Will Seguin play center or wing?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Will Seguin play center or wing?

Just read Matt Kalman's article on why we might see Seguin as the 3rd line center. Untill now I have been a strong proponent for Seguin to fill Recchi's spot with Bergeron, BUT, Kalman has some good points. Center is where Seguin should blossom and display all of his skills. Caron or Peverly will fill the defensive role with Bergeron better than Seguin. This could give the Bruins 3 scoring lines, and drive other teams nuts deciding who to cover with their A defensemen. These thoughts give me pause, since Kreji, Bergeron ard Campbell are all strong at center ice, and Seguin could form another strong center ice capability which could lead the Bruins to a four line, fast skating, scoring potential. Any thoughts , complementary or negative, take your shot.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Re: Will Seguin play center or wing?

I am fine with Seguin as either the 3rd line centre or 2nd line winger.  Since centre seems to be his natural position and is likely where he will end up playing in the future, playing 3rd line centre would allow him to develop towards that end.  As a 2nd line winger he would get the chance to display his offense a little more and that would be good in regards to confidence and getting on the scoresheet more consistently. 

Therefore either of these options plus a spot on the 2nd powerplay unit work for me.  I do not want to see him back on the 3rd line as a winger as I do not think that is giving him a chance to move forward with his development.  I also think he needs to be given a fair shot to succeed (up until Christmas would be reasonable).  Last year it seemed that he was punished whenever he made a mistake.  In order to gain confidence and conistency you need to know that you are going to get a fair chance to prove yourself.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Seguin will play wherever Julien sees fit or injuries dictate.

One thing is for sure: he will be in the top three when it comes to point production.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsIn4. Show BruinsIn4's posts

I do not want to see TS as the third line centre if his two wingers are Poulliot and Kelly.  I don't see what the point of such a third line would be... defensive? No.  Offensive? No.
    If TS is the third line centre I would like to see Peverly as one of his wingers.  I think they could have some great chemistry.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In Response to Re: Will Seguin play center or wing?:
    Seguin will play wherever Julien sees fit or injuries dictate. One thing is for sure: he will be in the top three when it comes to point production.
    Posted by Wheatskins

I hope you are right that he is in the top 3 in points Wheat.  That will mean he is getting playing time, power play time and is having success.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

In Response to Re: Will Seguin play center or wing?:
    I do not want to see TS as the third line centre if his two wingers are Poulliot and Kelly.  I don't see what the point of such a third line would be... defensive? No.  Offensive? No. If TS is the third line centre I would like to see Peverly as one of his wingers.  I think they could have some great chemistry.
    Posted by BruinsIn4

Very well said.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

If Seguin isn't excelling at center by late November or mid December then he is behind in development. Tyler should be on the half wall during the 1st unit PP because he has a quicker, more accurate shot than both Horton and Lucic.

I really see Kelly being made expendable at some point by either Caron or Sauve. So I don't see Chris hindering Seguin on the third line because if Pouliot and Tyler create some good cohesion "asta Lasagna Chris don't get any on yah". Now if Tyler continues to frustrate Julien defensively then Kelly stays and again Seguin is behind in development then he stays at wing till he gets it straight which will hinder the 3rd line for scoring.

Peverley at some point will get extended because he really started to get it with Bergeron and Marchand. I don not expect that to change at the beginning of the season plus he's versatile enough to go down and help Tyler.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuturmouthwhenimtalkingtoyou. Show shuturmouthwhenimtalkingtoyou's posts

Peverly doesn't pass well enough to justify a top 6 spot. He also doesn't shoot well enough to justify a top 6 spot. He skates hard on attack, skates hard on the backcheck, works hard in the corners and doesn't make too many mistakes. In other words, he is a bottom 6 winger with good speed. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I'm on record as saying that where Julien wants Seguin to play is the #1 decision to make in camp, and it causes a number of other dominoes to fall. This is a good topic, and I apologize in advance for just copying what I wrote over on Kalman's blog:

Seguin needs as much stability, talent and veteran support around him as possible in Year #2, which in my opinion means no to the 4th line, no to Marchand on the opposing wing and no to the unproven Pouliot. Any other combo would be fine for his development, but some combos project to be stronger than others. Here me out on this, as I know the first reaction will be "huh?"

