Will the Bruins apply this brilliant strategy against Philly tonight?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

Will the Bruins apply this brilliant strategy against Philly tonight?

HIT THEM!!!!

Or more to the point, stay up on the them, move them around and don't just let them stand 2 or 3 guys a foot away from the net.  

I've been saying this for two years.  Why do teams allow them to do this?  It has to be more complicated than I realize, because to me it seems so simple.  90% of their goals come from a second, third or even forth chance poke, by a stationary player standing right at the mouth of the goal.  Where if somone had just got up on the guy, and got him out of there, the goal doesn't happen

Now Rask played yesterday, which obviouslky means Thomas goes tonight The scary thought that hit me this morning is, as well as he played the last game and as brilliant as he played most of the season, the one weakness Thomas has is rebounds.  He always makes that first save, regardless of the dergree of difficulty, but many time he coughs up an appetizing rebound and can't get himself back in position to get the next one

That issue, combined with what Philly does all game long, gives me a bad feeling about tonight

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Re: Will the Bruins apply this brilliant strategy against Philly tonight?

In Response to Will the Bruins apply this brilliant strategy against Philly tonight?:
    [QUOTE]HIT THEM!!!! Or more to the point, stay up on the them, move them around and don't just let them stand 2 or 3 guys a foot away from the net.   I've been saying this for two years.  Why do teams allow them to do this?  It has to be more complicated than I realize, because to me it seems so simple.  90% of their goals come from a second, third or even forth chance poke, by a stationary player standing right at the mouth of the goal.  Where if somone had just got up on the guy, and got him out of there, the goal doesn't happen Now Rask played yesterday, which obviouslky means Thomas goes tonight The scary thought that hit me this morning is, as well as he played the last game and as brilliant as he played most of the season, the one weakness Thomas has is rebounds.  He always makes that first save, regardless of the dergree of difficulty, but many time he coughs up an appetizing rebound and can't get himself back in position to get the next one That issue, combined with what Philly does all game long, gives me a bad feeling about tonight
    Posted by Swerengen[/QUOTE]

I haven't gone back to look a all of the goals TT has allowed, but to me I remember more goals by way of a deflection rather than a rebound.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I wouldn't expect much from the Bruins today... plenty of excuses for not showing up (they're the best team in the East, we just played last night, we had to travel, need to stay healthy fro the playoffs, etc...)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Will the Bruins apply this brilliant strategy against Philly tonight?:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't expect much from the Bruins today... plenty of excuses for not showing up (they're the best team in the East, we just played last night, we had to travel, need to stay healthy fro the playoffs, etc...)
    Posted by Bruinfaninnewjersey[/QUOTE]

I disagree.  I think they're going to come out flying and play their best game of the season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Will the Bruins apply this brilliant strategy against Philly tonight?:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't expect much from the Bruins today... plenty of excuses for not showing up (they're the best team in the East, we just played last night, we had to travel, need to stay healthy fro the playoffs, etc...)
    Posted by Bruinfaninnewjersey[/QUOTE]

Really ? Boston to Philly ? No jetlag there.

I think the Bruins matchup pretty good tonight.  Bruins have the better goaltending , better D and our forwards are close to being equal with them.
    The biggest question on why Philly might not make it past the 1st round is they'll have to play a team that has better goaltending than them and Pronger not being 100%.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Tonight will be an interesting game to see how they match up with the elite of the East. Since the playoffs are just around the corner the B's "should" be getting their game face on. If not then the team may be in trouble.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from legolaspinkerton. Show legolaspinkerton's posts

In Response to Will the Bruins apply this brilliant strategy against Philly tonight?:
    [QUOTE]HIT THEM!!!! Or more to the point, stay up on the them, move them around and don't just let them stand 2 or 3 guys a foot away from the net.   I've been saying this for two years.  Why do teams allow them to do this?  It has to be more complicated than I realize, because to me it seems so simple.  90% of their goals come from a second, third or even forth chance poke, by a stationary player standing right at the mouth of the goal.  Where if somone had just got up on the guy, and got him out of there, the goal doesn't happen Now Rask played yesterday, which obviouslky means Thomas goes tonight The scary thought that hit me this morning is, as well as he played the last game and as brilliant as he played most of the season, the one weakness Thomas has is rebounds.  He always makes that first save, regardless of the dergree of difficulty, but many time he coughs up an appetizing rebound and can't get himself back in position to get the next one That issue, combined with what Philly does all game long, gives me a bad feeling about tonight

You can't just level any opposing player near the net. You'll get called for interference. The rules read that you're not allowed to hit a player who doesn't have the puck. Obviously players in front of the net get more license from the referees, but it's not a free pass to knock down an opposing player.

