the Cup this season? Hell, if they draw Carolina in the opening round I seriously doubt they will last beyond that.

Sections
Shortcuts