With ALL factors accounted for, if Seguin plays wing:

Marchand-Krejci-Horton
    Lucic-Bergeron-Seguin
    Pouliot-Kelly-Peverly
    Thornton-Campbell-Paille

Some will question breaking up the top line, but I really don't see value in having Seguin and Marchand on the same line. They both have some growing to do, and better to surround both of them with veteran talent to maximize their potential. On the topic of dropping Lucic or Horton, I think it's best to keep natural positions in-tact, and Lucic to me has a better chance of maintaining his scoring totals with added defensive responsibility compared with Horton, who seemed to do best when the leashes are off. And good lord, those four lines are balanced and could put up some great numbers, couldn't they? Speed, scoring ability, defensive responsibility and balance across all lines. I love it.

And if Seguin plays center:

Lucic-Krejci-Horton
    Marchand-Bergeron-Pouliot
    Kelly-Seguin-Peverly
    Thornton-Campbell-Paille

Again, development at center requires support and veteran presence. What better way to do this than by placing two experienced centers on his side? I would hesitate to have the unproven Pouliot next to Seguin, and although Kelly doesn't inspire me offensively, he does have a great all-around game to teach Seguin, and Peverly can provide the speed and pluck on the wing that opens up that line offensively. Poluiot up on the 2nd is a risk until we see more, but perhaps that's a good way for someone like Caron to come in and create competition. Better this as opposed to Peverly up on the second and an uninspiring Kelly-Seguin-Pouliot 3rd line, right?

So yes, it begins and ends with Seguin. Once that decision is made, the rest will fall into place. Great topic, and the one I am most excited to see play out in camp.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

The B's system seems to dictate that the center stays high in the O zone, as the forwards are responsible for getting down low and forcing turnovers. This makes the center primarily responsible for shutting down the transition of the opponent as the proverbial "3rd man high".
    With that said, if CJ still doesn't find that Seguin has progessed enough defensively to accept this responsibility, he stays at wing regardless  of his offensive prowess as a center. Kelly or Peverly is your 3rd line center.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

in thinking about this, if Julien does use a line of Seguin/Peverly/Kelly (or at least 2 of the 3), in which all 3 guys can act as a center or a wing, does any of this really matter? if all the linemates are hybrid types, Seguin could still technically be the offensive center but have resposibilities of a winger defensively.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

I think it takes three good players to complete a truely good line.  For that reason I'd rather see Seguin on the second line giving us two potentially really good lines rather than a really good first line, a good second line and a potentially good third line. 

How many times last year (or the past few years) did people complain that Recchi was holding up Bergeron and Marchand?  All three forwards on any given line need to touch the puck and make plays.  Seguin is a creative passer, dynamic skater and has a wicked shot.  If you put him on the third line he will be playing with players that won't be ready to handle his passes, won't see him when he is open in the slot, and ultimately will not maximize the potential of what could be our best weapon.  There is nobody on the team with his skills and to play him with lesser players will be a waste.

I agree he should be a center when all is said and done.  I also think that a year on the wing with Bergeron, scoring 30 goals and 30 assists (yep, that's right), will be a huge boost to the kids confidence and he can then take that confidence into his third season when he transistions to center.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

Just read the whole article...

He lists Dan Paile as a possible winger with Seguin -- exactly why I don't want him on the third line

He also throws out the idea of putting him with Krecji and dropping either Lucic or Horton down to Bergeron's line -- that idea I like.  Less defensive responsibility, but still plays with skilled linemates

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I would like to see him start to transition to center, but in reality, kelly will center the 3rd line, and campbell the 4th..

Kelly loses a lot of his value by being moved to wing, Seguins a year off still from moving to the middle..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Play him with good offensive players ( Marchand and Bergeron ). He won't get that by centering the 3rd line.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Kelly is a real solid center and Julien likes him.  He also plays well with Peverley, with them switching positions frequently depending on the situation.  Seguin will likely play wing this year, he fits well with the quick-thinking Marchand and Bergeron.  He will also get some time at center for practice for future years.  The lines will not be stagnant over the course of the year, the never are with CJ.

Sections
Shortcuts