Controlling rebounds is tough for any goaltender. I actually think Thomas is better at it than Rask, but you can only do so much when it's a solid initial shot.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Could not decipher any "strategy". IMO the Bruins will be frustrated by the Ranger game, and should come out blazing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I really hope Paille gets the start over Glyder as he needs to be kept fresh.

Lucic-Krejci-Horton
    Marchand-Bergeron-Recchi
    Peverley-Kelly-Seguin
    Paille-Campbell-Thornton

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Don't count on it SanDog. If anything, Julien is just waiting until Seguin screws up so he can replace him with Paille. I would be very suprised if Ryder is benched again......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Will the Bruins apply this brilliant strategy against Philly tonight? : You can't just level any opposing player near the net. You'll get called for interference. The rules read that you're not allowed to hit a player who doesn't have the puck. Obviously players in front of the net get more license from the referees, but it's not a free pass to knock down an opposing player. Controlling rebounds is tough for any goaltender. I actually think Thomas is better at it than Rask, but you can only do so much when it's a solid initial shot.
    Posted by legolaspinkerton[/QUOTE]

You can't level them, yes, but you can move them, get in between them and the goalie.  Make it so they're not just standing there, completely unmolested with tons of space to just wait for a rebound to fall into their lap

I've seen so many of their goals come this exact same way and it's dumbfounding

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

B's should have a hate on tonight, if I was embare-assed like last year, Iwould come out fuming every game.

So far
    3-0 Win Dec1st                    Berg Seg Luc TT   Shelley/Thorn
    1-2 OT loss Dec 11th            Hort   TT         Shelley checking major/gm misc
    7-5 Win  13Jan                     Chara Berg Rec Ryd March Kamp Camp     TT
                                                 Shelley/Thorn

so good 5 out of a possible 6 points, lets see 7/8.

Thorn and Shelley will do their forgettable dance, hopefully the B's bring the rest.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from legolaspinkerton. Show legolaspinkerton's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will the Bruins apply this brilliant strategy against Philly tonight? : You can't level them, yes, but you can move them, get in between them and the goalie.  Make it so they're not just standing there, completely unmolested with tons of space to just wait for a rebound to fall into their lap I've seen so many of their goals come this exact same way and it's dumbfounding

I know what you're saying but I think you underestimate how difficult it is. Even if you have good 1-on-1 coverage on every player, the defensemen would have to play behind the net-front forwards to do what you're suggesting. Not only would this leave the net-front forward with easy chances to redirect shots, it would also take them out of position to block shots.

Clearing out rebounds is a vital part of good defense. But even if you're in perfect position you have to expect the occasional lucky bounce that will land right on a forward's tape.

But if you combine the solid rebound clearing you're suggesting with shot-blocking and (maybe most importantly) spending the majority of the game in the offensive zone, then I think you'd really have something. Let's hope they're up for it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Ok, I would like to have a great game to watch tonight.  The fact remains the Bs are not moving from the third position.  The regular season is over.  The only thing motivated the Bs is to get ready for the playoffs.  Could be worse, the Bs could be the Canes.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will the Bruins apply this brilliant strategy against Philly tonight? : You can't level them, yes, but you can move them, get in between them and the goalie.  Make it so they're not just standing there, completely unmolested with tons of space to just wait for a rebound to fall into their lap I've seen so many of their goals come this exact same way and it's dumbfounding
    That's a bit of a tough call Swerengen.Getting in between the player and goalie will,often times,create even more of a screen for the goaltender.In the post-lockout NHL,there's little more to be legally done than tying up a players stick.Unfortunately,too often I'm seeing penalties called for stick on stick infractions.Recchi's been called in each of the last 2 games for hooking a players stick.It's frustrating for the players and fans.The inconsistency is maddening as it seems to be getting like football in that a penalty could be called on every play depeding upon the referee's discretion.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

n Response to Re: Will the Bruins apply this brilliant strategy against Philly tonight?:
    [QUOTE]Ok, I would like to have a great game to watch tonight.  The fact remains the Bs are not moving from the third position.  The regular season is over.  The only thing motivated the Bs is to get ready for the playoffs.  Could be worse, the Bs could be the Canes.  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

Agree they're not moving out of the 3-spot (altho' I shouldn't jinx them--it could happen, given that horrid 4-game puke-fest they went on), but still tonight's game (and almost all the rest save those against non-playoff teams) are statement and momentum games, and are pretty important for that reason.

Flyers are a team they could end up playing for all the east conf. marbles IF they're able to get past round 2 (no given) and they should be hyper-motivated to beat them in their own building and put some doubt in their first-place minds about what they're capabe of.

To me, one of the improvements I'd like to see is the D-men getting their shots off MUCH quicker from the points. How many shots did they put into the Rangers D-men that never reached Henrik yesterday? Athousand? A million?

They take too long to wind up for the huge slapper that inevitably goes high and wide anway. Try some quick snap shots instead b4 the other guys can get in the way to block it...forget speed, just get the puck on the net and go for tip-ins and rebounds...that's how most goals from the point are scored, and since the fwds have done a good recent job of shielding the puck long enuff to get it to the points, that's what they should be doing--get the puck to the net and create chances and goals as a result. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Fluto Shinzawa, Michael Ryder and Steven Kamper are the healthy scratches. Daniel Paille is in."

Well JM sometimes Clode can make the right decesion...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will the Bruins apply this brilliant strategy against Philly tonight? : I disagree.  I think they're going to come out flying and play their best game of the season.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Well, not their best of the season... but good call NAS. And good call to SanDog having Glyder as the scratch!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

Bumping this old thread of mine to point something out.......Anyone notice that they're doing exactly what I posted above?

One of the big factors in this series has been how they've played Philly defensively in front of Thomas.  They are doing two things 

1: Pound, push and put a body on any Flyer who gets anywhere near the net.  They're not allowing anything easy for a guy who is just standing there, unmolested, waiting to slap at a sliding puck 2 feet away from the goal. 

2: When there is a rebound, they're getting to the puck first and quickly getting it out of there.  Which is made easier because of reason # 1

This is how Philly has been winning hockey games for two years now.....rebounds.  They always have 2-3 guys right up in front of the goalie just swinging away freely for easy ones.  Brier, Richards and Hartnell live off  goals like that.  It amazed me that teams weren't countering this.   

Finally someone has and the Flyers look lost and helpless because of it

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

[QUOTE]Bumping this old thread of mine to point something out.......Anyone notice that they're doing exactly what I posted above? One of the big factors in this series has been how they've played Philly defensively in front of Thomas.  They are doing two things  1: Pound, push and put a body on any Flyer who gets anywhere near the net.  They're not allowing anything easy for a guy who is just standing there, unmolested, waiting to slap at a sliding puck 2 feet away from the goal.  2: When there is a rebound, they're getting to the puck first and quickly getting it out of there.  Which is made easier because of reason # 1 This is how Philly has been winning hockey games for two years now.....rebounds.  They always have 2-3 guys right up in front of the goalie just swinging away freely for easy ones.  Brier, Richards and Hartnell live off  goals like that.  It amazed me that teams weren't countering this.    Finally someone has and the Flyers look lost and helpless because of it

And they're not only taking care of bodies in front of the net but banging all over the ice. Always has been and I hope always will be the Bruins way! Too bad the refs took this away in the Habs series, this is so much better to watch.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will the Bruins apply this brilliant strategy against Philly tonight? : And they're not only taking care of bodies in front of the net but banging all over the ice. Always has been and I hope always will be the Bruins way! Too bad the refs took this away in the Habs series, this is so much better to watch.
    Posted by OrrandPapiRGods[/QUOTE]

If only they did it in last years Philly series

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

The rule changes have really hurt.  Back in the day you could mug guys who tried to park themselves in front of the net.

Sections
Shortcuts